Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Lehrman Paul Lehrman is offline

Default Audio instructor wanted--Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts

Tufts University's program in Music Engineering is looking for a part-time lecturer to teach an undergraduate course, Music Recording & Production, in the Fall semester of 2015. The course covers the theory and practice of audio recording, editing, processing, and mixing. It meets in the computer lab in Granoff Music Center on the Medford campus, which is equipped with 13 iMacs, MboxPro2 interfaces, ProTools 10/11, JBL monitors, and plug-ins from iZotope and Melodyne.

The course meets in two sections, one a subset of the other, with a combined enrollment of no more than 12. All of the students in both sections are required to have a musical background, as players, songwriters, and/or composers.

The larger section--Music 65--is open to engineering and liberal arts majors, and covers basic theory, techniques, tools, etc., with lots of hands-on recording, editing, and mixing work. This course is taught by Dr. Paul Lehrman.

The smaller section--course number TBD--is only open to students with strong math and electrical engineering backgrounds, and will deal with advanced theory and equipment design in acoustics, psychoacoustics, analog signal processing, and digital signal processing. The successful candidate will teach this course.

The students will produce four recording projects over the semester, and will work in teams, which will be constituted by the instructors so as to comprise complementary skill sets. The students will record in various spaces around the music building, using ProTools and an assortment of Shure, Røde, Sennheiser, AKG, and Audio-Technica microphones; a Yamaha 01V96 mixer; and a MOTU 828 interface.

A week-by-week plan for the course is he http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/mr...015outline.pdf. The third column contains the subject matter that is covered in the Engineering section.

The time commitment is:
* Class period every Thursday 6:00-7:15 pm, September 10 through December 10 (except Thanksgiving), with appropriate preparation and setup time.
* Several Tuesday and Thursday afternoon classes (3:00-4:15) as noted on the plan.
* Project evaluation sessions December 14 and 17, as noted.
* Conferences over the summer with Dr. Lehrman to fine-tune the syllabus.

Applicants should have:
* Significant professional experience in audio engineering for music, including recording, broadcast, multimedia, and/or live sound.
* Advanced knowledge of analog and digital principles and design, including mathematics, physics, and electronics, as they apply to audio recording, mixing, and processing.
* Classroom teaching experience, preferably at the college level, and demonstrated ability to deal with very smart, engaged students.
* Experience providing criticism and guidance for students' projects in technical, musical, and aesthetic terms.
* Access to instructional materials that can be used by students for exercises, including multitrack recordings (especially rough and problematic tracks), surround mixes, live concert recordings, film soundtracks, etc. (Since we work in an academic setting, copyright issues are not a concern.)

The appointment is for one semester, with a possibility of continuing in subsequent academic years. The salary is the standard for a single-course part-time lecturer. Review of applications begins immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.

Applicants should submit a resume, a letter of intent, a teaching statement, and past teaching evaluations (if available). Please arrange for at least two confidential letters of recommendation to be submitted as well. All application materials should be submitted via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/30251. Questions about the position may be directed to Paul D. Lehrman, Director, Music Technology, Department of Music at .

Tufts University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 19:24:42 -0700 (PDT) "Paul Lehrman"
wrote in article db1f0041-9bec-497b-88ac-

The salary is the standard for a single-course part-time lecturer.

Around here, at the State of NY U in the town where I live, part-time
instructors are paid so little as to make their time worthless. My
daughter was one. I wonder what Tufts is paying.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 9:06:07 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

Around here, at the State of NY U in the town where I live, part-time
instructors are paid so little as to make their time worthless. My
daughter was one. I wonder what Tufts is paying.

Tufts adjuncts are unionized, so the job probably pays pretty well. What I don't understand is how they expect the instructor to teach the material to newbies with weekly classes of only an hour and 15 minutes.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

I know a guy from Mass who really knows his stuff audio-wise,
but has a nasty disposition if you don't get what he says the
first time or disagree on some point or another.

