Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default the world's best receiver

IMHO, the Nakamichi TA-4A, which was featured on the cover of Audio
Magazine, with the subtitle same as the title of this post.

This receiver features Nelson Pass's Stasis amplifier design, rated at 100
wpc. While I find it can't really drive large speakers in the manner that
they should be driven, what it does with bookshelves, and miscellaneous
smaller speakers, I find without peer.

The FM tuner section is also extraordinary for a receiver.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Walt

Robert Morein wrote:

IMHO, the Nakamichi TA-4A, which was featured on the cover of Audio
Magazine, with the subtitle same as the title of this post.

This receiver features Nelson Pass's Stasis amplifier design, rated at 100
wpc. While I find it can't really drive large speakers in the manner that
they should be driven, what it does with bookshelves, and miscellaneous
smaller speakers, I find without peer.

Given the fact that smaller speakers tend to be less efficient than
larger speakers, why do you think this is?

The FM tuner section is also extraordinary for a receiver.

Since there's not a single station on the dial that doesn't compress
the program material to within an inch of it's life, why does that matter?

--
// Walt

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GregS

In article , Walt wrote:
Robert Morein wrote:

IMHO, the Nakamichi TA-4A, which was featured on the cover of Audio
Magazine, with the subtitle same as the title of this post.

This receiver features Nelson Pass's Stasis amplifier design, rated at 100
wpc. While I find it can't really drive large speakers in the manner that
they should be driven, what it does with bookshelves, and miscellaneous
smaller speakers, I find without peer.

Given the fact that smaller speakers tend to be less efficient than
larger speakers, why do you think this is?

A common misconception.

Well I might have the worlds most powerfull receiver.
A NAD with 400 WPC peak. Its still broke though.

greg

The FM tuner section is also extraordinary for a receiver.

Since there's not a single station on the dial that doesn't compress
the program material to within an inch of it's life, why does that matter?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:36:11 -0500, Walt
wrote:

Robert Morein wrote:

IMHO, the Nakamichi TA-4A, which was featured on the cover of Audio
Magazine, with the subtitle same as the title of this post.

This receiver features Nelson Pass's Stasis amplifier design, rated at 100
wpc. While I find it can't really drive large speakers in the manner that
they should be driven, what it does with bookshelves, and miscellaneous
smaller speakers, I find without peer.

Given the fact that smaller speakers tend to be less efficient than
larger speakers, why do you think this is?

The FM tuner section is also extraordinary for a receiver.

Since there's not a single station on the dial that doesn't compress
the program material to within an inch of it's life, why does that matter?

If you can't pick up the station decently, I'll bet it matters a lot.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Walt" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

IMHO, the Nakamichi TA-4A, which was featured on the cover of Audio
Magazine, with the subtitle same as the title of this post.

This receiver features Nelson Pass's Stasis amplifier design, rated at
100 wpc. While I find it can't really drive large speakers in the manner
that they should be driven, what it does with bookshelves, and
miscellaneous smaller speakers, I find without peer.

Given the fact that smaller speakers tend to be less efficient than larger
speakers, why do you think this is?

Damping of small woofers is easier than large ones, because they have less
equivalent inductance.. This shows up in tonal balance. As you point out, it
is harder to drive a small speaker to a high volume level than a large one,
but that is a different issue.

The FM tuner section is also extraordinary for a receiver.

Since there's not a single station on the dial that doesn't compress the
program material to within an inch of it's life, why does that matter?

In Philly, we have several stations where FM quality still shows: WRTI
(Temple), WXPN (Penn), WHYY (NPR).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:13:44 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Damping of small woofers is easier than large ones, because they have less
equivalent inductance..

Did you work that out for youself?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Goofy huffs and puffs.

Damping of small woofers is easier than large ones, because they have less
equivalent inductance..

Did you work that out for youself?

I certainly didn't tell him.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret Ludwig

A lot of people really like the early AR Receiver, although I never
was too excited about it myself.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...

A lot of people really like the early AR Receiver, although I never
was too excited about it myself.

Like tubed amps it was a backward design and had a reputation for failing a
lot.