Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Cleaning a shotgun mic

Hi,

I have a Neumann KMR81i here that needs a good clean. I've dismantled it to
reveal the inner mesh, leaving the shotgun tube with end cap.

Whats the do's and don'ts to clean both the mesh and the end cap, which is
particularly gunked up?

Cheers,

Gareth.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c..._descrip tion

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eric Toline[_2_] Eric Toline[_2_] is offline

On Apr 6, 6:18*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
Hi,

I have a Neumann KMR81i here that needs a good clean. *I've dismantled it to
reveal the inner mesh, leaving the shotgun tube with end cap.

Whats the do's and don'ts *to clean both the mesh and the end cap, which is
particularly gunked up?

Cheers,

Gareth.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...cid=kmr81i_des...

I would soak both the cap & mesh screen in warm soapy water and gently
clean with a soft toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Once the gunk & dirt
are loose/gone rinse with clean water and dry with tissues then let
air dry. You could also use 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the soap
& water.

Eric
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

wrote:

Hi,

I have a Neumann KMR81i here that needs a good clean. *I've dismantled it to
reveal the inner mesh, leaving the shotgun tube with end cap.

Whats the do's and don'ts *to clean both the mesh and the end cap, which is
particularly gunked up?

Cheers,

Gareth.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...cid=kmr81i_des...

I would soak both the cap & mesh screen in warm soapy water and gently
clean with a soft toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Once the gunk & dirt
are loose/gone rinse with clean water and dry with tissues then let
air dry. You could also use 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the soap
& water.

Eric

What? You wouldn't use this? It seems to be made for the job. G

http://tinyurl.com/shotgun-kit

Posted to rec.audio.pro

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Maintenance/Cleaning-Kits-Accessories|/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104270580/Gunmaster-Super-Deluxe-Cleaning-Kit/733590.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshoot ing-gun-maintenance-cleaning-kits-accessories%2F_%2FN-1102325&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104270580

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Hi,

I have a Neumann KMR81i here that needs a good clean. *I've dismantled it to
reveal the inner mesh, leaving the shotgun tube with end cap.

Whats the do's and don'ts *to clean both the mesh and the end cap, which is
particularly gunked up?

Cheers,

Gareth.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...cid=kmr81i_des...

I would soak both the cap & mesh screen in warm soapy water and gently
clean with a soft toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Once the gunk & dirt
are loose/gone rinse with clean water and dry with tissues then let
air dry. You could also use 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the soap
& water.

Eric

What? You wouldn't use this? It seems to be made for the job. G

http://tinyurl.com/shotgun-kit- Hide quoted text -

For my Browning Broadway yes. For my Neumann, no.

Eric

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Hi,

I have a Neumann KMR81i here that needs a good clean. I've dismantled it
reveal the inner mesh, leaving the shotgun tube with end cap.

Whats the do's and don'ts to clean both the mesh and the end cap, which
is
particularly gunked up?

Cheers,

Gareth.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...cid=kmr81i_des...

I would soak both the cap & mesh screen in warm soapy water and gently
clean with a soft toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Once the gunk & dirt
are loose/gone rinse with clean water and dry with tissues then let
air dry. You could also use 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the soap
& water.

Eric

I think I'll go with Eric's suggestion, thank you very much guys.

(I was just slightly concerned in case there was anything special about the
end cap and its hole structure)

Cheers!

Gareth.