Stewart Pinkerton

On 31 Aug 2005 00:09:39 GMT, "Norman M. Schwartz"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

In fact, due to my nominally 84dB/w/m speakers being dipoles, and my
'50 watt' Krell pumping out a max of 27.4 volts rms into my speakers,
that's just about exactly what I get from my own system, and I don't
get many complaints that it won't play loudly enough.
--

Many years ago an audio and concert going friend of mine was very careful
about high volumes damaging the ribbons in the his original Apogee. Do you

No, since I'm using about a quarter of the power which others would
use on these speakers. A KSA-250 might cause more anxiety than my
KSA-50!

I didn't enjoy watching those ribbons
jumping all around during music listening, even at ordinary normal listening
levels.

Doesn't bother me at all, and that only happens noticeably under very
particular conditions. Ever noticed how cone speakers flap about? :-)

The ribbons in my Maggies don't attract any such similar attention,
why is that?

The ribbon tweeter in the better Maggies, although one of the very
best sonically, is in fact notoriously fragile, and seldom survived a
hi-fi show without becoming overstretched.

BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:

Start a new thread once anyone actually organizes and creates a bona
fide challenge fund. Then post it to a website set up for that purpose,
at least.

Until then, I call upon everyone to cease, desist and stop claiming that
such a fund or challenge exists except as a concept or nice idea.

I don't call that an "even pace".

Randy, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get us (well, me at least) to
the "funding" stage. The scenario I see for this is for someone (like
you for instance, but I don't mean this as a personal challege to you)
to offer up a proposal, stating what units they would like to compare,
and a brief description of the method they'd like to use to prove that
they can differentiate by sound alone.

With all due respect, this so-called "red herring challenge" had been
bandied about by certain vociferous posters here for several years
without any codification or action. You must be new to this?

I called for action something like TWO years back. (check the archives
on Google?)

I now call for either DROPPING THE CLAIM THAT THERE IS A $$ POT OF MONEY
FOR THIS CHALLENGE OR ELSE CREATING ONE!! That's all there is to our
part of the discussion.

The goal is to absolutely minimize post test complaints about methodology
- we've been through this all before you know.

In the words of Jeff Beck (Guitar Shop Album) "... nothing is being done..."

_-_-bear

Steve Maki

BEAR

Either 104dB or 125dB, for the range of available 'hi-fi' speakers.
But of course, you knew that.

Lets consider if it is played through speakers of a
typical low sensitivity, audiophile style (let's say 82-86dB SPL) at the
average in room listening level of 90dB at a distance of say 3 meters
away? Let's agree that many classical pieces (and others) have a ratio
of average to peak levels of 20 dB.

Actually, the current average is 87dB/w/m, so giving 107dB for peak
SPL under anechoic conditions, or around 110-113dB at the listening
position in an average listening room for a stereo pair, which is
pretty darned loud.

In fact, due to my nominally 84dB/w/m speakers being dipoles, and my
'50 watt' Krell pumping out a max of 27.4 volts rms into my speakers,
that's just about exactly what I get from my own system, and I don't
get many complaints that it won't play loudly enough.

Good.

Now let's consider what the distortion level of your Krell is at -3dB
down from clipping. Let's talk IM and THD. We find it is higher than one
might like.

Let's talk about what the *distortion* level of your Apogee speakers is
at -3dB down, and then back down at say -10 amd -20dB (the supposed
average listening level)? I'll even let you ignore that big bass
"ribbon" and concentrate on the tweeter ribbon or if it has one, the
midrange ribbon.

Whatcha measure?

What does the sum of ur amp distortion + speaker distortion look like vs
power level. Why not graph it and post it to a website?

Complaints about loudness are irrelevant.
The subject is not that.

_-_-bear

BEAR

BEAR wrote:

Your statements imply that below some "low" figure for raw "distortion"
that everything is therefore inaudible - ergo all amplifiers below some
threshold based on the raw distortion figures are going to sound the
same, since there will be no audible distortion, no?

You're implying that there are no known thresholds for human hearing, which
is absolute nonsense no matter what you say,

Where is that found??
You're making things up.
I clearly stated something about *your argument* - I did not state what
my hypothesis might actually be.

Furthermore my text clearly suggests a "threshold." Is there no
"threshold" for *raw distortion measurement* of an amplifier where all
amplifiers testing at or below that level will have no audible
distortion whatsoever? Or not?

and I'm not going to argue about
it. Furthermore, I and others have not singled out 'distortion' as the only
parameter of audible performance as there are linear and non linear
distortions and they all have different levels and conditions where they
generally become audible.

So, how *would* you then characterize amplifiers based upon measurement
alone?

Is not frequency response deviation a type of distortion?
Are not all distortions variations in amplitude vs the input signal?

OR, are you saying that you can NOT characterize amplifiers based upon
measurement alone?

As I clearly stated previously, if the noise is inaudible, something
below it is going to be inaudible.

A nice statement, but somewhat circular in the reasoning department?
What does this mean in practical terms?
How do *you* determine that a given DUT is going to have "inaudible"
artifacts/distortion?

Read the literature on human perception and use the methods that have been
developed to find out. Have you invented a better way? What is it? One
would think that you would have presented it somplace far more important
than here if you have.

If *I have*?? Me??
I thought YOU knew these things!!

Please illuminate the subject with an exposition on these issues for the
readers of *this* newsgroup!

The point is that many "objectivists" on this newsgroup have been
insisting that DBTs show that all amplifiers that measure below some
relatively modest level of distortion "sound the same" ergo they fall
below the level(s) or threshold(s) of human perception as far as any
audible differences. True or not?

Examples given include Bryston & Krell amplfiers of late 80s and early
90s vintage, and many Japanese receivers of "0.00X%" distortion. True or
not?

You're probably playing with delusion if you think that the folks working
on these newer distortion detection techniques are questioning the validity
of the blind listening protocols, but maybe I'm wrong. Show one that does.

Show what?
You show something.
So far you've been merely talking around the issues.
You've made no substantive statement that I have read.
Try doing that first.

Blind listening protocols?
What are they?

(lol) You can posture better than that!

I don't know what they are.
Cite a reference or two.
Online?

I know of no documentary information that makes the present "protocols"
meaningful...

Then you should read the literature on human hearing perception and
physiology. You can start with the books by Brian Moore. Zwicker and
Fastl has a lot on the physiology. You won't find much about the protocols
themselves in those books, but they will give you the background to understand
why they are accepted and valid in audio research and will point you where
you need to go. You should also read literature that's up to date, not old
stuff espousing discarded theories like cochlear amplifiers. Don't expect
a bumper sticker approach to yield much wisdom. They certainly are not
accepted as valid in high end audio MARKETING and for good reason.

Why not merely tell us what the appropriate approach should be?
I am sure that you could cover most of it in at most 2-3 posts of this
length... and far less than the hundreds of paragraphs that are posted
here on rahe by you each year.

So, the short answer is that you don't know why the Krell output stage
is going to measure differently than the Bryston of the same era, even
though the circuit is essentially identical?

The basic topology is the same, as you say. They use different circuit
enhancement details, devices, part values, operating points, etc.

You have no idea what the relative merits or tradeoffs in a Hawksford
type output stage might be vs. a Krell output stage, or which one will
measure better or worse?

I've never built or tested a Hawksford output stage, but have built power supply
buffers using the Sziklai circuit. It has some additional internal feedback
intrinsic to the circuit itself, with the resultant advantages and disadvantages.
(mostly an advantage depending on what you're after) It is more prone to
oscillations, but those problems can usually be solved. The pertanent question
is: is it necessary to go to the trouble to do this in practical terms?

I agree - this is a pertinent question.
Perhaps THE question.

The flip side of THE question is do these techiniques change anything in
terms of the harmonic (distortion) series produced in steady state or
transient conditions, and are *these* significant?

It's starting to look like it's not quite straightforward, as some
apparently still believe and most apparently previously thought.

