Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Tape Recorders, Radio, HD Radio, Stereo, ETC.

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:43:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
9:03 PMMike Rivers wrote:
"On 6/30/2015 7:23 PM, JackA wrote:
Here's your Rumours album, featuring Gold Dust Woman.

Why are you bothering me with this? I have no interest in this music,
regardless of how much you love or hate the recording.

Mike, I WAS the one who breached Rumours. Apparently
JackA didn't make that clear.

-- Maybe a Google thing. Sorry, Mike, I beg your forgiveness.

-- But YOU, THEKMA, I think your the culprit for my error!!

:-)

Jack

Lemme ask you something Mike - seriously: Name at least 3
artists and a song or album by each of them that you actually
like! And in the mean time, give Rumours a spin(or download).
It's mellow, not gangsta, and you might come to enjoy it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/1/2015 5:21 AM, Trevor wrote:
Well I like all the artists you list, *and* Fleetwood Mac, so I don't
see them as mutually exclusive.

Neither do I. But I've been around long enough so that I have been
exposed to a lot of music that, while I don't categorically dislike, I
don't find any reason to pay any further attention to it.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/1/2015 2:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Listen to this. It's probably your best bet to actually like something from
that album given your tastes.

Why should I bother? There's more to listen to now than I have time or
the attention span for. Why is it so important to a few people here that
I listen to a Fleetwood Mac song? I've heard the band before. I have no
reason to hear yet another song from them.

I'm not saying that they're a bad band. Obviously they're been
successful. And I'm sure that their recording history has been
interesting. I just don't have any interest in them.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA, et al: "-- But YOU, THEKMA, I think your the culprit for my error!! "

Jack, look up the work TRUNCATION and write the definition down.

Google TRUNCATES my username. It is "THEKMANROCKS"!!! NOT
"thekma.."!

Sheez, I feel like "V' GER" from Star Trek The Motion Picture. JUST
REMOVE THE GRIME, Kirk!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 9:07:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA, et al: "-- But YOU, THEKMA, I think your the culprit for my error!! "

Jack, look up the work TRUNCATION and write the definition down.

Google TRUNCATES my username. It is "THEKMANROCKS"!!! NOT
"thekma.."!

If YOU know your name gets truncated, why not fix it, maybe change name to, Bob, maybe, Jim, maybe, Joe, and if you're one of those kind, maybe Caitlyn?? :-)

Sheez, I feel like "V' GER" from Star Trek The Motion Picture. JUST
REMOVE THE GRIME, Kirk!

Sorry, lost interest in Star Trek movies, liked the real TV deal!!!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 8:40:15 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/1/2015 2:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Listen to this. It's probably your best bet to actually like something from
that album given your tastes.

Why should I bother? There's more to listen to now than I have time or
the attention span for. Why is it so important to a few people here that
I listen to a Fleetwood Mac song? I've heard the band before. I have no
reason to hear yet another song from them.

I'm not saying that they're a bad band. Obviously they're been
successful. And I'm sure that their recording history has been
interesting. I just don't have any interest in them.

They, as with Heart, would have failed to gain much recognition if it weren't for the fact they added some nice looking female singer(s). That is what gained them popularity!! I mean, I just LOVED the cover of Rumours album with that sweet thing is ballet attire. Ahhhh...

Jack

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
It would be really hard for me to pick a favorite song from any of my
favorite artists, but I like just about anything from Mike Seeger,
Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Hank Bradley, Hank
Snow, Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Uncle Dave Macon, Homer & Jethro,
and Bob Wills.

That reminds me, you should listen to Sloan Wainwright. We had her at
a festival out in Waynesboro and she was amazing, with a very tight backup.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "It would be really hard for me to
pick a favorite song from any of my favorite artists, but
I like just about anything from Mike Seeger,
Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, Merle Travis,
Hank Bradley, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Hank
Thompson, Uncle Dave Macon, Homer & Jethro, ..."

Well, at least we have Hank Sr. in common! Do
you like anything by Jr?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/1/2015 2:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Listen to this. It's probably your best bet to actually like something from
that album given your tastes.

