Clyde Slick

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message
On 3/30/05 2:50 PM, in article , "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

A little kindness please, English is Arny's second language.

Clyde and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.
It's Easy,
It's Fun
and it makes you smarter than the dolt who snuck so many unwanted
destinations in there!
Go for it!
Thanks!

Yes, I will continue to dutifully
follow your lead.

dave weil

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:55:50 -0500, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:54:15 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

For years we've been told by Middius, Sackman, etc. perhaps even Weil;
that DBTs aren't appropriate for ranking equipment because they don't
involve the same kind of listening as listening for enjoyment (i.e.,
casual listening). Now Weil finally agrees with me that casual
listening and listening to rank equipment are simply and inherently
two different things.

Absolutely.

Once you use non-DBT listening to evaluate gear, it ceases to be
"causal listening". However, none of the people that you list or ME
for that matter have said that "casual listening" should be done to
evaluate equipment.

Well, Dave, given that we have ruled out casual listening as
a shopping or evaluation tool, just what truly workable and
critically accurate procedure do you recommend?

I'm not opposed to dbts as one of the possible procedures. I'm also
not opposed to a systematic and extended sighted comparison between
components. But that's not "casual listening". Casual listening is
listening to music for its own sake.

You might try it some time.

dave weil

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:00:00 -0500, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:30:19 -0500, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

However, the lack of a need for new gear notwithstanding, I
would think that curious audio buffs would be interested in
DBT work just to better educate themselves about audio and
the principles that are involved. The best way to test
belief systems that mythologize amps and wires is to get
involved in some DBT work, level-matched, of course.

Unless you're commenting on things like Quad speakers. Then all bets
are off.

Dave, Quad speakers may be real winners for all I know. I
have never bad mouthed the things, or said they were
inferior to anything else. I did mention Floyd Toole's past
comments, however. Perhaps you have confused what I said he
said with what I said.

Since you used it for justification for dismissing the speakers
unheard, I don't think so.

George M. Middius

dave weil said to Clerkenstein:

Casual listening is listening to music for its own sake.
You might try it some time.

Harold didn't retire from full-time library clerking in order to enjoy
life. Your suggestion is obviously™ an attempt to inflame his wounded
manhood.

SSJVCmag

On 3/30/05 5:49 PM, in article , "Howard
Ferstler" wrote:

SSJVCmag wrote:

Howard and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.
It's Easy,
It's Fun
and it makes you smarter than the dolt who snuck so many unwanted
destinations in there!
Go for it!
Thanks!

Are you saying that you "audio pro" and "audio tech" guys
are not interested in reviewing the advantages or
disadvantages of DBT work? Or perhaps you already know
enough for the posts about them to be redundant.

As for the "audio misc" crew, I would say that they are as
in need of information about the DBT protocol as the RAO
participants.

Howard Ferstler

Ahhhh from your aggressive modification of the headers as sent in this msg,
it seems you're one of the culprits who like to repost things in places
they're not being responded to and unwanted in general.
Shame.
We'll all just have to be more carefull around you then.
Thanks again to all the rest who actually 'get' this concept.

More to your current point, 'in need of' and 'currently-desirous-of' or
'interested-in-discussing' are VERY different things, especially when the
vast bulk of the discussions are actually about deriding personal heritage,
presumed educational lackings or simple 4th-grader taunts and inexplicable
fascination with scatology rather than anything resembling real intellectual
discourse on the thread title. This coupled with the notable extremely
top-heavy ratio of posters being from RAO and NOT from the others places
these things securely in the realm of opinion and NOT anywhere else.
You really should let this lie, especially as to reposting dropped
destinations.

Howard Ferstler

SSJVCmag wrote:

Ahhhh from your aggressive modification of the headers as sent in this msg,
it seems you're one of the culprits who like to repost things in places
they're not being responded to and unwanted in general.

Not really. This was my first try, actually.

We'll all just have to be more carefull around you then.
Thanks again to all the rest who actually 'get' this concept.

I wanted everyone to get the message, buddy. As noted
elsewhere, somebody out there (not me, but somebody who has
as much right to post as you do) wanted more than one group
to read their comments. You prefer that those wishes be
ignored, because you had this compulsion to click on the
threads and read them and discovered that they were
offensive.

Admittedly, RAO is a battleground that sane people best
ignore. However, it is still easy to do that by not clicking
on a thread. It is like ignoring pornography. Rather than
censoring, just do not call it up.

In any case, I will endeavor to censor my future
interjections and stick with RAO when it comes to dealing
with the lunatics who post there and elsewhere.

Howard Ferstler
Will Brink

Brian wrote:

I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7

Sorry to hear it. How long have you had this problem?

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/