Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default SET amplifier Q

** Hi all,

a neatly built, home brew SET amp arrived on my bench this week, I
understand it is about 10 years old.

The tube line up is two 300Bs in parallel and one 6SN7 per channel, the HT
is 550 volts and each 300B has its own grid bias adjustment. There is no NFB
used and the PSU has diodes and a metal bridge for DC heaters on the 300Bs.

One of the output transformers ( UBT-1s by One Electron ) was open primary
and two of the Chinese 300Bs were stuffed.

I have one good channel and I so did few tests, grid bias set at -105V and
plate current is close to 55mA per tube.

Max power is 21 watts at 2.2% THD - mostly 3H.

At 10 watts, the THD is 0.85% - mostly 3H.

At 1 watt, the THD is 0.14%, mostly 2H.

The damping factor is 4.5

Signal to noise is -80 dB rel full power.

Input sensitivity is 260mV.

All the above is with an 8 ohm load on the 4 ohm tapping of the OT.

These numbers are a rather better than I expected.

Any comments ?

..... Phil

WTB: Alpine 4381 Time Delay remote, 3362 DSP, 3900 D/A, 3545 amplifier, and 3558 amplifier Steve Car Audio 1 August 8th 12 12:53 PM
NAD 2200 Power Amplifier Bridge Mono NAD 1135 Pre Amplifier - Hookup mark High End Audio 7 November 3rd 09 12:47 AM
How about this amplifier? Justin Vacuum Tubes 35 August 15th 06 12:43 AM
best add-on amplifier? gary h Tech 3 September 1st 04 07:24 PM
Converting a two channel amplifier into a four channel amplifier. Is it possible??? Robert Morein Audio Opinions 1 March 14th 04 02:28 PM