Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Magnepan MMG

I ordered a pair of MMGs and received them on Thursday. They are going
back. They appear to be very well made but they don't sound as good as
my old DBX Soundfield Ones. The 10 inch woofers in the DBX speakers are
in poor repair (foam rot) but I have the bass control on the speaker
controller set low and the bass is handled by sub woofers.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:03:18 -0700, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

I ordered a pair of MMGs and received them on Thursday. They are going
back. They appear to be very well made but they don't sound as good as
my old DBX Soundfield Ones. The 10 inch woofers in the DBX speakers are
in poor repair (foam rot) but I have the bass control on the speaker
controller set low and the bass is handled by sub woofers.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Well, Not trying to tell you what to do here, but I wouldn't be too hasty
were I you. Maggies are shipped with the mylar diaphragms tightly stretched.
While most of this stuff about speaker break-in, I take with a grain of salt,
as someone who has owned many different Magneplanars: Tympani-1Ds,
Tympany-3Cs, MG-2s, MG-3Cs, and SMGs (the MMG's predecessor), I can tell you
that out of the box, all Magneplanars sound somewhat thin and will for about
the first 50 or so hours. as the mylar stretches, they will sound better and
better up to a point. I have friend who has a pair of MMGs in his den/office
and I think that they sound magnificent, easily the best sounding pair of
sub- $1000 speakers that I have ever heard. Give 'em a few weeks, you'll be
glad you did.

Magnepan MMG [email protected] Audio Opinions 4 February 21st 05 06:14 AM
FS/FT: Magnepan SMGA Da S Marketplace 0 July 8th 04 04:00 AM
Magnepan MG 1 [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 18th 04 01:33 AM
Magnepan MG 1 [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 18th 04 01:33 AM