bsguidry

Default Using DJ Amplifiers in Home Theater

Does anyone here have experience using DJ amplifiers in their home
theater? Is it recommended?

Many DJ amplifiers seem to offer good bang for the buck. One thing I
notice is that few provide rms power ratings. Should I assume that
the power rating list is max power and that the actual rms is about
1/2 of that amount?

Also, if DJ amplifiers are a feasible approach, what is the best way
to connect them to RCA outputs? Do adapters exist for this?

Thanks,

bguidry
Robert Morein

"bsguidry" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone here have experience using DJ amplifiers in their home
theater? Is it recommended?

Many DJ amplifiers seem to offer good bang for the buck. One thing I
notice is that few provide rms power ratings. Should I assume that
the power rating list is max power and that the actual rms is about
1/2 of that amount?

Also, if DJ amplifiers are a feasible approach, what is the best way
to connect them to RCA outputs? Do adapters exist for this?

In my experience, they lack clarity compared to good home audio equipment.

Sound reinforcement equipment is intended to sound loud. The circuits are
simple.

Here it's important to distinguish with studio amps. There are many studio
amplifiers of exceptional quality.
Since both typically have balanced inputs, and many have fans, it can be
hard to tell the difference.
Hafler and Crown make very high quality amps.
And Crown amps are used in expensive sound reinforcement apps.

Arny Krueger

"bsguidry" wrote in message
om

Does anyone here have experience using DJ amplifiers in their home
theater?

Definitely.

Is it recommended?

It's recommended if you do it right, and are willing to make suitable
adaptations.

One thing to watch out for is the fact that many of these amps have fans.
Amps with fans generally aren't such a good idea if you keep them near your
listening location. They're not much of a problem if you keep your amps in a
closet or outside the listening room.

Many DJ amplifiers seem to offer good bang for the buck.

You still get what you pay for, but you're buying out of a more pragmatic
marketplace.

One thing I notice is that few provide rms power ratings.

You must be looking at junk, or not finding the right ratings lists.

Good brands to look at include QSC, Hafler, and Crown. If you surf the
vendor web sites, you'll find very detailed RMS power specs.

Should I assume that
the power rating list is max power and that the actual rms is about
1/2 of that amount?

Better yet, surf the web for the actual professional spec sheets. Forget
what you see in flyers and on tags in dealers.

Also, if DJ amplifiers are a feasible approach, what is the best way
to connect them to RCA outputs?

If you want to do it right, you make some custom cables or have them made.
If you want expeditious, but useful results, you just pick up some mono-1/4"
to RCA adaptors at Radio Shack.

Do adapters exist for this?

For sure. The Radio Shack adaptors are 2 for under $4, last time I looked.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"bsguidry" wrote in message
om

[...]

Take QSC off the list. It's a testament to Arny's hearing difficulties.
Othewise, I concur.

bsguidry

"Robert Morein" wrote in message ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"bsguidry" wrote in message
om

[...]

I've definitely consider QSC and Crown, however, I've not encountered
Hafler very often in my searching. Other brands that caught my
attention were Nady, Samson, Peavey, and Behringer. The fan noise
could be a problem as suggested. Since the concensus here seems to
indicate going with the more pricey Crown or Hafler amplifiers, I
think I will revert my focus back to obtaining a higher powerered
Carver amplifier. I'm currently using one rated at 175watts rms X 2
at 4 ohms. I love the look of the Carvers with the two analog power
meters on the front. I guess I'll keep scanning Ebay for good finds
on these. Thanks for all the feedback to this post and two my

bguidry

Arny Krueger

"bsguidry" wrote in message
om
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"bsguidry" wrote in message
om

[...]

difficulties. Otherwise, I concur.

Ask Morein about his power amp DBTs. Then take a few of mine by downloading
files from http://www.pcabx.com/product/amplifiers/index.htm . BTW you can
hear audible differences between amps with some of these files, but the
test circumstances will be instructive.

I've definitely consider QSC and Crown, however, I've not encountered
Hafler very often in my searching.

One sees Haflers in a lot of control and mastering rooms, since we're
talking pro audio.

Other brands that caught my
attention were Nady, Samson, Peavey, and Behringer.

Other than Peavey, you're talking bottom-feeder specials. Nevertheless there
are some new Behringers (said to be essentially QSC clones, who'd a
figured?) that have more than a few people excited.

The fan noise
could be a problem as suggested. Since the consensus here seems to
indicate going with the more pricey Crown or Hafler amplifiers, I
think I will revert my focus back to obtaining a higher powerered
Carver amplifier.

Your typical Crown, QSC, or Hafler would probably bury a Carver when it
comes to difficult loads.

I'm currently using one rated at 175watts rms X 2 at 4 ohms.

Consider the fact that your typical Crown, QSC or Hafler has 4-ohm bridged
ratings. That correspond to a 2 ohm load.

I love the look of the Carvers with the two analog power
meters on the front.

I'd trade a really sensitive, accurate clipping light for fancy meters in a
heart beat.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Since the consensus here seems to
indicate going with the more pricey Crown or Hafler
amplifiers, I think I will revert my focus back to
obtaining a higher powerered Carver amplifier.

Your typical Crown, QSC, or Hafler would probably
bury a Carver when it comes to difficult loads.

"would probably"... how would you know, mr.
no-empirical-experiences? Krell, Levinson and others
could be said to “bury” your biased picks, too.

I'm currently using one rated at 175watts rms X 2 at 4 ohms.

Consider the fact that your typical Crown, QSC or Hafler has
4-ohm bridged ratings. That correspond to a 2 ohm load.

Why is that relevant (bridging) to the poster’s
application/needs? RMS load rating is not
the major determinant in high fidelity reproduction.
It is only one factor of many to consider.

