Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] maildrop999@yahoo.com is offline

Default RIAA Phone Pre-amp, Good Models under US $100 - Need Recommendations

RIAA Phone Pre-amp, Good Models under US $100 - Need Recommendations

I have a Technics Direct-Drive Turntable, fitted with Audio-Technica
Bi-Radial Cartridge
(I assume it is Moving Magnet type). I do have an amplifier with
phone in-put (Yamaha)
to play the LPs and 45s.

I plan to convert my Vinyl collection to WAV format, using M-
Audio's model
Audiophile 2496 Sound Card, hooking up the turntable to Sound Card
through
a RIAA Phone Pre-Amp (i.e. - By-passing the Amplifier)

I will appreciate if members can recommend some good quality RIAA
Phone
Pre-Amp models, priced under US $ 100, which are not too complicated
work and are available in USA.

Any model which has knob to control the 'Out-Put Level' will be
more
appropriate, because then I can change some of 'Recording Level'
from the recording software (Total Recorder or Audacity) and fine-
tune
the same from the Pre-Amp's 'Out-Put Level' knob.

Thanks

Frankie

Oct 14, 2008

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:

I have a Technics Direct-Drive Turntable, fitted with Audio-Technica
Bi-Radial Cartridge
(I assume it is Moving Magnet type). I do have an amplifier with
phone in-put (Yamaha)

I plan to convert my Vinyl collection to WAV format

Aha! Another sucker! How many? Do you think you'll ever finish? G

I will appreciate if members can recommend some good quality RIAA
Phone Pre-Amp models, priced under US $ 100

Since you've made the same mistake twice, let me correct you. You're
looking for a phonO preamp, not a phonE preamp.

However, any phono preamp under $100 will probably not be any better
than using the Tape Output of your Yamaha amplifier, if it has one (most
do). You have to listen to what you're doing so you'll need an amplifier
and speakers, or at least headphones, anyway. Keep it simple.

Any model which has knob to control the 'Out-Put Level' will be
more
appropriate, because then I can change some of 'Recording Level'
from the recording software (Total Recorder or Audacity) and fine-
tune
the same from the Pre-Amp's 'Out-Put Level' knob.

A noble concept, but you're really better off getting the level in the
right ballpark using the volume controls in your software and make fine
adjustments (or simply normalize) once the recording is made. I'd
recommend that you study out your whole recording to find ALL of the
places where you can adjust the recording volume - the recording
program, the Windows mixer, and the M-Audio control panel. Find the
"unity gain" position for each (if there's a slider with no numbers on
it, setting it about 3/4 of the way up will do) and leave them there
while you check the record level. It will be different from record to
record. If you need to make an adjustment, do it at only one point.

For what it's worth, I have a neighbor who has essentially the same
setup as you. He's been working through his rather modest (a couple of
yards of shelf space) record collection for about four years now and is
maybe a quarter through.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

On Oct 14, 6:08*am, Mike Rivers wrote:

For what it's worth, I have a neighbor who has essentially the same
setup as you. He's been working through his rather modest (a couple of
yards of shelf space) record collection for about four years now and is
maybe a quarter through.

I never knew you lived next door, Mike! g
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message

I have a Technics Direct-Drive Turntable, fitted with Audio-Technica
Bi-Radial Cartridge
(I assume it is Moving Magnet type). I do have an amplifier with
phone in-put (Yamaha)
to play the LPs and 45s.

I plan to convert my Vinyl collection to WAV format, using M-
Audio's model
Audiophile 2496 Sound Card, hooking up the turntable to Sound Card
through
a RIAA Phone Pre-Amp (i.e. - By-passing the Amplifier)

Why bypass the amplifier? The phono preamp contained in it is at least as
good as anything separate you can buy for under $100. Just go from the tape
outputs to your sound card.

Any model which has knob to control the 'Out-Put Level' will be
more
appropriate, because then I can change some of 'Recording Level'
from the recording software (Total Recorder or Audacity) and fine-
tune
the same from the Pre-Amp's 'Out-Put Level' knob.

Record in 24 bits and change the sound level after you record, in software.
Dither down to 16 bits after you've done all your processing, and you're
good to go.

Thank me, please; I just saved you $100.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] maildrop999@yahoo.com is offline

Thanks for the suggestions:

The Yamaha Amplifier (Model # is RX-495) does have provision for 2
Tape Decks
(I need one for Recording and the other one to Play the Source
Tape). Naturally,
there are 'Line-In' and 'Line-Out' for both items. In addition,
there are 4 other
"Line-In' options - Phono, CD, AUX and RECEIVER.

I wish to only hear the LP Record being played, I select the
'PHONO' option

If I want to Record the LPs sound to a tape, then Press the
'TAPE-1' option
(and needless to say, insert a cassette tape, press the Record
and then Play
buttons of Tape Deck)

You have implied that I can Play a Record and get RIAA Pre-
Amplified level
out-put from the Line-Out / TAPE-1 of Amplifier (The lead which
feeds the
Tape Deck and is hooked at Line-In of Tape Deck - 1). Since I
have two
sets of 'Line-Out' from Amplifier, but am using only 1 set to
Record on
TAPE-1, I have one extra set of Line-Out from Amplier (which
If I want, can
hook to Line-In of Tape Deck-2

Your feed-back on this question will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frankie

p.s.: I do agree with you. I have no plan to convert all my LPs /
45s and GOD
forbid the cassette tape collection to Digital format. The
excercise is
only for say 200 - 300 songs.