The point, my friend, is that the interface between a "standard"
high-end or consumer speaker and a given amplifier is *not at all
simple* and not at all straighforward in terms of the sonic results.

Just to season the pudding a bit, you seem to agree that there is some
"threshold" above which (no matter how simplistically or complex the
definition of said "threshold" may be) you can and *will* hear the
effect of "distortion." It is not a far leap to consider the *additive*
effect of the average speaker's distortion in *best case* being for the
sake of argument *just below or at the threshold of detection* - with
the understanding that with increases in level *most* common drivers
increase in linear and especially non-linear distortions substantially
increasing with greater levels - and that amplifiers will *also*
increase substantially in distortion with level AND with variations in
load impedance and phase angle (which, btw non-feedback amps are far
less sensitive to this effect... fyi) SO one can see that given the
right conditions, which often occur, amplifier/speaker combinations
*can* and *do* reach into that zone of "threshold".

I can't disagree, except about the 'often' part.

Well, that's where we diverge... the question is how far is that
divergence, and would we not diverge at all IF the test conditions that
you are familiar with were closer to the test conditions that I am
familiar with?

(...and I am thinking more about the base line distortion(s) of the
*system* being used for the testing, more than anything else...)

My view is that it happens far more often than most people and systems
are likely to make recognize. Merely "accepting" that this is how things
are supposed to sound is what I have observed to be the case most often.

The reason that the large "overkill" flagship amplifier that I build is
built like that is that this design *reduces* the likelyhood of such
events (reaching the threshold of audible distortion) ever occurring.
You can hear that difference when it is presented as a choice. DBT or not.

DBT? Then step up to the plate and show it now that you've made the
claim. I would be very impressed if you could. However whenever you're
asked this, you get evasive. What's to fear if you're so confident about
it? Use your system or any other you deem to be revealing enough. Let's
do it!

When are you coming up?
Who is putting up this alleged money, OR finally admitting that no one
is actually going to do so?

Or, should we merely ignore that aspect?

If the system &/or amplifier(s) being utilized in the DBT or other
listening "test" *both* fail to limit themselves in terms of additive
distortion(s), depending on the similarity or lack of similarity of this
"failure" one may or may not be able to detect which is which.

I totally agree. The rest of the system should not hinder the test.

Alas! ALL of the tests that I am presently aware of that have been done,
or *claim* to have delivered "proof" on these issues in my view have
been extremely flawed and limited.

(nor am I suggesting that there are any systems that are perfect either,
just that there are critical areas that should NOT be compromised ever
and some that can stand a degree of compromise - how those are chosen
makes a big diff on what can or can not be heard)

However, if one has had extensive experience with extremely low
distortion *systems* one is more likely to simply be able to state that
the thing just doesn't sound that good, or isn't sufficiently capable.

No, that's not a reliable way to do audio testing, but maybe the best way
to find out what you like.

How's that?

Ya can't test for what ya can't hear.
Ya can't test for what ya can't reproduce!

It is extremely difficult to a) hear what is missing and b) hear past
anything that serves to mask subtle detail - and that includes
physiological "hearing shift". (ie. don't try a listening test after
driving 20 miles... etc.)

You conflicting several issues here but I totally agree with what's in the
parentheses. I always wear earplugs when driving long distances.

Let me just add that *most* speakers are NOT particularly low distortion
devices, so it is then reasonable to say that sufficiently low
distortion amps are sufficient, OR that suitably euphonic amplifiers are
a *benefit*. There *are* some speakers and drivers that are notably low
in distortion, (and there are all sorts of factors to take into account
in speakers) but these are still relatively few and far between - not
commonly found in the audiophile's LR.

Start listening through speakers with the *lowest* available distortion
and your opinion of what is audible and what is not is likely to shift
somewhat, if not change outright (assuming that you and I still have
some HF response left...) :- )

Start by considering tweeters. Work from there.

All speakers are pretty bad really, but that's what we have. Recordings are
even worse. The best speaker I've ever heard was John Iverson's so-called
'force field' which had no bass and wouldn't play over about 75dB. It had
some documented frequency response irregularities, (as did a flame speaker
a friend built) but I've never heard anything so clean and transparent in
the midrange and high frequencies since. I don't know if any distortion
measurements were ever done on them and I'm not familiar with any such data
on other massless speakers experimenters have built. Are you?

Yes.

Hill Plasmatronics, Ionovac, Magnats, etc... and clones.

But to say that "all speakers are pretty bad..." is to avoid the
underlying issues and point! IF you posit that with "all speakers being
pretty bad" that it is impossible to determine differences in
amplifiers, then you have to start investigating this issue and
determine if the threshold of audibility of speaker distortion can be
reduced in one or more areas to the point where *other* sources of
distortion start to become clear and evident.

So far, afaik, the DBT'ers that have published have not adequately
considered this issue, have not done adequate measurements or controls
on this factor(s) so have missed the boat entirely in terms of
adequately determining much more than the results of a specific test,
with specific test conditions. No way to quarrel with the results of a
specific test in specific test conditions. The QUESTION is *do these
test conditions actually TELL US anything of general value?* I say no.

Other than to say that in general, for many systems many things will not
be clearly discerned that otherwise might be - so (yes) "all amplifiers
of sufficiently low distortion will sound the same."

Hope you've got my point now. And that it is clear.

Steve Maki

On 3 Sep 2005 14:49:36 GMT, BEAR wrote:

[...]

No, I'm a veteran. I dare say I saw you arrive on these groups.

I called for action something like TWO years back. (check the archives
on Google?)

YOU called for action, yes. And that means we're supposed to jump,
right? It doesn't work like that Randy.

I now call for either DROPPING THE CLAIM THAT THERE IS A $$ POT OF MONEY
FOR THIS CHALLENGE OR ELSE CREATING ONE!! That's all there is to our
part of the discussion.

You're basically calling us liars Randy.

I've told you what it would take to get us to the funding stage.

It's a very minimum requirement. If it's too much to ask, then
you're right - that's all there is to our discussion.

It's all about good faith. We've publically committed the funds,
the next TINY step is up to you. If we don't come through after
that, then crow all you want.

Steve Maki

BEAR wrote:
wrote:
BEAR wrote:

Your statements imply that below some "low" figure for raw "distortion"
that everything is therefore inaudible - ergo all amplifiers below some
threshold based on the raw distortion figures are going to sound the
same, since there will be no audible distortion, no?

You're implying that there are no known thresholds for human hearing, which
is absolute nonsense no matter what you say,

Where is that found??

Egad. I gave you standard references. Go read them if you haven't.

You're making things up.

A laughable and disgusting smear, since I gave you references. If you want another
that gives you historical perspective, there's Fletcher.

I clearly stated something about *your argument* - I did not state what
my hypothesis might actually be.

Furthermore my text clearly suggests a "threshold." Is there no
"threshold" for *raw distortion measurement* of an amplifier where all
amplifiers testing at or below that level will have no audible
distortion whatsoever? Or not?

There is no aggregate number as I already said, yet you ask the question
again.

and I'm not going to argue about
it. Furthermore, I and others have not singled out 'distortion' as the only
parameter of audible performance as there are linear and non linear
distortions and they all have different levels and conditions where they
generally become audible.

So, how *would* you then characterize amplifiers based upon measurement
alone?

Extremely conservative numbers would be:

THD & IM; 20-20K: .1%
FR: 20-20K +/- .1 dB
Output impedance: .1 ohm
Noise: -100dB below
Unconditionally stable into any speaker load: i.e. above performance
maintained under such loads.

In the vast majority of cases, the above is far more than necessary.

I thought YOU knew these things!!

Please illuminate the subject with an exposition on these issues for the
readers of *this* newsgroup!

