Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Default Building a new shortwave tube radio

With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

That means no regens, no DC bull****, and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too. I would
use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.

I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

Any other comments?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
David Barts David Barts is offline

My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

On Nov 11, 12:04*am, David Barts
wrote:
My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.

I already have a R-390, two Hammarlunds and a Racal....I wanted to
manufacture something. Or at least think about it.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 11, 4:52*pm, wrote:
*With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

Most people who are into radio might think you are irrational, because
good short wave reception with tubes has been done by major
manufacturers of the past rather better than you can ever imagine to
achieve, unless you have far greater intelligence than their leading
chief designers wo passed lots of exams and universities and had
passed the test of being jolly good fellows in the real world of
private enterprise employment and marketing activities with the now
mentioned Racal, and Hammlund, Hallicrafters et all, just to name a
few.

*That means no regens, no DC bull****,

Regenerative boost I can understand, but "DC bull****" Such a term
does not appear in any electronic books written prior to 1960 when
tubed radio was regarded as the best mature technology for SW
reception.

and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

You must be dreamin'. Its not clear at all what you want. Do you wanna
make a radio from scratch, or do ya wanna buy a kit made by some
sucker who is likely to find he'll sell 2 kits over 10 years, and get
a lousy price from YOU?

If ya wanna build just ONE HF receiver for you only, then there's
plenty of old books on making radios, just follow what you read in the
books, de-bug all what you build, as all the manufacturers have done
before you.
What happens first though? Do you die in ten years leaving behind a
mess to clean up and no working radio, or you get a working radio in 3
months, fairly well perfected, and live for 9 years and 9 mths to
enjoy it?

*It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too.

Ah, just WHO is going to clone anything from the past and make any
money?

use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

Your dreamin again. Its totally stupid to expect anyone might sell
thousands of NEW made copies of 1960 SW radios sets without conducting
a thorough market feasibility study. The COMPETION for what you
propose now has become so overwhelming that nobody in their right mind
would consider having say 10,000 new 6BA6, 6BE6 etc manufactured for a
production run of thousands of SW sets.

Before asking us silly questions, have you :-
1. Learnt all about SW tube radio, 2. Drawn up a probable, or
provisional parts list, 3. spent weeks chasing quotes for parts
exactly as yo specifiy, 4, Generally put in a whole lot of work so far
without relying on any of us, who, IMHO, will conclude you are on a
goose chase.

*I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.

Well of course, but you'll die when you work out the cost of
production for your project is 100 times what people now pay for SW
reception with a whole pile of features you'll probably not want to
include.

*I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

*The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

All those features have already been well sorted out by old makers.

But there was a magazine called Electronics Australia which has now
been swallowed up by 'Silicon Chip' but they have a CD with the old
magazines monthly output from 1939 to 1965.
http://shop.siliconchip.com.au/radio...ch-1965-1.html

Perhaps within that magazine you'll find full articles about building
good SW radios with tubes which were second to none.

Hardly any of the parts used are now available, but hey, yo issa
dreamer, and you'll just dream them all up.
Reality is that you might spend years building such a set, at a
glacial rate of 1 tube stage per 3 months. My bet is that of the maybe
200 blokes who attempted to build the radios which are so well
described in the magazine, maybe 10 finished a set to a respectable
standard. Magazines became viable, because dreamers bought them.
Mostly do-little nerds as I recall. What's so rivettingly interesting
about SW reception? What form of media entertainament is worth
listening to on SW? What is available on SW which ain't available
elsewhere, apart from a pile of noise, poor audio, whistles, fade
outs, and old amateur blokes droning on and on about their latest
hospital operations? New York police maybe?

I regularly restore old radios. Last job was a 1947 Healing floor
standing 5 band AM radio for the fashionable Bling-Blang generation of
1947, ie, my parents generation. It has a 6J8 mixer plus 6U7 IF, and
is chockoblock with coils and special wafer switches but it does give
remarkably good reception of Radio America of China Calling even in
daytime, with a long wire antenna taken out to a nearby tree. Anyway,
I put in about 130 hours fixin up the old banger, and the one section
I didn't alter at all was the 3 band SW section. Not much alignment
was needed to maximise performance. Local MW was changed to ferrite
rod antenna replacing the horrible high impedance RF input tranny
which worked fine before the present which is riddled with hum
imposing itself on many incoming signals in the electro static portion
of the electromagnetic waves. The ferrite rod reacts to the magnetic
part of the incoming wave which is not affected by compact fluorescent
lamps et all.