Why should I bother? There's more to listen to now than I have time or
the attention span for. Why is it so important to a few people here that
I listen to a Fleetwood Mac song? I've heard the band before. I have no
reason to hear yet another song from them.

I'm not saying that they're a bad band. Obviously they're been
successful. And I'm sure that their recording history has been
interesting. I just don't have any interest in them.

I'm wasn't attempting the Usenet equivalent of holding a gun to your head.
I was just stating that given the list of artists you enjoy, that
particular Fleetwood Mac song might have better odds of being something you
might like. If you don't want to click on the link, it's your call.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:16:20 AM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/1/2015 2:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Listen to this. It's probably your best bet to actually like something from
that album given your tastes.

Why should I bother? There's more to listen to now than I have time or
the attention span for. Why is it so important to a few people here that
I listen to a Fleetwood Mac song? I've heard the band before. I have no
reason to hear yet another song from them.

I'm not saying that they're a bad band. Obviously they're been
successful. And I'm sure that their recording history has been
interesting. I just don't have any interest in them.

I'm wasn't attempting the Usenet equivalent of holding a gun to your head.
I was just stating that given the list of artists you enjoy, that
particular Fleetwood Mac song might have better odds of being something you
might like. If you don't want to click on the link, it's your call.

I listen briefly to the Chain song. Not sure why claims HQ sound.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/1/2015 9:50 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
That reminds me, you should listen to Sloan Wainwright. We had her at
a festival out in Waynesboro and she was amazing, with a very tight backup.

There are so many of them these days. "Americana" isn't what I like,
though some people think all American folk music is "Americana" and vice
versa. At least I know that you know the difference.

KBCS (Seattle) that I listen to quite a bit just plays the dickens out
of Frayze Ford and I just don't get her at all. She doesn't enunciate
her words well, her "beats" are boring even though she has some good
musicians on the tracks, and her lyrics sparse and repetitive. Maybe
it's just the two or three songs that the station plays, but there's
nothing there that makes me want to investigate her music further, and a
lot that makes me take a few minutes to get away from the speakers and
have some tea.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/1/2015 9:50 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
That reminds me, you should listen to Sloan Wainwright. We had her at
a festival out in Waynesboro and she was amazing, with a very tight backup.

There are so many of them these days. "Americana" isn't what I like,
though some people think all American folk music is "Americana" and vice
versa. At least I know that you know the difference.

See, I would argue that her work isn't Americana or really any kind of folk
music at all. Mary Cliff may or may not differ.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 12:04:24 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/1/2015 10:59 AM, wrote:
Well, at least we have Hank Sr. in common! Do
you like anything by Jr?

If I heard him on the radio, I wouldn't turn him off, but then I
wouldn't be sure I was hearing him, either, until the song was announced
by the DJ. I don't own any records by him.

Oh, and while we're about Hanks, how could I forget Hank Alrich? He's
even still alive as far as I know.

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

I'm beginning to see the connection between Hank and yourself.

Where is Hank? MIA?

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/1/2015 12:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sloan Wainwright

Well, she's from the Loudon Wainright clan and I thought the only thing
folky about his music was his style. His songs occasionally gave me a
laugh but there's nothing particularly memorable about a dead skunk
other than that he wrote a song about it. His tribute to Charlie Poole
tribute album seemed like it came from the right part of his heart, but
there wasn't much there there. I'd rather listen to Charlie Poole.

As for Sloan, I saw a ukulele in the photo on the opening page of her
web site. What more can I say? She might put on a good show, but that
isn't necessarily going to lead me to listen to her music again.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 01/07/2015 16:59, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:16:20 AM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
I'm wasn't attempting the Usenet equivalent of holding a gun to your head.
I was just stating that given the list of artists you enjoy, that
particular Fleetwood Mac song might have better odds of being something you
might like. If you don't want to click on the link, it's your call.

I listen briefly to the Chain song. Not sure why claims HQ sound.

The copy I have is a good sounding recording. How close it is to the
performance I can't say, as I wasn't there on the day.