Why? Those that were here who know the subject in their sleep who have tried
to enlighten and have left this place in frustration, because of the endless
arguments from those who argue about fundamental points with no or little
facts or evidence. Very, very few minds have been changed. I was prompted
to reevaluate what I formerly believed, study some more on my own, and satisfy
myself by doing some of my own blind listening, but that seems to be rare.
You seem to think that it's just some sort of decision folks make to 'authority.'
How could my relatively meager knowledge do any better than those who used to
be here, whose efforts were mostly mocked? Posting here seems to be some sort
of disease, and a time wasting 'sport.' A disease that is cured by just
leaving.

The point is that many "objectivists" on this newsgroup have been
insisting that DBTs show that all amplifiers that measure below some
relatively modest level of distortion "sound the same" ergo they fall
below the level(s) or threshold(s) of human perception as far as any
audible differences. True or not?

Yes. Debated here ad nauseum.

Examples given include Bryston & Krell amplfiers of late 80s and early
90s vintage, and many Japanese receivers of "0.00X%" distortion. True or
not?

Those claims have been made. They are not true in all cases. My example of
that would be using the stereotypical 'Japanese receiver' to drive really
difficult loads and etc. This has been hashed over here ad nauseum.

You're probably playing with delusion if you think that the folks working
on these newer distortion detection techniques are questioning the validity
of the blind listening protocols, but maybe I'm wrong. Show one that does.

Show what?
You show something.
So far you've been merely talking around the issues.
You've made no substantive statement that I have read.
Try doing that first.

Blind listening protocols?
What are they?

(lol) You can posture better than that!

I don't know what they are.
Cite a reference or two.
Online?

Mentioned and debated here ad nauseum.

As before, you are just absurdly postering here trying to draw me into
another endless argument about blind testing in an attempt to score some
'points' in this tempest in a teapot group. I don't know why I'm even
responding to this. Like I said, a disease. But thank you for helping
me decide to quit posting here. Maybe that's your goal. You win. Hooray
for Randy! Hooray for RAHE!

I've never built or tested a Hawksford output stage, but have built power supply
buffers using the Sziklai circuit. It has some additional internal feedback
intrinsic to the circuit itself, with the resultant advantages and disadvantages.
(mostly an advantage depending on what you're after) It is more prone to
oscillations, but those problems can usually be solved. The pertanent question
is: is it necessary to go to the trouble to do this in practical terms?

I agree - this is a pertinent question.
Perhaps THE question.

The flip side of THE question is do these techiniques change anything in
terms of the harmonic (distortion) series produced in steady state or
transient conditions, and are *these* significant?

It's starting to look like it's not quite straightforward, as some
apparently still believe and most apparently previously thought.

It's not straightforward and never has been in academic terms. In the last
25 years, it has become more straightforward in listening terms. The
so-called 'conventional wisdom' could be wrong about that, but without
more evidence that is more than arbitrary personal opinion, every passing
day increases the weight of evidence otherwise.

I can't disagree, except about the 'often' part.

Well, that's where we diverge... the question is how far is that
divergence, and would we not diverge at all IF the test conditions that
you are familiar with were closer to the test conditions that I am
familiar with?

(...and I am thinking more about the base line distortion(s) of the
*system* being used for the testing, more than anything else...)

AFAIK, you haven't ever specified your test conditions.

[...]

I don't advocate making it a bet. That's where I part company with some
others here, as it only adds noise to what is already an unproductive roar.

If the system &/or amplifier(s) being utilized in the DBT or other
listening "test" *both* fail to limit themselves in terms of additive
distortion(s), depending on the similarity or lack of similarity of this
"failure" one may or may not be able to detect which is which.

I totally agree. The rest of the system should not hinder the test.

Alas! ALL of the tests that I am presently aware of that have been done,
or *claim* to have delivered "proof" on these issues in my view have
been extremely flawed and limited.

AFAIK, you have not specified specifically what you do that is better.

(nor am I suggesting that there are any systems that are perfect either,
just that there are critical areas that should NOT be compromised ever
and some that can stand a degree of compromise - how those are chosen
makes a big diff on what can or can not be heard)

However, if one has had extensive experience with extremely low
distortion *systems* one is more likely to simply be able to state that
the thing just doesn't sound that good, or isn't sufficiently capable.

No, that's not a reliable way to do audio testing, but maybe the best way
to find out what you like.

How's that?

Debated here ad nauseum.

So far, afaik, the DBT'ers that have published have not adequately
considered this issue, have not done adequate measurements or controls
on this factor(s) so have missed the boat entirely in terms of
adequately determining much more than the results of a specific test,
with specific test conditions. No way to quarrel with the results of a
specific test in specific test conditions. The QUESTION is *do these
test conditions actually TELL US anything of general value?* I say no.

You can look at the trend, which helps determine the weight of evidence in
any human endevour. It's like an asymtote. That doesn't mean the trend
won't change in the future. That concept is one of the cornerstones of
science as much as weight of evidence. One makes a decision on the weight
of evidence.

I have NEVER said the results of such tests are absolute universal generalities
of the trVth. Some sometimes seem to come closer to that than I'm comfortable
with when they make direct parallels with mathematical axioms. I simply
think arguments over empirical evidence should be based and validated on what is
known rather than something that is speculation.

Good bye.

BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:
snip

No, I'm a veteran. I dare say I saw you arrive on these groups.

I strongly doubt that.

I started on the internet with an email address that ended in .BITNET...
did you?

I called for action something like TWO years back. (check the archives
on Google?)

YOU called for action, yes. And that means we're supposed to jump,
right? It doesn't work like that Randy.

Sorry, Steve, if you and others want to claim that you or "others" who
are supposed to be involved in this are *offering* this money as a
challenge then it is incumbent upon you and/or the "others" to first
back up YOUR CHALLENGE.

You've got your horse hitched up backwards, and ur apparently looking at
the wrong end of things!

I now call for either DROPPING THE CLAIM THAT THERE IS A $$ POT OF MONEY
FOR THIS CHALLENGE OR ELSE CREATING ONE!! That's all there is to our
part of the discussion.

You're basically calling us liars Randy.

If there is no money anywhere to be had or found, then there is no
challenge, just hyperbole. Is that what it is? You tell everyone on rahe
which one it is.

I've told you what it would take to get us to the funding stage.

It's a very minimum requirement. If it's too much to ask, then
you're right - that's all there is to our discussion.

It's all about good faith. We've publically committed the funds,
the next TINY step is up to you. If we don't come through after
that, then crow all you want.

What step?

Either you commit the funds, or you don't.
Either you post a clear statement of EXACTLY WHAT THE CHALLENGE CONSISTS
OF or else there is NOTHING that anybody could possible DO!

Since there is a legal aspect to such "offers", it is a REQUIREMENT that
the terms and conditions sufficient and necessary for capturing the
challenge "prize" of $$ be completely and unambiguously clear - that
REQUIRES DOCUMENTATION.

Where's the documentation??

Either you all are going to be serious in this regard, or you're going
to get called on the carpet whenever you make facetious claims about
this thing being real.

_-_-bear

Steve Maki

BEAR

BEAR wrote:

wrote:

BEAR wrote:

Your statements imply that below some "low" figure for raw "distortion"
that everything is therefore inaudible - ergo all amplifiers below some
threshold based on the raw distortion figures are going to sound the
same, since there will be no audible distortion, no?

You're implying that there are no known thresholds for human hearing, which
is absolute nonsense no matter what you say,

Where is that found??

Egad. I gave you standard references. Go read them if you haven't.

No, jj, I said where is it found that I SAID as much??

You're making things up.

A laughable and disgusting smear, since I gave you references. If you want another
that gives you historical perspective, there's Fletcher.

Seems like you're off into your own world here... assuming something was
said that is not in evidence...

I clearly stated something about *your argument* - I did not state what
my hypothesis might actually be.

Furthermore my text clearly suggests a "threshold." Is there no
"threshold" for *raw distortion measurement* of an amplifier where all
amplifiers testing at or below that level will have no audible
distortion whatsoever? Or not?

There is no aggregate number as I already said, yet you ask the question
again.

