Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default Margaret, please read

Marge,
There's a review of your Krups unit he
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Read down, and you'll find this:

"I am concerned about the use of aluminum in the unit. The grounds cup, the
handle assembly and apparently the tank in which the water is heated are all
made of aluminum, and aluminum is a known neurotoxin (i.e. it's bad for you)
and it is thought to be a contributing factor in the contraction of
Alzheimer's Disease. If I had known that the Caffe Bistro used so much
aluminum in the parts that contact the water, I probably would not have
purchased it, but buying an espresso machine with stainless steel parts
would have been prohibitively expensive. :-(
"

There is some basis for the concern. Aluminum is a neurotoxin that at one
time was considered a primary cause of Alzheimers. This is less credible
than it used to be, but it has not een completely debunked. And omeone else
did a study of the Gaggia flash heater block, also made of aluminum. After a
year, there was considerable metal loss. The lost metal ends up in the
drink.

So out of concern for your health, I'm suggesting you replace the Krups with
one of the many machines that have stainless or brass innards. The SAECO
units have stainless boilers. The Silvia has brass. From the health pov, the
stainless is topnotch, because at worst, it leaches a little chromium, which
is a useful trace mineral.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret Ludwig

Does anyone remember the electric douche machine that was like an
oversized Water-Pik the sold in the late 70s or early 80s? I remember
seeing them and guffawing thinking a teacher or two at school could use
one, but no one else seems to remember these things.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Marge,
There's a review of your Krups unit he
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Oh, hello Robert! It is so nice to hear from you after so many weeks.

Say what? Krups? The German spies? Actually I think they call them Krauts.
Have you bombed any Japs lately? I still laugh at the thought of your plane
being gay. Be safe and come home soon so we can get married and buy that
Packard you talked about. I miss you so much.

Love,

Margaret

PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Margaret von B. wrote:
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Marge,
There's a review of your Krups unit he
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Oh, hello Robert! It is so nice to hear from you after so many weeks.

Say what? Krups? The German spies? Actually I think they call them Krauts.
Have you bombed any Japs lately? I still laugh at the thought of your plane
being gay. Be safe and come home soon so we can get married and buy that
Packard you talked about. I miss you so much.

Love,

Margaret

PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Aluminum again! Allow me to quote myself: "Re aluminium . Aluminium vs.
Alzheimer chat has been around almost as
long as coffee causing abnormal heart rhythm. It is a good rule in
contemporary medicine that anything that remains controversial longer
than five years can be safely disregarded. Valuable things become
firmly established long before that- there are thousands of eager
researchers publishinng stuff and seeking glory in hundreds of medical
journals all over the world. So Ms. Von Busen can keep her grinder.

There is no hard research evidence that aluminum has anything to do
with Alzheimer.
The "nutritionists" of all stripes are a byword for running at the
mouth for the latest flavour and/or stink of the month. Some
nutritional journals are a byword for publishing stuff that would never
see the light of day in a reputable medical mag like "The New England
Journal..."
If you think about the problems of doing a reality based research in
nutrition you'll see how hard it is to find any solidly-grounded stuff.
You'd have to collect two huge samples of aluminum cook- ware users and
nonusers with representative numbers on both sides of age, sex and
social status who'd have to swear to use or not use aluminum cookware
for the next 30 years. Then you'd start a prospective study and hope
that at the end of 30 years you'll have statistically significant
differences ie significantly more Alzheimer than normally expected.in
the aluminum group
If I said today that turnips cause Alzheimer some "nutritionists'
would soon say "The turnips are thought to be a contributing factor...
etc.etc." "Thought" by whom? By L. Mirabel of course.
Ludovic Mirabel.
I apologise for doing what I have objected to: talking non-audio in an
audio forum. Can't fight the tide.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Margaret von B." wrote in
message news
PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Note that both Morein and Maggie admit that they drink coffee brewed in
aluminum pots.

In contrast, I have always used containers made of glass and/or stainless
steel to brew coffee, etc.

If small numbers of samples could prove a global rule, then theories about
mental degradation and aluminum would be proven.

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Margaret von B." wrote in
message news
PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Note that both Morein and Maggie admit that they drink coffee brewed in
aluminum pots.

In contrast, I have always used containers made of glass and/or stainless
steel to brew coffee, etc.

And that's your problem. You should be using containers made out of lithium.
:-)

Do you actually cook, Arny Dear? If so what is your signature dish? Is the
recipe your own or borrowed?

Cheers,

Margaret

PS. I'm actually trying to be nice to you. Really.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Margaret von B." wrote in
message news
PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Note that both Morein and Maggie admit that they drink coffee brewed in
aluminum pots.