But now we have local Digital Radio Broadcasting now all based on
frequencies up around 250Mhz. The local Australian Broadcasting
Commission, or ABC, has just begun trials here for broadcasting of all
they have on MW, 2 stations, and all they have on FM, another 2
stations, on digital. Don't ask me how DAB works. I can't find any
schematics of concise explanations.

So, listeners who have loved their old tubed radio set because it
carried the MW local stations now don't need to use their tubed set,
and can access the old AM station program noise free and with full
audio BW with hi-fi specs from their tiny little box sets for DAB.

Now sometimes ppl with radios capable of SW might try surfing the
bands, but now DAB is here ppl won't be able to surf these SW bands,
but then who ever did ?

There were 101 different ideas put forward for providing a decent
tubed SW radio which never saw commercial development and production,
such as the early synchrodyne. The superhet was deemed to be the best.
Racal had 3 mixers, and was remarkably stable for an old banger but
now with digtally generated oscillator F and all that chipery stuff
and computer controlled stuff, stablity is far better now. Wanna copy
a Yeasu?

If I wanted to build a 6 band SW radio now I think I might have 6 j-
fet RF amp stages well controlled by AVC, then 6 j-fets for
oscillators, and thus not need a special made bandswitch, except some
generic easy to buy wafer switch from Farnells with 6 positions. Mixer
could be one of many options, maybe more than one, to minimise
switching of the IF output. With such cheap small devices with high gm
and low noise, the cost is far less than a complex switch and just two
tubes to work on all bands. But all this is so easy to say, and such
things are easier said than done, and succes relies on YOU. And there
are very few ppl here who are heavily into farnarkling with HF radios,
so there are not many brains here to be picked, or if you do try,
you'll probably get 101 suggestions all requiring maybe years to
perfect and after that you still can't equal the best old sets.
I heard about a bloke who built a CD player using just generic opamps.
It took so long......

Any other comments?

But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

I can't imagine that any rational survivalist would waste power running
tubed electronics. I guess you could hype the EMP issue, but even that can
be handled better with SS.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Dave is offline

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:52:48 -0800, rrusston wrote:
the bandswitch and coils from
some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set,

Anyone who'd use the old Halli bandswitch has never had to fix a Halli
bandswitch.

The trouble with valve radios is they use lots of electricity.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

SS sets are cheap and easily obtainable.

Even a Happy Harry Home-owner type can cheaply build a
small Faraday cage to keep one in, if anticipating an EMP.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

You'd better invest in a generator and a supply of petrol, too...

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

Your friends are all hoplophobes?

Why would anyone "flip out" when seeing a firearm?
Hell, I have one in my pocket right now, and I can see
two more from where I'm sitting. They don't look all
that spooky to me.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Got guns?

Lord Valve
American - so far

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

Other states are currently debating this provision.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

On 11/11/11 24:15 , wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:04 am, David
wrote:
My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.

I already have a R-390, two Hammarlunds and a Racal....I wanted to
manufacture something. Or at least think about it.

Certainly worth thinking about.

Maybe worth doing. But consider:

Tubes are getting harder to come buy. Not that they can't be had.
And after an EMP, they're likely to be as available as working SS
devices. But there are inherent issues with Tubes. One is that they
use a LOT of precious energy, that in a survival mode situation is
best conserved for other applications, or longer listening. Another
is that voltages are much higher than those that can be recovered
after or during a crisis with ease. Low voltage, low current devices
are going to be more desirable when energy is in short supply.

But, more importantly, tube receivers aren't necessarily less
prone to damage by EMP than SS receivers. In fact, there is
empirical evidence to suggest that SS receivers can be made to
survive an EMP where a tube receiver will not.

Your best options, then, would include building a reasonably high
performance receiver with readily available common parts, and take
measures, such as a Faraday cage, and effective grounding/input
protection measures, to render your station if not immune, then more
resistant to stray or induced hostile voltages.

Now, you have a practical, and manufacturable, product.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, wrote:

With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

But since you never specify why it should use tubes, you sound like a
kook.