He'll call you SHORT-BUS DUMB-**** if you make a small
mistake, and tell you to CRAWL BACK IN YOUR MOMMIES
CELLAR - even if your mother's been dead for the past five
years!!

Yep - He'll make tenure as an instructor. Can't seem to recall
his name though...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ thekma.thekma wrote in message
He'll call you SHORT-BUS DUMB-**** if you make a small mistake,

You mean a continuous pattern of abject cluelessness. When someone
tries to teach you, you just blubber about how you can prove that
they're wrong (and you fail). Dumb****ery like yours is a lot more
than a small mistake.

and tell you to CRAWL BACK IN YOUR MOMMIES CELLAR

Well, I never actually said that, but go ahead and kook-dance it you
must.

And thanks for responding yet again. I think you make more posts about
me than anyone else; it must be what you call "ignoring" me. And I
think most of the responses to my posts are from you, too, a lot of
them imploring everyone else not to respond to my posts. And I may be
the one who responds to you, at least in the newsgroups I read
regularly. There's a huge clue in there for you, but I know you are
immune to clues, so you won't get it.

BSTFKYMFS. HSK. FCKWAFA.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:06:29 -0700 (PDT) "PStamler"
wrote in article
Tufts adjuncts are unionized, so the job probably pays pretty well.

They (now) are here as well. It has made some difference, but given the
amount of out-of-class prep time it's still pitiful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil W: For your info. the troll is the one spewing
DUMB**** SHORT BUS and other non-contributory
epithets.

Scroll up about 3 or 4 posts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ dumb****.shortbus.edu wrote in message
Phil W: For your info. the troll is the one spewing
DUMB**** SHORT BUS

And for your info, Thickmama, you are the one BEING a short bus
dumb****.

and other non-contributory epithets.

Scroll up about 3 or 4 posts.

You continue to think that everyone else sees Usenet through the same
dumb**** interface that you use. It's been explained to you, countless
times, but a granite-skull dumb**** like you is immune to the hammer
blows of numerous clue-by-fours.

And once again, thank you for paying so much attention to me (which
seems to be called "ignoring" in Thekma Dum****ese). Maybe you need a
hobby (other than throwing troll tantrums online).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Jason wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:06:29 -0700 (PDT) "PStamler"
wrote in article
Tufts adjuncts are unionized, so the job probably pays pretty well.

They (now) are here as well. It has made some difference, but given the
amount of out-of-class prep time it's still pitiful.

Oddly enough, our local community colleges pay better for adjuncts than
the two state four-year colleges nearby.

The thing about audio production programs, though, is that they are usually
made almost entirely of adjunct faculty, and those people are mostly working
engineers. This makes the dynamics a little bit different than the people
they hire to teach freshman calc.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Thekma

Am I the only one who's cracked the code here?

"The K-Man Rocks"

What does K stand for? Could be Knucklehead, not likely Knowledgeseeker.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Am I the only one who's cracked the code here?

"The K-Man Rocks"

What does K stand for? Could be Knucklehead, not likely
Knowledgeseeker.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

The Kcufbmuf-kid rocks the short bus!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 7/5/2015 11:29 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Am I the only one who's cracked the code here?

"The K-Man Rocks"

What does K stand for? Could be Knucklehead, not likely Knowledgeseeker.

Odd. I always decoded it as Thek Manrocks.

==
L...
RC

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/07/2015 21:39, Ron C wrote:
On 7/5/2015 11:29 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Am I the only one who's cracked the code here?

"The K-Man Rocks"

What does K stand for? Could be Knucklehead, not likely Knowledgeseeker.

Odd. I always decoded it as Thek Manrocks.

It's the Krooborg in disguise.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Ron C" wrote in message
Odd. I always decoded it as Thek Manrocks.

Thekmama. No manrocks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 05 Jul 2015, "Phil W" wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Once again, as it obviously cannot be said/written here often enough:

Do *NOT* feed the trolls!!!

Good point. I do try to stick to it... though with some of the idiocy
that's spouted here, sometimes it's very hard to bite my tongue.