I said "threshold" not an aggregate number. "Threshold" in this context
can be taken to mean any combination of factors. And yes, I understand
that hearing "thresholds" are not constants, ok?

But even so are you saying that there is no measurable threshold as we
now know it that below that level any given amplifier will have no
audible distortion?

Why not answer this question directly?

and I'm not going to argue about
it. Furthermore, I and others have not singled out 'distortion' as the only
parameter of audible performance as there are linear and non linear
distortions and they all have different levels and conditions where they
generally become audible.

So, how *would* you then characterize amplifiers based upon measurement
alone?

Extremely conservative numbers would be:

THD & IM; 20-20K: .1%
FR: 20-20K +/- .1 dB
Output impedance: .1 ohm
Noise: -100dB below
Unconditionally stable into any speaker load: i.e. above performance
maintained under such loads.

In the vast majority of cases, the above is far more than necessary.

Really? That's good enough?

So, then my question is how many "amplifiers" meet your above mentioned
criteria??

[...]

Odd... since for the most part I've not participated in rahe for the
last year... I have come back to find people, as in this thread, talking
about things that are at least in my opinion rather questionable and
doing so with a fairly strong dogmatic and rhetorical tone.

The point is that many "objectivists" on this newsgroup have been
insisting that DBTs show that all amplifiers that measure below some
relatively modest level of distortion "sound the same" ergo they fall
below the level(s) or threshold(s) of human perception as far as any
audible differences. True or not?

Yes. Debated here ad nauseum.

Examples given include Bryston & Krell amplfiers of late 80s and early
90s vintage, and many Japanese receivers of "0.00X%" distortion. True or
not?

Those claims have been made. They are not true in all cases. My example of
that would be using the stereotypical 'Japanese receiver' to drive really
difficult loads and etc. This has been hashed over here ad nauseum.

Hashed? Yeah, but whenever the "rubber hits the road" the "debate"
always returns to "well it's not audible, because a DBT has showed that
it is not audible..." The fact of the matter remains that there are all
sorts of effects that can be measured when an amplifier is connected to
a real world load - as you well know. The question at hand is when and
if any of said "effects" can be audible.

An example was my question about the Hawksford vs. Krell output stage
topology...

I maintain that a significant portion of these "effects" are indeed
audible - more become audible as the inherent distortion(s) in the
system are systematically reduced.

Oddly enough Geddes work seems to say that I am at least partially right
about this...

Furthermore, most of these things are high frequency effects, so they
may be more clearly perceived IF your HF hearing is good - AND the
system (test conditions) are sufficiently high "quality."

snip

Blind listening protocols?
What are they?

(lol) You can posture better than that!

I don't know what they are.
Cite a reference or two.
Online?

Mentioned and debated here ad nauseum.

As before, you are just absurdly postering here trying to draw me into
another endless argument about blind testing in an attempt to score some
'points' in this tempest in a teapot group. I don't know why I'm even
responding to this. Like I said, a disease. But thank you for helping
me decide to quit posting here. Maybe that's your goal. You win. Hooray
for Randy! Hooray for RAHE!

Geez, jj, you're pretty thin skinned?
Did someone force you to read my posts or this thread?
Force you to post?
Think not.

The odd thing is that my viewpoint and yours are not really all that far
apart.

But the points that I keep bringing up regarding the conditions that
these "tests" are made in are consitantly ignored. Makes me wonder about
that.

Which is why I bring up the issue of "protocols"... certain aspects seem
to be not considered.

snip

It's starting to look like it's not quite straightforward, as some
apparently still believe and most apparently previously thought.

It's not straightforward and never has been in academic terms. In the last
25 years, it has become more straightforward in listening terms. The
so-called 'conventional wisdom' could be wrong about that, but without
more evidence that is more than arbitrary personal opinion, every passing
day increases the weight of evidence otherwise.

Have you read Geddes paper(s) then?
How about Shorter's work?

I can't disagree, except about the 'often' part.

Well, that's where we diverge... the question is how far is that
divergence, and would we not diverge at all IF the test conditions that
you are familiar with were closer to the test conditions that I am
familiar with?

(...and I am thinking more about the base line distortion(s) of the
*system* being used for the testing, more than anything else...)

AFAIK, you haven't ever specified your test conditions.

My test conditions?

How did they become mine?

I'm looking at issues that seem evident in those published tests to date.

People are claiming absolute truth based on these tests. Right?

snip

Or, should we merely ignore that aspect?

I don't advocate making it a bet. That's where I part company with some
others here, as it only adds noise to what is already an unproductive roar.

If the system &/or amplifier(s) being utilized in the DBT or other
listening "test" *both* fail to limit themselves in terms of additive
distortion(s), depending on the similarity or lack of similarity of this
"failure" one may or may not be able to detect which is which.

I totally agree. The rest of the system should not hinder the test.

Alas! ALL of the tests that I am presently aware of that have been done,
or *claim* to have delivered "proof" on these issues in my view have
been extremely flawed and limited.

AFAIK, you have not specified specifically what you do that is better.

One point that I clearly made is that at *minimum* the HF reproducting
apparatus needs to be as low in distortion as is available. I am unaware
that any of these tests even considered the inherent distortion of the
reproducers. Can you tell me otherwise?

Would you EXPECT to hear differences between amplifiers where the
differences range in the 0.1% of signal level by listening to speakers
that generate 0.1% distortion levels, increasing in linear and
non-linear amounts with increasing SPL?

In effect, this is what the tests to date have done, as far as I can see.

Have I missed something?

(nor am I suggesting that there are any systems that are perfect either,
just that there are critical areas that should NOT be compromised ever
and some that can stand a degree of compromise - how those are chosen
makes a big diff on what can or can not be heard)

However, if one has had extensive experience with extremely low
distortion *systems* one is more likely to simply be able to state that
the thing just doesn't sound that good, or isn't sufficiently capable.

No, that's not a reliable way to do audio testing, but maybe the best way
to find out what you like.

How's that?

Debated here ad nauseum.

Right, debated.

But somehow whenever it is brought up, the issue of *low distortion
speakers* is *ignored* entirely! Why is that?

So far, afaik, the DBT'ers that have published have not adequately
considered this issue, have not done adequate measurements or controls
on this factor(s) so have missed the boat entirely in terms of
adequately determining much more than the results of a specific test,
with specific test conditions. No way to quarrel with the results of a
specific test in specific test conditions. The QUESTION is *do these
test conditions actually TELL US anything of general value?* I say no.

You can look at the trend, which helps determine the weight of evidence in
any human endevour. It's like an asymtote. That doesn't mean the trend
won't change in the future. That concept is one of the cornerstones of
science as much as weight of evidence. One makes a decision on the weight
of evidence.

The evidence is that MP3 with significant compression is more than good
enough to convey music to people. As was FM radio, Cassette tape, and
before that AM radio.

I have NEVER said the results of such tests are absolute universal generalities
of the trVth. Some sometimes seem to come closer to that than I'm comfortable
with when they make direct parallels with mathematical axioms. I simply
think arguments over empirical evidence should be based and validated on what is
known rather than something that is speculation.

Yeah, so?
Where do you find that I disagree with your last statement? Except that
in the last sentence you in effect are saying that known theory can not
and should not be questioned until something new comes along to supplant
it! Not a good plan.

I find few who jump into this issue as "objectivists" on rahe *ever*
saying things that are in the least bit tempered or shaded - the
tendency of the vociferous "objectivists" is that of a crusade, either
you're one of us or not, and it's either "snake-oil" or else there's
objectively "no difference if it is compentently made and designed -
DBTs are absolute proof".

My last question, jj, is where or how did you come into this thread and
put yourself into the role you are denying in the last paragraph??
Others have rather strongly stated that they hold "absolute universal
generalities of ...truth"! I'm sure you can read that as well as I can.