Its closeness to the original sound is the only way to define a high
quality recording, unless you're a salesman, in which case, it's
anything better than a 64k mp3.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson:

Rumours. JackA might just not be
used to so much space between the
instruments on some of the tracks, like
the Chain, etc.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 2:19:06 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/07/2015 16:59, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:16:20 AM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
I'm wasn't attempting the Usenet equivalent of holding a gun to your head.
I was just stating that given the list of artists you enjoy, that
particular Fleetwood Mac song might have better odds of being something you
might like. If you don't want to click on the link, it's your call.

I listen briefly to the Chain song. Not sure why claims HQ sound.

The copy I have is a good sounding recording. How close it is to the
performance I can't say, as I wasn't there on the day.

They pieced songs together, seldom a live performance, maybe two or more recording studios utilized. What gains Audiophile status? It's simple, acoustic guitars!! Like, The Eagles. When the last time you heard someone say - boy, that electric guitar sounds good. Never.

Its closeness to the original sound is the only way to define a high
quality recording, unless you're a salesman, in which case, it's
anything better than a 64k mp3.

- You have a point!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 01/07/2015 21:07, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 2:19:06 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/07/2015 16:59, JackA wrote:
I listen briefly to the Chain song. Not sure why claims HQ sound.

The copy I have is a good sounding recording. How close it is to the
performance I can't say, as I wasn't there on the day.

They pieced songs together, seldom a live performance, maybe two or more recording studios utilized. What gains Audiophile status? It's simple, acoustic guitars!! Like, The Eagles. When the last time you heard someone say - boy, that electric guitar sounds good. Never.

Apart from the many times I've heard one being played by a very talented
player in a really good band, with a decent drummer, a good bass player
and an excellent singer. Or when any if the several I've heard were
doing a solo...

Acoustic guitars are good in the right place as are amplified acoustic
guitars using either a pickup or microphone. If you get a really good
player, pushing the limits of their skills and the instrument's
capabilities, I can happily listen to it all day.

A high quality recording carries the nuances of an amazing performance
right through the chain.

Tell me, how do you like the Made In Japan album by Deep Purple? I
reckon it to be one of the best albums ever made. It was made on an 8
track recorder after the record company out a lot of pressure on the
band, who weren't interested in doing an album. You can hear the band
feeding off the audience and vice versa, even in a grotty mp3 version.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 4:32:58 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

John, I know of the album, but never heard it!!! I'll have to check it out one day!

Ever hear Smoke On The Water remix? This is where analog mixing and digital refinement join forces. I may have shortened this. Wish they had kept (mixed) the vocals out of the ending though (break a leg, etc.). Like the "damn-it!" ending. Guessing a guitar string break!....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...okeonwater.mp3

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

The sound is decidedly LQ. There is a distinct lack of 3kHz.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/07/2015 4:10 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Nora (especially 'earlier stuff') ? Fantastic recording. And the music
too, if that's your kinda thing. I guess that would largely classify as
'Americana' , and I'm not even American !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Enough from you. For me, I had to find the answer to my own discovery since, ahem, engineers, don't know or can't clearly hear how it is advantageous!!

Thank you for understanding!!

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 01/07/2015 21:41, JackA wrote:

Ever hear Smoke On The Water remix? This is where analog mixing and digital refinement join forces. I may have shortened this. Wish they had kept (mixed) the vocals out of the ending though (break a leg, etc.). Like the "damn-it!" ending. Guessing a guitar string break!....

*Which* Smoke on the Water remix? There were many different version
released by the band that I have on various media here. I've heard the
LP and CD versions of the live recording. As well as a couple of other
performances and remasterings and remixes...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 2:03:02 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/07/2015 21:41, JackA wrote:

Ever hear Smoke On The Water remix? This is where analog mixing and digital refinement join forces. I may have shortened this. Wish they had kept (mixed) the vocals out of the ending though (break a leg, etc.). Like the "damn-it!" ending. Guessing a guitar string break!....

*Which* Smoke on the Water remix? There were many different version
released by the band that I have on various media here. I've heard the
LP and CD versions of the live recording. As well as a couple of other
performances and remasterings and remixes...