I assume you are thinking tubes so they won't be damaged by EMP. But you
have to consider if that's a real reality, or some fantasy. There are
loads of reasons why someone might want to be prepared, without coming
close to a nuclear blast. But those other reasons might much rather have
a battery operated radio rather than the high current drain of tubes.

I can stockpile batteries for a solid state shortwave receiver, I can keep
some larger batteries on hand as an external supply, I could run a low
current receiver off a solar panel, there are lots of options. But once
you start drawing current to heat those tube filaments, you are really
stuck. Yes, you can use an inverter off a car battery, but then have to
keep charging the battery. Note that in the old days, running tube
equipment in the car, you mostly had the car running, so there was current
coming from the alternator, rather than just relying on the battery.

That means no regens, no DC bull****, and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

Why? You really havent' specified what you want, you are then jumping
into fine details. For emergencies, it may be a really useful choice. But
you are being wishy washy in your criteria, so who knows. A regen is
lousy for regular reception at this point in time.

No, you don't want a direct conversion receiver, since those are best for
CW and SSB, not great for straight AM (which presumably is your target).
But once can get pretty fancy with DC receivers, even including proper
reception of AM. It will get more complicated, but proper design requires
looking at multiple possibilities, and since every design will be a
tradeoff, you need to take off your blinders and look at possibilities
before deciding something is more suitable.

Note that the regen is "direct conversion", at least once you kick it into
oscillation. And there were various designs of "direct conversion" in the
earlier days of radio, though not called "direct conversion". Even in
1961, there was a tube based direct conversion receiver in QST.

The early wave of direct conversion solid state receivers often
compromised. They'd be direct conversion on one band (or maybe not at
all) and then a converter ahead of it, which made it a superheterodyne
receiver, albeit with no IF selectivity. There are some points in that
favor.

Indeed, many a good receiver was made with a single conversion receiver
tuning a fixed band, and then converters ahead of it (lots of homebrew
receivers, but also classics like the Collins receivers). That meant the
local oscillator could run at a low and fixed frequency, rather than a
wide segment (traditional single conversion to 455KHz receivers had about
a 2:1 tuning range on each band), so you can have good calibration, and
good tuning, the oscillator running at a low frequency and not needing to
be switched in frequency from band to band (problems in that alone). The
problem was that it meant a crystal for every segment you wanted to tune
(got around initially by choosing which segments, nobody says you have to
have all 30Mhz of the shortwave band), though later synthesizers fixed
that. Of course, there was also the Wadley loop that sort of synthesized
the first oscillator, at the cost of an extra mixer and complicated
circuitry.

For that matter, one popular method of getting a shortwaver receiver was
to get a car radio (they often had better selectivity, and better image
rejection along with better sensitivity, plus good tuning) and put a
converter or converters ahead of it, getting double conversion. Leave the
bulk of the construction to the car radio manufacturers and just build the
converter, a relatively simple task. This is now harder if you can't find
a car radio with analog tuning, since the 10KHz steps of a synthesized car
radio is not the 5KHz that shortwave broadcasters use (and even 5KHz is
too wide for the ham bands).

Note also that in the thirties there were the "supergainers", regen
receivers with converters ahead of them (or looked at differently,
superhets with regen receivers as the IF), a fusion that provided some
advantages. Even in the solid state era you'd see those in the ham
magazines, sometimes people even putting crystal filters before the regen
detector.

No plug in coils? Then again you haven't stated your prime criteria (no
plug in coils in not criteria, it's the result of some criteria you
haven't specified. In the old days, the bandswitch often was a key
problem in a multiband radio. It had to switch LC circuits at
increasingly high frequencies. The switch often got in the way, and
physical layout was determined by the bandswitch (though some companies
bult the bandswitch for the receiver, so the layout could be better).
Coils have a simplicity, though of course that doesn't include fast
bandswitching. The HRO used plug in coils right up till the point of
solid state, and many thought that line was a great receiver. All those
recievers with converters ahead of them meant one could plug in a
converter per band, rather than switch LC circuits. More expensive, but
if you use transistors the solid state devices dont' add much to the cost,
unlike tubes that were costly and bulky.

Your fantasy designing has overlooked the home builder's need to align the
receiver. Fixated on the way things used to be, you havent' considered
that if you spend the money differently, it may make user alignment
simpler.

