Posted to rec.audio.tech
The Choker

Default I want to wire my house for speakers but don't know what I'm doing :)

OK, I know this is probably the most asked question but after getting
a professional quote of $75/hour to do the wiring I figure I'd give it
a shot myself...

Details:
-I'd like to have my PC as the source of music (mp3's baby!)
-I'd like wire speakers to 3 locations in the house (basement den,
family room, outside deck)
-I'd like individual volume controls for each location

Now what? I'm about a week away from drywalling my house and would
like to wire the walls ASAP. Besides my PC & stereo receiver what do I
need? My understanding right now is that I have to wire my PC's sound
card to the stereo receiver. With what kind of wire? What's the
minimum sound card requirements?

What about from the receiver to the speakers? Will my current receiver
be able to wire 3 sets of speakers? What kind of wire should I use?
(all sets of speakers are under 50 feet away, I've been reading 16
gauge, is this OK?). What about volume control?

I know this is long winded...but my initial search of the internet gave
me so many options! What I'm looking for is a low cost solution that I
can easily install with a friend or two over some beers.

Thanks in advance,
The Choker

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"The Choker" wrote ...
OK, I know this is probably the most asked question
but after getting a professional quote of $75/hour to do
the wiring I figure I'd give it a shot myself...

Details:
-I'd like to have my PC as the source of music (mp3's baby!)
-I'd like wire speakers to 3 locations in the house
(basement den, family room, outside deck)
-I'd like individual volume controls for each location

Now what? I'm about a week away from drywalling my
house and would like to wire the walls ASAP.

In each room I thought I might want to have music, I
would...
1) Put in a 4x4 (square) wall-box next to the light switch
box. This would be for the volume-control (and/or what-
ever other remote control kinds of gadgets you might want.)
2) Put in standard single-gang wall boxes (at outlet height)
at each place in the wall where you may want places to
connect any conventional (box) speakers.
3) Put in a 4x4 square wall-box at outlet height at the
source location (where your computer, amplifier, etc
are located)

I would run 1/2-inch (or 3/4-inch) cheap plastic conduit
from each of these boxes either up to the crawl-space
attic or the basement (depending on which is more convienent)
to allow you to pull in whatever kind of wiring you finally
decide on (or even to change it in the future to something
different). I might run 1-inch to (#3) if you anticipate many
wires from different rooms.

You might also want to think about additional similar
wall boxes for TV, etc.

This method lets you...
1) Get stuff into the wall quickly before the drywall.
2) Leaves your options open if you don't know what
you will use right now (or in the future for that matter!)
3) Is easy to pull wires into without special equipment
(assuming acccess to the attic or basement).
4) Is cheap (especially compared to running wires
after the drywall is in).
5) It is easy to install (BEFORE the drywall) with
minimal tools, even with a beer or two (but not 6
if you are using sharp tools!)

I have done this in houses even when I didn't have the
drywall deadline next week. It allows maximum
flexibility at minimum price. Can't hardly beat that.

Besides my PC & stereo receiver what do I need?

Depends on what exactly you want to do? Particularly,
do you want to have any additonal controls except
volume in each room?

My understanding right now is that I have to wire my
PC's sound card to the stereo receiver. With what kind
of wire?

Ordinary audio cable. You can buy one with a 1/8-inch
stereo mini-phone connector (likely what your sound
card uses, since you didn't tell us) and two RCA jacks
on the other end to plug into your stereo. This assumes
you have your stereo at the same location as your
computer. If not, that is annother question for which you
must provide better details.

What's the minimum sound card requirements?

Any sound card ever made. Unless you had some other
requirements you forgot to mention?

What about from the receiver to the speakers? Will
my current receiver be able to wire 3 sets of speakers?

We have no idea since you didn't mention what the
specifications of your receiver are. What is its power
rating, per channel? Does it have provision to handle
more than one pair of speakers? (Switches on the front,
additional connection on the back, etc. etc.)

What kind of wire should I use? (all sets of speakers
are under 50 feet away, I've been reading 16 gauge,
is this OK?).

Probably for background music it is OK. For reasonably
loud (party-time) levels, perhaps not big enough.

What about volume control?

Depends on many things you didn't disclose. The
expected operating volumes and number of concurrent
rooms and power rating of your amp are all factors.

