Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

Default Oh Teacher?

Can I run this player thru a passive preamp into the power amp with specs
listed here?I assume the amp input signal for max output power of 1.6V will
allow the players Audio output:Output level: 2 Vrms (1 kHz, 0 dB) . Am I
understanding these terms correctly?
***
Digital Playback Specs:
Audio D/A converter =24bit / 192kHz

Audio Systemigital audio format =DTS digital output, Dolby Digital output

Surround sound effects= Advanced Virtual Surround Sound (V.S.S.)

Response bandwidth= 4 - 44000 Hz
Digital output sample rate= 48KHz, 96KHz
Signal-to-noise ratio =115 dB
Supported digital audio standards= MP3, WMA
Total harmonic distortion= 0.0025 %
Dynamic range= 102 dB
Sound output mode =Stereo

Audio output:
Output level: 2 Vrms (1 kHz, 0 dB)
Amp specs:
Output Power:
100 W per channel into 8 ½
200 W per channel into 4 ½
(both at less than 1% THD)

Frequency response @ -3 dB:
2 Hz to 200 kHz

Slew rate:
250V/µS

Input impedance:
100 k½ each phase

Input signal for maximum output power:
1.6 V

Output impedance:
0.4 ½

Power supply energy storage:
180 joules

Gain:
25 dB

Power consumption:
250 VA at idle
1000 VA maximum at full power

and on another note, going by the Player specs alone how would you expect
it to sound?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

say compared to a player with thse specs run into the same amp remmebering
the forst player was run thru a passive pre.

Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE=0.1 Hz to 1 MHz +0 dB, -3 dB
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION (THP/THD)
BALANCED, UNWEIGHTED=1 kHz 0.005% 20 kHz 0.008%
SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO
BALANCED, “A” WEIGHTED=97 dB
CHANNEL SEPARATION=97.8 dB @ 1 kHz
DIGITAL TO ANALOG CONVERSION=Dual interleaved 20-bit DACs
DIGITAL FILTERS=16x oversampling employing dual Motorola
56009 DSPs, HDCD® employing Pacific
Microsonics PMD 100
DIGITAL CLOCKING SYSTEM=Master clock synchronizes disc drive, laser
assembly, DSP circuit, and decoder circuit
MAINS
Voltage= 100 V, 120 V, 200 V, 220 V, 240 V
Frequency= 50/60 Hz
OUTPUT VOLTAGE
BALANCED=13 Vrms
POWER CONSUMPTION=90 W
INPUT IMPEDANCE=98 kOhm
OUTPUT IMPEDANCE=17 Ohms
GAIN=BALANCED-12 dB,
SINGLE-ENDED-6 dB

not to be overly mysterious the first players specs are that of my $40.00
Panasonic DVD player and the second player specs in this post are of the
Krell KPS 25sc with 24bit/96khz upgrade asking over $1K. I am hoping to
learn from an objectivist standpoint how i might expect my subjective
listening expereince to differ if i spent the thousand pluss on the Krell
rather than a Hundred on a passive preamp for the DVD/CD player.If anyone
cares to explain or point me to resources which can explain how what the
Krell can do, at least from an objectiveist standpoint should deliver a more
completely detailed,clear, coherent sound thus finallly justifying for me
the substantial extra expense.I have not found a way do A/B the two devices
yet but if i can understand how the two machinces handle the job of CD
playback and how the more expensive one does it orders of magnitude better
maybe i'll have more peace of mind when i make my decision.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

I don't fully understand your setup, but you can certainly connect the line
level output or headphone output of your DVD player to any line-level input.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:58:01 -0500, "Chris"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

They should sound the same. If there's any difference, it's likely
that the Panasonic player will sound better, simply because it uses
newer technology, including better DACs. You can certainly use a
passive preamp between those units, I do this in my own system with
devices which have similar characteristics to those you mention above.

BTW, please note that *any* unit which is playing CDs has an output
frequency response limited to less than 22kHz, and a dynamic range
limited to 93dB. The specs you quote are not applicable to CD replay.

Of course, there will be differences in pride of ownership, the Krell
is a classy piece of very solid construction, but has very old
technology by modern 'universal' player standards.