Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cyloafterx@gmail.com is offline

Default audio question to experienced users whose had both macbook andmacbook pro

Hi,

Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music? Will the quality of recording be the same?.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 16, 2:42 pm, wrote:
Hi,

Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music? Will the quality of recording be the same?.

connectivity
the new mac book does not have firewire or any expansion slot.
the new mac book pro has firewire 800 and an expresscard/34 slot.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:33:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music? Will the quality of recording be the same?.

connectivity
the new mac book does not have firewire or any expansion slot.
the new mac book pro has firewire 800 and an expresscard/34 slot.

Oh right. Which makes the macbook merely a toy for our purposes?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 16, 11:42*am, wrote:
Hi,

Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music? Will the quality of recording be the same?.

The audio specs are exactly the same for the built in audio. The Pro
will just be able to do more, faster, by a little bit. The 1/8" in/
outs are also optical digital in/outs that you can access with a mini
optical to toslink adapter that Belkin (among other companies) sells
for about $29. With that, if you have a device that has optical
digital ins and outs you can record direct digital ( up to 24bit, 96K)
to/from without another external interface. It works with any DAW that
uses the core audio of the Mac (except ProTools) both laptops come
with "GarageBand" software as part of the OS that you can use right
away to experiment with.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
Laurence Payne wrote:

the quality of recorded audio has a lot to do with the
source (performer, room, microphone) rather less to do with the
electronics (preamp, computer audio interface) and nothing at all to
do with the computer.

Nothing at all to do with the computer???

I find that mic preamps are a big deal, not a little deal. (And the A/D
D/A of the interface(s) is nothing to sneeze at.)

But I'd say the quality of the recorded audio is usually tied to the
skill of the operator.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

p.s. I'm still in a bit of shock. The Red Sox, playing like dogs for 3
games at Fenway, and down 7 runs in the 7th, just beat the Rays in the
bottom of the ninth to stave off elimination.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:54:28 -0400, david correia
wrote:

the quality of recorded audio has a lot to do with the
source (performer, room, microphone) rather less to do with the
electronics (preamp, computer audio interface) and nothing at all to
do with the computer.

Nothing at all to do with the computer???

Yes, I'll stand by that, read in the context of the part of my reply
you snipped :-)

I find that mic preamps are a big deal, not a little deal. (And the A/D
D/A of the interface(s) is nothing to sneeze at.)

Competence in those areas is cheaply and easily achieved these days.

But I'd say the quality of the recorded audio is usually tied to the
skill of the operator.

And don't forget the performer!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

wrote in message
Hi,

Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music?

Screen real estate. Get as much screen as you can afford.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Lawrence Payne wrote:

Nothing at all to do with the computer???

Yes, I'll stand by that, read in the context of the part of my reply
you snipped :-)

The tech support workers of more than a few audio companies daydream
about your point of view.

I find that mic preamps are a big deal, not a little deal. (And the A/D
D/A of the interface(s) is nothing to sneeze at.)

Competence in those areas is cheaply and easily achieved these days.

What do you consider a competent, cheap mic pre?

And for that matter, a competent, cheap converter?

I know I hear a distinct, preferential difference between the converters
of a Waves L2 and a Digidesign 192K interface. Both are competent but
neither is cheap.

And I hear a huge difference between a Mackie pre and a GML. One of them
is cheap.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Is there a major difference between macbook and macbook pro when it
comes to recording music? Will the quality of recording be the same?.

Unless you are using a 3rd part premium sound interface, you can depend
on audio recorded through a built-in analog input to be mediocre at best.
So if mediocre is your goal, you will likely be satisfied (or not) with
either
Apple model (or any PC model, for that matter).