Mike Rivers wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
The Yamaha Amplifier (Model # is RX-495) does have provision for 2
Tape Decks
(I need one for Recording and the other one to Play the Source
Tape). Naturally,
there are 'Line-In' and 'Line-Out' for both items. In addition,
there are 4 other
"Line-In' options - Phono, CD, AUX and RECEIVER.

The Phono input isn't really a "Line-in" option, but we'll ignore that for
the moment.

You have implied that I can Play a Record and get RIAA Pre-
Amplified level
out-put from the Line-Out / TAPE-1 of Amplifier (The lead which
feeds the
Tape Deck and is hooked at Line-In of Tape Deck - 1). Since I
have two
sets of 'Line-Out' from Amplifier, but am using only 1 set to
Record on
TAPE-1, I have one extra set of Line-Out from Amplier (which
If I want, can
hook to Line-In of Tape Deck-2

Or to the line inputs on your soundcard. Which is really all you need to do.

p.s.: I do agree with you. I have no plan to convert all my LPs /
45s and GOD
forbid the cassette tape collection to Digital format. The
excercise is
only for say 200 - 300 songs.

Still not a small job. But manageable, if you have some free time.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Oct 16, 2:35 am, wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions:

The Yamaha Amplifier (Model # is RX-495) does have provision for 2
Tape Decks

= = = = =
You have implied that I can Play a Record and get RIAA Pre-
Amplified level
out-put from the Line-Out / TAPE-1 of Amplifier (The lead which
feeds the
Tape Deck and is hooked at Line-In of Tape Deck - 1). Since I
have two
sets of 'Line-Out' from Amplifier, but am using only 1 set to
Record on
TAPE-1, I have one extra set of Line-Out from Amplier (which
If I want, can
hook to Line-In of Tape Deck-2

Line out 1 (tape 1) to the inputs of the AP2496
Line out of the AP2496 to tape in 1, (monitor, return, whatever)
The computer is now your "tape deck"

There's no need to "bypass the amplifier" since the Yam's
phono preamp is more than adequate for transfer's of LPs.

Doesn't the 2496 come with a basic block diagram to explain this ?

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

"Line-In' options - Phono, CD, AUX and RECEIVER.

A phono cartridge isn't usually considered to be a "line" input because
it's at a lower voltage and requires equalization, but if to you every
jack that's an input is a "line input" that'll do.

I wish to only hear the LP Record being played, I select the
'PHONO' option

If I want to Record the LPs sound to a tape, then Press the
'TAPE-1' option
(and needless to say, insert a cassette tape, press the Record
and then Play
buttons of Tape Deck)

Yes, assuming your cassette recorder is connected to the appropriate
Tape 1 jacks (probably labeled "output").

You have implied that I can Play a Record and get RIAA Pre-
Amplified level
out-put from the Line-Out / TAPE-1 of Amplifier (The lead which
feeds the
Tape Deck and is hooked at Line-In of Tape Deck - 1).

Yes. That's the type of signal that your cassette deck accepts.

have two
sets of 'Line-Out' from Amplifier, but am using only 1 set to
Record on
TAPE-1, I have one extra set of Line-Out from Amplier (which
If I want, can
hook to Line-In of Tape Deck-2

Correct. You can use that output to go to your computer's sound card.
You can also connect the output of your computer's sound card to the
Tape 2 In jacks if you wish. That way you can play your computer's audio
through the receiver by pressing the button, and can monitor what's
going to the sound card when you're recording. This may be useful when
adjusting the record level to be sure you aren't distorting anything in
the signal path.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb. Moshe Goldfarb. is offline

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:35:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE
Looking at the specs for the unit, it looks ok.

Maximum Input Signal Level (1kHz, 0.04% THD) PHONO MM = 90mV
RIAA Equalization Deviation (20Hz to 20kHz) PHONO MM = 0+/-0.5dB

The maximum phono input signal level is a little on the low side but the
RIAA eq looks good.

Certainly at LEAST as good as anything you will get out of a less than
$100.00 stand alone phono pre amp.

These days phono pre amps pretty much come in 2 flavors.
The under $100.00 Recoton -like junk and the high end golden ear stuff.
There isn't really much in the middle.

The others have answered your questions but in general:

The output level of the cartridge is very low and needs
pre-pre-amplification to bring it to line level. It also needs to be
equalized to apply the reverse equalization (RIAA curve) that was applied
to the record when it was cut.

When you plug your turntable into the phono jacks all this is taken care of
internally in the unit.

Any of the outputs, tape, line whatever, (not speaker outputs!) will be
sending a single that is at the appropriate level for your sound card
inputs.

The only difference *might* be that on some receivers the Pre-Amp line
outputs are effected by the volume control on the receiver.

If that's the case, you don't want to use that one unless for some oddball
reason you can't get enough level which is doubtful.

Bottom line:

Use one of the tape outs or the line out from the receiver and plug it into
your soundcard.
Adjust the input level on the soundcards mixer (Delta Control Panel) so
things are not overloading.
Start your program and begin recording.

Monitor the soundcard outputs while recording so you can listen for
distortion etc.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: