Dazzler

Default Speakon plugs and biwiring for hifi system

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated
here...... :-)
Pooh Bear

Dazzler wrote:

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated
here...... :-)

I assume that's there's 2 'straps' at the speaker end that are removable
so you have 4 bananas to connect to.

1+ and 1- for LF. 2+ and 2- for HF is the norm IIRC.

Nice to see a hi-fi wired with decent connectors for a change. :-)

Don't bother with esoteric wire btw - just use the cheapest 4mm^2 that you
can find. The bass esp will doubtless improve.

Graham

Dale Farmer

Dazzler wrote:

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated
here...... :-)

Check the manuals to ensure that the connector is wired up the way you

expect it to be. That is not really very well standardized yet.

--Dale

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Dale Farmer wrote:

Dazzler wrote:

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated
here...... :-)

Check the manuals to ensure that the connector is wired up the way you
expect it to be. That is not really very well standardized yet.

Or, pull out the ohmmeter. If +1 and +2 are tied together at the amp,
you're good to go.

Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
Dale Farmer wrote:

Dazzler wrote:

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated
here...... :-)

Check the manuals to ensure that the connector is wired up the way you
expect it to be. That is not really very well standardized yet.

Or, pull out the ohmmeter. If +1 and +2 are tied together at the amp,
you're good to go.

Is that what you really meant ?

1- and 2- are normally the groundy end.

Graham

Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
Dale Farmer wrote:

Dazzler wrote:

Hi

Can someone please put me right b4 I destroy my amp with a short :-(

I have aquired a power amp with speakon outputs and was wondering if I
can use the 4FC plug as a simple biwire output . ie. can I use +1 -1
for HF and +2 -2 for LF to banana plugs on my speakers (which are
setup for biwiring) or do i just use +1 & -1 ? Any help appreciated

Check the manuals to ensure that the connector is wired up the way you
expect it to be. That is not really very well standardized yet.

Or, pull out the ohmmeter. If +1 and +2 are tied together at the amp,
you're good to go.

Is that what you really meant ?

1- and 2- are normally the groundy end.

Yes. If he is biwiring (not biamping), he will want +1 and +2 tied together,
and -1 and -2 tied together also, so both sides of the amp are tied to both
sides of the connector.