Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] soundquestions@live.com is offline

Default SM-81 for choir micing

If you were going to mic a chorus with very low stage volume (no
monitors, no band, etc.), it seems to me a pair of SM-81's in a
coincident pair about 6 feet up and away should be just fine.

I see people talking about choir mics in church settings. But these
posts seem to be centering on jacked-up stage settings with shout-to-
hear-your-neighbor volumes in the crowd area (what happened to
"sanctuary" anyway?).

So I'm trying to approach this from a reasonable volume, not hyped
situation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

wrote in message
If you were going to mic a chorus with very low stage volume (no
monitors, no band, etc.), it seems to me a pair of SM-81's in a
coincident pair about 6 feet up and away should be just fine.

I see people talking about choir mics in church settings. But these
posts seem to be centering on jacked-up stage settings with shout-to-
hear-your-neighbor volumes in the crowd area (what happened to
"sanctuary" anyway?).

So I'm trying to approach this from a reasonable volume, not hyped
situation.

Is this sound reinforcement or for recording?

Either way in church settings visual esthetics often preclude optimal
placement and larger mics.

Personally I have has satisfactory results micing choirs with a wide variety
if condensers. everything from crown PCC to shotguns.

The only thing that I can recall that I was quite dissatisfied was an omni.
I found I wanted to hear the choir not choir+ room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:46:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If you were going to mic a chorus with very low stage volume (no
monitors, no band, etc.), it seems to me a pair of SM-81's in a
coincident pair about 6 feet up and away should be just fine.

I see people talking about choir mics in church settings. But these
posts seem to be centering on jacked-up stage settings with shout-to-
hear-your-neighbor volumes in the crowd area (what happened to
"sanctuary" anyway?).

So I'm trying to approach this from a reasonable volume, not hyped
situation.

The question part of this post is missing, so maybe only
general comments apply. Hard to tell your experience level
from the initial post, so forgive me if these comments are
too obvious (everything's obvious once you've done it!) :

Churches uniformly, without exception, seem to expect large
gains in choir sound volume by hanging a pair of microphones
and trusting to Faith. They are uniformly, without exception,
disappointed. Ain't happenin'. Never, ever, never.

Secondly, you need to begin to think about all the other
(potentially) open mic's in the sanctuary. Assuming (because
you didn't say) that you're talking about SR, the soup
that you're going to be cooking includes *all* potentially
open mic's.

But God dwells, with the Devil, in The Details (that new subdivision
further west), and without those details, nobody can offer you any
specific advice.

All the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
The question part of this post is missing, so maybe only
general comments apply. Hard to tell your experience level
from the initial post, so forgive me if these comments are
too obvious (everything's obvious once you've done it!) :

Also missing from the original post was the critical information about
whether the OP was asking about reinforcement or recording.

Churches uniformly, without exception, seem to expect large
gains in choir sound volume by hanging a pair of microphones
and trusting to Faith. They are uniformly, without exception,
disappointed. Ain't happenin'. Never, ever, never.

There are most certainly exceptions. It depends on sort of
churches you sample. Most of the ones I sample are "acoustic".

Secondly, you need to begin to think about all the other
(potentially) open mic's in the sanctuary. Assuming (because
you didn't say) that you're talking about SR, the soup
that you're going to be cooking includes *all* potentially
open mic's.

Indeed we know absolutely nothing about any of these other
critical details.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:16:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Churches uniformly, without exception, seem to expect large
gains in choir sound volume by hanging a pair of microphones
and trusting to Faith. They are uniformly, without exception,
disappointed. Ain't happenin'. Never, ever, never.

There are most certainly exceptions. It depends on sort of
churches you sample. Most of the ones I sample are "acoustic".

I knew, reading my post in Usenet, that I'd been more
"general" than was politic, so thanks for the opportunity
to clarify my sweeping generalizations.

First: if a stranger posts into r.a.p asking about church
sound and offering next-to-nothing details, my bet is that
(s)he has been drafted into a gig way over their head, and
needs a place to get started (and this ain't it! - (s)he
needs a book).

Second: A church big enough to have significant gain from
a pair of flying choir mics has a dedicated sound person. If
not, they need to get their act together - I **** thee not.

Smaller churches fly mics hoping for results that simply
cannot happen. I'm not being mean here; it's just what I've
seen way too many times. Expectations exceed anything
possible - that's (sometimes) life. Best, IMO, to get it
out front.

Third: Churches seem to always ignore issues of on-stage
monitoring; issues of musicians hearing each other are
classic. Two keyboard players twenty feet apart seems
trivial to SR folks, but it's a surprise problem to most church
folks. Sound just ain't their main gig.

There's a lot to be said about church sound, and I think
good bits of it would be generally useful to all pro-sound
folks. Hopefully the thread will continue deeper. (But the
OP really needs a good book!)

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
If you were going to mic a chorus with very low stage volume (no
monitors, no band, etc.), it seems to me a pair of SM-81's in a
coincident pair about 6 feet up and away should be just fine.

What are you miking them for? Recording? Or reinforcement?

In either case the SM81s would probably be fine, but I'm curious.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

I have used SM94's in x-y. Cheaper than 81's, but very good.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] soundquestions@live.com is offline

It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

Not to be cantankerous, but if there's sound reinforcement, it's not "purely
acoustic".

We still need to know a lot more. How many people singing? In what kinds of
spaces, for how big an audience? Accompanied by what instruments, if any?
Who will be operating the sound reinforcement system?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote from Gooooooooooogle Groups...
It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

It is not "acoustic" if you are doing sound reinforcement.

If you don't see that you are providing way too few
details to get any reasonable response, then you might
want to consider looking for local, live help rather than
trying to get assistance here.

Making people play "20-questions" isn't likely to win
you many folk willing to help you, either.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
If you were going to mic a chorus with very low stage volume (no
monitors, no band, etc.), it seems to me a pair of SM-81's in a
coincident pair about 6 feet up and away should be just fine.

You could do worse. The SM-81s aren't the best things around and will
tend to be a little brittle sounding, but they are perfectly okay in a
good room with a tight budget.

I see people talking about choir mics in church settings. But these
posts seem to be centering on jacked-up stage settings with shout-to-
hear-your-neighbor volumes in the crowd area (what happened to
"sanctuary" anyway?).

This is a very bad situation, yes.

So I'm trying to approach this from a reasonable volume, not hyped
situation.

Well, I can tell you that a pair of B&K 4006s with a Jecklin Disc will
sound a lot cleaner in a good room than an ORTF pair of SM-81s, but
it will cost a lot more too. And a Jecklin disc will make a real hash
of a bad room. On the other hand if you are in a long skinny church
with an extended narthex and very shallow galleries, a Blumlein pair of
figure-8s can help get you a good sound and can help you avoid slap problems
from the walls.

This sort of job becomes a question of what mike technique and configuration
fits the room.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

In that case, a mike with a tighter pattern will do better than an SM-81.
And a parametric set up to notch the first couple feedback modes would help
too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

Thanks, Scott.

Are you talking about a hypercardioid, or do you mean something like
an sm-58 that only picks up sounds close to the source?

I saw a Josephson C42 which sells for about $420 each. That's a good
brand, but I'm not sure what the pickup pattern is like compared to
the SM-81, or the off-axis response or the rf-rejection, etc.

Is there some mic in the $350 range that does what you are talking
about?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

I saw an AKG CK 98 for $400:

http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow... ew,specs.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro

genericaudioperson wrote:
Thanks, Scott.

Are you talking about a hypercardioid, or do you mean something like
an sm-58 that only picks up sounds close to the source?

Probably a hypercardioid. Your goal is to use microphones that you can
pull as far away from the source as possible.

I saw a Josephson C42 which sells for about $420 each. That's a good
brand, but I'm not sure what the pickup pattern is like compared to
the SM-81, or the off-axis response or the rf-rejection, etc.

The pattern is a little tighter than the SM-81. The top end is a whole
hell of a lot cleaner and the top end response is much flatter, and
consequently has better gain before feedback. But it's not super tight.

Is there some mic in the $350 range that does what you are talking
about?

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 23:07:22 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

genericaudioperson wrote:
Thanks, Scott.

Are you talking about a hypercardioid, or do you mean something like
an sm-58 that only picks up sounds close to the source?

Probably a hypercardioid. Your goal is to use microphones that you can
pull as far away from the source as possible.

I saw a Josephson C42 which sells for about $420 each. That's a good
brand, but I'm not sure what the pickup pattern is like compared to
the SM-81, or the off-axis response or the rf-rejection, etc.

The pattern is a little tighter than the SM-81. The top end is a whole
hell of a lot cleaner and the top end response is much flatter, and
consequently has better gain before feedback. But it's not super tight.

Is there some mic in the $350 range that does what you are talking
about?

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?
--scott

yes.

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 7/10/08 5:07, in article , "Scott Dorsey"
wrote:

(...)

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?

No.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 7/10/08 17:57, in article ,
"Ty Ford" wrote:

(...)

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?
--scott

yes.

Ty Ford

You're sure about that? The Audio-Technica website says it's discontinued.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 03:47:38 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

On 7/10/08 5:07, in article , "Scott Dorsey"

(...)

http://tinyurl.com/3tqwxb

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 03:47:38 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

On 7/10/08 5:07, in article , "Scott Dorsey"
wrote:

(...)

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?

No.

Ah, well ....at4053b now.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 8/10/08 17:42, in article ,
"Ty Ford" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 03:47:38 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

On 7/10/08 5:07, in article , "Scott Dorsey"
wrote:

(...)

Is the Audio-Technica AT4053 still being made?

No.

