Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default M Audio digital recorder for long recordings?

Hi,,

I'm looking for a 2 channel digital recorder that will record WAV's for up
to 8 hours.

This seems perfect.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/46157/prod...81_a_7c4 6157

M Audio says it will record files over 2Gb seamlessly, up to its maximum
capacity of a 16Gb card. I'm guesssing it just records up to 8 2Gb files
without data loss to stitch together in Post, which will be just fine.

Does anyone have this model and can tell me if there are any caveats to
doing this? Is it totally without gaps? Can't find anything from M Audio
about the details.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Hi,,

I'm looking for a 2 channel digital recorder that will record WAV's for up
to 8 hours.

This seems perfect.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/46157/prod...81_a_7c4 6157

M Audio says it will record files over 2Gb seamlessly, up to its maximum
capacity of a 16Gb card. I'm guesssing it just records up to 8 2Gb files
without data loss to stitch together in Post, which will be just fine.

Does anyone have this model and can tell me if there are any caveats to
doing this? Is it totally without gaps? Can't find anything from M Audio
about the details.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Ah, just noticed the blurb say it records "2-channel WAV (BWF)". I Googled
to find BWF does not have the 4Gb (2Gb for some programs) limit the WAV's
have. Maybe that's it then.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Ah, just noticed the blurb say it records "2-channel WAV (BWF)". I Googled
to find BWF does not have the 4Gb (2Gb for some programs) limit the WAV's
have. Maybe that's it then.

The 2/4 GB limit for a WAV file has to do with how large any file can be
under Windows (or maybe under FAT32). The problem with creating a file
that's larger than that sensible limit is that you may not be able to do
anything with it other than play it back on the machine that recorded it.

If it automatically splits the file at a given length, I'm sure it
doesn't lose any samples before starting the continuation in another
file. My Korg MR-1000 starts a new file every 1 GB, my Mackie HDR24/96
starts a new file every 15 minutes, and they both paste together
seamlessly. Nobody lectures nonstop for eight hours. Surely you can find
some reasonable places to cut the recording into reasonable chunks.
That's the sensible thing to do.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
message

Ah, just noticed the blurb say it records "2-channel WAV
(BWF)". I Googled to find BWF does not have the 4Gb
(2Gb for some programs) limit the WAV's have. Maybe
that's it then.

BWFs have the same size limits as .wav files:

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

The short answer is:

The 2 GB limit on .wav files comes from a 32 bit counter in the .wav file
header. When the .wav file format was invented, people were still sizing
hard drives in megabytes... BTW, the 32 bit counter can potentially handle
4 GB .wav files but not all software supports this feature.

There is also a Sony wave files format called wav64 that replaces the 32 bit
counter with a 64 bit counter, which faciliates considerably larger files.

People have been circumventing the 2/4 GB size limit for years, maybe more
than a decade. The general technique is to break data up into 2 GB segments
and then come up with some way to logically string them together. Usually,
a control file of some kind is used to do this.

BTW, I'm so happy with my first edition Microtrak that I've never felt the
need to upgrade. When I'm making really long recordings, I just use 192 kB
MP3s.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Bruce John Bruce is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

Mike is absolutely correct in saying that the 2GB limit is a file system
issue. CF "disks" use FAT32 which restricts - and I'm sure someone will
correct me if I've got this wrong - individual files to a maximum of 2GB
in size.

A clue may be had from DV's faetures list which says, and I quote,
"Multipart recording of files beyond 2Gb in size".

That said, there are contradictions in their description . . for
eaxmple, is the phantom power a genuine 48V, or only 30V?

HTH, John.

P.S. I rate DV very highly, have you been to their new Clapham store?
It's not so convenient for me as their previous location was in Purley.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately its continuously segue'd music and it needs to be set and left
til it finishes, and will be net streamed as such.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
message

Ah, just noticed the blurb say it records "2-channel WAV
(BWF)". I Googled to find BWF does not have the 4Gb
(2Gb for some programs) limit the WAV's have. Maybe
that's it then.

BWFs have the same size limits as .wav files:

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

That's funny, cos thats the page I looked at and for some reason I thought
I'd read that it didn't have the same limits. How embarrasing, must pay
more attention!

The short answer is:

The 2 GB limit on .wav files comes from a 32 bit counter in the .wav file
header. When the .wav file format was invented, people were still sizing
hard drives in megabytes... BTW, the 32 bit counter can potentially
handle 4 GB .wav files but not all software supports this feature.

I have an old copy of Wavelab and that bugs out at 2GB.

There is also a Sony wave files format called wav64 that replaces the 32
bit counter with a 64 bit counter, which faciliates considerably larger
files.

People have been circumventing the 2/4 GB size limit for years, maybe more
than a decade. The general technique is to break data up into 2 GB
segments and then come up with some way to logically string them together.
Usually, a control file of some kind is used to do this.

BTW, I'm so happy with my first edition Microtrak that I've never felt the
need to upgrade. When I'm making really long recordings, I just use 192 kB
MP3s.

Cheers. When I was looking round at digital recorders, I did notice in the
specs that some absolutely would not record more than 2GB at a time, despite
taking larger cards. The Zoom H2 being one of them.

Just thought I'd make sure with this one.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Unfortunately its continuously segue'd music and it needs to be set and left
til it finishes, and will be net streamed as such.

Time for a new producer! I guess I had this requirement confused with
the one where someone wanted to record a day's worth of lectures. But
really, hours and hours and hours of music with not a single break?
Don't the musicians have to pee now and then?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news
Gareth Magennis wrote:

Unfortunately its continuously segue'd music and it needs to be set and
left til it finishes, and will be net streamed as such.

Time for a new producer! I guess I had this requirement confused with the
one where someone wanted to record a day's worth of lectures. But really,
hours and hours and hours of music with not a single break? Don't the
musicians have to pee now and then?

It's a DJ on a club night, Mike. One DJ, one 8 hour unbroken session.
Doesn't seem to have many pees though.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Unfortunately its continuously segue'd music and it needs to be set and
left til it finishes, and will be net streamed as such.

Time for a new producer! *I guess I had this requirement confused with the
one where someone wanted to record a day's worth of lectures. But really,
hours and hours and hours of music with not a single break? Don't the
musicians have to pee now and then?

It's a DJ on a club night, Mike. One DJ, one 8 hour unbroken session.
Doesn't seem to have many pees though.

Gareth.

why can't you use 192KB MP3,,, and don't tell me the quality is not
good enough.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Unfortunately its continuously segue'd music and it needs to be set and
left til it finishes, and will be net streamed as such.

Time for a new producer! I guess I had this requirement confused with
the
one where someone wanted to record a day's worth of lectures. But
really,
hours and hours and hours of music with not a single break? Don't the
musicians have to pee now and then?

It's a DJ on a club night, Mike. One DJ, one 8 hour unbroken session.
Doesn't seem to have many pees though.

Gareth.

why can't you use 192KB MP3,,, and don't tell me the quality is not
good enough.

Mark

Probably just the word "lossy", and it's not totally my call. It's for the
website guys.

So far it's been recorded on a laptop as a WAV, put on a Linux server and
broadcast as mp3. The WAV may or may not be used later, and is there for
archiving anyway.

If I have a box than can do both 192 mp3 and WAV, I would choose the WAV.
The M Audio IS that box. I like it when storage is so cheap you don't need
to compress at all.

Gareth.