I've heard only one, and that one became the (US) hit. So, I'm talking about the hit version. Not live, not remake, not edited, not nothing, the hit version. I posted a link for you to hear the hit version remixed!!! :-)

Maybe the remastering is so poor or your other collected ones, you thought it's a different version!!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/07/2015 13:22, JackA wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 2:03:02 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/07/2015 21:41, JackA wrote:

Ever hear Smoke On The Water remix? This is where analog mixing and digital refinement join forces. I may have shortened this. Wish they had kept (mixed) the vocals out of the ending though (break a leg, etc.). Like the "damn-it!" ending. Guessing a guitar string break!....

*Which* Smoke on the Water remix? There were many different version
released by the band that I have on various media here. I've heard the
LP and CD versions of the live recording. As well as a couple of other
performances and remasterings and remixes...

I've heard only one, and that one became the (US) hit. So, I'm talking about the hit version. Not live, not remake, not edited, not nothing, the hit version. I posted a link for you to hear the hit version remixed!!! :-)

Ah, you mean the single. Otherwise known as the album track from the
Machine Head LP.

The live versions are much more fun to listen to.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 9:29:55 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Correct!!!!

The live versions are much more fun to listen to.

I prefer studio recordings, don't have people yelling and screaming!! Reminds me too much of vinyl ticks and pops, just noise!!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA:

I prefer studio too - except in cases where
I grew up hearing the live version. Peter Frampton
comes to mind(the radio plays only the live cuts).
Hearing the studios of "Show Me The Way" and
"Baby I Love Your Way" was more of a revelation
to me - interesting, but not how I'm used to
hearing them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 10:18:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA:

I prefer studio too - except in cases where
I grew up hearing the live version. Peter Frampton
comes to mind(the radio plays only the live cuts).
Hearing the studios of "Show Me The Way" and
"Baby I Love Your Way" was more of a revelation
to me - interesting, but not how I'm used to
hearing them.

Well, FM didn't bother with the Teen version of Show Me The Way, I was glad to find and hear the studio version on CD!

Like, FM didn't care for love songs. On FM you'd hear the flip side of Elton's - Your Song, that was Take Me To The Pilot.

Just like, Kiss, Rock & Roll All Night, both live and studio versions I remember from (AM) radio.

Snippet

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...ocknroll-s.mp3

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/2/2015 10:57 AM, JackA wrote:
[...]

Can you guys find some other forum to discuss this in? This is
rec.audio.pro (a Usenet newsgroup). If you want to talk about production
and engineering, OK, but most of us don't care about your personal taste
in music or your extensive knowledge of pop song alternate mixes. We
know that the record companies often make several mixes of a song
throughout its lifetime, for different markets and different
distributions. Nothing to see here. Move on.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 3/07/2015 3:10 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
We know that the record companies often make several mixes of
a song throughout its lifetime, for different markets and
different distributions.

It's mainly to sell a few more copies and make a few more dollars!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 12:36:41 AM UTC-4, Trevor wrote:
On 3/07/2015 3:10 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
We know that the record companies often make several mixes of
a song throughout its lifetime, for different markets and
different distributions.

It's mainly to sell a few more copies and make a few more dollars!

Without Audio Compact Disc, a TON of material would have never been released.

Like, The Doors, Rider On The Storm, was remixed, but offered in original stereo mix, too.

Some of Foreigner's songs were remixed, too, as a Wal-Mart special. Shame they are too loud for me to appreciate.

Today, you'll find different mixes, but often too wild for my ears. However, Maroon 5, This Love, comes in a variety of likable flavors.

But, really, the RockBand multi-tracks brings to life what could have been released, but probably never will be.

Jack

Trevor.

tape adaptor vs radio transmitter Unknown Car Audio 4 November 9th 05 01:45 AM
Looking for a XM radio with CD and tape player [email protected] Car Audio 3 October 6th 05 04:14 AM
Radio w/CD & Tape cedavis Car Audio 2 May 25th 04 09:35 AM
How do I get an MP3 player into my stock car radio with no CD/tape? Dan Car Audio 1 May 22nd 04 03:59 AM
cheapest way to tape four-hour shows off the radio? Bennett Haselton Pro Audio 13 July 25th 03 12:59 PM