I know this is long winded...but my initial search of
the internet gave me so many options! What I'm looking
for is a low cost solution that I can easily install with a
friend or two over some beers.

My first preference for parts for this kind of exercise
is www.partsexpress.com for the wall-mount volume
controls, wall plates, etc. etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

The Choker wrote:
[...]

I'd second everything Richard has told you,
PVC conduit is inexpensive and easy to work with.
Go to the library and look at the NEC book they have
if your in the US. You may have to comply with some local
codes/ inspections depending on where you live.
My locale West Penn 225 would be an appropriate cable
to do the speaker runs. Shop vac some string through the conduit
and pull wire. Wall plates with connectors to make the job neat.
Good luck, Good thinking before the drywall goes up!!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
The Choker

Great stuff, thanks!

A few more questions & comments...

-The only device (besides speakers) in each room I would like is a
volume control. What's a good recommendation for a volume control? Do
I just 'crank' my amplifier to full volume and adust at the knob? When
I purchase the volume control does it come with a schematic with how to
wire it to speakers & amplifier?

-My PC & amplifier will be about 20 feet apart. Can I use a 3.5mm
stereo mini phone plug to RCA jack adapter cable? What is it's maximum
length? If not, then what? At this point, my sound card is pretty run
of the mill.

-At this point I'm checking over my amplifier to see exactly how many
pairs of speakers I can wire (remember, I'm a newbie!) and I'll decide
whether to use my existing or buy a new one.

-Is it reasonably safe to just go with 12 gauge for the wiring? I
definitely won't be blasting the music. I'm looking more for ambient
music.

-As for wiring speakers for the back patio, any special considerations
regarding wires? Speakers?

Again, thanks a lot. I can't wait to get started this weekend. This
is my first time ever posting a question in a usenet forum and it's
been awesome. It's inspired me to answer people's questions regarding
a topic I acutally know...

The Choker

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"The Choker" wrote ...
-The only device (besides speakers) in each room I would like is a
volume control. What's a good recommendation for a volume control?

www.partsexpress.com sells several different kinds at various
price levels. Pick your price/quality.

Do I just 'crank' my amplifier to full volume and adust at the knob?

We don't even know if speaker-level pads (volume controls)
at the far ends will work with your amplifier yet. Still waiting
for the particulars?

When I purchase the volume control does it come with a schematic
with how to wire it to speakers & amplifier?

Most likely. If not, it is simple (and standardized) enough that
we can talk you through it.

-My PC & amplifier will be about 20 feet apart. Can I use a 3.5mm
stereo mini phone plug to RCA jack adapter cable? What is it's
maximum
length?

You could probably get away with 20 ft. I suppose it is too much
to ask if they are both plugged into the same power branch circuit?
You may have more problem with ground loop between the two
devices far apart (computer & amp) than with merely the length
of the line-level wiring.

If not, then what?

You may have to use balanced lines and/or isolation transformers
to mitigate any noise pickup along the way and/or ground loops.
You may find it cheaper to move the computer and amp closer
together.

At this point, my sound card is pretty run of the mill.

Not very much depends on the sound card itself.

-At this point I'm checking over my amplifier to see exactly how many
pairs of speakers I can wire (remember, I'm a newbie!) and I'll decide
whether to use my existing or buy a new one.

-Is it reasonably safe to just go with 12 gauge for the wiring? I
definitely won't be blasting the music. I'm looking more for ambient
music.

12ga should be fine.

-As for wiring speakers for the back patio, any special
considerations regarding wires? Speakers?

If they are going to be left out in the weather, you will need the
outdoor kind. www.partsexpress.com has lots of varieties from
wall-mount boxes, to speakers hidden in plastic "rocks".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dale Farmer

The Choker wrote:
[...]

Just put in the boxes and conduit now. Worry about what kind of
cables are going to go in them later. Put in additional boxes for
telephones, computer data ports, cable TV connections, satellite TV
connections, and everything else you haven't thought of yet. The
beauty of empty boxes with conduit up to the crawl space or basement is
that you can put *anything* in them later. If you change your mind, you
can pull out the wire and put in something else.

