Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] muzician21@yahoo.com is offline

Default Do you think typical studios would do this?

Someone says they want to record themselves singing to tracks in your
studio. They don't want you to do anything but record their vocals.
Several takes each on say 3 songs. Whatever happens happens good or
bad. No tweaking or editing of any sort, no punch-in's, nuthin'. Then
give them the raw .wav files of their vocals on CD which someone else
will edit/tweak/master. I.e. they're just hiring your mic, room,
software & button pushing and getting it knocked out as quickly - ie.
cheaply - as possible. A friend or relative with a DAW in another
state will do the rest for free.

Do you think most studios will be willing to do this?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Jul 1, 4:36 pm, wrote:
Someone says they want to record themselves singing to tracks in your
studio. They don't want you to do anything but record their vocals.
Several takes each on say 3 songs. Whatever happens happens good or
bad. No tweaking or editing of any sort, no punch-in's, nuthin'. Then
give them the raw .wav files of their vocals on CD which someone else
will edit/tweak/master. I.e. they're just hiring your mic, room,
software & button pushing and getting it knocked out as quickly - ie.
cheaply - as possible. A friend or relative with a DAW in another
state will do the rest for free.

Do you think most studios will be willing to do this?

It's done all the time. As long as the time is paid for, what does it
matter?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

wrote in message ...
Someone says they want to record themselves singing to tracks in your
studio. They don't want you to do anything but record their vocals.
Several takes each on say 3 songs. Whatever happens happens good or
bad. No tweaking or editing of any sort, no punch-in's, nuthin'. Then
give them the raw .wav files of their vocals on CD which someone else
will edit/tweak/master. I.e. they're just hiring your mic, room,
software & button pushing and getting it knocked out as quickly - ie.
cheaply - as possible. A friend or relative with a DAW in another
state will do the rest for free.

Do you think most studios will be willing to do this?

I can't say that it would be bumped to the top of the list or displace
anything regular... but it sounds like a pretty normal phone call to me.

I'm getting a music bed from LaLa-land on Monday and a local
horn player will put down a solo... then I'm shipping the tracks right
back to the coast. Doesn't sound all that different to me. Your
example seems to be to take advantage of the room, the tools,
and the recording talent... the latter is for saving time, air fare,
hotel, and to corner a great horn player for just a couple of
hours time and a postage stamp. If there was a decent ISDN
line at the studio, it wouldn't even cost the postage stamp.

However... I also can't say that I'd care for the thought of continuing
to move forward if there's potential crappola going down on the
tracks (no "punch-ins" or fixes, you said) that walk out with me
associated with them. Several takes is one thing, but not bothering
to get even one of them close to right is kinda' nutty if you ask me.
And if you can't "tweak or edit" either (comp together at least one
good track), then it's tempting to get caught up in having a clear
conscience about taking the client's money.... but I guess most
people could get over that.

DM

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Someone says they want to record themselves singing to tracks in your
studio. They don't want you to do anything but record their vocals.
Several takes each on say 3 songs. Whatever happens happens good or
bad. No tweaking or editing of any sort, no punch-in's, nuthin'. Then
give them the raw .wav files of their vocals on CD which someone else
will edit/tweak/master. I.e. they're just hiring your mic, room,
software & button pushing and getting it knocked out as quickly - ie.
cheaply - as possible. A friend or relative with a DAW in another
state will do the rest for free.

Do you think most studios will be willing to do this?

Sure, and they'll charge time and materials.

Budget three or four times as much time as you think you'll need.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

I run a studio and do this several times a month.
Unfortunately not many real talents. Not to worry, i have AutoTune.