In contrast, I have always used containers made of glass and/or stainless
steel to brew coffee, etc.

And that's your problem. You should be using containers made out of
lithium. :-)

Dr. Cure thyself! ;-)

Do you actually cook?

No, I really cook! ;-)

If so what is your signature dish?

I'm best known for my picnics for 100-200 hungry people, centerpieced by BBQ
marinated chicken and spare ribs, but with the trimmings including my
special baked beans, green salad, my special potato salad, burgers, chips,
sausage, nachos, crudites, cakes, ice cream, soda, etc.

Is the recipe your own or borrowed?

A mixture of my own recipies and recipies borrowed from a fire house.
Firemen seem to know how to eat.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[...]

Grade A for the good deed (if it is true, one never knows with you...)

Grade D minus for boasting about your good deeds. You just never learn...
:-(

Is the recipe your own or borrowed?

A mixture of my own recipies and recipies borrowed from a fire house.
Firemen seem to know how to eat.

Yes they do. Did you get the calendar too?

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Margaret von B." wrote in
message news
PS. I think I'm getting sick, even my coffee tastes funny.

Note that both Morein and Maggie admit that they drink coffee brewed in
aluminum pots.

Where did I "admit" this?
I don't.
I use all stainless in the kitchen.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

[...]

Note to prospective guests: Don't touch the Kool-Aid.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news

Note to prospective guests: Don't touch the Kool-Aid.

Kool Aid? Yecch!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

If so what is your signature dish?

I'm best known for my picnics for 100-200 hungry people, centerpieced by
BBQ marinated chicken and spare ribs, but with the trimmings including my
special baked beans, green salad, my special potato salad, burgers,
chips, sausage, nachos, crudites, cakes, ice cream, soda, etc.

Grade A for the good deed

Goodness is its own reward.

Grade D minus for boasting about your good deeds. You just never learn...
:-(

Boasting? Just giving you a factual answer to a question you asked of your
own free will, Maggie. Really having problems with those hyper-rapid
bipolar swings, eh Maggie?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

If so what is your signature dish?

I'm best known for my picnics for 100-200 hungry people, centerpieced by
BBQ marinated chicken and spare ribs, but with the trimmings including
my special baked beans, green salad, my special potato salad, burgers,
chips, sausage, nachos, crudites, cakes, ice cream, soda, etc.

Grade A for the good deed

Goodness is its own reward.

You really are a modern day pharisee.

Grade D minus for boasting about your good deeds. You just never learn...
:-(

Boasting? Just giving you a factual answer to a question you asked of your
own free will, Maggie. Really having problems with those hyper-rapid
bipolar swings, eh Maggie?

You mean...like...what you just displayed? Eh, Arnii? As I said, you just
never learn.

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
[snip]
including my special baked beans,

By virtue of your posts, it is apparent this is the primary constituent of
your diet.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

So out of concern for your health, I'm suggesting you replace the Krups
with one of the many machines that have stainless or brass innards. The
SAECO units have stainless boilers. The Silvia has brass. From the health
pov, the stainless is topnotch, because at worst, it leaches a little
chromium, which is a useful trace mineral.

As a person who travels close to 180 days a year and eats out probably 250
days a year I think I'm exposed way beyond my coffee maker. In most
commercial kitchens aluminum still dominates in cookware due to its good
cooking properties and low cost. AND, contrary to the advice of The Food
Network, the real life chefs tend to use stainless steel tongs, spoons and
other utensils on them. Many times the cookware gets replaced simply because
the metal utensils wear the innards out! Am I just being naive about this?

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

As a person who travels close to 180 days a year and eats out probably 250
days a year I think I'm exposed way beyond my coffee maker. In most
commercial kitchens aluminum still dominates in cookware due to its good
cooking properties and low cost. AND, contrary to the advice of The Food
Network, the real life chefs tend to use stainless steel tongs, spoons and
other utensils on them. Many times the cookware gets replaced simply
because the metal utensils wear the innards out! Am I just being naive
about this?

I assume you didn't mean that it wears out the customers' innards!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

As a person who travels close to 180 days a year and eats out probably
250 days a year I think I'm exposed way beyond my coffee maker. In most
commercial kitchens aluminum still dominates in cookware due to its good
cooking properties and low cost. AND, contrary to the advice of The Food
Network, the real life chefs tend to use stainless steel tongs, spoons
and other utensils on them. Many times the cookware gets replaced simply
because the metal utensils wear the innards out! Am I just being naive
about this?

I assume you didn't mean that it wears out the customers' innards!

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/innards

Meaning #2.

Not me, but Rob seems to think so.

