Vade Forrester

Default "Best" Current Production 12AU7?

What are some of your thoughts on what is the best current production 12AU7
for hifi applications?

Philip Meech

Electro Harmonix

Vade Forrester wrote:
What are some of your thoughts on what is the best current production 12AU7
for hifi applications?

Vade Forrester

That's what I'm currently using. Have you found any advantage to the gold
pin version, other than to the tube seller?

"Philip Meech" wrote in message
Electro Harmonix

Vade Forrester wrote:
What are some of your thoughts on what is the best current production

12AU7
for hifi applications?

Patrick Turner

Philip Meech wrote:

Electro Harmonix

Vade Forrester wrote:
What are some of your thoughts on what is the best current production 12AU7
for hifi applications?

There are not many to choose from.
12AU7 are still reasonably plentiful as NOS items, since they have
become unpopular amoungst hi-end users, imho.
I think they are marvellous.

The 12AU7 is similar to 6CG7 which has 3 dB more gain in most circuits.
The EH6CG7 is, imho, not a nice sounding critter, last time I compared it to NOS
Telefunken and Mullard, it didn't sound well.
So does the EH12AU7 sound any good or not?

The only way to finjd out is buy a pair, and plug em in.
Its not as if it costs much to do that.

Patrick Turner.

Ronald

Hi ,

I don't like the 12AU7/ECC82 at all but .....

There are not many to choose from.

JJ is an (theoretical?) option .....

12AU7 are still reasonably plentiful as NOS items, since they have
become unpopular amoungst hi-end users, imho.

Unpopular as they should be !! It's a dull sounding tube and looks like
sh*t next to a 300B or other power tube .

I think they are marvellous.

I don't ...... IMHO the old long plates are the best , but still a ****ty
tube .
or not ......

Ronald .

P.s.
If it's for a new design the JJ ECC99 might be an option ..... (as driver) .

The 12AU7 is similar to 6CG7 which has 3 dB more gain in most circuits.
The EH6CG7 is, imho, not a nice sounding critter, last time I compared it

to NOS
Telefunken and Mullard, it didn't sound well.
So does the EH12AU7 sound any good or not?

The only way to finjd out is buy a pair, and plug em in.
Its not as if it costs much to do that.

Patrick Turner.

Max Holubitsky

Ronald wrote:

Hi ,

I don't like the 12AU7/ECC82 at all but .....

There are not many to choose from.

JJ is an (theoretical?) option .....

Bad option... I had them in my preamp, they didn't last long.

12AU7 are still reasonably plentiful as NOS items, since they have
become unpopular amoungst hi-end users, imho.

Unpopular as they should be !! It's a dull sounding tube and looks like
sh*t next to a 300B or other power tube .

Ok, but in a preamp they can sound great... and not everyone uses 300B's. I
think they're a better choice than a 12AX7 in many applications where 12AX7s are
used.

I think they are marvellous.

I don't ...... IMHO the old long plates are the best , but still a ****ty
tube .
or not ......

Ronald .

P.s.
If it's for a new design the JJ ECC99 might be an option ..... (as driver) .

The 12AU7 is similar to 6CG7 which has 3 dB more gain in most circuits.
The EH6CG7 is, imho, not a nice sounding critter, last time I compared it

to NOS
Telefunken and Mullard, it didn't sound well.
So does the EH12AU7 sound any good or not?

The only way to finjd out is buy a pair, and plug em in.
Its not as if it costs much to do that.

Patrick Turner.

Robert Casey

12AU7 are still reasonably plentiful as NOS items, since they have
become unpopular amoungst hi-end users, imho.

Unpopular as they should be !! It's a dull sounding tube and looks like
sh*t next to a 300B or other power tube .

What does it matter what the tube physically looks like? It's a 9 pin
twin triode and looks similar to a 12AX7. Depending on the
circuit, they could sound great. In my equipment the tubes are partially
hidden from view.

Fred Nachbaur

Max Holubitsky wrote:

[...]

Ok, but in a preamp they can sound great... and not everyone uses 300B's. I
think they're a better choice than a 12AX7 in many applications where 12AX7s are
used.

What??? It's a completely different tube. Just because the pinout is the
same doesn't mean that it's interchangeable. In some circuits it might
work half-assed, but don't be too surprised that it doesn't work properly.