It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too. I would
use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

YOu want to construct a fifty year old receiver. There are virtually no
off the shelf parts left for those. There aren't shelfs or local radio
stores to sell those parts.

You havne't made the tradeoff between old and new. That crummy Eton hand
held shortwave receiver I got at a garage sale in September for 2.00 is no
better than the junk solid state Hallicrafters S-120A receiver I spent $80
for in the summer of 1971. But, it uses an IC to provide a frequency
counter, which means one can actually have good frequency readout, without
all kinds of expensive dials and calibration. The IC is dirt cheap, the
Eddystone dial if it was still being made today would be terribly
expensive. The dial seems simpler, but this is a case of complication
making the overall design far simpler. Oddly, that hand held Eton radio
does take more advantage of having a frequency counter on board, they
break up the tuning into smaller segments (since they don't have to
calibrate a dial, or provide space for a whole bunch of bands, why not?)
which means the simple tuning pot is not too obnoxious.

I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.
I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

A solid state receiver would run off a battery, and the built in supply
wouldn't be a burden when unused. If you're really stuck with tubes, why
not get original, wind your own transformer, then have the AC coming from
the wall turned into DC and an oscillator that feeds the transformer.
Running at a higher frequency, the transformer can be smaller. But, done
right, you can have another oscillator that runs off 12vdc, and that feeds
a diffeent winding of the transformer, so you've got your dual mode power
supply without making two supplies. You haven't throught this through, you
haven't done nearly enough wide thinking. You are just trying to
duplicate the past, without any great reason for it.

The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

Your bias is there. For at least fifty years one could get good
selectivity in the shortwave frequencies, initially down around 2Mhz but
then 9MHz became kind of standard. Even tube receivers were built with
such "high" IFs. Right away you get rid of the problem of image
rejection, with such a high IF the front end selectivity is lessened
(especially for the higher bands). Alignment is simplified, indeed a
single conversion receiver with a 9Mhz IF no longer has to gang the local
oscillator tuning with the front end tuning, there's no longer a problem
of an image 910KHz away (I've seen reviews for single conversion 455KHz
low end receivers from the old days, I remember one said "we couldnt' tell
which was the image and which was the real signal, they were of equal
strength"). You lose some segment around the IF frequency, but chosen
properly you won't miss much. Of course, 9MHz IF filters are more
expensive than 455KHz ceramic filters (which is what many receivers use),
which can then be a problem if you want multiple bandwidths. One way to
get around that is to go with a high IF and then a low IF, though not
without tradeoffs. Note that mechanical filters are not inexpensive, that
is only the case if one finds one on the used or surplus market. Crystal
filters at 455KHz were commonly single crystals, a good peak but not so
great skirt selectivity, and they'd provide multiple bandwidths by loading
the crystal down. One might as well go with a higher IF and make ladder
crystal filters, one for SSB and another for AM.

Or put a phasing system at 9MHz, with a relatively wide (and cheap)
crystal filter ahead of it (10.7MHz may then be better, it's not a common
frequency for narrow bandwidth filters but is common for narrow FM
bandwidth filters). A good phasing system will knock out the unwanted
sideband, and audio selectivity will be effective. Done properly, it can
be synchronized to the incoming signal for AM reception.

Or use a high IF and then 455KHz. This has an advantage that you can add
some tuning to the second conversion oscillator, making it fine tuning.
Some portable shortwave receivers used this scheme before the move to
higher first IFs. Indeed, with a synthesized oscillator (well not if you
still want tubes), broad steps make it simpler to design and build, and
having a fine tuning on the second conversion oscillator then fills in
between steps.

the point? A practical receiver for now is different from the nostalgia
of the old days. Simple to build may mean a simple receiver, or it may
mean adding complication in order for the end builder to have little
problem assemblying it or aligning it. Adding extra stages may add cost,
but may some other point simpler.

And don't assume single conversion to 455KHz receivers were the ultimate
in design. They weren't, they were tradeoffs and some got around problems
by making them more complicated, others lived with the problems.

Michael

Any other comments?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
m II m II is offline

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith[_5_] John Smith[_5_] is offline

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, why would anyone build a survival set whose filaments would burn
much more power than a VERY high end transistor set? You plan on
hauling around sq yards of solar cells to power that rig?

