Default Copying a damaged (but playable) CD - HELP!!!

To sum it up quickly, I've done something stupid and need some help.
I've got a very rare audio CD ca. 1986 that I keep in storage for safe
keeping and play a CDR copy that I made. Well, the CDR that I made has
been damaged - the outter edge of the disc is missing a "chunk."

The disc still plays fine in an audio CD player (I've been listening to
it in my DVD player just now) since the chunk of the disc that broke
off didn't "cut into" the recorded section of the disc.

I'm trying to re-copy it from the damaged CDR to a new one (and to my
hard drive for safe keeping), but every time I put it into my CDR
drive, the disc isn't recognized/read (computer acts like the drive is
empty). As I stated above, the recorded section of the disc is fine,
the damaged "chunk" is on the outter edge.

I'm using Windows ME and Adaptec Easy CD Creator to try and copy this
disc. Does anybody have any suggestions on salvaging this recording?
Normally I wouldn't care, but the original is in storage about 2.5
hours from my home and it's an awful long way to drive to get a new CDR
made.

Thanks!!

Scott Dorsey

I'm trying to re-copy it from the damaged CDR to a new one (and to my
hard drive for safe keeping), but every time I put it into my CDR
drive, the disc isn't recognized/read (computer acts like the drive is
empty). As I stated above, the recorded section of the disc is fine,
the damaged "chunk" is on the outter edge.

Yes, but the disk is now unbalanced, and typical CD drives on computers
have hardly enough torque to spin an undamaged CD up to speed and keep
it there.

I'm using Windows ME and Adaptec Easy CD Creator to try and copy this
disc. Does anybody have any suggestions on salvaging this recording?
Normally I wouldn't care, but the original is in storage about 2.5
hours from my home and it's an awful long way to drive to get a new CDR
made.

You might be able to try and glue some plastic of similar weight to the
damaged section of the disk and see if you can get the thing reasonably
balanced. Or you can try using a higher grade transport with more torque,
like an old Magnavox home player.

Geoff@work

wrote in message
oups.com...
To sum it up quickly, I've done something stupid and need some help.
I've got a very rare audio CD ca. 1986 that I keep in storage for safe
keeping and play a CDR copy that I made. Well, the CDR that I made has
been damaged - the outter edge of the disc is missing a "chunk."

Take your "safe-storage" CD out of safe storage, and make a few copies from
it. Put it back in safe storage, use one copy, and put one or two copies in
more accessable storage. Make a few CD-ROM versions of extracted files
too, for good measure. Save everything onto several different brands of
media.

geoff

hank alrich

savasca wrote:

To sum it up quickly, I've done something stupid and need some help.
I've got a very rare audio CD ca. 1986 that I keep in storage for safe
keeping and play a CDR copy that I made. Well, the CDR that I made has
been damaged - the outter edge of the disc is missing a "chunk."

The disc still plays fine in an audio CD player (I've been listening to
it in my DVD player just now) since the chunk of the disc that broke
off didn't "cut into" the recorded section of the disc.

I'm trying to re-copy it from the damaged CDR to a new one (and to my
hard drive for safe keeping), but every time I put it into my CDR
drive, the disc isn't recognized/read (computer acts like the drive is
empty). As I stated above, the recorded section of the disc is fine,
the damaged "chunk" is on the outter edge.

Play it out the digital ports on the CD player and into the computer's
soundcard.

--
ha

Ricky Hunt

"Geoff@work" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
To sum it up quickly, I've done something stupid and need some help.
I've got a very rare audio CD ca. 1986 that I keep in storage for safe
keeping and play a CDR copy that I made. Well, the CDR that I made has
been damaged - the outter edge of the disc is missing a "chunk."

Take your "safe-storage" CD out of safe storage, and make a few copies
from it. Put it back in safe storage, use one copy, and put one or two
copies in more accessable storage. Make a few CD-ROM versions of
extracted files too, for good measure. Save everything onto several
different brands of media.

