Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Peters Bill Peters is offline

Default Zoom H2?

Where can I find reviews and what are some opinions here about the Zoom H2?

Thanks,
BP

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/13/2010 5:59 AM, Bill Peters wrote:
Where can I find reviews and what are some opinions here
about the Zoom H2?

http://www.proaudioreview.com/article/16666

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

On Dec 13, 2:59*am, "Bill Peters" wrote:
Where can I find reviews and what are some opinions here about the Zoom H2?

Thanks,
BP

I've done various comparisons of the H2.

My first post, comparing to a pair of Schoeps CMC641s through a John
Hardy/LynxTwo recording chain. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2007/12/01/zoom-h2/

Compared to some other handheld recorders and some Schoeps into a
Sound Devices recorder, with technical goofs on my part:
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2008/...er-comparison/

Compared to the Zoom H4n along with a pair of Shure KSM141s through
the Hardy/Lynx chain: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Using the H2 as a powered mic for inexpensive video recorders:
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...the-kodak-zi8/
and http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...t-the-zoom-h2/

I've use mine to catch the board mix at a bunch of gigs - an external
attenuator is required because the Line In on the H2 is quite a bit
too sensitive for the Line Out of the mixers I've experienced.
http://www.youtube.com/franguidry#p/u/17/7-xRyWQVNvA

I've also used it for the audio track of outdoor videos, with a third
party dead rat style windscreen: http://www.youtube.com/franguidry#p/u/12/PvjkWyDIM20

The 4 mic layout is very convenient for recording "in the round"
rehearsals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvJTFckFBPQ

The mics are directional and arrayed in a reasonable stereo pattern.
Most of the small recorders I know about feature a pair of omni mics a
few inches apart, basically two channel mono.

The "stand up" form factor is also darned handy. Some of the Zoom
family nearly require a stand of some time, which seems like a silly
way to configure a pocket recorder.

You can use the H2 as a stereo USB mic to record directly into your
computer. It shares this ability with some but not all pocket
recorders.

Downsides - a bit noisier than a serious recording chain, a bit rolled
off on top maybe, and a fairly strong proximity effect I think. The
result can sound a bit boomy or dull. The build quality is not very
impressive feeling, but my first one lasted several years of constant
use before I made the mistake of putting it under someone's foot.

The market for music quality pocket recorders has filled up nicely
over the last few years. I've stayed with my H2 for various reasons. I
bought a new (second hand) H2 to replace the injured one, I didn't
find anything that had a better combination of the features that I
value.

Fran
http://www.kaleponi.com
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Bill Peters wrote:
Where can I find reviews and what are some opinions here about the
Zoom H2?
Thanks,
BP

Try he

http://tinyurl.com/2cmdfut

;-)

geoff

Zoom H2 Modification Erik Korte Pro Audio 7 March 30th 10 07:50 PM
Zoom H2 vs H4 Gregory[_7_] Pro Audio 5 March 21st 08 06:18 PM
I just got the Zoom H2 [email protected] Pro Audio 25 September 17th 07 10:39 PM
ZOOM 9 vs. Zoom 7.???? SSMusic[_2_] Pro Audio 0 May 28th 07 06:57 PM
i just pre-ordered the zoom h2 [email protected] Pro Audio 0 May 2nd 07 10:13 PM