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 11, 11:29*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

Oh, I didn't think of that. If WW3 breaks out, all arses will have
departed, because on hearing about the beginning of WW3 off the
Internet, everyone will bend down to kiss their arse goodbye, and
arses will depart, bye-bye, and no need for toilets or food any
more.

But "survivalist" resonated exuberantly in my mind because I'm 64, and
the foppish Beatles used to sing a song "will ya still lerve me when
I'm 64?". I'm 64. I know the answer, forbidden to be sung about by
anyone, and its NO, no one at all will lerve ya when your'e 64, so
that means all that's left is survival against a rotten horrible
marauding mob of young upstarts hell bent on invading and pillaging
and burying alive all that my father's generation established, and
they all **** a lot while I'm not allowed to 'av one, well, not for
free, and mean while this horrible lot are decimating the remaining
species across the planet, and all trying to build absurdly large
mansionettes, while all sending huge quantites of CO2 skywards which
will ruin the weather, and exacerbate their self generated future
difficulties.

One "survivavlist" I know had two sound systems I serviced, a Quad-II
with early Whardale LS, and a Leak system. Once inside the door of his
house, one entered the lounge-room, and it was all exactly as it was
in 1955, with a 1956 newspaper on the coffee table screaming headlines
"SUEZ BOMBED". 1956 was a time when the rot of modernity really got a
toe past the front door of most ppl, and rock and roll was seen as
just as bad as WW3.

So, this survivalist guy just saw no reason to mentally proceed past
1956. He worked his way up to being chief conserverator at the
Australian Sound and Film Archives where much of the audio-visual
media of the past ends up to be converted to digital files for future
generations to enjoy, and for old blokes to gloat over.

I humbly seek approval and aknowledgement that I know what
"survivalist" means, and I can also back up mu claim because I know
now that the older I get, the betta I was, and I have the recently
created medical and dental records to prove it.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

Professionals who know about old Racals and so on are just about all
dead now.
But to copy a Racal so you could provide a kit would be financial
suicide.

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Well, lotsa Mr Para Noids getting around on the Internet; they all
broadcast their ideas, using a false nickname, and wouldn't dare use
the name given to them by their parents.

So paranoidism isn't any big deal.

Bet ya don't go out to night clubs at 2AM any more to hunt for hot
crumpet. Too many arsoles will happily mug you. Paranoidism prevents
you wandering like a lost old dog than the young bitches will laugh
at. Survivalism has you staying at home.

But bicycles are safe during the day.

Patrick Turner.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, *N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 3:45*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

* *Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

* *Other states are currently debating this provision.

How about that. I guess the Taxation and Police authorities might like
to know how and where ppl spend their cash.

But I heard that since 911, hundreds of huge and mainly hidden
buildings housing about 2 million workers across the USA have been
quietly built and operate to filter all email traffic and phone
traffic to detect terrorists and possibly anyone other selectable
target, like people trading in OLD STUFF like old radios which consume
the same amount of electricity to run an air con unit, or 500 i-pods.
These spying centers suck in digital data like huge vacuum cleaners,
then apply a filter for key words. One wonders if such centers could
detect the next intended school shooting or Oklahoma Bombing.
The so called BLACK ECONOMY, ie, the flow of cash which can't be
traced and hence isn't taxed is one of the big reasons to try to
outlaw cash, and thus have everyone pay the transaction cost to a 3rd
party by means of the credit card. But here in Oz, cash is still
widely used, and everyone I know does not need to be told to bring
cash when paying me peanut wages for radio repairs. I explain to ppl
that average wages are 60 grand a year now, ie, $1,300 a week for the
46 weeks out of 52 ppl actually work, ie, $32.50c per hour of 40 hrs a
week.
(( Ppl get to "administer" this amount, then have to pay $10 income
tax and maybe 25 other various bribes to banks for mortage payments
and GST, and company profits etc, etc, etc, before keeping $3.25 to
buy bananas to give the banana farmer a similar amount via the system
of banana distribution so he ends up with 10c per banana. Its all far
more complex than a company boss or union rep is willing to
describe )). But a radio might take 120 hrs to fix right, and maybe I
get $600, after giving them a discount of $3,300 off the wages of
$3,900 which should be paid for 120 hours of work. Cash will be around
for awhile yet, but in 20 years perhaps goverments will try to save
money by not printing it. I'll be dead as the species of cash becomes
extinct like the lions, tigers, and elephants, and thousands of lesser
known species. Trouble may come if a government values a radio repair
transaction as being worth say $3,900 instead of $600, and taxes
people on the same rate as those earning average weekly earnings to
discourage anyone offering discounts to compete, or to survive. All
sorts of BS is possible, but so far, afaik, cash is still extremely
popular here. But in 1983, if someone wanted to extend their house,
all work valued above $10,000 had to be "declared" to prevent ppl
hiding un-seen cash income in the form of house improvements. Guess
what. Ppl just did little bits of improvements at a time and still
managed to get their house extensions approved by the govt
authorities. Bundles of notes went out of one pocket and into another
one. But in Greece, there is mastery of the cash economy, and they
have many other devious ways of keeping NOSY PARKER GOVT out of
business, and as a result, you see the mess Greece is in. Two sides to
every story.
Maybe another Great Depression might just happen. The Financial System
BEAST of the world survives because other ppl have a hand in YOUR
pocket whether you like it or not. The Beast extracts a steady trickle
of bucks to make credit flow. The trickle is like food, a small
percentage of body weight needs to be consumed by the Beast each day
to survive and if the trickle feed stops, the Beast gets very sick
indeed, thus giving everyone the ****s in a big way. Departments of
taxation and Criminal control departments of governments around the
world are part of the Beast. Beastly health is mostly desirable, but
colly wobbles can now be heard.

