Daniel Ruiz

Default Suggestions on headunit selection

Hey folks, you guys have come up clutch with recommendations in the past so
I look to you all again. Some prick in the middle of the night slim-jimmed
my car and stole my Alpine CDA-7863, so now I'm asking you all for
suggestions about a headunit. I'm actually more interested in used units
since they'll obviously be cheaper (I'm a broke-ass college student) and
I could care less about DVD, MP3, AAC, whatever playback. I'm a musician and
am really picky about sound quality but I trust the experienced ears on
here. I'm not really interested in Eclipse, I love Alpine, but I'm very open
to trying out other brands like Clarion (which I've heard were excellent,
especially the 9XXX series and the ADCS-1), Pioneer (ODR and P1R keep coming
up), older Sony stuff like the XES, and anything else of high quality. A
detachable face would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure if any of the units
I mentioned have that. High quality playback, reliable, some means of theft
deterrence and price are my priorities.

The rest of my system is a small Soundstream Rubicon 302 feeding my
Orion HCCA 6s components and an Xtant X212 pushed by a DEI 250d, so it's
not complicated by any means. The only thing I'm planning on doing later is
adding a carputer, so some means of adding an RCA audio input would be
greatly preferred if it doesn't already have the jacks at the rear of the
deck.

Sorry for the length. Much appreciated for any suggestions or experiences!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba Section Leader

Tony Fernandes

You can find used Sony CDX C-90s on eBay every now and then. I have this
deck and love it. The display is very hard to read in the daytime and
there's no pause button. Those are the only two things I don't like about
it. It never skips, has awesome SQ, detachable face, and it does have RCA
inputs.

Tony

"Daniel Ruiz" wrote in message
k.net...
Hey folks, you guys have come up clutch with recommendations in the past

so
I look to you all again. Some prick in the middle of the night slim-jimmed
my car and stole my Alpine CDA-7863, so now I'm asking you all for
suggestions about a headunit. I'm actually more interested in used units
since they'll obviously be cheaper (I'm a broke-ass college student) and
I could care less about DVD, MP3, AAC, whatever playback. I'm a musician

and
am really picky about sound quality but I trust the experienced ears on
here. I'm not really interested in Eclipse, I love Alpine, but I'm very

open
to trying out other brands like Clarion (which I've heard were excellent,
especially the 9XXX series and the ADCS-1), Pioneer (ODR and P1R keep

coming
up), older Sony stuff like the XES, and anything else of high quality. A
detachable face would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure if any of the units
I mentioned have that. High quality playback, reliable, some means of

theft
deterrence and price are my priorities.

The rest of my system is a small Soundstream Rubicon 302 feeding my
Orion HCCA 6s components and an Xtant X212 pushed by a DEI 250d, so it's
not complicated by any means. The only thing I'm planning on doing later

is
adding a carputer, so some means of adding an RCA audio input would be
greatly preferred if it doesn't already have the jacks at the rear of the
deck.

Sorry for the length. Much appreciated for any suggestions or experiences!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It

goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever

wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't

Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders

ntra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba Section Leader

Derek

I have an Alpine CDA-7995 bought from Crutchfield for 299$ This is a higher
end deck and does have an auxiliary input, order a KCA-120a adapter for 15$.
Mind you, this is a true head unit and has no amplifiers built in - it is
meant to be connected to separate amps. Does have a detachable face. Sound
quality is wonderful, and can introduce time delays on each channel front
right, left, rear right left to adjust for differing distances and make the
sound arrive at your ears coincidentally - does work and expands the
soundstage.

Derek

"Daniel Ruiz" wrote in message
k.net...
Hey folks, you guys have come up clutch with recommendations in the past

so
I look to you all again. Some prick in the middle of the night slim-jimmed
my car and stole my Alpine CDA-7863, so now I'm asking you all for
suggestions about a headunit. I'm actually more interested in used units
since they'll obviously be cheaper (I'm a broke-ass college student) and
I could care less about DVD, MP3, AAC, whatever playback. I'm a musician

and
am really picky about sound quality but I trust the experienced ears on
here. I'm not really interested in Eclipse, I love Alpine, but I'm very

open
to trying out other brands like Clarion (which I've heard were excellent,
especially the 9XXX series and the ADCS-1), Pioneer (ODR and P1R keep

coming
up), older Sony stuff like the XES, and anything else of high quality. A
detachable face would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure if any of the units
I mentioned have that. High quality playback, reliable, some means of

theft
deterrence and price are my priorities.