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[...]

No, you're not naive. There is an absence of proof that aluminum has any
responsibility for senility. The argument is of the common sense variety:
aluminum is known to be neurotoxic--avoid consumption of aluminum. For many
people, this argument is unconvincing.

I read a web review of Gaggia coffee makers, which use aluminum "block
heaters". The author showed a picture of a Gaggia heat block after only one
year of use. It was heavily corroded. The missing metal is in the coffee
water. I suspect the risk is greatest when the aluminum is in direct contact
with boiling water, rather than a thin layer of fat or other organics that
would tend to prevent it from getting into the food. Some acidic foods, such
as tomatoes, when cooked in aluminum cookware, would also promote leaching
of the metal.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Robert Morein wrote:
[...]

"Common sense" gets consigned to garbage day in day out by research.
Whenever I had a cold with fever my mother used to close the windows
because "common sense" told her that drafts cause pneumonia when you
are feverish. Next I'd get suction cups applied because "common sense"
told her that cups would draw the toxins out of my body.
"Aluminum is a neurotoxin"... Some details please. ? When fed to mice
in relatively huge quantities? Or when just absorbed in minimal amounts
from the kitchenware and subject to usual processes of elimination by
the liver and the kidneys?
Repeat: No direct link between Alzheimer and kitchenware has been
convincingly shown.
If we demand some scientific rigour in validating their myths from the
Abx proponents we should not imitate them by propounding another set of
urban " common sense" myths.
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

When fed to mice
in relatively huge quantities? Or when just absorbed in minimal amounts
from the kitchenware and subject to usual processes of elimination by
the liver and the kidneys?
Repeat: No direct link between Alzheimer and kitchenware has been
convincingly shown.

I understand this. But there is some evidence -- see above link. Also,
http://www.thetipsbank.com/adandal.htm
"Halfway around the world in Sydney, Australia, another critical study has
focused attention on this issue. The city needed a new water plant to
service their growing population. The Sydney Water Board, prompted in part
by the Ontario study, decided to take a closer look at the
aluminum-in-Alzheimer's issue before building its new water-treatment plant.
The board hired independent scientist Judie Walton to study whether the alum
in drinking water could be absorbed by the body. In Walton's study rats were
given the equivalent of one glass of Sydney tap water treated with alum. Two
weeks later their brains were examine for the presence of aluminum, and they
found it. This is the first study which has shown a direct pathway from the
water, across the gastrointestinal tract, into the bloodstream, and then
into the brain.
The theory has always been that if you're healthy, the aluminum that you
ingest is eliminated by your kidneys. But Walton's study showed otherwise.
Based on this and other recent studies, the Sydney Water Board decided to
eliminate the use of aluminum in their new water plant, the second-largest
in the world. In their announcement they stated: "None of the research is
conclusive, but it provides the water board with a basis upon which to make
decisions based on prudent avoidance". "

Hardly proof. Perhaps you can dig up some studies that actually contradict
the above. But the end result can only be weakening of the hypothesis, not
negation. In view of the fact that it costs only afew hundred bucks to
eliminate aluminum from the kitchen, I contend it's worth doing.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
[...]

Robert, let me say first of al that I truly appreciate the compliment
imolicit in your caring whether I agree or not with your stance.
On due reflexion I decided that what I said about aluminum was tainted
by abrasiveness that unfortunately I am prone to- I am argumentative
and enjoy polemic ( At least as long as people don't resort to
intellectual dishonesty and/or help themselves to the contents of the
neighbourhood sewer.for argument)
As I already said I probably got too passionate about aluminum. As far
as I know aluminum can be dispensed with harmlessly. If one is
extra-cautious one's peace of mind warrants dispensing with it.
But if it does harm to the brain I -sadly- am of age when it should
show. Awaiting all the poisoned barbs that I just exposed myself to.
But... being argumentative I'll answer of course that I'm the living
proof that aluminum does not attack the brain. "Don't delude yourself"
will say all my devoted internet pals.
Ah, life is not always a piece of cake. .
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
[...]

I didn't take it that way. I was just wondering how much the Aluminum
Cookware Association was paying you
One tenet of biology is that each organism has individual characteristics
apart from the species. Even among frogs, individuals have a range of
behavioral traits. The same goes for the resistance of an organism toward
the environment. The environment tries to destroy the organism; the organism
has homeostatic mechanisms that act in defense. For any toxic chemical, we
do not speak of a specific lethal dose/kg body weight; it's always LD50.

