Triode Naming Convention

Old October 5th 20, 04:30 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Default Triode Naming Convention

Big Bad Bob wrote:

==================
Phil Allison wrote:

> > ================================================== ===

> >> Just read the REMARK on the bottom of page one. https://drtube.com/datasheets/ecc83-philips1970.pdf

> > ** My post is *about that exact remark* - explaining it.
> >
> > An *earthed* internal link from pin 9 travels past grid pin 7 in the scenario described. A link carrying 3.13VAC travels past grid pin 2.
> >
> > This might inject up to 1mV into pin 2 if the grid source impedance were *10Mohms*. However, for a MM phono cartridge, the impedance is 1kohm at 50/60Hz and for a guitar PU about 10kokms.

> Actually it's more like 100k for a typical guitar amp pre-amp input,

** The source impedance is what matters, and is as I stated.

Guitar PUs and phono PUs are both low value resistors at 50/60 Hz.

> The thing about the phono cartridge amp
> is the RIAA curve which I believe is around 40db higher gain at the low
> end of the frequency spectrum as compare to the high end.

** The RIAA curve boost gain by 16 dB or 6.3 times 50/60Hz compared to mid frequencies. It also boost tube noise by the same amount.

There is NO audible supply frequency hum caused by stray C *inside* a 12AX7.

The OP has misconstrued the comment on the data sheet.

..... Phil
Old October 9th 20, 07:10 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 2020-10-04 20:30, Phil Allison wrote:
>>> This might inject up to 1mV into pin 2 if the grid source impedance were *10Mohms*. However, for a MM phono cartridge, the impedance is 1kohm at 50/60Hz and for a guitar PU about 10kokms.

>> Actually it's more like 100k for a typical guitar amp pre-amp input,
>>

> ** The source impedance is what matters, and is as I stated.
>
> Guitar PUs and phono PUs are both low value resistors at 50/60 Hz.

yeah, but a typical amplifier is going to have a 100k-220k in series
with the preamp input for dual jacks. And the volume control on the
guitar is 50k-100k. So you're right in saying that it has low impedence
at the guitar pickup [which has its own issues with inductive coupling
of hum, but that's a different issue] but the amplifier itself typically
has those series resistors so that you can have multiple guitars on the
same amp.

Given that, even if there's only a slight "barely detectable"
difference, if it's known, I'd just make the design leverage the one
with lower hum (alleged or otherwise) be the 1st stage amplifier.

Old October 9th 20, 11:20 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Big Bad Bob wrote:

==================

> >> Actually it's more like 100k for a typical guitar amp pre-amp input,
> >>

> > ** The source impedance is what matters, and is as I stated.
> >
> > Guitar PUs and phono PUs are both low value resistors at 50/60 Hz.

> yeah, but a typical amplifier is going to have a 100k-220k in series
> with the preamp input for dual jacks.

** 68k is most common value on guitar amps with dual jacks.

Has no effect on hum or noise coming from the tube.

> So you're right in saying that it has low impedence
> at the guitar pickup [which has its own issues with inductive coupling
> of hum, but that's a different issue]

** No it isn't - cos it totally swamps the issue here.

FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.

..... Phil
Old October 14th 20, 08:36 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 2020-10-09 15:20, Phil Allison wrote:
> FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.

which ones?

It's not like I haven't built a bunch of guitar amps since I was a
teenager, both tubes AND transistors, nor seen a number of schematics,
nor reverse engineered a Fender amp to build a custom amp based on
Fender's circuits because someone wanted me to, nor having played guitar
since the 1960's, nor having re-worked the electronics on guitars a few
times [including putting a 5 pos switch on a Hondo strat copy that had a
3 pos switch for a friend], yotta yotta.

OK - which of the things I said were "wild guesses" ?

keep in mind that the tech manuals said something I'm agreeing with.
YOU are disagreeing with the tech manuals, and after I provide several
examples based on what I've seen (particularly for older amplifiers,
where this would be more relevant), you say that I'm "posting wild
guesses as fact".

So, since I never actually DID that, then you're welcome.

