Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pauli G Pauli G is offline

Default Stereo help needed - NAD receiver

I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower
speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem
up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting
nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops
("pre-
out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone growl
out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the
basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just
wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used
for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

I found a photo/description of the NAD model that I'm trying to fix.
I think this is exactly like mine, and it shows a photo of the loops
that I touch to give the growling sound:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/877154732.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Pauli G wrote:

I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower
speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem
up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting
nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops
("pre-
out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone growl
out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the
basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just
wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used
for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

I found a photo/description of the NAD model that I'm trying to fix.
I think this is exactly like mine, and it shows a photo of the loops
that I touch to give the growling sound:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/877154732.html

try rec.audio.tech and sci.electronics.repair

This is an audio production group.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pauli G Pauli G is offline

On Oct 20, 1:05*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Pauli G wrote:
[...]

Graham- Hide quoted text -

thank you!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Pauli G wrote:
I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower
speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem
up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting
nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops
("pre-
out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone growl
out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the
basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just
wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used
for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

So, you know the power amps work, because you get the hum when you touch
the loops. And you know the tuner works. But they're not connected together.
This is probably because the contacts on the switches are all corroded
from sitting in the basement. Hit them with Cramolin.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Pauli G wrote:

On Oct 20, 1:05 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Pauli G wrote:
[...]

You're very welcome.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article
,
Pauli G wrote:

I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower
speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem
up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting
nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops
("pre-
out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone growl
out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the
basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just
wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used
for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

Not that this will help ya, but last week we dropped off a pair of old
NAD 7060 receivers to our tech. They'd both developed the *exact* same
problem, a wanky left side somewhere in the preamp section. A
coincidence I'm sure ;

And they're from different locations, one from home, one from the
studio. Age caught up with some component. Am curious to find out what.

Actually, I can't wait to get them back all healthy again. I love the
old school analog am/fm tuning. The cool yellow back lighting. They
weigh a freakin ton. The one from my office is like part of the family.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com