Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Beside Myself

Default 75W speakers with 80W Integrated Power Amp?

Greets!

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

I know the difference isn't all that great; so would I be okay if I
just kept the volume below 1-2 o'clock? (it's not like I'm plugging
25W, 4 ohm speakers into the amp...)

Or, is this situation potentially dangerous to the speakers at any
volume? - enough to warrant strapping resistors onto my speaker wire?
If so, would you kindly describe the necessary resistor values and how
I would go about introducing them? Series or parallel, etc?

Thanks everyone for your help
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Kalman Rubinson

First, those ratings are not absolute but have a little variability
from sample to sample. Second, both will be capable of higher peak
input/output but that's not specified. Third, your ears should tell
you if you are anywhere near pushing either one as distortion will be
apparent.

Overall, no problem.

Kal

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:32:17 -0500, Beside Myself
wrote:

Greets!

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

I know the difference isn't all that great; so would I be okay if I
just kept the volume below 1-2 o'clock? (it's not like I'm plugging
25W, 4 ohm speakers into the amp...)

Or, is this situation potentially dangerous to the speakers at any
volume? - enough to warrant strapping resistors onto my speaker wire?
If so, would you kindly describe the necessary resistor values and how
I would go about introducing them? Series or parallel, etc?

Thanks everyone for your help

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Beside Myself wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

Speaker power ratings are basically ballpark figures at best and are often
pulled out of the butt of some guy in marketing.

If nothing is clipping, don't worry.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Beside Myself" wrote ...
I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

I know the difference isn't all that great; so would I be okay if I
just kept the volume below 1-2 o'clock? (it's not like I'm plugging
25W, 4 ohm speakers into the amp...)

Or, is this situation potentially dangerous to the speakers at any
volume? - enough to warrant strapping resistors onto my speaker wire?
If so, would you kindly describe the necessary resistor values and how
I would go about introducing them? Series or parallel, etc?

Both the amplifier and speaker "power ratings" are semi-
fictitious anyway. As you say, they are close enough that I
would not give it a second thought.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Walt

Beside Myself wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

I know the difference isn't all that great; so would I be okay if I
just kept the volume below 1-2 o'clock? (it's not like I'm plugging
25W, 4 ohm speakers into the amp...)

Or, is this situation potentially dangerous to the speakers at any
volume? - enough to warrant strapping resistors onto my speaker wire?
If so, would you kindly describe the necessary resistor values and how
I would go about introducing them? Series or parallel, etc?

As others have said, this should not be a problem. In fact, you are
more likely to blow up your speakers with an underpowered amp. The
reason is if you turn up the volume too much the undepowered amp will
exhibit clipping which can damage your tweeter.

Bottom line: you'll be fine. If you like the way they sound, plug them
in and stop worrying. Unless you're really trying to rock the house
nothing should blow up. No need to "baby" things either - you should be
able to play things reasonably loud.

As a reality check, what's the effeciency rating of the speakers? If
they're fairly convetional home stereo speakers it's probably somewhere
around 90 db SPL at one watt one meter. Which means that most of the
time you'll be pushing 10 watts or less.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
mc

"Beside Myself" wrote in message
Greets!

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

I know the difference isn't all that great; so would I be okay if I
just kept the volume below 1-2 o'clock? (it's not like I'm plugging
25W, 4 ohm speakers into the amp...)

The difference is so small as to be undetectable.

You can damage almost any speakers with almost any amplifier if you turn the
volume up so high that the sound is badly distorted. Don't do that, and
you'll be fine.

Tiny differences in wattage rating do not matter.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:32:17 -0500, Beside Myself wrote:

Greets!

I'm considering purchasing a pair of 75Watt, 8 ohm speakers (each).
Trouble is, my integrated amp is rated at 80W per channel into 8 ohm.
Both refer to continuous power. Don't know the maximum power rating
for either the amp or the speakers.

Don't put the volume control to ten all the time and you'll be fine.

At normal listening levels, you're probably doing less than two watts.
Twenty watts is actually pretty loud. At 80W you'll have people asking
you to turn it down unless you live alone and not in an apartment.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

"AZ Nomad" wrote:

Twenty watts is actually pretty loud. At 80W you'll have people
asking you to turn it down

80W is only 6dB more than 20W, so it's not THAT much louder...

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)