There's your answer. Isn't that what safeties are for?

Gert Wiersema

I'm using Windows ME and Adaptec Easy CD Creator to try and
copy this disc.

We're dealing with AUDIO (red book) here. Wouldn't you want to use the
ONLY piece of software capable of dealing with this data?

www.exactaudiocopy.de

I don't know if it is the drive that physically declines the disk, or
that it is ECDC that does so, but you should give this a try. EAC pays a
lot of attention to drive features and usually eats everything you
offer.

Gert

Ben Bradley

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:14:09 +0200, "Gert Wiersema"
wrote:

I'm using Windows ME and Adaptec Easy CD Creator to try and
copy this disc.

We're dealing with AUDIO (red book) here. Wouldn't you want to use the
ONLY piece of software capable of dealing with this data?

www.exactaudiocopy.de

I don't know if it is the drive that physically declines the disk, or
that it is ECDC that does so, but you should give this a try. EAC pays a
lot of attention to drive features and usually eats everything you
offer.

From the fact the CD is damaged, I presume it's so off-balance the
drive wouldn't read it. Perhaps an explanation why the audio CD player
would still play it, the drive will spin the CD up much faster than
needed to play it at an audio rate, and the higher speed/extra
vibration would make for a problem reading it.
Stick something on the broken part of the CD to make it 'balanced'
as Scott was suggesting, then read it with EAC.

Or perhaps you can find a really old, working "1x" CD drive to put
in your computer and read it.

Gert

Stephen Stewart

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What's wrong with making another copy from your original?

Isn't that why you have it in a safe place in the first instance.

If it's that safe that even you can't get at it then there's not much point
in owning the original at all.

Stephen

Peter Sylvester

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

[...]

--scott

You could also notch out a similar sized section on the opposite side to
get it balanced. (spread it out over a wider area, so as not to remove
additional "data")

--Peter

Mike Richter

Ben Bradley wrote:

Or perhaps you can find a really old, working "1x" CD drive to put
in your computer and read it.

I've not been following this thread, so perhaps the obvious suggestion
has been made and then overwhelmed by exotic and arguable alternatives.
As long as the disc is playable, play it, capturing the analogue signal.
Simply re-digitize it. Will there be losses? Of course. Will they be
audible? Possibly, but that depends on how critical you are.

But without question that would produce a working copy where the others
have the potential to damage the disc further.

While it would be better to use a separate high-quality player, the
CD-ROM drive will serve the purpose by running a cable from its
headphone output to Line In on the sound card.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Lorin David Schultz

"Gert Wiersema" wrote:

EAC pays a lot of attention to drive features and usually eats
everything you offer.

I thought so too, until yesterday.

Our network distributes music cues to affiliates on CD-R. Ours are a
few years old now, and are getting hard to read. EAC could not
successfully retrieve a particular 30 second track even after an hour of
trying.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

MCheu

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:36:52 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"
wrote:

"Gert Wiersema" wrote:

EAC pays a lot of attention to drive features and usually eats
everything you offer.

I thought so too, until yesterday.

Our network distributes music cues to affiliates on CD-R. Ours are a
few years old now, and are getting hard to read. EAC could not
successfully retrieve a particular 30 second track even after an hour of
trying.

Worst case, you can disable the secure ripping features and have it
ignore errors. The result may not be 100% accurate, but if it's the
only copy you've got, it's better than nothing.
Thanks.

MCheu

Damaged Amplifiers...could this be why? Mike Tech 4 January 14th 05 06:04 AM
slightly damaged sub questions Don Joe Car Audio 1 May 4th 04 08:42 AM
Copying one channel to another Bob Jones Pro Audio 3 September 18th 03 11:33 PM
Copying Logic Mixer paul md Pro Audio 7 August 7th 03 02:48 PM
Copying Opera Laserdiscs John Williams High End Audio 1 August 6th 03 04:01 PM