Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Kruse Kruse is offline

Default Sound quality of "Copy protected & pre-ripped for PC" music.....

Just got a new CD and the following was printed on the cover: Copy
protected & pre-ripped for PC". So........because of the copy
protection, has the sound quality taken a dive on this CD, or exactly
what does that statement mean, audio wise?
TIA.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kruse wrote:

Just got a new CD and the following was printed on the cover: Copy
protected & pre-ripped for PC". So........because of the copy
protection, has the sound quality taken a dive on this CD, or exactly
what does that statement mean, audio wise?

What it means amongst other things is that it's not a proper 'red book'
audio CD and can't carry the Philips licenced 'CD' logo. Does it ?

As for the tracks that you can copy to your CD they will be of lower than
CD quality and probably have a tag set in the file to stop them being
further copied. The actual files on the CD that you can play on a real CD
player *ought* to be of the normal quality but heaven knows what tricks
the 'record companies' are up to now.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Kruse Kruse is offline

On May 1, 2:19 am, Eeyore
wrote:

What it means amongst other things is that it's not a proper 'red book'
audio CD and can't carry the Philips licenced 'CD' logo. Does it ?

FWIW, it is a "Best of ZZ Top", pressed in Russia. I figured it was to
obviously stop the piracy
in a country known for just that. Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Kruse" wrote in message

Just got a new CD and the following was printed on the
cover: Copy protected & pre-ripped for PC".

I speculate that this is a dual-session CD with both an audio session and a
data session on the same disc.

The data session is set up to capture a typical PC CD ROM, ultimately
putting up a menu that allows you to do something with MP3 or WMA versions
of the audio tracks. On some PCs this could keep you from ripping the audio
tracks.

So........because of the copy protection, has the sound
quality taken a dive on this CD,

The audio tracks that a CD drive sees are probably OK. The stuff that the
data tracks try to force on you may not be so good.

It's not a red or orange book CD so it is arguably not a CD at all.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Kruse" wrote

Just got a new CD and the following was printed on the
cover: Copy protected & pre-ripped for PC".

I speculate that this is a dual-session CD with both an audio session and a
data session on the same disc.

That's how I read it too.

The data session is set up to capture a typical PC CD ROM, ultimately
putting up a menu that allows you to do something with MP3 or WMA versions
of the audio tracks. On some PCs this could keep you from ripping the audio
tracks.

So........because of the copy protection, has the sound
quality taken a dive on this CD,

The audio tracks that a CD drive sees are probably OK. The stuff that the
data tracks try to force on you may not be so good.

It's not a red or orange book CD so it is arguably not a CD at all.

It would qualify as a CD-ROM but not an audio CD.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arnii "**** for Dinner" Kroofeces battles with Donkey for supremacy at
the nerds' table.

I speculate that this is a dual-session CD
The audio tracks that a CD drive sees
so it is arguably not a CD at all.

Note to OP: Arnii Krooborg is Usenet's leading expert on customizing
computers through fecal enhancement. Consider the source.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"Kruse" wrote in message
Just got a new CD and the following was printed on the cover: Copy
protected & pre-ripped for PC". So........because of the copy
protection, has the sound quality taken a dive on this CD, or exactly
what does that statement mean, audio wise?

Does it have a Ck logo on it?
Did it try to install a player app on your pc?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote

At worst, it could contain a piece of software called a "rootkit":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_So...ection_scandal

Possibly, but I doubt it's of the XCP variety.

Still, it may be MediaMax related, in which case this is useful reading.
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

Or if you wish to delve further into the subject, try...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

Kruse said:

because of the copy
protection, has the sound quality taken a dive on this CD,

How does it sound to you?
--
Ken
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Kruse Kruse is offline

On May 1, 4:10 pm, UnsteadyKen wrote:

How does it sound to you?
--
Ken

I haven't had time to play it on a good stereo. Maybe this weekend.
All I've been able to do so far is to play it on a $20 CD player
through some cheap computer speakers at work.
(Spare me the hardships. If I brought in a better player/speakers,
somebody would rip them off!!!)

I collect Pilot tube audio and this weekend we'll try to see how it
sounds over that.
BTW, I don't see the CK logo and I'll scan it for any worms/spam/or
viruses when I got some time. Just for curiosity,
I might see how easy it is to copy on an old Windows 98 computer that
is no longer hooked to the internet.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kruse wrote:

UnsteadyKen wrote:

How does it sound to you?

I haven't had time to play it on a good stereo.

But those won't be the tracks that are 'rippable' by your PC !

Think of this 'CD' as having 2 versions on it. One which is standard CD
quality that will play in a standard CD player and another copy of lower
quality that your PC will 'see'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Ah so you're back from your binge session eh? Want to mistake anyone else
here for me today? Are there any apologies forthcoming after the tirade of
unwarranted abuse you heaped on me recently?

So please explain? Were you inebriated, drugged or psychotic when you
abused someone else mistaking them for me?

So I take it we won't be seeing you at aus.hi-fi for a while then I gather
after the total fool you made of yourself the other day.

So please Arny get well soon and to help the healing process would you like
me to copy your post to this group? I'm sure your pals here would love to
see it ;-) I know George is very fond of seeing what a total idiot you can
be :-))

All the best TT (the real one, not Ruff)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

TT wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

so what did Arny write ? Enquiring minds need to know !

Ah so you're back from your binge session eh?

You're accusing Arny of alcoholism ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Poofie lurches toward the bar and apologizes for the Krooborg's
filthfulness.

Ah so you're back from your binge session eh?

You're accusing Arny of alcoholism ?

There there, Poofie. Nobody's picking on poor Arnii Kroofeces. Go back
to your paddock and wait for Uncle Bizzum to get busy with you.