Posted to rec.audio.pro
BW[_2_] BW[_2_] is offline

Default Studio monitor advice

Hello

I'm sure this topic has be hashed to heck, but I'd like some opinions
on some new monitors to check out. I make mostly electronic stuff -
house/techno/ect. I currently have the Alesis M1s which are pushing
12 yrs now, and I'm looking to take the plunge on some nice powered
monitors in the 1000/1500 buck range. My room is 15x15 and I use
mostly analogue gear, not much softsynths or plugins. I'm kinda
leaning toward the Dynaudio BM6a, the originals, not the MKIIs. So
any advice I'd appreciate.

much thanks - BW
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

BW wrote:

I'm sure this topic has be hashed to heck, but I'd like some opinions
on some new monitors to check out. I make mostly electronic stuff -
house/techno/ect. I currently have the Alesis M1s which are pushing
12 yrs now, and I'm looking to take the plunge on some nice powered
monitors in the 1000/1500 buck range. My room is 15x15 and I use
mostly analogue gear, not much softsynths or plugins. I'm kinda
leaning toward the Dynaudio BM6a, the originals, not the MKIIs. So
any advice I'd appreciate.

I think that the problem is that with the music you're working with, you
are going to need good low end response. And you might be able to
sacrifice midrange response a little bit for it.

I'll tell you right now that the Mackie HR824 is an okay monitor... not
the best midrange, but it's workable and it has pretty good bass extension
given the size of the cabinet. And it is currently kind of unfashionable
so you can get a good deal on them in the used market.

Most of the larger monitors that do have better low end extension aren't
going to show up used very often. There are a bunch of larger Tannoys
out there that occasionally show up but they get snapped up fast.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

I'll tell you right now that the Mackie HR824 is an okay monitor... not
the best midrange, but it's workable and it has pretty good bass extension
given the size of the cabinet. *And it is currently kind of unfashionable
so you can get a good deal on them in the used market.

Surprisingly, the Berringer knock offs of the Mackies sound pretty
good too (my son has a pair). If your music is going to be presented
somewhere other than your listening space, make sure you invest in a
decent sub woofer so you don't over mix the low end. I get a lot of
home studio produced music in my theater and I can immediately tell
when they didn't have a sub to mix with. When they come to my space
that's been set up using "Smaart Live" with my full range speakers and
the subs, any mix that is over mixed in the low end really booms when
played on a system that is really "full range". Whatever monitors you
get can only be enhanced with a sub (almost any sub if you don't over
drive it) so you can just barely feel the low end. If your attention
is drawn to the sub, it's too loud.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
BW[_2_] BW[_2_] is offline

I'll tell you right now that the Mackie HR824 is an okay monitor... not
the best midrange, but it's workable and it has pretty good bass extension
given the size of the cabinet. And it is currently kind of unfashionable
so you can get a good deal on them in the used market.

Most of the larger monitors that do have better low end extension aren't
going to show up used very often. There are a bunch of larger Tannoys
out there that occasionally show up but they get snapped up fast.

I had some 824's on loan for several months and I didn't really like
them, I also found my ears would get fatigued by those Mackies rather
quickly as opposed to any other I've worked with in other
environments.

thanks for the input!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 12, 3:28*pm, BW wrote:
Hello

I'm sure this topic has be hashed to heck, but I'd like some opinions
on some new monitors to check out. *I make mostly electronic stuff -
house/techno/ect. *I currently have the Alesis M1s which are pushing
12 yrs now, and I'm looking to take the plunge on some nice powered
monitors in the 1000/1500 buck range. *My room is 15x15 and I use
mostly analogue gear, not much softsynths or plugins. *I'm kinda
leaning toward the Dynaudio BM6a, the originals, not the MKIIs. *So
any advice I'd appreciate.

much thanks - BW

I'd take a look at the ADAM line. Maybe not as much low end as the
Mackies, but probably more accurate in the mids and highs.
-Neb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I'll tell you right now that the Mackie HR824 is an okay monitor... not
the best midrange, but it's workable and it has pretty good bass extensio=

given the size of the cabinet. =A0And it is currently kind of unfashionab=

[...]

I'll agree that the original poster is a good candidate for use of a
subwoofer... the thing is that setting a system with a subwoofer up is
a lot harder than setting a system without one up. And systems with
subwoofers that use a single-filter crossover and rely upon the natural
bass roll-off of the mains (as are common in a lot of cheap systems)
just cause more harm than good because there is no way for the response
to be flat in the very wide crossover region.

Consequently, adding a subwoofer and doing it right turns out to be a
much more expensive proposition than you might expect at first.

If you DO go with a subwoofer, try and go with an integrated system like
the Blue Sky arrangement. The Blue Sky stuff doesn't sound bad, and it
does go pretty low.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] victor.bresse@gmail.com is offline

Check out reviews ...
If I where you I'd go for the Adams.. Sparkling Snare and punchy mix.
If you're more into dancefloorish stuff...
otherwise for me clarity is in the genelec if you use vocals...