And there is a gigantic building here worth a billion or two being
built at high speed for ASIO, the Oz branch of CIA equivalent, right
here in town. Maybe it'll have about 3,000 ppl employed to keep a
watch on what everyone else is doing, saying, typing, and sending, and
its only "one small step" to knowing what everyone is thinking, and a
"giant leap for mankind" to control thinking.

From what I see, everyone wants a cheap deal and they don't care about
your wages, just their own.
Ppl don't care about the environment of anyone or anything living more
than 5km away from themselves.
Most ppl don't really mind being spied on.
And many will happily spy on everyone else.
Its going on, and people ain't rioting in the streets about it.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/11/11 17:38 , Patrick Turner wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:45 am, "D. Peter wrote:
On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

Other states are currently debating this provision.

How about that. I guess the Taxation and Police authorities might like
to know how and where ppl spend their cash.

Actually, it's more sinister than that.

[...]

From what I see, everyone wants a cheap deal and they don't care about
your wages, just their own.
Ppl don't care about the environment of anyone or anything living more
than 5km away from themselves.
Most ppl don't really mind being spied on.
And many will happily spy on everyone else.
Its going on, and people ain't rioting in the streets about it.

They will. About 2 hours after it's too late.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith[_5_] John Smith[_5_] is offline

On 11/11/2011 9:34 AM, m II wrote:

ROFLOL ... that is funny ...

But then, quite suddenly, you realize that the world is full of these
irrational imbeciles who really believe this stuff and would vote or
demand it "in."

The only happy point about our civilization facing the possibility of
annihilating itself is the fact it would take these *******s to a place
where they can no longer harm themselves or others ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 5:07*am, John Smith wrote:
On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

JS- Hide quoted text -

The OP may not be hauling mobile tube stuff anywhere. But best SW
reception is at night, when the sun don't shine, and the wind hardly
blows much. But many ppl here have bought solar photo-voltaic systems
for the house roof and they sell the excess power back to the main
supplier of the Grid. This pays for the electricity used at other
times. But authorities worked out this payment for locally generated
power was a subsidy paid by those without solar, and a loss and big
****fights over money occurred soon after solar panel uptake went way
over what was expected. Encouraging solar was regarded as part of the
"Being seen to be doing something Green and Good" and therefore
getting votes, while in reality increasing the cost of electricity,
and making SFA difference to overall CO2 emissions. So pay back rates
ahve plummeted, and solar companies have gone broke, as only the rich
can afford to pay for solar panels, let alone the batteries needed for
use of power at night. Country dwellers can get by on low power of
solar and batteries if they are careful and have low power everything,
use batteries, cook on wood fire, heat water with wood stove, use gas
maybe etc, but tube audio or radio is about out of the question,
unless you use the low filament current tubes meant for portable
radios so popular between 1935 and 1955. They would be very easy to
rum from a few batteries,
only 8 x 12V car batteries are needed for a B+ of 90Vdc, and its
simple to arrange low voltage DC batteries for directly heated
cathodes which use very little current. But such "portable tubes" are
not being made now.

