Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Textbook Error!

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 1:08:38 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/07/2015 15:15, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

Or in the case of one DJ/ Station combo I know of, the DJ's in the UK,
and the transmitter's in the Netherlands, broadcasting on short wave. He
records his set and just sends a file to the station.

This was very common back in the days before satellite. I worked once for
a high-powered play-for-pay AM station that took all of their programming
on 7.5 ips tapes in the mail from various organizations across the country.

Similar things were used by the Mexican border blaster stations which often
could not get a reliable STL from San Diego to Tijuana, so they just recorded
programming, drove it over, and broadcast "live via Ampex tape delay."

Now satellite is more typical in the US with most stations being owned by
large combines.... many of them take a satellite feed from the main studio
center and then insert local spots to make people think the programming is
local.

It's gone somewhat that way here, too, with decent local stations
starting up on a temporary licence, then being taken over by the big
chain, and turning into a clone of all the others.

Though lately, I seem to be hearing more computer playlist programmes
with the DJ recording the links in half an hour or so, then turning it
all over to the computer. There's one station I listen to in France that
seems to use a playlist and a computer, and also a repertoire of
pre-recorded links, so the only guy in the studio complex mpst of the
time is the one checking for material going out, and I suspect he's
asleep half the time. The only reason they'd need anyone live would be
for traffic reports, and I reckon they're phoned in from the police HQ.

Then we get BBC Radio 4, which is a mix of live current affairs and
pre-recorded drama.

Pre-recorded drama? A Zoomer radio, 740kHz (?), AM, plays old radio shows, like The Lone Ranger. Their signal is amazing, reaching from Toronto, Canada!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On 10 Jul 2015 10:15:35 -0400 "Scott Dorsey" wrote in
article
to make people think the programming is
local.

"It's 10 past the hour" is the usual dead giveaway...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 8:28:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:45:24 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/07/2015 09:55, Trevor wrote:
On 9/07/2015 11:29 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

egroups.com...
JackA: CDs on the radio:

That's because DJs handled entire discs,
smudging their finger prints all over them!

Remember time is money, so DJs are in a
hurry to cue up their sets.

D'oh! Radio disc jockeys cue up recordings while other recordings are
playing, so it doesn't cost anyone any time or money, and they're not in
any particular hurry.

Not only that, but a lot of them record their entire set for later
broadcast.

Very common these days with stations looking to cut costs as much as
possible. Talkback being the main exception.

Or in the case of one DJ/ Station combo I know of, the DJ's in the UK,
and the transmitter's in the Netherlands, broadcasting on short wave. He
records his set and just sends a file to the station.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

If you all would LOOK at the SPECIFIC JackA
comment I replied to: He stated when CDs
"BEGAN HITTING THE MARKET" - as in THIRTY
YEARS AGO - NOT now.

Pay attention to the context in which I made
my comment instead of making yourselves look
DUMB.

Yeah, late '80's, sold I sold myself on buying a CD player and a couple CDs.. The Doobie Brothers hits was okay, a bit bright sounding though. However, the Elton John CD was an embarrassment to Audio CD. I had a mint vinyl LP counterpart, no tape hiss one it, but the CD was LOADED. Shows what crap was initially issued. I returned the CD player for a refund, salesperson thought I was nuts.

But Liberty Records issued some foul sounding "abridged" vinyl LPs, like Canned Heat's. The song, Amphetamine Annie, was removed, I assume fear of President Nixon's warning, glorifying drug use.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @gmail.com wrote in message
If you all would LOOK at the SPECIFIC JackA
comment I replied to: He stated when CDs
"BEGAN HITTING THE MARKET" - as in THIRTY
YEARS AGO - NOT now.

Whoa, there, numpty! Maybe you should back off the hair-trigger on
your kooky caps-lock key, li'l buddy. Do you drink too much coffee or
something?

Just because you made some clueless comment earlier on in the thread,
that doesn't mean everyone is restricted to commenting on your spew.
There's this thing called thread drift. It happens, and on Usenet, you
can't do anything to stop it. You can throw a toddler tantrum, as
you're doing now, but all it does is confirm that you're a petulant
li'l brat.