12AU7 shines as a driver (or similar services like phase splitters,
etc.), whereas the 12AX7 is optimized for gain. It's like comparing
apples and oranges.

This is of course all out the window when it comes to musical production
amps, and anything goes as far as plunking in wrong subs "just because."

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Andy Evans

I'd use something different, as said. Plug and play options include the E80CC
and ECC99, both much nicer sound.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

Ronald

E80CC is a bit "forward" on the mids ....
But that might be "just it" in some cases !!
At least it's musical .

Ronald .

"Andy Evans" schreef in bericht
I'd use something different, as said. Plug and play options include the

E80CC
and ECC99, both much nicer sound.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

Max Holubitsky

Fred Nachbaur wrote:

Max Holubitsky wrote:

[...]

Ok, but in a preamp they can sound great... and not everyone uses 300B's. I
think they're a better choice than a 12AX7 in many applications where 12AX7s are
used.

What??? It's a completely different tube. Just because the pinout is the
same doesn't mean that it's interchangeable. In some circuits it might
work half-assed, but don't be too surprised that it doesn't work properly.

12AU7 shines as a driver (or similar services like phase splitters,
etc.), whereas the 12AX7 is optimized for gain. It's like comparing
apples and oranges.

This is of course all out the window when it comes to musical production
amps, and anything goes as far as plunking in wrong subs "just because."

I meant that some circuits which are designed for use with 12AX7's, such as drivers
for output stages, could be re-designed for use with a low mu tube like a 12AU7 to
better effect. I don't mean that it could be used as a plug in sub, although it may
have sounded that way.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Patrick Turner

Robert Casey wrote:

12AU7 are still reasonably plentiful as NOS items, since they have
become unpopular amoungst hi-end users, imho.

Unpopular as they should be !! It's a dull sounding tube and looks like
sh*t next to a 300B or other power tube .

What does it matter what the tube physically looks like? It's a 9 pin
twin triode and looks similar to a 12AX7. Depending on the
circuit, they could sound great. In my equipment the tubes are partially
hidden from view.

The 12AU7 comes in various forms, both large plates,
and some with very small plates.

One simply has to *try a few samples* before deciding if you like any you
have
tried.

The same applies to most other tubes, and to come to some general
oppinion that all 12AU7 suck is to oppine negatively without sufficient
basis.
The big plate versions are very similar to big plate versions of 6CG7, some
of which
have long plates identical in everyway to those used in some 6SN7, and the
12BH7.
It seems to me that the only thing that is different is the grid wire size,
wire spacing,
and size. I bet the cathodes are fairly similar.
The 12AU7 is simply a generic low U signal triode like so many others,
and thus possibly conveys the best of audio like any of the rest, depending
how
discerning you are.

The 6SN7 is a better looking tube alongside a 300B, but not alongside
a 417 or EL84. An ECC33 or 32 might look better with 300B.
One bloke I know prefers a choke loaded 2A3 to drive a 300B.
Whatever is used will sound a little different, and then what of the
differences that
may exist between channels? Pity the guy with a tubed HT system,
it'd be unlikely he'd have 5.1 sweet sounding channels unless he was
extremely choosy.
Does one really sugary channel with a sour channel add to be a mildly sweet
system?

One has to choose preamp and other tubes carefully, especially those without
loops of NFB,
although one could say the NFB sours sweet sound as much as it sweetens sour
sound.

Tubes allow us freedom to explore colour, without straying from
what is technically hi-fi.

I remember people in the 1970's having similar discussions about the
types of transistors they used.

I won't go there, I'd prefer to use fets.

Patrick Turner.

Ross Matheson

:
: Unpopular as they should be !! It's a dull sounding tube and looks like
: sh*t next to a 300B or other power tube .

Depends on the setting, possibly. Coincidentally, off a link from the
thread above, there's a picture of an amp using 12AU7 300B and 845.
http://www.meixingaudio.com/ENGLISH/...c300b-845a.htm
Sander deWaal

Patrick Turner said:

The same applies to most other tubes, and to come to some general
oppinion that all 12AU7 suck is to oppine negatively without sufficient
basis.
The big plate versions are very similar to big plate versions of 6CG7, some
of which
have long plates identical in everyway to those used in some 6SN7, and the
12BH7.
It seems to me that the only thing that is different is the grid wire size,
wire spacing,
and size. I bet the cathodes are fairly similar.
The 12AU7 is simply a generic low U signal triode like so many others,
and thus possibly conveys the best of audio like any of the rest, depending
how
discerning you are.

Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
With specs similar to the 6SN7, it's a very sweet sounding tube and
useful in many applications.
I think this tube is one of the most underestimated tubes for audio
use.
This has advantages, too. You can buy buckets full of them for next to
nothing.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

Ronald

Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.

Shhhhhhhhh !!!!! Don't spoil all supplies ;-))

Andy Evans

Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
With specs similar to the 6SN7, it's a very sweet sounding tube and useful in
many applications.

I have some but haven't tried them yet. I was worried about the Ra=11. My
current amp input circuit is a voltage amp DC coupled to a concertina, no
global feedback, so I was speculating where to try the ECC40, or indeed the
E80CC. I suppose as the first stage with cathode bypass. I have a rather nice
6J5 there right now, and a 12B4 in the concertina. Not shabby.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Ruud Broens

"Ronald" wrote in message
: Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
:
: Shhhhhhhhh !!!!! Don't spoil all supplies ;-))
:
:
Err, guys, where do you buy them rl sockets ? (I know the place for the
ECC40's
Rudy

Ronald

Ha Ruud ,

Op de radio markt .......
Of http://www.machmat.com/sales/socket.htm Maar da's niet goedkoop .....

Ronald .

"Ruud Broens" schreef in bericht

"Ronald" wrote in message
: Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
:
: Shhhhhhhhh !!!!! Don't spoil all supplies ;-))
:
:
Err, guys, where do you buy them rl sockets ? (I know the place for the
ECC40's
Rudy

Patrick Turner

Sander deWaal wrote:

Patrick Turner said:

[...]

The ECC range of tubes isn't seen in buckets no matter how long you leave a
bucket
out and wait for them to drop into it during the stormy weather in Oz.

Maybe heaps of them exist in europe.

But anything is worth the try, imho, if it has the basic useful features.

Patrick Turner.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

Ronald

Hi Patrick ,

The ECC40 isn't that hard to get over here in the Netherland and
Germany . Most of the time the "rimlock" socket is the problem .....
The "normal" prices for the ECC40 are about the same as the SQ
versions of the ECC81/6201/12AT7 . But you might get lucky also .
I use an ECC40 in my CD player (home mod. on old 16-bit) and
it sounds great . At first I used a Tungram but the Valvo I'm using
now sounds (just) a little better . I'm using the ECC40 in my favorite
"Alan Kimmel" mu-stage (= almost CCS) and you hardly can go
wrong then with the ECC40 . Its Mu is almost scary constant so
both halfs (plus and min) of the inputsignal will get about the same
amplification . The ECC40 might just be the tube if you try to get
around the ECC88 and there seems to be no option with Mu =30 .
Personaly I like its sound much better than the (over the top priced)
E80CC .

Best regards ,

Ronald .

"Patrick Turner" schreef in bericht

Sander deWaal wrote:

Patrick Turner said:

[...]

Ruud Broens

"Ronald" wrote in message
: Ha Ruud ,
:
: Op de radio markt .......
: Of http://www.machmat.com/sales/socket.htm Maar da's niet goedkoop .....
:
: Ronald .
: :
: :
: Err, guys, where do you buy them rl sockets ? (I know the place for the
: ECC40's
: Rudy

Ja, bij Matthijs, maar die voetjes kosten 2 keer zoveel als de buisjes ! O,
well..
Bedankt,
Ruud

Patrick Turner

Ronald wrote:

Hi Patrick ,

The ECC40 isn't that hard to get over here in the Netherland and
Germany . Most of the time the "rimlock" socket is the problem .....
The "normal" prices for the ECC40 are about the same as the SQ
versions of the ECC81/6201/12AT7 .

There are a coupla blokes down here who might have a few of these ECC40,
but its the rimlock thing that puts me off.
Now it they were octal, well, guess thay'd have been discovered.....

But you might get lucky also .
I use an ECC40 in my CD player (home mod. on old 16-bit) and
it sounds great . At first I used a Tungram but the Valvo I'm using
now sounds (just) a little better . I'm using the ECC40 in my favorite
"Alan Kimmel" mu-stage (= almost CCS) and you hardly can go
wrong then with the ECC40 . Its Mu is almost scary constant so
both halfs (plus and min) of the inputsignal will get about the same
amplification .