Ah, well ....at4053b now.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Huh? It just tried it again: type in 4053 into the search thingy on the A-T
website, and all you get is this:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...2b1/index.html
Type in 4053b and the search yields nothing, no hits. Hmpf.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:46:12 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Um, step away from the coffee machine and scroll down a bit, Joe. it's at the
bottom of the window.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 8/10/08 18:01, in article ,
"Ty Ford" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:46:12 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Um, step away from the coffee machine and scroll down a bit, Joe. it's at the
bottom of the window.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Hmm?

I've seen your link, thanks, I was complaining about the fact that their
"Product Search" doesn't get me there.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:18:45 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

On 8/10/08 18:01, in article ,
"Ty Ford" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:46:12 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Um, step away from the coffee machine and scroll down a bit, Joe. it's at
the
bottom of the window.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Hmm?

I've seen your link, thanks, I was complaining about the fact that their
"Product Search" doesn't get me there.

Joe,

My own experiences with product search were annoying until I realized that
the results were small and way at the bottom of the window. You had to find
them and click on them.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

,
"Ty Ford" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:46:12 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Um, step away from the coffee machine and scroll down a bit, Joe. it's at
the
bottom of the window.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...1f0/index.html

Hmm?

I've seen your link, thanks, I was complaining about the fact that their
"Product Search" doesn't get me there.

Joe,

My own experiences with product search were annoying until I realized that
the results were small and way at the bottom of the window. You had to find
them and click on them.

I tried it again: it does indeed work when I go to the Audio-Technica US
website. If I try the same search ("4053b") on for example the UK website, I
get an "Not available in your world area and/or language."

Hmm...

I hate websites where they make you click on a worldmap before letting you
in.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:50:14 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

I tried it again: it does indeed work when I go to the Audio-Technica US
website. If I try the same search ("4053b") on for example the UK website, I
get an "Not available in your world area and/or language."

Hmm...

I hate websites where they make you click on a worldmap before letting you
in.

It's a small world after all.

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Ty Ford wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:50:14 -0400, Joe Kotroczo wrote
(in article ):

I tried it again: it does indeed work when I go to the Audio-Technica US
website. If I try the same search ("4053b") on for example the UK website, I
get an "Not available in your world area and/or language."

Hmm...

I hate websites where they make you click on a worldmap before letting you
in.

It's a small world after all.

Ty Ford

Depends on the size of your screen....

jak

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

OK the question is micing choir using SM81's for SR.

Answer: getting gain before feedback (GBF) when micing from a distance is
always a problem requiring consideration of mic placement.

While the Sm81 does as well as many other cardioid condensers for this it is
still a cardioid. For optimum results with the dictates of mic placement
something with a hypercard pattern is usually slightly better. you aim the
null toward the speakers to optimize GBF.

I find the Samson C01
http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/C01U.pdf to be a good choice
when a LDC can be used.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

wrote in message
It's not for a church. It's for sound reinforcement. Visuals are
inconsequential. No monitors, purely acoustic.

OK the question is micing choir using SM81's for SR.

Answer: getting gain before feedback (GBF) when micing from a distance is
always a problem requiring consideration of mic placement.

While the Sm81 does as well as many other cardioid condensers for this it

is
still a cardioid. For optimum results with the dictates of mic placement
something with a hypercard pattern is usually slightly better. you aim the
null toward the speakers to optimize GBF.

I find the Samson C01
http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/C01U.pdf to be a good

choice
when a LDC can be used.

The more observant will notice the link is to the USB version. rest assured
the polar pattern is identical to the one that comes with a new C01

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Perry wrote:

I find the Samson C01
http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/C01U.pdf to be a good

choice
when a LDC can be used.

The more observant will notice the link is to the USB version. rest assured
the polar pattern is identical to the one that comes with a new C01

Sadly, the polar pattern on the data sheet has little to do with the polar
pattern of the actual device, as you will sadly discover if you attempt to
use it as a PA mike.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tim Perry wrote:

I find the Samson C01
http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/C01U.pdf to be a good

choice
when a LDC can be used.

The more observant will notice the link is to the USB version. rest

assured
the polar pattern is identical to the one that comes with a new C01

Sadly, the polar pattern on the data sheet has little to do with the polar
pattern of the actual device, as you will sadly discover if you attempt to
use it as a PA mike.

I will not insist the printed pattern is accurate, however I own 4 of these
and from first hand experience find they do work well for live PA choir.

micing a choir in a football stadium rt55 Pro Audio 5 October 10th 07 07:02 PM
choir overdub - the best way? Manu Staib Pro Audio 11 July 28th 06 05:46 PM
choir + band Lars Farm Pro Audio 13 June 19th 05 09:42 AM
Choir recording roy Pro Audio 70 May 15th 04 05:00 PM
Yet another Choir mic question,,,HELP!!! Hank G. Pro Audio 4 September 6th 03 02:27 PM