Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik Washington Erik Washington is offline

Default audio file analysis- any last contributors?

Sorry, posts die/ lose interest fast, so I thought I would do a final repost
and ask for any final thoughts. For newbies, I am an audio hobbyist/
tinkerer who likes to recreate sound effects from scratch using samplers/
keyboards. I have always been attracted to the original Star Trek TV series
(1966-69) because most of the effects were from organic sources or the
Hammond organ (the viewing screen, for example, was pieced together and
echoed from exotic bird chirps). I have always found the following 3 files
a big challenge though and could never recreate the mixes because I wasn't
sure what was used in the first place:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20500853a44dbc14/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20509395ae9b4fcf/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20529200549e7e86/

One of these- the one of highest tone- was used mainly for the "transporter"
sound effect, while the other two were background alien planet surface
sounds (in fact, these lower tone mixes are nearly identical (ignore the
birds, footsteps) except one is the complete 30 sec loop and the other is
not). The only information I ever obtained was that they were created with
a modified Hammond organ mixed with winds and treated. I always tried to
figure out which winds and turned to this group. Good suggestions have been
made such as violins, bode device to change the organ tone, etc and I was
always specifically interested in the variable tone part of the mix.

I thank the contributors who have responded to the prior thread so far and
ask for any final contributions now as I will be taking down the files soon.
I seek to find out your best guess as to the wind instruments used to make
the sounds- especially the part that varies in tone.

Thanks again- and in advance- for any help.

Regards,
Erik W

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Erik Washington wrote:
[...]

I've always had the variable notes tagged in my mind as heavily
processed voices.

I'm probably wrong, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Erik Washington" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, thanks for this post. It brought back many memories. I was a big fan of
the original series music. My favorite being the music from the episode "The
Empath"

Best,
Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"polymod" wrote in message

Hey, thanks for this post. It brought back many memories. I was a big fan
of
the original series music. My favorite being the music from the episode
"The
Empath"

Best,
Poly

I guess one of the benefits of the original series was that, for many
episodes, an actual orchestra recorded the music as the visuals came across
a screen. Not every episode as it was too expensive, so often the same
music was edited to fit other episodes.

You can find much of the music fairly clean (meaning on its own channel
without voices) if the Dolby Digital channels are utilized on the DVDs. The
only drawback is that the sound effects were often recorded on the same
channel or stripe.

Erik