But if you want to talk about that specific era, let's confirm that in
the early 1980's, when DJ's started playing CD's, they did just like
they did with phonograph records. They cued up upcoming songs while
other songs were playing. They weren't in any hurry, usually. They
were nowhere near the "time is money" calculation. They weren't
suddenly smearing fingerprints all over the media at unheard of rates,
because they were in some great rush. The whole notion is ridiculous.

Pay attention to the context in which I made
my comment instead of making yourselves look
DUMB

Pay attention to reality before you make idiotic comments, instead of
making yourself look dumb. ****. And if you post dumb****ery, and the
conversation drifts away, it's really dumb to come back throwing a
tantrum about how people should pay more attention to your
dumb****ery. You make yourself look dumb. ****.

KSBFCKWAFA. YRAADF.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/07/2015 9:10 a.m., JackA wrote:
However, the Elton John CD was an embarrassment to Audio CD.
I had a mint vinyl LP counterpart, no tape hiss one it, but the CD
was LOADED. Shows what crap was initially issued. I returned the CD
player for a refund, salesperson thought I was nuts.

So the vinyl was incapable of reproducing the tape hiss present on the
master ? No wonder the CD sounded 'bright' . Great ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:52:27 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 11/07/2015 9:10 a.m., JackA wrote:
However, the Elton John CD was an embarrassment to Audio CD.
I had a mint vinyl LP counterpart, no tape hiss one it, but the CD
was LOADED. Shows what crap was initially issued. I returned the CD
player for a refund, salesperson thought I was nuts.

So the vinyl was incapable of reproducing the tape hiss present on the
master ? No wonder the CD sounded 'bright' . Great ....

Geoff

Stop it. Vinyl LPs were VERY capable of reproducing tape hiss noise.

Actually, they remixed The Doobies for later CDs.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/07/2015 9:45 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/07/2015 09:55, Trevor wrote:
Not only that, but a lot of them record their entire set for later
broadcast.

Very common these days with stations looking to cut costs as much as
possible. Talkback being the main exception.

Or in the case of one DJ/ Station combo I know of, the DJ's in the UK,
and the transmitter's in the Netherlands, broadcasting on short wave.
He records his set and just sends a file to the station.

I've set up systems for DJ's recording their show at home and sending a
file to the station here. I doubt there are many actually doing midnight
to dawn in the studio any more, and some stations are remote/automated
24/7 now.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 1:13:39 PM UTC-4, Art wrote:
In article , says...

On 10/07/2015 9:45 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/07/2015 09:55, Trevor wrote:
Not only that, but a lot of them record their entire set for later
broadcast.

Very common these days with stations looking to cut costs as much as
possible. Talkback being the main exception.

Or in the case of one DJ/ Station combo I know of, the DJ's in the UK,
and the transmitter's in the Netherlands, broadcasting on short wave.
He records his set and just sends a file to the station.

I've set up systems for DJ's recording their show at home and sending a
file to the station here. I doubt there are many actually doing midnight
to dawn in the studio any more, and some stations are remote/automated
24/7 now.

Trevor.

On WXPN in Philadelphia Chuck van Zyl hosts Star's End from 1:00A to
6:00A on Sunday mornings where he's live in the studio spinning
Electronic Space music CD's. Sometimes there are even live bands on the
show for which I do the enegineering. There's someting magical about
being live in the studio at 3:00 in the morning sending music out over
the airwaves and internet stream to people who are listening at that
hour. Of course for listeners in other parts of the world it's not the
middle of the night.

Art Cohen
Alpenhof Studios

Not Philadelphia, but PA.

David die USED to be interesting to listen to. Why offer HD radio and play monophonic recordings of the past?

Told Bruce, manager, too much LGBT related stuff, out of his control, so I see what the University of Pennsylvania is up to.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Told Bruce, manager, too much LGBT related stuff,
out of his control, so I see what the University of
Pennsylvania is up to. "

That'll be fine, Jack.