--Dale
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl

"The Choker" writes:

OK, I know this is probably the most asked question but after getting
a professional quote of $75/hour to do the wiring I figure I'd give it
a shot myself...

Details:
-I'd like to have my PC as the source of music (mp3's baby!)
-I'd like wire speakers to 3 locations in the house (basement den,
family room, outside deck)
-I'd like individual volume controls for each location

Do you want the volume control to be for all speakers be
at central location or at the location where speakers are ?

For central location control one option is to have separate
amplifiers for all speakers at one place. Every one of them
getting the same signal form sound cards, and each of them
having separate volume controls. Then speaker wires from
the central location to speakers. Volume control from
amplifier fron panels or using suitable multi output sound mixer.
Approach used in restaurants, arena PA etc..

Approaches with local sound level controls:

1. One amplifier on the central location distributing 70V or 100V
audio signals. At the listening location you have 70/100V line
speakers with local volume controls (usually rotatable switches
that switch the different settings on 70/100V to 8 ohm speaker
adapting transformer inside speaker case)
+ can cover easily long ditances with thin wire
+ proven long time used technology on for example to play
background audio on shops and other places
- this kind of systems are not usually "hifi" quality
- expensive ? (price of amplifiers and speakers, electrical installation)

2. One or several amplifiers on one location supplying speaker level
signals to the cables. The speakers on the rooms are wired through
speaker level volume controls. (depending on amplifier and speakers
you could need from one to three amplifiers to drive three speaker sets)
+ can use normal hifi speakers, amplifiers and speaker wire
- long distances need quite thick wire
- suitable potentimeter can be expensive, limited on power handling
and can affect sound quality (adds easily considerable resistance
to speaker wiring that can affect more or less sound quality depending
on speakers used)

3. Active speakers with local volume controls on all locations and
line level audio distribution to them using balanced signals
+ proven and well working technology
+ audio need just this wires (preferably shielded twisted pair
microphone cable or similar, but CAT5 UTP will also usually
work acceptaly)
+ excellent sound quality possible when good speakers are selected
+ distance from central location to speakers can be long
(100-200 meters no problems)
- cost of active speakers with balanced inputs are not cheap
- you will need to invest to audio distribution amplifier with
several balanced outputs (also audio mixer with balanced out will work)

4. Active PC speakers with local volume controls on all locations and
sound distributing using "RCA cables" (unbalanced signals)
+ the speakers are very cheap
+ wiring can be made with normal ready made cables if wanted,
just use an "Y" splitters on soundcard out and feed cables from
it to all places
- sound quality is limited with PC multimedia speakers
- system can be sensitive to to noise pickup (hum, switching
noise from electrical network), at some locations things
work and at some other places not useable (can't know for sure
in advance before installation)

Now what? I'm about a week away from drywalling my house and would
like to wire the walls ASAP.

How about pulling installation electrical wire tubes from the central
location to the places you will need now before the walls are ready.
Intall thick enough tubes, and you can freely pull the needed cable
type there later without touching the drywall construction.

Besides my PC & stereo receiver what do I need?

Depends on the system you choose.

My understanding right now is that I have to wire my PC's sound
card to the stereo receiver. With what kind of wire?

Normal 3.5 mm stereo plug to RCA audio cable is the right cable type
in most cases (when PC soundcard has 3.5 mm jack sound out and
stereo receiver has line level input with RCA connectors).

What's the minimum sound card requirements?

Depdens on your preferences on the sound quality.
Any PC sound card that you are happy with the sound quality should do.

What about from the receiver to the speakers? Will my current receiver
be able to wire 3 sets of speakers?

In most cases normal average stereo hifi amplifier/receiver is not
designed to drive three sets of speakers at the same time.

What kind of wire should I use?

Depends on the system you selected to do this.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Choosing Speaker Wire bdowns Pro Audio 120 December 22nd 05 02:07 AM
Choosing Speaker Wire bdowns Tech 118 December 22nd 05 02:07 AM
How to install Audiovox FMM100 modulator in 2002 Alero sedan bryanska Car Audio 0 July 1st 05 05:28 PM
WIRE = WIRE !!! Annika1980 Audio Opinions 79 May 30th 05 08:09 PM
Speaker cables, your opinions appreciated Jogobella High End Audio 95 July 11th 04 06:40 PM