My position - again - is that thus far the tests that have been done,
that I know of, are often flawed and in particular often use equipment
that I question the performance capability; is it sufficiently close to
or equal to the performance of the ear/brain combination or somewhat
short of that? Likely it is substantially below that level. The
significance is simply that results flowing from said "tests" are
extremely limited in terms of what "truths" are absolute. Furthermore,
afaik, no control or measurement has been made that indicates the
measured performance of either the reproducers nor the rest of the
system that would give a basis for *assuming* the capability of the
reproduction chain. Merely to assert its sufficiency is insufficient,
imho. Yours?

On the other hand, tests with this sort of "flawed" equipment *has shown
itself to be sufficient* for some very smart and educated people to
develop all sorts of things, including compression algorithms like MP3...

Good bye.

_-_-bear

Steve Maki

On 5 Sep 2005 15:10:44 GMT, BEAR wrote:

No, I'm a veteran. I dare say I saw you arrive on these groups.

I strongly doubt that.

I started on the internet with an email address that ended in .BITNET...
did you?

You've got me there. I was a late arrival to the computer world (1990)
and was "on" almost immediately, but that was after bitnet's heyday. At
any rate, I've followed the aforementioned topics closely right from the
beginning.

I called for action something like TWO years back. (check the archives
on Google?)

YOU called for action, yes. And that means we're supposed to jump,
right? It doesn't work like that Randy.

Sorry, Steve, if you and others want to claim that you or "others" who
are supposed to be involved in this are *offering* this money as a
challenge then it is incumbent upon you and/or the "others" to first
back up YOUR CHALLENGE.

You've got your horse hitched up backwards, and ur apparently looking at
the wrong end of things!

In your opinion.

[...]

I can see where this is headed, and I'm not going to get sucked into
long drawn out exchanges about it, but here's my view:

This is an informal but serious offer. The reason it's informal at this
point is that:

1) We are open to many diferent scenarios depending on what type of
demonstration the challenger would feel comfortable with. As I said,
we are trying to minimize post-test complaints.

Once someone expresses an interest and offers a preliminary proposal,
open discussions about details could be firmed up rapidly. Either the
discussions lead to mutually agreeable terms, or they don't. They
would be mostly public, so the gentle readers could form their own
opinions about whether good faith efforts were being made.

2) As I said before, I don't want to tie up my money or encourage
others to do so, or spend a lot of time researching all the legal
fine points until we at least get a preliminary proposal out there.

My own vision, as far as the money goes, was to simply send the funds
to a neutral third party, probably an RAHE participant, whose identity
is agreed upon by both sides. But that can't happen till we know who
the other side is...

3) The effort required to put up an all encompassing "legal contract"
which didn't have loopholes through which the unscrupulous could slip
would be huge, and require a team of lawyers.

Much better, IMO, to focus on a particular challenger and his own
ideas about what he thinks he can hear, and work up to formal terms
from there.

In short, a "serious" offer does not have to be formal at this point.

And that's all I'm going to say about it. I think.

BTW, I agree that the "Challenge" is used as a hammer too often, and
also that the money issue probably adds some noise to the topic.

But exasperation causes **** to happen.

Steve Maki

BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:
snip

I can see where this is headed, and I'm not going to get sucked into
long drawn out exchanges about it, but here's my view:

This is an informal but serious offer. The reason it's informal at this
point is that:

1) We are open to many diferent scenarios depending on what type of
demonstration the challenger would feel comfortable with. As I said,
we are trying to minimize post-test complaints.

A) who is "we"? who do you speak for?
B) suggest some scenarios? which are favored? which, btw, are not?
C) make some sort of concrete proposal

Once someone expresses an interest and offers a preliminary proposal,
open discussions about details could be firmed up rapidly. Either the
discussions lead to mutually agreeable terms, or they don't. They
would be mostly public, so the gentle readers could form their own
opinions about whether good faith efforts were being made.

D) this is bass-ackwards. it's "your" challenge, you don't make an open
challenge and then ask comers to set terms! state your basic terms.
then if they seem plausible, potential respondants can decide if they
wish to participate or discuss...

2) As I said before, I don't want to tie up my money or encourage
others to do so, or spend a lot of time researching all the legal
fine points until we at least get a preliminary proposal out there.

E) not much to tie up or research. that's what an escrow service does.
F) fine, get a preliminary proposal "out there."
G) don't mention anything about the thing until "you" (whomever that may
be...) do get some proposal concocted.

My own vision, as far as the money goes, was to simply send the funds
to a neutral third party, probably an RAHE participant, whose identity
is agreed upon by both sides. But that can't happen till we know who
the other side is...

H) I don't see how it matters who the "other side" may be - a neutral
third party is still a neutral third party - although an escrow service
seems more appropriate to me. But then the proponents would have to do
more than just talk?

J) the idea that there is an "other side" merely highlights the
adversarial concept that far too many regular participants of this forum
begin every discussion with...

3) The effort required to put up an all encompassing "legal contract"
which didn't have loopholes through which the unscrupulous could slip
would be huge, and require a team of lawyers.

K) hardly - what is there that will keep those who claim to be putting
up this money from backing out if they should "lose" the "challenge"?
L) why would any potential "challenger" waste time and effort (not to
mention money) on taking on a "challenge" that is so nebulous??

Much better, IMO, to focus on a particular challenger and his own
ideas about what he thinks he can hear, and work up to formal terms
from there.

M) so, there is no clear "challenge" then? how can this "challenge" be
specific to one person?? Something wrong with this picture.

In short, a "serious" offer does not have to be formal at this point.

N) au contraire. it does, or else it is "snake oil", smoke, lights, and
mirrors. At this juncture there is not one thing that is clear, nor
firm, nor certain about it other than the use of its alleged existence
as a debating tool - to be polite about it.

And that's all I'm going to say about it. I think.

BTW, I agree that the "Challenge" is used as a hammer too often, and
also that the money issue probably adds some noise to the topic.

But exasperation causes **** to happen.

O) what causes action?

_-_-bear

Steve Maki

Harry Lavo

"Steve Maki" wrote in message
[...]

I've got to say that I find this somewhat preposterous. You can draw the
design as loose or as tight as you want; agree if the site is to be in
testers home or a neutral spot; agree on a proceedure for agreeing on the
equipment chain; agree on how to pick the proctors, etc. and it should be in
writing. Then at least promissory notes should be placed in escrow with the
proviso that if the test is agreed to within the written guidelines and the
participant wins the test, he/she gets the money. Without at least that
level of commitment you are totally free to duck if a serious challenge
appears...as Stewart just did by...oh, by the way, no Audionote.

Steve Maki

On 6 Sep 2005 23:09:48 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

I've got to say that I find this somewhat preposterous. You can draw the
design as loose or as tight as you want; agree if the site is to be in
testers home or a neutral spot; agree on a proceedure for agreeing on the
equipment chain; agree on how to pick the proctors, etc. and it should be in
writing. Then at least promissory notes should be placed in escrow with the
proviso that if the test is agreed to within the written guidelines and the
participant wins the test, he/she gets the money. Without at least that
level of commitment you are totally free to duck if a serious challenge
appears...as Stewart just did by...oh, by the way, no Audionote.

Preposterous? Yes, I think I agree with you Harry.

I'm trying to make sure the test means something. Why else would
it be worth money to me? It's NOT a bet, where I can make money
if I "win". I don't think we'd win any "points" by specifying
a rigid test and then having everyone, including the testee,
complaining about it after the fact.

IMO the only chance this excercise has for any meaning (and then just
in the narrow confines of RAHE) would be for someone to test themselves
and get good at it in the comfort of their own system - and THEN show
it to the world, as it were. This procedure eliminates a number of
issues that people harp about, i.e. "untrained" listeners and unfamiliar
systems.

That said, I agree that some basic rules should be drawn up.

Steve Maki

BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:
On 6 Sep 2005 23:09:48 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Preposterous? Yes, I think I agree with you Harry.

