Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jane Jane is offline

Default Sony MDR V6 vs 7506

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jane" wrote ...
I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

I suspect that they come off the same assembly line and some get
the "7506" nameplate, and some get the "V6". I have a few of
each and I can't tell them apart without looking.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Jane wrote:
I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?

They are different, but neither one is even remotely flat and they both have
a lot of high end tip-up... it's just one has more than the other.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt Walt is offline

Jane wrote:
I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Do you mean "flat" as in "flat frequency response"

or

"flat" as in "dull, lifeless, uninteresting"?

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Walt" wrote ..
Jane wrote:
I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely
flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Do you mean "flat" as in "flat frequency response"
or
"flat" as in "dull, lifeless, uninteresting"?

I couldn't figure that one out, either.
They are neither, IME.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article ,
Jane wrote:

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?

I've been using them interchangeably for years and have never heard a
difference beyond what you'd expect when some are damaged.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick Tim Padrick is offline

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message
Jane wrote:

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely
flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?

I've been using them interchangeably for years and have never heard a
difference beyond what you'd expect when some are damaged.

-Jay

I've found the V6 to sound a little better, but they are both pretty bad.
For open-air I like Grado. For closed, I like ExtremeHeadphones (but I've
not yet heard any UltraSone).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Padrick wrote:

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message
Jane wrote:

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely
flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?

I've been using them interchangeably for years and have never heard a
difference beyond what you'd expect when some are damaged.

I've found the V6 to sound a little better, but they are both pretty bad.
For open-air I like Grado. For closed, I like ExtremeHeadphones (but I've
not yet heard any UltraSone).

I wouldn't call them "bad." They are phenomenally exaggerated on the top
end, which makes them really handy for editing. They're painful to listen
to for long periods, though, but they really show up bad edits.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tim Padrick" wrote:

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message
Jane wrote:

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 cans and to my ears they sound extremely
flat
compared to the 7506 which I also have.

Comments?

I've been using them interchangeably for years and have never heard a
difference beyond what you'd expect when some are damaged.

-Jay

I've found the V6 to sound a little better, but they are both pretty bad.
For open-air I like Grado. For closed, I like ExtremeHeadphones (but I've
not yet heard any UltraSone).

I've been using the closed-style Audio Technica ATH-M50s for critical
work. They're much better for that use than the Sonys. The Sonys are
good for tracking and editing, though.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Glenn Carlson wrote:

I'm looking for a new set of phones for critical listening.
I'll probably end up with either some Senheisers or possibly Grado.
The problem I have with Grado is the last time I tried a set they felt
painfully uncomfortable on my ears. I have a set of AKG K40's that I like a
lot but I'm getting some buzzing in the left transducer.
It's time for a change.

If it has been more than five or ten years, try the Grados again. They
have redesigned the earpads so it's not like having a vise clamped to
your head anymore. The new earpads are actually quite comfortable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Glenn Carlson" wrote in message

Yea that's about the time frame.
I like Grado stuff and having grown up in Brooklyn NY (Grado is located
there, last time I checked), I have a fond feeling for their products.

I'll give them a try again.
I'm also going to check out the Sennheiser 600 (I've heard the 650 and

they
sound great but the difference in price isn't worth it for me) and also

the
Audio Technica ATH M50 which also seems popular.

Anything else to put on the list?

One of my students has a pair of Beyers which he likes a lot, and my
momentary tryout of them suggests that I'd like them too. I'm going to find
out the model number and will pass it along; I need a new pair of cans
myself.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 20, 9:40*pm, Glenn Carlson wrote:
On 20 Oct 2008 16:36:24 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Glenn Carlson wrote:

I'm looking for a new set of phones for critical listening.
I'll probably end up with either some Senheisers or possibly Grado.
The problem I have with Grado is the last time I tried a set they felt
painfully uncomfortable on my ears. I have a set of AKG K40's that I like a
lot but I'm getting some buzzing in the left transducer.
It's time for a change.

If it has been more than five or ten years, try the Grados again. *They
have redesigned the earpads so it's not like having a vise clamped to
your head anymore. *The new earpads are actually quite comfortable.
--scott

Yea that's about the time frame.
I like Grado stuff and having grown up in Brooklyn NY (Grado is located
there, last time I checked), I have a fond feeling for their products.

I'll give them a try again.
I'm also going to check out the Sennheiser 600 (I've heard the 650 and they
sound great but the difference in price isn't worth it for me) and also the
Audio Technica ATH M50 which also seems popular.

Anything else to put on the list?

Here's a good place to find a wide variety of headphones and opinions
about them -
http://www.headphone.com/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Glenn Carlson" wrote in message

I'm also going to check out the Sennheiser 600 (I've
heard the 650 and they sound great but the difference in
price isn't worth it for me) and also the Audio Technica
ATH M50 which also seems popular.

Let me second the ATH M50s.

Anything else to put on the list?

I have a pair of ATH M50 (closed back) and also the ATH A700 (closed back)
and ATH AD700 (open back).

Sony MDR-V6 vs 7506 Bev Pro Audio 0 January 13th 05 01:45 PM
Sony MDR-V6 vs 7506 Geoff Wood Pro Audio 1 January 13th 05 11:39 AM
sony 7506 spare parts Matko High End Audio 2 September 14th 04 12:23 AM
sony mdr 7506 spare parts Matko Pro Audio 0 September 9th 04 09:37 AM
Sony 7506 Headphones e.maynard Pro Audio 24 August 17th 04 06:05 AM