A typical old amplifier:
http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s..._5c3_schem.gif

(in this case 75k - I've seen as high as 220k, but on average, input
resistors on the shared input are around 100k, which if you think about
it, isn't a whole lot different from 75k or even 68k when you average it
all out)

A typical guitar (strat):
https://wholefoodsonabudget.com/wp-c...-center-6b.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/y6dew9vv

shows volume and tone controls are 250k. I have seen as low as 50k, but
typically 100k as I recall.

This one shows 1M volume controls on the guitar:

https://wholefoodsonabudget.com/wp-c...iagram-12s.jpg

I'm sure you'll see LOTS of variability. Some old guitars [I used to
have one] even had ceramic pickups. And you also have pedal output
impedence. So the variability is pretty wide here.

My guess is that a pre-amp would be designed such that any noise
generated by an audio tube's filament would be minimized based on a very
wide range of possible inputs, single guitar, two guitars, ceramic or
dynamic pickups, 50k or 250k or 1M volume controls, etc. etc..

So if I happen to "ballpark" the values, you should be able to see why.

And I still accept what the tube spec sheet says about hum on one of the
triodes being slightly higher.

Old October 16th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Big Bad Boob wrote:

=================
Phil Allison wrote:
> > FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.

> which ones?

** All of them.

> It's not like I haven't built a bunch of guitar amps since I was a
> teenager, both tubes AND transistors, nor seen a number of schematics,
> nor reverse engineered a Fender amp to build a custom amp based on
> Fender's circuits because someone wanted me to, nor having played guitar
> since the 1960's, nor having re-worked the electronics on guitars a few
> times [including putting a 5 pos switch on a Hondo strat copy that had a
> 3 pos switch for a friend], yotta yotta.

** Fraid you have no learnt much.

> OK - which of the things I said were "wild guesses" ?

** The whole lot.

> keep in mind that the tech manuals said something I'm agreeing with.
> YOU are disagreeing with the tech manuals,

** Never said any such thing.

> A typical old amplifier:
> http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s..._5c3_schem.gif
>
> (in this case 75k - I've seen as high as 220k, but on average, input
> resistors on the shared input are around 100k, which if you think about
> it, isn't a whole lot different from 75k or even 68k when you average it
> all out)

** Average of what? Not amps sold for sure.

Vox, Marshall, Fender, Peavey, Music Mann and countless others ...

> shows volume and tone controls are 250k. I have seen as low as 50k, but
> typically 100k as I recall.

** With a 10 kohm source (at 50/60 Hz) and turned to half value = what?

> My guess ..

** Another wild guess ????

> And I still accept what the tube spec sheet says

** You have no ****ing idea what that 50s doc refers to or if it has any relevance to guitar amps or modern examples of 12AX7s.

FYI

I have 50 years experience designing and repairing guitar amps plus LOTS of other types of audio gear - including tube condenser mics.

You came here on a damn silly notion & got an expert who pointed that out.

You get to like or lump it.

...... Phil

Old October 17th 20, 09:25 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 2020-10-15 19:26, Phil Allison wrote:
> Big Bad Boob wrote:
>
> =================
> Phil Allison wrote:
>>> FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.

>> which ones?

> ** All of them.
>

>> It's not like I haven't built a bunch of guitar amps since I was a
>> teenager, both tubes AND transistors, nor seen a number of schematics,
>> nor reverse engineered a Fender amp to build a custom amp based on
>> Fender's circuits because someone wanted me to, nor having played guitar
>> since the 1960's, nor having re-worked the electronics on guitars a few
>> times [including putting a 5 pos switch on a Hondo strat copy that had a
>> 3 pos switch for a friend], yotta yotta.

> ** Fraid you have no learnt much.

whatever. I'm done with you. It stopped being fun, and now you're just
insisting on getting the last word in.

/me thinking of Pee Wee Herman, "I know you are, but what am I?"
Old October 18th 20, 12:24 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Big Bad Bob + TROLL wrote:

=======================

> >> which ones?

> > ** All of them.
> >

> > ** Fraid you have no learnt much.

> whatever.

I'm done with you.

** Man, you are done like a dinner.

It stopped being fun,

** Never come her for fun - shihead.

> and now you're just
> insisting on getting the last word in.

** ROTFL - what the HELL do you think this post of yours is?

You need to take along look in a mirror pal.

...... Phil