The rest of my system is a small Soundstream Rubicon 302 feeding my
Orion HCCA 6s components and an Xtant X212 pushed by a DEI 250d, so it's
not complicated by any means. The only thing I'm planning on doing later

is
adding a carputer, so some means of adding an RCA audio input would be
greatly preferred if it doesn't already have the jacks at the rear of the
deck.

Sorry for the length. Much appreciated for any suggestions or experiences!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It

goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever

wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't

Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders

ntra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba Section Leader

Kim Letkeman

Well, you say you are broke ... thus you want a low price. I am using a JVC
deck (the lowest in the line that plays mp3), which I got for just over
$200CAD. That makes it about $150USD. Pretty cheap for a new deck. The sound
quality is excellent so far. It has been running my Infinity Reference
Series speakers since the summer and the sound is clear as a bell.

The JVC has lots of power to pound out good bass and to overcome wind noise.
I suspect, of course, that any modern unit is going to sound pretty much the
same. The speakers make much more difference in my opinion anyway.

Your mileage may vary of course.

"Daniel Ruiz" wrote in message
k.net...
Hey folks, you guys have come up clutch with recommendations in the past

so
I look to you all again. Some prick in the middle of the night slim-jimmed
my car and stole my Alpine CDA-7863, so now I'm asking you all for
suggestions about a headunit. I'm actually more interested in used units
since they'll obviously be cheaper (I'm a broke-ass college student) and
I could care less about DVD, MP3, AAC, whatever playback. I'm a musician

and
am really picky about sound quality but I trust the experienced ears on
here. I'm not really interested in Eclipse, I love Alpine, but I'm very

open
to trying out other brands like Clarion (which I've heard were excellent,
especially the 9XXX series and the ADCS-1), Pioneer (ODR and P1R keep

coming
up), older Sony stuff like the XES, and anything else of high quality. A
detachable face would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure if any of the units
I mentioned have that. High quality playback, reliable, some means of

theft
deterrence and price are my priorities.

The rest of my system is a small Soundstream Rubicon 302 feeding my
Orion HCCA 6s components and an Xtant X212 pushed by a DEI 250d, so it's
not complicated by any means. The only thing I'm planning on doing later

is
adding a carputer, so some means of adding an RCA audio input would be
greatly preferred if it doesn't already have the jacks at the rear of the
deck.

Sorry for the length. Much appreciated for any suggestions or experiences!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It

goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever

wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't

Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders

ntra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba Section Leader

Tha Ghee

[...]

I would suggest Denon, Clarion, McIntosh, Kenwood.

Stephen Narayan

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:01:35 GMT, "Daniel Ruiz"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Of those I believe only
the Clarions and the P1R have detachable faceplates. Other older stuff
to consider are any of the venerable Alpines like the 7909 and 7949,
Denon DCT-1000, 970, 950 etc and the Rockford Fosgate RFX-8140.

The rest of my system is a small Soundstream Rubicon 302 feeding my
Orion HCCA 6s components and an Xtant X212 pushed by a DEI 250d, so it's
not complicated by any means. The only thing I'm planning on doing later is
adding a carputer, so some means of adding an RCA audio input would be
greatly preferred if it doesn't already have the jacks at the rear of the
deck.

Sorry for the length. Much appreciated for any suggestions or experiences!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba Section Leader

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection |
No System.....yup that's right.
Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html
Stephen Narayan

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:37:56 -0500, "Tha Ghee"
wrote:

"Daniel Ruiz" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Indeed some of those older Kenwoods were very good decks, KDC-950,
KDC-95R, and KDC-PS905 come to mind.....
Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection |
No System.....yup that's right.
Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html

Requesting suggestions for TWO 12's Zeratul Car Audio 2 December 11th 03 04:34 AM
buying a headunit scat131 Car Audio 15 October 15th 03 06:43 PM
buying a headunit scat131 Car Audio 4 August 25th 03 08:29 PM
Nissan headunit with aftermarket speakers BeeP Car Audio 0 July 23rd 03 10:19 PM
Pioneer IP-BUS daisy chain... Pioneer headunit + AUX + Pioneer XM tuner... HELP! Tom R Car Audio 2 July 12th 03 03:18 PM