I love the look of the Carvers with the two analog power
meters on the front.

I'd trade a really sensitive, accurate clipping light for fancy
meters in a heart beat.

Quack, quack, quack...

Robert Morein

Default Hafler

"bsguidry" wrote in message
om...
[snip]
, or not finding the right ratings lists.

Good brands to look at include QSC, Hafler, and Crown. If you surf the
vendor web sites, you'll find very detailed RMS power specs.

Take QSC off the list. It's a testament to Arny's hearing difficulties.
Othewise, I concur.

I've definitely consider QSC and Crown, however, I've not encountered
Hafler very often in my searching.

David Hafler invented the Ultralinear tube circuit, which firmly enshrines
him in the audio pantheon of greats. He became chief engineer of Dynaco, and
went on to start Hafler. His second product was the DH-200, the world's
first MOSFET audio amplifier. At the time, this amp was regarded as a
price/performance breakthrough. Unassuming in appearance, it has massive
heatsinks with very plain metalwork. It was followed by some extremely good
preamps, and more MOSFET amps, some of which had a new circuit, the
Excelinear.

MOSFET amps are the most durable of all solid state amplifiers. They can
drive any load without output damage, and if you're reasonably lucky, they
will survive a dead short. The MOSFET transistor is now ubiquitous in power
switching applications because of it's ruggedness.

The sound of the traditional MOSFET circuit has both followers and
detractors, to which I add my personal observation that they complement
metal dome tweeters very well, but are not as good with fabric types.
Another MOSFET circuit developed by Jim Strickland, founder of Acoustat,
provides a different kind of sound that compliments fabric tweeters. I use
both types of amplifiers in my systems, depending upon the speakers they
match. At the time of it's introduction, the Acoustat TNT-200 was featured
on the cover of Audio Magazine, and it was regarded by many, at that time,
as raising the bar for clarity and detail in reproduction.

When Rockford bought Hafler and Acoustat, they chose -- unfortunately, in my
opinion, to preserve only one amplifier technology. Strickland's original
design was hardened -- the original design had vulnerabilities that had
nothing to do with output load -- and launched the 9000 series, and the P
series professional amps. These are astonishingly small, extremely high
quality amplifiers that are far tougher than the typical professional unit.
Because they use MOSFETs, they have no relays or fuses, and in my opinion,
have MUCH higher fidelity than the QSC units. Both types of Haflers are
common in studios, the XL-600 being one of t he most prized units. I have a
P3000.

Every once in a while, I find something really remarkable, or at least
remarkable for the price. I also use the Parasound HCA-2200ii bipolar amp. I
have found the Yamaha bipolar M series to have merit, though the build
quality is not in the class of an American amplifier. Nelson Pass's
Threshold amplifiers can be found in some Nakamichi receivers, and are quite
a pleasant surprise. B&K amplifiers use the traditional MOSFET circuit, with
exceptional build quality. I do not particularly enjoy ADCOM MOSFET amps,
though the build quality is very high.

I found the sound of Rotel, touted by various audio magazines, to be
disappointingly shrill.

The QSC is muddy. It's performance is a throwback to the bipolar amplifiers
of the late 70's and early 80's.

Arny Krueger

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Since the consensus here seems to
indicate going with the more pricey Crown or Hafler
amplifiers, I think I will revert my focus back to
obtaining a higher powerered Carver amplifier.

Your typical Crown, QSC, or Hafler would probably
bury a Carver when it comes to difficult loads.

"would probably"... how would you know, Mr. no-empirical-experiences?

Given the rather conspicious reliable evidence that I've got considerable
emperical experience with these and many other amps, one is tempted to ask
what the heck are you ranting about, Powell?

Krell, Levinson and others
could be said to "bury" your biased picks, too.

True, there's no theoretical limit to how much an amp can be underrated.

I'm currently using one rated at 175watts rms X 2 at 4 ohms.

Consider the fact that your typical Crown, QSC or Hafler has
4-ohm bridged ratings. That correspond to a 2 ohm load.

Why is that relevant (bridging) to the poster's
application/needs?

See former comments about "difficult loads" and comment just above about "2
ohm load".

RMS load rating is not
the major determinant in high fidelity reproduction.

So Powell, does that mean that your main system with speakers has power amps
rated at 100 milliwatts, RMS? Of course not. There's at least a loose
relationship between RMS power ratings and ability to drive speakers to
useful volume levels. In fact there's no other spec that is vastly
different, and more relevant.

It is only one factor of many to consider.

Name a commonly-used amplifier spec that is vastly different and also a
better predictor of an amps ability to drive speakers to satisfying levels.

I love the look of the Carvers with the two analog power
meters on the front.

I'd trade a really sensitive, accurate clipping light for fancy
meters in a heart beat.

Quack, quack, quack...

So Powell, does that mean that given the chance, you took the fancy meters
that impress visiting-firemen and small children?

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

The QSC is muddy. It's performance is a throwback to the bipolar
amplifiers of the late 70's and early 80's.

Thus says a guy who would apparently die ignorant and inexperienced rather
than do a level-matched, time-synched bias-controlled listening test.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

The QSC is muddy. It's performance is a throwback to the bipolar
amplifiers of the late 70's and early 80's.

Thus says a guy who would apparently die ignorant and inexperienced rather
than do a level-matched, time-synched bias-controlled listening test.

Thusw says an engineer who has questionable hearing.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

The QSC is muddy. It's performance is a throwback to the bipolar
amplifiers of the late 70's and early 80's.

Thus says a guy who would apparently die ignorant and inexperienced
rather than do a level-matched, time-synched bias-controlled
listening test.

Thusw says an engineer who has questionable hearing.

Tell us why your hearing is unimpeachible, Morein.