Bruce Abrams

Default CD Recorder recommendation

Anyone have a suggestion for a CD Recorder to use for digitizing an LP
collection. I have a Midiman Flying Calf A-D, so unless the onboard
converters of the recorder are on a par, a spdif input would be nice.

Bruce
Harry Lavo

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message
Anyone have a suggestion for a CD Recorder to use for digitizing an LP
collection. I have a Midiman Flying Calf A-D, so unless the onboard
converters of the recorder are on a par, a spdif input would be nice.

Bruce

I picked up and am using an older Marantz 630 single drawer recorder for
this purpose. It does an excellent job, and has both rca and balanced
inputs and both toslink and spdif rca inputs and outputs. The one caveat is
that while it does both 74 and 80 min DVD-RW's, it cannot handle high speed,
80 min CD-R's (which is about all that is widely available these days).
However, through pro audio distributors you can still buy 74 minute low
speed (24x or less) CD-R's as these are what the commercial manufacturers
use. How long this situation will last is hard to say. Sound quality, both
analog and digital, is outstanding when recorded through the tape feed from
my ARC preamp and through the digital output of my dti pro / proceed PDP
combo. Also very easy to use.
Aaron J. Grier

Bruce Abrams wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a CD Recorder to use for digitizing an LP
collection. I have a Midiman Flying Calf A-D, so unless the onboard
converters of the recorder are on a par, a spdif input would be nice.

you might be able to find a used alesis masterlink for USD$500 or less
these days. it records to a hard drive, then can be edited and burned
to CDR.

http://www.alesis.com/products/ml9600/index.html

the only downsides are size (it's 2RU and not the lightest gear ever),
possibly price (I don't know how much the standalone direct-to-CDR
recorders go for), and perhaps complexity.

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able