agent86

playon wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:28:04 -0500, Pete Dimsman
wrote:

Just in case your Hummer doesn't use enough gas, you can always get one
of these:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...5a.hmedium.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6026041

Truck maker unveils a monster pickup
Navistar's 14,500-pound vehicle gets 7 miles a gallon

Jesus... why not just buy a Kenworth or a Peterbuilt and be done with
it?

Cause then they'd* need a CDL, which they couldn't get unless they actually
proved they know how to drive.

* They referring to the people most likely to a vehicle like this.

Blind Joni

I guess I'm on of the average US citizens. Do you think left to their own
devices these countries would develope governments more to our liking?

No, they'd develop governments more to *their* liking.
That's the classic American attitude... do you think that other
countries exist for the purpose of pleasing us?

You and others keep refering to the view of the US around the world..this was
my point.
You seem to suggest that we should be doing just that.

the the Shah of Iran... that one
really turned around and bit us on the ass, didn't it? You don't seem
like a dumb guy, why don't you read up on it a little, I'm seriously
encouraging you.

Just heard a radio show about the Shah....saying he basically modernized a
nation in a generation..and now it is in many ways back where it was 25 years
ago..at least in terms of freedom.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

You claim we are not hated?

That's what I walk around worrying about. A lot of people might hate me
personally..doesn't affect how I live or what I do...I have priorities and
values that I live by.Haters will hate. I don't hate anyone..do you?
Some religions teach you not to hate..others obviously..perhaps wrongly..do
not.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

They don't have to study politics to know what the US is doing, it is
blatantly obvious to them.

Everyone has a story. You know the old example. Ten people see an
accident..eyewitnesses..and guess how many different stories we will hear about
it? Now..go half a world away...etc..etc. Must all be true!!

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Roger W. Norman

A point mostly lost on others. Who even knows when the US went off the gold
standard and suddenly made the pact to have all oil transactions be in
dollars? My guess, 1932? Or was it 1938?

(I actually know the answer, but if I don't prod...)

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
Pete Dimsman wrote:

Blind Joni wrote:

The problem is that the US 7% of the population consumes far, far
more than it's share of the worlds resources. And most of those
resources belonged to other countries... it's a stacked deck,
which is why so much of the world resents America.

I understand this but aren't we BUYING those resources..we're not
stealing them.

You CAN'T put a dollar value on everything. There is a finite amount of
fossil fuel available, and we took a good portion of that while it was
still cheap. Because we have (or had) the money to pay for them, doesn't
change the fact that we have and continue to use an imporportionate
amount of those resources. Maybe "stealing" isn't the right word, you
can call it "taking".

Making sure that oil was to be sold for dollars at about the same time we

went off the gold standard was a great way to insure the continued viability
of the Dollar...

Kurt Albershardt

Blind Joni wrote:

the the Shah of Iran... that one really
turned around and bit us on the ass, didn't it? You don't seem
like a dumb guy, why don't you read up on it a little, I'm
seriously encouraging you.

Just heard a radio show about the Shah....saying he basically
modernized a nation in a generation.

What show, on what outlet?

now it is in many ways back where it was 25 years
ago..at least in terms of freedom.

The Shah was ousted 25 years ago, not sure what you're saying here?

Scott Dorsey

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
Blind Joni wrote:

the the Shah of Iran... that one really
turned around and bit us on the ass, didn't it? You don't seem
like a dumb guy, why don't you read up on it a little, I'm
seriously encouraging you.

Just heard a radio show about the Shah....saying he basically
modernized a nation in a generation.

What show, on what outlet?

now it is in many ways back where it was 25 years
ago..at least in terms of freedom.

The Shah was ousted 25 years ago, not sure what you're saying here?

Edgar Snow's _People On Our Side_ has some nice discussion of the Shah's
attempts to modernize the country and his help in WWII. You may or may
not agree with how he did it, but the book is well worth reading.

Blind Joni

He may have modernized the infrastructer but he was a fascist asshole
who terrorized Iranians with his SAVAK secret police (trained by the
CIA). Please, read some history instead of getting all your info from
the media.

Sorry Al, not trying to appear lazy. So, the Shah was worse for the Iranian
people than the present government?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

Have you ever lived anywhere besides the US?

No..sorry for my obvious lack of something. That isn't my point. My point is
that people are people..and when we assign overall greater inteligence or
wisdom do people aropund tha world as a generality it would seem a mistake. I
don't really want to live outside the US..right now..but are you saying that
people elsewhere are worried about waht the everyday American thinks?
John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

No surprise..maybbe there should be 3 countries there instead of one.

The Kurds have way too much oil under their sand to make that a probability.

Aha!!!

So even the innocent, oppressed locals have oil on their minds..so funny that
we should feel the same way.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Blind Joni" wrote in message...

but are you saying that
people elsewhere are worried about waht the everyday American thinks?

I get the impression that they feel like the 'everyday American' is responsible
for what their cough-cough leadership thinks and does. That makes us
guilty by association.

playon

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:33:35 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
wrote:

"Blind Joni" wrote in message...

but are you saying that
people elsewhere are worried about waht the everyday American thinks?

I get the impression that they feel like the 'everyday American' is responsible
for what their cough-cough leadership thinks and does. That makes us
guilty by association.

I think a lot of people in other countries realize that Bush is not
that popular among Americans, and know that he was not elected with
the popular vote. However if he is re-elected I don't think they will
be giving the average American as much slack, & why should they...

Blind Joni

Except that the oil belongs to *them*.

Hopefully they will get to sell it and beneift..are they able to drill, pump
and so forth?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.