Gregg

Default "One ring to rule them all....."

It appears New Sensor now owns EH, Tungsol, Reflektor and Svetlana.

What, if anything, will this "cornering" do to the market for current
production?

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
iga

Hi Gregg !
AFAIK EH, Tungsol and Svetlana (S) are the brand names of
tubes owned by New Sensor now, but
made at the same plant named Reflector ( Saratov, Russia ).
Imagine they will buy such names as Mullard or Telefunken
tomorrow - how do you think this will affect JJ, Ei or
Svetlana (C) ?
Best regards,

--
Igor
http://www.arrakis.es/~igapop

"Gregg" escribió en el mensaje
It appears New Sensor now owns EH, Tungsol, Reflektor and Svetlana.

What, if anything, will this "cornering" do to the market for current
production?

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Gregg

Behold, iga signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hi Gregg !
AFAIK EH, Tungsol and Svetlana (S) are the brand names of tubes owned
by New Sensor now, but
made at the same plant named Reflector ( Saratov, Russia ). Imagine they
will buy such names as Mullard or Telefunken tomorrow - how do you think
this will affect JJ, Ei or Svetlana (C) ? Best regards,

Hi Igor,

Well, I have noticed one heck of a price jump. Example, former sources of
6N1P @ $1.18CAD and 6N2P @ $2.20CAD (single tube lot) have disappeared. I
get referred to the "official" wholesalers who will not budge below $8CAD
for either in 100 lot :-o

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
iga

Hi Gregg !

Hi Igor,

Well, I have noticed one heck of a price jump. Example, former sources of
6N1P @ $1.18CAD and 6N2P @ $2.20CAD (single tube lot) have disappeared.
get referred to the "official" wholesalers who will not budge below $8CAD
for either in 100 lot :-o

6N1P at $1.18 sounds music for my ears ! Seems to be a nice bussiness for
the
seller - just rest shipping and handling costs, custom and other fees,
seller's
benefit from $1.18 and wonder how these russkie managed to make a whole
thing for free..
Best regards,

--
Igor
http://www.arrakis.es/~igapop

Ruud Broens

:
: Hi Gregg !
: AFAIK EH, Tungsol and Svetlana (S) are the brand names of tubes owned
: by New Sensor now, but
: made at the same plant named Reflector ( Saratov, Russia ). Imagine they
: will buy such names as Mullard or Telefunken tomorrow - how do you think
: this will affect JJ, Ei or Svetlana (C) ? Best regards,
:
:
: Hi Igor,
:
: Well, I have noticed one heck of a price jump. Example, former sources of
: 6N1P @ $1.18CAD and 6N2P @ $2.20CAD (single tube lot) have disappeared. I
: get referred to the "official" wholesalers who will not budge below $8CAD
: for either in 100 lot :-o
:
: --
: Gregg t3h g33k
: "Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
: http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Reflector 6N2P's still something like 2 euro's over here
Rudy

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

I never heard a marketing oganization I didn't like. Or did like, whatever

Tubes are individuals. Once they leave the vacuum suckling machine they sing or
scream on their own.

Gossip about their lineage may tittilate some ...

if she rings your chimes, she is a true and noble Goddess.

Happy New Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Gregg

Behold, Ruud Broens signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"Gregg" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Rudy!

2EU = ~$4CAD. Still a bonzer deal compared to this side of the pond :-)

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Gregg

Behold, François Yves Le Gal signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:41:42 GMT, Gregg wrote:

It appears New Sensor now owns EH, Tungsol, Reflektor and Svetlana.

They own the *brands*, some only for North America, nothing more.

What, if anything, will this "cornering" do to the market for current
production?

Cornering? All of the tubes come from a couple of factories in Russia,
which are locally owned. How could New Sensor corner anything?

New Sensoe also claims directorship. Nothing comes out of Reflektor
without first being OK'd by New York. "Cornering" if they so chose, is the
way I interpret it. I may be wrong, have been before! ;-)

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Gregg

Behold, TubeGarden signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hi RATs!

I never heard a marketing oganization I didn't like. Or did like,
whatever

Tubes are individuals. Once they leave the vacuum suckling machine they
sing or scream on their own.

Gossip about their lineage may tittilate some ...

if she rings your chimes, she is a true and noble Goddess.

So true!

Bring on the tubes!

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Mark S

Something I found interesting recently. While browsing through my Music
Direct catalog, I came upon their tube listing. They are advertizing
Svetlana tubes, Winged C logo & name on tubes, big as life. St. Petersburg
stuff, the real thing. Their distributor is PM of America. I wonder if Mike
(New Sensor) is fighting this, or has a loop hole been found.
Mark

"iga" wrote in message
Hi Gregg !
AFAIK EH, Tungsol and Svetlana (S) are the brand names of
tubes owned by New Sensor now, but
made at the same plant named Reflector ( Saratov, Russia ).
Imagine they will buy such names as Mullard or Telefunken
tomorrow - how do you think this will affect JJ, Ei or
Svetlana (C) ?
Best regards,

--
Igor
http://www.arrakis.es/~igapop

"Gregg" escribió en el mensaje
It appears New Sensor now owns EH, Tungsol, Reflektor and Svetlana.

What, if anything, will this "cornering" do to the market for current
production?

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Tom Schlangen

Hi François,

New Wensor buys maybe 4% of what Reflektor produces...

You seem to know some figures ... just to get an idea, how
many tubes does a plant like Reflektor produce during a year?