I'm trying to make sure the test means something. Why else would
it be worth money to me? It's NOT a bet, where I can make money
if I "win". I don't think we'd win any "points" by specifying
a rigid test and then having everyone, including the testee,
complaining about it after the fact.

IMO the only chance this excercise has for any meaning (and then just
in the narrow confines of RAHE) would be for someone to test themselves
and get good at it in the comfort of their own system - and THEN show
it to the world, as it were. This procedure eliminates a number of
issues that people harp about, i.e. "untrained" listeners and unfamiliar
systems.

That said, I agree that some basic rules should be drawn up.

Steve Maki

Excuse me??

That is NOT the point, Dear Steve.

Certain posters have already, and often made the CLAIM of this MONEY
being OFFERED as a "Challenge" which they claim "no one" is brave enough
to take on!!

The issue of "meaning" is irrelevant to the present discussion.

EITHER THERE IS MONEY BEING OFFERED - OR THERE IS NOT.

Which one do you say it is?
IF the latter - let's have at least *you* cease and desist the claim and
the support for those who still persist in this mythic and non-existant
"challenge." Ok?

Can you agree on that?

_-_-bear

PS. I have *never* made a complaint about "unfamiliar systems" -
although there may or may not be some issues surrounding the
participants in the perception part of the testing... but still not one
of my big points to make on this issue.

BEAR

Steven Sullivan wrote:

BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 23:44:49 GMT, wrote:

"Personally, I have never heard a Bryston that didn't sound hard,"

The perfect candidate to take the $5000 standing prize for demonstrating
the ability to hear a difference, any difference, in the type of amps
mentioned in this thread.

We've danced this dance before, but the music always stops before
Randy gets on the floor. Randy will make lots of noise, but he will
eventually duck the challenge on some pretext - even though he sells
'audiophile' cables, never mind amplifiers. Check out his 'BEAR Labs'
website to get a better idea of what this guy is *really* about....

Hmmm... I thought this sort of post was not going to be permitted any more?

Well, everyone please do look at my website.

And, Stewie, where is THE MONEY THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY PUT UP FOR THIS
GROUPS CHALLENGE? Nowhere. All talk, no action, eh?

I'm still in for $100, as I wrote on RAHE in this post a few years back:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...8ea21 7bde947

I'll be happy to donate it to an escrow account if it will stop your
yelling.

My yelling? C'mon Sullivan! Really!

You're now only $4,900 short IF you actually were to follow through in a
manner that was *objectively* testable!

Why don't you and the others cease claiming that this "challenge" exists
in reality, it is only a fantasy and a nice warm fuzzy idea at best.

Ok?

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years
back." Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now
isn't it?

_-_-bear

Steven Sullivan

Steve Maki wrote:
[...]

A amp seller was set to do exactly that for Tom Nousaine this summer, having
already done the testing themsevles/getting good at it part...but
last I heard he hadn't managed to find time to meet Tom yet.

--

-S

Pat Wallace

In article , BEAR wrote:
:
EITHER THERE IS MONEY BEING OFFERED - OR THERE IS NOT.
:

Yes, there is money being offered. I believe I pledged $500,
so here's a renewal. Now, it should come as no suprise that
if I am to offer money with no possible financial profit -
only to prove a point - I am going to be pretty cautious
about the terms of the test before I put the amount into
escrow. You are being given the opportunity to define those
terms.

The impression your postings give is not so much that you don't
believe there is money being offered, but that you don't WANT
it to be true.

Patrick Wallace

Stewart Pinkerton

On 9 Sep 2005 03:50:34 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Certain posters have already, and often made the CLAIM of this MONEY
being OFFERED as a "Challenge" which they claim "no one" is brave enough
to take on!!

The issue of "meaning" is irrelevant to the present discussion.

EITHER THERE IS MONEY BEING OFFERED - OR THERE IS NOT.

Which one do you say it is?

There is money being offered.

IF the latter - let's have at least *you* cease and desist the claim and
the support for those who still persist in this mythic and non-existant
"challenge." Ok?

The challenge is real, and has existed for some six years. If you are
not prepared to demonstrate that your 'Silver Lightning; cables really
do sound different from zipcord - to your own ears in your own system,
will *you* remove them from your BEAR Labs website?

Steve Maki

[...]

Hell no I can't agree with that, no matter how much you wish it were
true.

Ok, so your hang up is the money.

Send me your address and I'll send a check, Dear Randy. Deposit it
in your account, verify that it clears. I trust that if no one answers
the challenge after a couple of months, you'll send it back.

Now, if you are thinking of trying yourself, you might prefer a third
party to hold the money. How about Harry Lavo, if he agrees? I'd feel
comfortable with Harry holding my money.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself in this matter.

Steve Maki

Chung

Steve Maki wrote:

[...]

If we are talking about getting Randy to do the cable test (silver
cables vs copper of the same gauge), I'll even let Harry hold my $500 .

Steve Maki

Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Steve Maki wrote:
[...]

I thought that if it was to be done in his home, then it is Tom who is
supposed to meet hime. Is it possiblt that it is Tom who does not have the
time?

And there is a good bet that if his results hold up with Tom, there will be
many here on RAHE who will find post-test reasons why the test was not
optimal and the money should not / will not be paid. Acceptable test
conditions *must* be laid out in advance, or the whole thing is a charade.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Sep 2005 02:52:18 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Why don't you and the others cease claiming that this "challenge" exists
in reality, it is only a fantasy and a nice warm fuzzy idea at best.

Nope, it's real, the only thing lacking is a subjectivist with enough
confidence in his own claims to take the test. Still selling those
'Silver Lightning' cables that you *claim* sound different from
zipcord?

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years
back." Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now
isn't it?

Indeed it is, since you refused to step up to the plate then, and
you're still manufacturing excuses after all these years.

"BEAR" wrote in message
Steven Sullivan wrote:

BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

This isn't a bet, is it? As far as I can tell, there's no downside for
Randy. He either gets the money or he doesn't. In no case will he lose any
of his own.

If I thought I could pass the test, I would make an effort to TAKE it--not
avoid it by throwing up dozens of picayune objections.

Norm Strong

Steven Sullivan

BEAR wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

A man who hawks audio cables is chiding others about fantasy and warm fuzzy ideas?

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years
back." Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now
isn't it?

Nope, the offer stands. When are you going to take us up on it?

--

-S

Harry Lavo

wrote in message
"BEAR" wrote in message

snip ealier Sullivan/BEAR discussion

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years back."
Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now isn't
it?

This isn't a bet, is it? As far as I can tell, there's no downside for
Randy. He either gets the money or he doesn't. In no case will he lose
any
of his own.

If I thought I could pass the test, I would make an effort to TAKE it--not
avoid it by throwing up dozens of picayune objections.

Norm Strong

Norm, there is not a high trust level between the two camps. And there is
much more than money involved...there is crowing or face saving to be had on
one side or the other. So for those reasons, their has to be some form of
agreement in place before the event to set some parameters on attempted
evasion afterwards.

Why are the objectivists so apparently reluctant to attempt to agree on
parameters and cough up the requisite promissory notes, if it would call our
bluff and get the process moving? Isn't that the supposed objective here?

Or perhaps that is not the *real* objective?

BEAR

Chung wrote:

Steve Maki wrote:

On 9 Sep 2005 03:50:34 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Preposterous? Yes, I think I agree with you Harry.

I'm trying to make sure the test means something. Why else would
it be worth money to me? It's NOT a bet, where I can make money
if I "win". I don't think we'd win any "points" by specifying
a rigid test and then having everyone, including the testee,
complaining about it after the fact.

If we are talking about getting Randy to do the cable test (silver
cables vs copper of the same gauge), I'll even let Harry hold my $500 .

Steve Maki

Heh... that's pretty funny, but Ok. I trust Harry too.