Plenty of good solid state SW radios operating on very low power are
to be had. Ppl can then focus on antennas if they want good reception.
The receiver performance is basically solved, but after WW3, if you
survive, a good antenna to pick up other survivors transmitting with
low power might be handy. This assumes WW3 will send the world back to
about where it was in 1925, with maybe 2 billion survivors with
accelerated death rates, and ever declining technical production
ability for non essentials. Essentials like ammunition, bows and
arrows will be manufactured.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 11, 8:57*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 11/11/11 24:15 , wrote:

On Nov 11, 12:04 am, David
wrote:
[...]

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. -store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/11/2011 10:10 PM, RHF wrote:

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. -store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF
.

Satellites are withstanding these on an almost daily basis, for years,
if not decades ... doesn't seem to be a real problem anymore ...
however, laying hands to that technology might be a bit of a different
story ... as, while one nation might wants its' own satellites hardened,
it certainly doesn't want the enemies ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

On Nov 12, 2:44*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 11/11/2011 10:10 PM, RHF wrote:

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. *-store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF
* .

Satellites are withstanding these on an almost daily basis, for years,
if not decades ... doesn't seem to be a real problem anymore ...
however, laying hands to that technology might be a bit of a different
story ... as, while one nation might wants its' own satellites hardened,
it certainly doesn't want the enemies ...

Regards,
JS

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes .
That's the reality .
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann[_2_] Brenda Ann[_2_] is offline

wrote in message

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes .
That's the reality .

All satellites still use these for output:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

wrote in ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

All satellites still use these for output:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

Oh,sorry. But this may be a miniature tube for microwave frequencies .
Where do they obtain high voltages - it must be smps type . Solar
panels??
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/12/2011 5:55 PM, Brenda Ann wrote:

wrote in message

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes .
That's the reality .

All satellites still use these for output:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

Fact of the matter is, you don't need tubes in space, you already have a
much better vacuum than can ever be created on earth ... you simply need
the elements ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith[_5_] John Smith[_5_] is offline

On 11/12/2011 6:59 PM, wrote:
On Nov 12, 8:55 pm, "Brenda
wrote:
wrote in ...

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes .
That's the reality .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

All satellites still use these for output:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

Oh,sorry. But this may be a miniature tube for microwave frequencies .
Where do they obtain high voltages - it must be smps type . Solar
panels??

NASA knows about voltage converters ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/12/2011 11:12 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:24:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:44 pm, John wrote:
On 11/11/2011 10:10 PM, RHF wrote:

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. -store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF
.

Satellites are withstanding these on an almost daily basis, for years,
if not decades ... doesn't seem to be a real problem anymore ...
however, laying hands to that technology might be a bit of a different
story ... as, while one nation might wants its' own satellites hardened,
it certainly doesn't want the enemies ...

Regards,
JS

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes .
That's the reality .

Dream on. Just about every satellite in the sky uses vacuum tubes. The
TWT (travelling wave tube) is still the way to generate high, reliable
power for space-borne transmitters.

They would be fools to attempt to boost the weight and fragility of
vacuum tubes into space, if they have any other alternative ... high
power is easily handled with the modern transistors ... the energy
requirements of the heaters is also another no-go ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 2:44 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Energy requirements are not a problem, and neither is G-loading on
takeoff. You are inventing problems where none need exist. TWTs are
mega-reliable devices with a very predictable life curve.

It is much more important to know exactly how long and how well your
satellite is going to work than to hope to get longer by using a
technology that might last longer, but will more probably die
unexpectedly when struck by a cosmic ray burst.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

It is much more important to know exactly how long and how well your
satellite is going to work than to hope to get longer by using a
technology that might last longer, but will more probably die
unexpectedly when struck by a cosmic ray burst.

Sometimes you can not predict how long a satellite will be used. A friend of
mine worked on a civilian satellite for a defense contractor and just before
the division was sold off, cleaned out any old documents and files they had
on it.

Since the satellite he had worked on was way past its expected life (but still
in use), the contracts had long expired, the work was not classified and a
new improved one was due to be launched in a few days, he was told
to dump it all.