Tom

Fabio Berutti

No idea of present Reflektor production volumes, but it was - just like all
other Russian "brands" - a huge State-owned facility producing tons of tubes
from subminiature (*) up to 50-pounds industrial/broadcast types. Still
these days (I suppose) the "big" vacuum devices business is related to these
25kW+ items.
Anyway, if You "google" here and there You'll find almost ten Russian sites
selling their NOS tubes (Reflektor, Svetlana, Voshkod, Ulyanovsk,
Novosibirsk... some do not have a "brand" name but the one of the city where
they were produced) at very sensible prices. Best deals are made when You
modify Your project in order to accept CCCP-only tubes. 6N1/6N2P were
produced in huge lots, it's not difficult to get 'em for 2-3$.

Ciao

Fabio

(*) BTW, the Reflektor 6N16 subminiature double triode is a cheap and VERY
interesting tube for pre/phono amps.

"Tom Schlangen" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi François,

New Wensor buys maybe 4% of what Reflektor produces...

You seem to know some figures ... just to get an idea, how
many tubes does a plant like Reflektor produce during a year?

Tom

Gregg

Behold, Fabio Berutti signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

(*) BTW, the Reflektor 6N16 subminiature double triode is a cheap and
VERY interesting tube for pre/phono amps.

How's it for noise? Right now I'm playing with 6N1P for phono.

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Ruud Broens

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
[...]

Could only find data on the 6N16G : very nice !!
eg. 6ma, Vg1k=-2 V, Ra 27k, Vak=100V very lineair:-)
is that the one they use in the Vincent amps ?
cheers,
Rudy

Patrick Turner

Fabio Berutti wrote:

No idea of present Reflektor production volumes, but it was - just like all
other Russian "brands" - a huge State-owned facility producing tons of tubes
from subminiature (*) up to 50-pounds industrial/broadcast types. Still
these days (I suppose) the "big" vacuum devices business is related to these
25kW+ items.
Anyway, if You "google" here and there You'll find almost ten Russian sites
selling their NOS tubes (Reflektor, Svetlana, Voshkod, Ulyanovsk,
Novosibirsk... some do not have a "brand" name but the one of the city where
they were produced) at very sensible prices. Best deals are made when You
modify Your project in order to accept CCCP-only tubes. 6N1/6N2P were
produced in huge lots, it's not difficult to get 'em for 2-3$.

Ciao

Fabio

From what I have seen the russians like to charge a fair old price for
air mailing the tubes to Oz.

Then one takes a risk anyway.

At least New Sensor tests the tubes in NY, and matches them, so its more
unlikely
to buy any duds.

(*) BTW, the Reflektor 6N16 subminiature double triode is a cheap and VERY
interesting tube for pre/phono amps.

Google gave no result with '6N16 russian triode data'.

What is this tube?

Patrick Turner.

"Tom Schlangen" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi François,

New Wensor buys maybe 4% of what Reflektor produces...

You seem to know some figures ... just to get an idea, how
many tubes does a plant like Reflektor produce during a year?

Tom

Ruud Broens

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
: Google gave no result with '6N16 russian triode data'.
:
: What is this tube?
:
: Patrick Turner.
:
Always check the fabulous Duncan Monroe lookup machine
(thanks again , Duncan:-)
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php
Rudy

Gregg

Behold, Patrick Turner signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Fabio Berutti wrote:

No idea of present Reflektor production volumes, but it was - just like
all other Russian "brands" - a huge State-owned facility producing tons
of tubes from subminiature (*) up to 50-pounds industrial/broadcast
types. Still these days (I suppose) the "big" vacuum devices business
is related to these 25kW+ items.
Anyway, if You "google" here and there You'll find almost ten Russian
sites selling their NOS tubes (Reflektor, Svetlana, Voshkod, Ulyanovsk,
Novosibirsk... some do not have a "brand" name but the one of the city
where they were produced) at very sensible prices. Best deals are made
when You modify Your project in order to accept CCCP-only tubes.
6N1/6N2P were produced in huge lots, it's not difficult to get 'em for
2-3$.

Ciao

Fabio

From what I have seen the russians like to charge a fair old price for
air mailing the tubes to Oz.

Then one takes a risk anyway.

At least New Sensor tests the tubes in NY, and matches them, so its more
unlikely
to buy any duds.

(*) BTW, the Reflektor 6N16 subminiature double triode is a cheap and
VERY interesting tube for pre/phono amps.

Google gave no result with '6N16 russian triode data'.

What is this tube?

Duncanamps.com TDSL has the data.

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Ned Carlson

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:41:28 +0000, Mark S wrote:

Something I found interesting recently. While browsing through my Music
Direct catalog, I came upon their tube listing. They are advertizing
Svetlana tubes, Winged C logo & name on tubes, big as life. St. Petersburg
stuff, the real thing. Their distributor is PM of America. I wonder if
Mike (New Sensor) is fighting this, or has a loop hole been found. Mark

No, New Sensor settled with PM out of court. However, if
Music Direct is selling SED as Svetlana without any caveats,
(ie: "used to be called Svetlana") I think they'll
hear from Mike's lawyers pronto. No shortage of barristers
in NYC, methinks.

The Winged C logo remains property of the Russians.
Cyrillic C is equivalent to an English S.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL USA
www.triodeelectronics.com

Fabio Berutti

Please see http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...13/6/6N16B.pdf.
It is a sort of "zipped" ECC88. I suppose that being so small it should
show a very small microphony, and due to its tiny size it could make a phono
stage fit inside an already exixting (or designed) line preamp.

Ciao

Fabio

"Patrick Turner" ha scritto nel messaggio

Fabio Berutti wrote:

[...]

From what I have seen the russians like to charge a fair old price for