But I wish you would figure out that there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between
an ad hoc "test" (money or not) and a bona fide "challenge" which has:

A) and organized approach
B) the money held *in advance* by a third party
C) terms and conditions for the test
D) clarity as to WHAT is to be TESTED

I prefer the organized version, but am open to the ad hoc version,
IF those who want to challenge *me* in specific about something or other
(and I agree to that) would line up their ducks and then we can figure
out these details more or less privately, and the size of the pot and
then post the *result of our private email discussions* here on rahe.

_-_-bear

BEAR

Steven Sullivan wrote:
BEAR wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

A man who hawks audio cables is chiding others about fantasy and warm fuzzy ideas?

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years
back." Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now
isn't it?

Nope, the offer stands. When are you going to take us up on it?

What offer?

Document the offer - document the terms & conditions.
Put the money in escrow.

Until then, it is you who is all smoke, lights and mirrors.

AND, this has not one thing to do with ME personally or what I sell or
don't sell. It has to do with you and others ENDLESS BASHING people with
this mythic "challenge" which as it now stands is nothing more than
rhetoric and dogma.

And as far as what I sell, Mr. Sullivan, I am confident that my power
amp measures objectively better than yours - even though you won't be
able to hear that difference (right?) - and that my cables measure just
fine, and actually measure better than your nice zip cord - even if you
can't hear the difference (right?). All of which means not one thing in
terms of the "challenge" which is the creation of people like yourself
on this newsgroup.

(Please stop the personal attacks, lest you get some in return.
They are clearly not necessary, do nothing to elevate the discussion,
and are the sign of an insecure personality to boot.)

Back it up properly, or else you are worse than anything that you or the
rest of you involved in this charade accuse me or anyone else of doing
or being involved with.

I've said this about a dozen or more times now.

--- Do it (document/escrow) or please cease making a claim that is
*objectively* highly suspect - to be very, very polite about it. ---

_-_-bear

Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Sep 2005 16:48:30 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

And there is a good bet that if his results hold up with Tom, there will be
many here on RAHE who will find post-test reasons why the test was not
optimal and the money should not / will not be paid.

That's why we have a third party hold the cash, Harry. Could even be
you.

Acceptable test
conditions *must* be laid out in advance, or the whole thing is a charade.

I entirely agree, although for slightly different reasons......

Stewart Pinkerton

On 11 Sep 2005 02:15:43 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

wrote in message

This isn't a bet, is it? As far as I can tell, there's no downside for
Randy. He either gets the money or he doesn't. In no case will he lose any
of his own.

If I thought I could pass the test, I would make an effort to TAKE it--not
avoid it by throwing up dozens of picayune objections.

Norm, there is not a high trust level between the two camps.

We can at least agree on *that* point!

And there is
much more than money involved...there is crowing or face saving to be had on
one side or the other.

And commercial interests in the case of BEAR.

So for those reasons, their has to be some form of
agreement in place before the event to set some parameters on attempted
evasion afterwards.

We can also agree on that point.

Why are the objectivists so apparently reluctant to attempt to agree on
parameters and cough up the requisite promissory notes, if it would call our
bluff and get the process moving? Isn't that the supposed objective here?

Or perhaps that is not the *real* objective?

Which part of 'we could let Harry hold the cash' was unclear to you?

Steven Sullivan

BEAR wrote:
Chung wrote:

Steve Maki wrote:

[...]

It's a semantic issue -- *you* are the one who has tacked on
criteria for what constitutes a 'challenge'. And then you get
all peeved when people don't agree with your definition.

The *challenge* as originally posted stipulated that some
terms were to be agreed upon by the participant and the challengers.
Now you're mad because you have been offered input into the
terms of the challenge, rather than being handed a detailed,
complete, 'package'.

The general terms required by the people offering hte money, were
laid out in the original posts: level matching, use of DBT,
etc. It's up to you to negotiate with us the specifics of
how you are going to take the challenge.

I prefer the organized version, but am open to the ad hoc version,
IF those who want to challenge *me* in specific about something or other
(and I agree to that) would line up their ducks and then we can figure
out these details more or less privately, and the size of the pot and
then post the *result of our private email discussions* here on rahe.

Then stop whining and start specifying details that would be agreeable
to *you*.

--

-S

Steven Sullivan

BEAR wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
BEAR wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

A man who hawks audio cables is chiding others about fantasy and warm fuzzy ideas?

Nothing substantive has been done on this thing since "a few years
back." Nothing was done then either. Nada. Zero. Nil. That's a fact, now
isn't it?

Nope, the offer stands. When are you going to take us up on it?

What offer?

Document the offer - document the terms & conditions.

They're on Usenet. If you are *now* requiring that they be
written up in a formal document, you'd best start hammering out
the details so that we can write up such a document.

Put the money in escrow.

Never a requirement up until now, but so far anyone who's
chimed in ahs agreed to this.

Until then, it is you who is all smoke, lights and mirrors.

Nonsense. *You* are the one who believes that. So, start
negotiating!

AND, this has not one thing to do with ME personally or what I sell or
don't sell. It has to do with you and others ENDLESS BASHING people with
this mythic "challenge" which as it now stands is nothing more than
rhetoric and dogma.

No, Randy, there are certainly underlying issues here, given that
your history on RAHE. It's not *just* about the challenge. It's
about claims people like you constantly make about audio gear -including
your cables an amps, the claimed audibile superiority of which
isas yet unsupported by any good evidence. It's rather more
interesting in your case because you actually try to make money off
these claims. Well, we're offering you ANOTHER chance to make
some money -- but this time you actually have to back up your
claims with evidence. Are you up for it or not?

And as far as what I sell, Mr. Sullivan, I am confident that my power
amp measures objectively better than yours - even though you won't be
able to hear that difference (right?) -

The question is, will *you*?

and that my cables measure just
fine, and actually measure better than your nice zip cord - even if you
can't hear the difference (right?). All of which means not one thing in
terms of the "challenge" which is the creation of people like yourself
on this newsgroup.

The challenge puts *our* money where *your* mouth is. So, show us all
that you're right, and the money's yours.

(Please stop the personal attacks, lest you get some in return.

I trust the moderators will distinguish me connecting
a dealer's claims about his products to the question of whether
the claims are true, from 'personal attacks'.

They are clearly not necessary, do nothing to elevate the discussion,
and are the sign of an insecure personality to boot.)

Actually they are simply consistent with the purpose of the *challenge*.

Back it up properly, or else you are worse than anything that you or the
rest of you involved in this charade accuse me or anyone else of doing
or being involved with.

Back up my claim that you ahven't established the audible superiority
of your gear? Or even that it sounds *different* from gear costing
rather less? There's no need to back up that claim, unless you have
been hiding some test results from us -- it's evident from your
website and your own claims.

I've said this about a dozen or more times now.

Fortunately, it's not your judgement that determines what
does and does not get posted here.

--- Do it (document/escrow) or please cease making a claim that is
*objectively* highly suspect - to be very, very polite about it. ---

By the same token, I could *insist* that you remove all claims about
your products' audible performance, until you document it.

Fat chance, huh?

--

-S

Harry Lavo

wrote in message

[...]

So far, two people have offered to have me hold the cash, for a grand total
of $600. Where are you and the rest of your cohort?

As having me hold the cash was volunteered, I would not reject the role.
But as far as I am concerned promissory notes would do just as well. Others
may not agree.

But beyond the financial aspect, I still feel strongly that the "rules" need
to be committed in writing and agreed to by all parties on your side and any
subjectivist who wants to undertake the test on the other side. To not do
so is inviting problems, and since your are making the "offer", what is
stopping you from being the first to propose what you feel are reasonable
conditions (subject to negotiated acceptance, of course).

If you are serious, coming up with an escrow or promissory agreement among
yourselves and making a first draft of procedure to show your honest intent
seem to me to be a reasonable request, if the challenge is "real".

Steve Maki

On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Which part of 'we could let Harry hold the cash' was unclear to you?

So far, two people have offered to have me hold the cash, for a grand total
of $600. Where are you and the rest of your cohort?