How does one approach the study of toxins that affect only at the edge of
human lifespan? It would take several lifespans to conduct properly
controlled studies on whether aluminum hastens Alzheimers. It would seem
that the only practical choice is a surrogate animal. But the induction of
Alzheimers in a mouse with a 3 year lifespan cannot prove anything about
humans. So the question remains, how does one approach a speculative hazard
that cannot be resolved?

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:50:19 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets, of which
I've consumed more than my share over the years. Saw something
recently to the effect that fish oil (not cod liver apparently) can
counteract this, but I fear it's too late for me (Arnie no doubt will
be nodding wisely at this point). What are the first signs of
Alzheimer's anyway, other than posting prattle to newsgroups? They say
if you think you've got it you haven't, but if your family thinks you
have, you probably have.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets, of which
I've consumed more than my share over the years. Saw something
recently to the effect that fish oil (not cod liver apparently) can
counteract this, but I fear it's too late for me (Arnie no doubt will
be nodding wisely at this point). What are the first signs of
Alzheimer's anyway, other than posting prattle to newsgroups? They say
if you think you've got it you haven't, but if your family thinks you
have, you probably have.

You obviously don't have it.
Some studies have claimed the ability to detect "mild cognitive impairment",
or hidden deficits, well in advance of a clinical presentation.
If you could get off the antacid, it might be worth investigating chelation
therapy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets,

Why not go with the calcium carbonate types like Tums?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets,

Why not go with the calcium carbonate types like Tums?

Good question.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets, of which
I've consumed more than my share over the years. Saw something
recently to the effect that fish oil (not cod liver apparently) can
counteract this, but I fear it's too late for me (Arnie no doubt will
be nodding wisely at this point). What are the first signs of
Alzheimer's anyway, other than posting prattle to newsgroups? They say
if you think you've got it you haven't, but if your family thinks you
have, you probably have.

You obviously don't have it.
Some studies have claimed the ability to detect "mild cognitive impairment",
or hidden deficits, well in advance of a clinical presentation.

Maybe I should have asked Arnie this question in order to get the bad
news first. :-)

If you could get off the antacid, it might be worth investigating chelation
therapy.

You seem to be "into" this, Robert. Care to explain?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

[...]

Only in the sense that I have pursued "antiaging" strategies for years. Some
of these tactics involve the taking of certain supplements. Read the book
"Life Extension". See http://www.lef.org/.
However, be aware that there is little evidence that these strategies
actually work. Ludovic could give me a very good argument here
Obesity in middle age is now strongly tied to Alzheimers. Staying fit and
thin is the only proven strategy for avoidance of chronic disease.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:15:52 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Obesity in middle age is now strongly tied to Alzheimers.

Yipes, now I'm really worried.

(But probably not as worried as your friend Brian. :-))
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets,

Why not go with the calcium carbonate types like Tums?

Can't say I've heard of them. But then I'm in OZ.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

Only in the sense that I have pursued "antiaging" strategies for years.

Well that explains all the childish behavior quite easily.

Thanks for sharing, Robert.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
:
: "Robert Morein" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Only in the sense that I have pursued "antiaging" strategies for years.
:
: Well that explains all the childish behavior quite easily.
:
: Thanks for sharing, Robert.

hmm, he didn't say age-reversal strategies, eh ?
:-)
R.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

Obesity in middle age is now strongly tied to Alzheimers.

Yipes, now I'm really worried.

(But probably not as worried as your friend Brian. :-))

In my opinion, Brian probably already has "mild cognitive impairment."I
compare where he was at in 1994, when he really did have some fresh ideas,
and where he is today, the mindless servant of an obsession.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest you have yourself chelated

My current concern is with the aluminium in antacid tablets,

Why not go with the calcium carbonate types like Tums?

Can't say I've heard of them. But then I'm in OZ.

Addendum to this: I just noticed Tums in the shop today and bought a
box. Can't imagine why I've never noticed them before. Haven't had
cause to try one yet, but thanks for the tip.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

paul packer wrote:
On 13 Jan 2006 12:55:27 -0800, "ScottW" wrote:

Addendum to this: I just noticed Tums in the shop today and bought a
box. Can't imagine why I've never noticed them before. Haven't had
cause to try one yet, but thanks for the tip.

Well, if you had Carolina Barbeque down there.

Margaret on Margaret Margaret von B. Audio Opinions 15 July 30th 05 03:56 AM
READ [email protected] Pro Audio 1 December 29th 04 12:00 AM
Useful textbook that's unusually easy to read Dan Shanefield General 0 July 22nd 04 04:41 PM
Defragging during a session... Merzbilt Pro Audio 65 June 9th 04 06:31 PM
Can't read my Sony CDX-C90 kevin Car Audio 1 July 13th 03 02:34 AM