A few days later, the booster exploded on the pad, and the replacement
was destroyed.

The sattelite was kept running for many years, although there were no
documents on what to do or how it was built.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Dave is offline

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:24:02 -0800, arthrnyork wrote:

As far as I know- none of the satellites are using vacuum tubes . That's
the reality .

Almost all of them use TWTAs, a form of vacuum tube, for their final
downlink amplifiers.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Dave is offline

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:39:03 +0000, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

[...]

What good is a diagram if the unit is 24,000 miles in the air?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

[...]

It had better *not* be in the air... ;-)

Besides - I saw mention upthread of using the ambient
vacuum with just the tube elements, rather than a typical
evacuated glass (or other material) enclosure...is the
vacuum in geosynchronous orbit really hard enough?
It would seem to me that there are probably plenty of
gas molecules floating around at that height, even if
it would still qualify as a "soft" vacuum. Anybody?

Lord Valve

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:38:28 -0700, Lord Valve
wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

For all sorts of other reasons, standard enclosed tubes are used. Main
reasons are first to contain the electrons so other metalwork doesn't
get involved, and second to maintain the correct physical positioning.
The helix is of very fine tolerance in both pitch and positioning.
Space is certainly hard enough, but the environment around a satellite
is frequently not space, but a diffuse cloud of exhaust gas which
would extinguish a TWT immediately.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

Ah. Good point!

Satellites do indeed need to use propellant of some sort
to keep in position; I didn't think of that at all. And it
would seem that even if the ambient vacuum were
hard enough, conventional construction of the TWT
would be needed to keep contaminants out of it during
the satellite assembly process down on Terra firma.
But I must admit, the idea of using ambient vacuum
tickles my fancy a bit. ;-)

Lord Valve

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 2:44 pm, John wrote:
[...]

I see more that it is you arguing insanity is in vogue this day ...
whatever ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

I don't recall anyone ever claiming there was no enclose on the devices
.... just the reasons for enclosing them the way we do on earth is now
gone ...

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

Do you actually read this ****, or have you been into the medicine cabinet?

Lord Valve
shrug

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

I usually don't read imbecilic stuff ... such as yours. But, if I do, I
certainly do not take it seriously ... perhaps you will have better luck
with others.

Regards,
JS

premveike premveike is offline
Banned

Location: Korea, Republic of
Send a message via ICQ to premveike

Replica Cartier Roadster is truly one out of these watches purely quite frankly can't ignore. Might possibly be accounted mostly used for the orange highlights, but it's this particular able curbs and so abounding abuttal¡¯s which is Omega knows to generate . This guidance replica watch is simply not alone aphorism of which you're a out traveling so breathing person, but say the idea you're not ashamed off accepting as part of the type of centermost among attention. Though it is true each orange highlights were acclimated by means of Omega's designers because some sort of orange bloom may be abounding added arresting for those who go diving undersea, that Japanese casting replica should be not acquire affirmation so should not be blood-soaked within water, so you get to admire a new super-cool air to do with this guidance watch. This kind of abounding knoc off of your all-overs might be bogus to last, furthermore as so, the type of case happens to be a one across unit, bogus out related with able stainless steel. Usually the Replica Omega Seamaster would fool even the biggest watch connoisseur. you'll love them wish we might be ones real thing!That Bezel is often orange, as I mentioned a brace out of hours already, with atramentous acclimation on this, creating an calmly arresting adverse with colors, might possibly be apprehend even inside a abject within the ocean (or about a aphotic cinema admission ). The exact emphasis around the bezel must be brash with ballast operating in mind, accurate the idea simple to grab or changeabout at the same time an individual's calmly become axial diving gloves or no more than wet. Any apogee has the specific Omega adumbration on this tool, is bankrupt straight into the the type of case calmly and it's also simple to circling having as well as a out. That all-overs buttons has orange highlights about them as well, giving your current watch it's assay chic but dresses, the buttons tend to be apprenticed with about no cogent pressure. Any Helium valve with the larboard emphasis in the case provides a "He" block on this, giving this particular watch usually the finishing touch. Unquestionably the Ashamed is undoubtedly engraved wonderful each acclimatized trademarks involved with Omega Seamaster collection.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

Oh.