Yes, but real mu followers all have equal loads and 2H cancelling if the load is

high......

The ECC40 might just be the tube if you try to get
around the ECC88 and there seems to be no option with Mu =30 .
Personaly I like its sound much better than the (over the top priced)
E80CC .

There are/were all manner of ECC triodes in larger bottles....

Now why don't I like the ECC88?
It must be the hard sound.

Ah, but you guys dunno about the 12AH7, now does yer?
Special Oz secret.

Patrick Turner.

Sander deWaal wrote:

Patrick Turner said:

[...]

Robert Casey

Sander deWaal wrote:

Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
With specs similar to the 6SN7, it's a very sweet sounding tube and
useful in many applications.
I think this tube is one of the most underestimated tubes for audio
use.
This has advantages, too. You can buy buckets full of them for next to
nothing.

There's a pdf file at:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...46/e/ECC40.pdf
with many app notes for this tube. And it is mentioned that the cathode-
heater voltage rating is 175V, higher than most similar tubes. That would
make those SRPP circuits more possible.

As for sockets, you could just disassemble an ordinary socket and use
the metal parts to grab the tube pins. Arrange them in a suitable pattern
on a circuit board. Or use the pins from a female D computer connector,
those look about the right size at least for regular 7 and 9 pin miniature
tubes.

Andy Evans

There's a pdf file at:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...46/e/ECC40.pdf
with many app notes for this tube.

Nice - thanks. I have six tubes and six sockets - must try them out. Maybe even
in a cascode.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

DEMOSTENES A. Goksøyr

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:12:56 GMT, Robert Casey
wrote:

Sander deWaal wrote:

Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
With specs similar to the 6SN7, it's a very sweet sounding tube and
useful in many applications.
I think this tube is one of the most underestimated tubes for audio
use.
This has advantages, too. You can buy buckets full of them for next to
nothing.

As for sockets, you could just disassemble an ordinary socket and use
the metal parts to grab the tube pins. Arrange them in a suitable pattern
on a circuit board. Or use the pins from a female D computer connector,
those look about the right size at least for regular 7 and 9 pin miniature
tubes.

The socketrs are not difficult to find at least not in Europe. We have
a good stock of a nice ceramic type. You can find them at
www.demostenes.no
Most major valvedealers in Europe can probably help you with rimlock
sockets.

Best regards,

Arnold Goksøyr

DEMOSTENES A.Goksøyr
N6899 Balestrand - Norway
Tlf. +47 57691340 Fax +47 57691267
http://www.demostenes.no
Order directly from our web shop. Thousand of valves, sockets,
transformers, books and a lot of other components.
Ruud Broens

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
: Sander deWaal wrote:
:
: Don't forget the rimlock type ECC40.
: With specs similar to the 6SN7, it's a very sweet sounding tube and
: useful in many applications.
: I think this tube is one of the most underestimated tubes for audio
: use.
: This has advantages, too. You can buy buckets full of them for next to
: nothing.
:
: As for sockets, you could just disassemble an ordinary socket and use
: the metal parts to grab the tube pins. Arrange them in a suitable pattern
: on a circuit board. Or use the pins from a female D computer connector,
: those look about the right size at least for regular 7 and 9 pin miniature
: tubes.
:

Hm, found this:
http://www.radioroehren.de/eindex.htm
They have a PCB single pin contact (FAS900) 0.34 euro each
to assemble a socket on PCB
Rudy

Patrick Turner

Robert Casey wrote:

Sander deWaal wrote:

[...]

The ECC40 is a nice tube for DIY folks with plenty of time to
addapt something for the oddball 8 pin arrangement.
If it ain't octal, or 9pin miniauture, or possibly 7 pin miniature,
then its not a good choice for any commercial design, ppl would have trouble
sourcing the tube.

Its specs are very similar to ECC32, which are octal based twin triodes,
Ra = 14k, U = 30 ( approx ).

Both ECC32 and 40 have rather too much gain for a line stage,
and it has to be reduced and current FB is one way, but to me a 12AU7
with its already low gain is a bit easier.

Its no wonder the ECC40 is plentiful and cheap, the makers
made a mistake to use a pinout so different to the status quo
of octal, 9&7 minis.