Er, I was the one who nominated you, and I'm in for $1000; so....

Steve Maki

Stewart Pinkerton

On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

But beyond the financial aspect, I still feel strongly that the "rules" need
to be committed in writing and agreed to by all parties on your side and any
subjectivist who wants to undertake the test on the other side. To not do
so is inviting problems, and since your are making the "offer", what is
stopping you from being the first to propose what you feel are reasonable
conditions (subject to negotiated acceptance, of course).

The rules are already clear, and very sparse - double-blind protocol,
15 correct out of 20 trials to win, level-matching at 1 kHz and 10 kHz
to +/- 0.1dB at the speaker terminals.

That's it. Otherwise, your own choice of venue, equipment, music,
everything. What's *your* problem? The rules couldn't be simpler, and
they couldn't be more accommodating to those nmaking the claims of
difference. You can use your own system in your own listening room
with your own choice of music, and take as long as you like over the
trials. The only stipulations are that the levels must be reasonably
matched, and you mustn't *know* what's connected.

Just exactly what is so difficult for you? After all, these are 'night
and day' differences you hear, no? :-)

Chung

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

But beyond the financial aspect, I still feel strongly that the "rules" need
to be committed in writing and agreed to by all parties on your side and any
subjectivist who wants to undertake the test on the other side. To not do
so is inviting problems, and since your are making the "offer", what is
stopping you from being the first to propose what you feel are reasonable
conditions (subject to negotiated acceptance, of course).

The rules are already clear, and very sparse - double-blind protocol,
15 correct out of 20 trials to win, level-matching at 1 kHz and 10 kHz
to +/- 0.1dB at the speaker terminals.

This is the set of conditions for testing cables, although I thought
that the limit was 16 out of 20. For amplifiers, we need a larger set of
conditions. For example, no distortion products above the -60 dB (0.1%
level) at rated power and frequency extremes, no line spurs above the
-80 dBc level, no ripples measured in the speaker terminals, etc.

There are many more ways of coming up with a incompetent amplifier than
an incompetent pair of speaker cables, and we should guard against those
obviously poorly designed amplifiers, since they will be audibly
different. A 2-point FR measurement may be insufficient.

I also think that those who want to prove their amps sound different
should take the Richard Clark challenge instead, since he is better
equipped to administer the test. And he has a larger reward .

That's it. Otherwise, your own choice of venue, equipment, music,
everything. What's *your* problem? The rules couldn't be simpler, and
they couldn't be more accommodating to those nmaking the claims of
difference. You can use your own system in your own listening room
with your own choice of music, and take as long as you like over the
trials. The only stipulations are that the levels must be reasonably
matched, and you mustn't *know* what's connected.

Just exactly what is so difficult for you? After all, these are 'night
and day' differences you hear, no? :-)

Harry Lavo

"Steve Maki" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Which part of 'we could let Harry hold the cash' was unclear to you?

So far, two people have offered to have me hold the cash, for a grand
total
of $600. Where are you and the rest of your cohort?

Er, I was the one who nominated you, and I'm in for $1000; so....

Steve Maki

Sorry, Steve, I remembered $500. My bad. :-(

Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Sep 2005 02:24:25 GMT, Chung wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

But beyond the financial aspect, I still feel strongly that the "rules" need
to be committed in writing and agreed to by all parties on your side and any
subjectivist who wants to undertake the test on the other side. To not do
so is inviting problems, and since your are making the "offer", what is
stopping you from being the first to propose what you feel are reasonable
conditions (subject to negotiated acceptance, of course).

The rules are already clear, and very sparse - double-blind protocol,
15 correct out of 20 trials to win, level-matching at 1 kHz and 10 kHz
to +/- 0.1dB at the speaker terminals.

This is the set of conditions for testing cables, although I thought
that the limit was 16 out of 20.

Sorry, that's due to my using '' for quoted text. It should have read
'more than 15 correct out of 20'.

For amplifiers, we need a larger set of
conditions. For example, no distortion products above the -60 dB (0.1%
level) at rated power and frequency extremes, no line spurs above the
-80 dBc level, no ripples measured in the speaker terminals, etc.

There are many more ways of coming up with a incompetent amplifier than
an incompetent pair of speaker cables, and we should guard against those
obviously poorly designed amplifiers, since they will be audibly
different. A 2-point FR measurement may be insufficient.

Agreed, there's an additional 100Hz point for amplifiers. It would be
a relatively simple task to build an amplifier which *deliberately*
found a way through the rules (a 3dB hump centred on 3kHz, for
instance), but AFAIAC, that would simply prove the point that the
'high end' is all smoke and mirrors, with no genuine advance in sound
quality over midrange electronics.

I also think that those who want to prove their amps sound different
should take the Richard Clark challenge instead, since he is better
equipped to administer the test. And he has a larger reward .

Fair enough, but we don't seem to see *any* takers for either prize,
despite all the noise and bluster from those such as U238.

That's it. Otherwise, your own choice of venue, equipment, music,
everything. What's *your* problem? The rules couldn't be simpler, and
they couldn't be more accommodating to those making the claims of
difference. You can use your own system in your own listening room
with your own choice of music, and take as long as you like over the
trials. The only stipulations are that the levels must be reasonably
matched, and you mustn't *know* what's connected.

Just exactly what is so difficult for you? After all, these are 'night
and day' differences you hear, no? :-)

A deafening silence spread across the ranks of the subjectivists....

Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Sep 2005 02:52:11 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Steve Maki" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Which part of 'we could let Harry hold the cash' was unclear to you?

So far, two people have offered to have me hold the cash, for a grand
total
of $600. Where are you and the rest of your cohort?

Er, I was the one who nominated you, and I'm in for $1000; so....

Steve Maki

Sorry, Steve, I remembered $500. My bad. :-(

And I'm in for $500 in this pool. I have my own separate prize of
£1,000 for any UK contenders, but it's also happlily gathering
interest - only of the financial kind, it would seem...........

Steven Sullivan

Chung wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Sep 2005 03:58:06 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

But beyond the financial aspect, I still feel strongly that the "rules" need
to be committed in writing and agreed to by all parties on your side and any
subjectivist who wants to undertake the test on the other side. To not do
so is inviting problems, and since your are making the "offer", what is
stopping you from being the first to propose what you feel are reasonable
conditions (subject to negotiated acceptance, of course).

The rules are already clear, and very sparse - double-blind protocol,
15 correct out of 20 trials to win, level-matching at 1 kHz and 10 kHz
to +/- 0.1dB at the speaker terminals.

This is the set of conditions for testing cables, although I thought
that the limit was 16 out of 20.

15/20 is the least number correct out of 20 that still yields a p0.05

14/20: 0.058
15/20: 0.021
16/20: 0.006

There are many more ways of coming up with a incompetent amplifier than
an incompetent pair of speaker cables, and we should guard against those
obviously poorly designed amplifiers, since they will be audibly
different. A 2-point FR measurement may be insufficient.

It's the reason why Randy needs to specify which two amps he wants
to compare.

--

-S

BEAR

Steven Sullivan wrote:
BEAR wrote:

Chung wrote:

Steve Maki wrote:

[...]

Ok then: I decide, I tell you the results. You send me the money. Ok?

Now if you think that is kinda foolish, then I agree.
Or perhaps you wish to first outline the general premise beyond some
vauge "handwave"??

If ur logical faculties fail to indicate where the onus lies for the
definition of the "challenge" then there is little that continued
discussion is likely to produce.

On the other hand, if you fathom the exceedingly complex concept of the
"challenge" being at least stipulated in some form by those whose hard
earned dollars are apt to removed from their pockets, then please
proceed at your own pace with said stipulation/definition.

Otherwise, please stop mentioning it as if it is something real or serious.

Let's make it 100% clear - I have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this
"challenge", nothing more than to challenge its very existance in
reality. (what happens after it is defined, remains to be seen)

_-_-bear