Then there was noval, for 7868, etc.Why would anyone use 7868 now?
Maybe if they made a new version with an octal socket, yes,
but why oh why was the noval socket ever made?!
Loctal was also brought in for milspec gear to prevent tubes falling out of
sockets.
OK, the damn military must have bomb proof gear.
There is no place now for loctals in civi street.
And then came transistors, so a huge diversity of tube socketting was never
developed,
which was really good for us now!
Imagine if we had had 100,000 different types of twin triodes,
with 50 different sockets, and a very limited production of any of them.

Luckily, only about 30 different tubes need to be produced for audio amps
in the world now.
That makes it easy for the russian factories.
In 1960, maybe 4,000 types were being made.

Patrick Turner.

Andy Evans

Its no wonder the ECC40 is plentiful and cheap, the makers made a mistake to
use a pinout so different to the status quo
of octal, 9&7 minis.

But what was the status quo at the time it was made? It's an old valve.

Then there was noval, for 7868, etc.Why would anyone use 7868 now?

Good sound - I have some!

Maybe if they made a new version with an octal socket..

7591 - very nice.

yes, but why oh why was the noval socket ever made?!

It's Novar, isn't it? Good question.

Loctal was also brought in for milspec gear to prevent tubes falling out of
sockets.

And if you don't twist back the flange underneath the sockets are very good for
pulling the tubes to pieces trying to extract them. Nevertheless, I have some
stunning loctal tubes: C3M, 7AF7, 7N7, XXL, CV391 - these are nearly as good as
it gets in their particular types.
The whole deal with these oddball sockets is that though they are hopeless for
commercial gear as you say, they are well priced for experimenters and DIY
projects. Look at the difference in price between a '40s 7N7 and a '40s 6SN7 -
try buying the 6SN7 for $5. And to make things even better, I got 100 teflon
loctal sockets for peanuts. Try getting a teflon octal socket for $5 even!

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Corné Janssen

Andy Evans wrote:

Its no wonder the ECC40 is plentiful and cheap, the makers made a mistake to
use a pinout so different to the status quo
of octal, 9&7 minis.

But what was the status quo at the time it was made? It's an old valve.

I checked the Radio vademencum and rimlock tubes were introduced
somewhere around 1948. The 9pin Noval tubes are found in radios from
about 1951/1952.

Corné

Patrick Turner

Andy Evans wrote:

[...]

Yes, there is much to agree with here.
I ought to make all the gear I wilol own myself with oddball sockets just for the
cost.
Somehow though, I seem to have accumulated so much junk that will be only
good if stripped down for its sockets, terminal strips, occasional resistor,
transformers, maybe a pot or two, that I will never ever have a shortage.
But I am far to busy now building orders of quality stuff for customers to indulge
in things like a new tubed oscilliscope, and a few other bits of gear,
plus some radios, and yet even more audio gear for myself.

Patrick Turner.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

Sander deWaal

"Ruud Broens" said:

: Ha Ruud ,

: Op de radio markt .......
: Of http://www.machmat.com/sales/socket.htm Maar da's niet goedkoop .....

: Err, guys, where do you buy them rl sockets ? (I know the place for the
: ECC40's
: Rudy

Ja, bij Matthijs, maar die voetjes kosten 2 keer zoveel als de buisjes ! O,
well..

Heheh........ben ik effe blij dat ik een doos vol heb.
Ik ga denk ik Marktplaats maar eens vullen :-)

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
Mark Harriss

I have a preamp that uses a 12AX7 for the input stage
and a 12AT7 for the output stage. over the last 5 years or so
since I built it I've tried EI, Sovtek LPS, Mullard CV4004 and
just recently some Australian made Philips CV4003/12AU7.

The Philips CV4003 gave the best, clear sound followed
by the EI 12AX7 which are about 15 years old production types.
For the 12AT7 output stage I tried GE and Sylvania 12AT7WA,
15 yr old EI 12AT7, Philips CV4003 and for the hell of it the
EI 12AX7 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS. The Philips CV4003 followed closely
by the EI 12AT7 gave the best sound for me.

To qualify all that, it's just for my amplifier and my
ears that it sounds best: giving extra treble with a power amp
engineered for bass, driving rear loaded horn speakers and 96dB
tweeters.

Mark Harriss