Paul Gitlitz

Default Bad business with fellow rap member

Hello Brethren,
I'm having a problem and need some advise. I sent a piece of gear off
with a check for an upgrade to a highly touted rap member whose work
has been praised here by many. I asked about the turnaround time
because I was starting an album of my own compositions that has been
in the wings for 30 years. I have hired someone else to engineer and
co-produce so I could be the artist for a change. We are however in my
studio using my gear.

The gear didn't come back as promised and I was disappointed and
phoned. The rap member sounded apologetic and once again said he'd get
right to it.

Two weeks went by ...no gear. I was annoyed I called again he
complained about the help no showing up and it being impossible to
work over Christmas, and he offered to send it back unlooked at. I
said I wanted him to complete the work he'd promised and I'd paid for,
once again promised to get right to it.

Two weeks went by no gear. I was really annoyed and phoned. He
sounded like someone had died in the family or he was having a nervous
breakdown. He was audibly stuttering. I am not without some
compassion, by he offered no personal tragedy as an excuse and I
didn't pry. I was needing this gear for my track and he now promised
to get it here for wed. by putting it on his bench and doing it in the
morning then over-nighting it to me. It never arrived. Another week
has gone by.

I'm now damned angry and not sure how to proceed. I don't care to
besmirch his name or become everyone's enemy because he's the group
darling and has a problem I couldn't possible have now about. I also
don't want anyone else to go through what I have. And most of all I
want him to do as promised or pay someone else to and get it to me
with alacrity.

Thanks for listening to my woes.
Suggestions are sought.
Paul Gitlitz
Jonny Durango

amen...i'll second that

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"George Gleason" wrote in message
Paul people are just people
even if they post here
I am sure his intention we beyond reproach
but it is time for you to demand your gear back, fixed or not
and a refund
send a call tag if you must

Create a public disclosure and send it to him to let him know that
should this not be resolved to your satisfaction on your schedule that
you will have no choice but to warn others of your experience

and follow through
you may get total satisfaction or you may get royally dicked about
or something in between

the readers here deserve to know the final outcome
but not all the negotiations

I wish you well and hope it was something way out of the ordinary that
has caused you this stress

I also would make plans to rent replacement gear and send him the invoice

best of luck

and a reminder as a professional your word is your bond and the key to
your success
Guard it better than gold

communication is the key to resolving issues before they get out of

control
George

will

I'd suggest that you appeal to a moderator on one of the many respected
audio forums. Privately contact someone who is respected and
knowedgable in the area that directly pertains to the equipment
involved. Perhaps you know of someone who is willing to intervene on
your behalf. If all else fails, you can contact the attorney general
in the state to which you sent the gear and file a complaint. But,
that's a last resort measure, for sure.

If the guy that you sent the gear to does indeed have a problem, it may
be something that is already known to others in the industry and you
may find a sympathetic ear and a little leverage to get your gear
finished as promised. Good luck.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:00:54 GMT, Paul Gitlitz
wrote:

I'm having a problem and need some advise. I sent a piece of gear off
with a check for an upgrade to a highly touted rap member whose work
has been praised here by many. I asked about the turnaround time
because I was starting an album of my own compositions that has been
in the wings for 30 years. I have hired someone else to engineer and
co-produce so I could be the artist for a change. We are however in my
studio using my gear.

The gear didn't come back as promised and I was disappointed and
phoned. The rap member sounded apologetic and once again said he'd get
right to it.

You have posted far too much information, but not the most important
relevant information :-)

If you want inside information about an individual, you'll have to
disclose his name.

If your project is really being held up for want of a vital bit of
gear, tell us what it is. Someone might say "Oh, I can fix that
quickly!". Or "I'll lend you one!". But without knowing what it
is....

So far you've had a good moan and stirred some mud. If you want
help, ask for it ;-)

Ty Ford

Paul,

Email me off line. I have a similar problem.

Ty

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:00:54 -0500, Paul Gitlitz wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Predrag Trpkov

"Paul Gitlitz" wrote in message
[...]

When you called for the second time and complained and the said r.a.p.
member offered to return the item, you could have read between the lines. If
it was obvious that there was something wrong going on, inconsistent with
everything you had heard about the guy's bussiness practice, maybe it would
have been a better idea to give him the way out, accept the offer and cancel
the deal. Asuming, of course, that the full refund would have been enclosed
with the item.

You chose to insist on the deal instead, which is your right, of course, but
in my view, at that point you also became partly responsible for the
outcome. Please note the difference between responsability and blame, the
latter being entirely on his part. It looks like the guy was in serious
trouble, he had realized he couldn't fulfill his obligations and expressed
that concern. Your insisting on the deal put him under additional pressure,
there's certain reputation to live up to, both on r.a.p. and elsewhere, the
customer's always right etc. It obviously clouded his judgement and he
accepted what he shouldn't have.

People react in different ways under too much pressure. While there's little
doubt that he's to blame for the state of the affair, it's too easy to make
judgements without knowing both sides of the story and there must be much
more to it. He didn't tell you and you didn't care to ask. He stands to lose
much more than you. I have no idea who he is, but I'm sure it took him years
of avoiding situations like this to get any reputation at all and it can all
go down the drain in a minute. It's easy to repair a piece of gear. Gear is
gear, this is a human.

You're partly responsible. Handle with care.

Predrag

Glitch

Thanks George,
This was close to what I was thinking, but better thought out and more
explicit.
I purposely avoided info that would identify this person because I wish
not to be sued for defamation of character and because I am not without
some human compassion even if I'm ****ed off which I am.
I had also sent an email which went unanswered and other phone calls, I
didn't keep exact track.

Paul

Glitch

Hi Laurence,
I suppose I did moan and reveal too much background. There was actually
more but I truncated it.
The gear is useless to me without the repairs and I know of no one else
who does this work. To describe it is to name the individual. To tell
you the gear will do almost as much. I would prefer to do that off
group.
Sorry if this sounds mysterious, You'd understand instantly if I tell
you what I'm having done.
Paul

Scott Dorsey

Glitch wrote:
The gear is useless to me without the repairs and I know of no one else
who does this work. To describe it is to name the individual. To tell
you the gear will do almost as much. I would prefer to do that off
group.

Well, if it has anything to do with Burgess at Sontec, I'd love to hear
the final resolution....
Laurence Payne

On 26 Jan 2005 16:23:20 -0800, "Glitch" wrote:

Hi Laurence,
I suppose I did moan and reveal too much background. There was actually
more but I truncated it.
The gear is useless to me without the repairs and I know of no one else
who does this work. To describe it is to name the individual. To tell
you the gear will do almost as much. I would prefer to do that off
group.
Sorry if this sounds mysterious, You'd understand instantly if I tell
you what I'm having done.

Perhaps you could start over with something like:

"Hey! Anyone know if S***** is having problems? He doesn't seem
his usual efficient self lately? Hope he's OK?"

Joe Sensor

Mike Rivers wrote:

If you don't want others to have the same problem that you had,
there's no other way to do that but mention who you're talking about.
Airing dirty laundry in public is always tough, but you started it.
Finish it. Maybe we'll hear the other side of the story.

Yes. And now you have everyone speculating on who or what this is about.
Pooh Bear

George Gleason wrote:

[...]

Well said George, and especially so to your last comment about communication.

Graham

Glitch

Mike Rivers wrote:

If you don't want others to have the same problem that you had,
there's no other way to do that but mention who you're talking about.
Airing dirty laundry in public is always tough, but you started it.
Finish it. Maybe we'll hear the other side of the story.

I was half hoping he was reading all this and would step foward or at
least call me. I'm sick of spending my dimes. I will follow George's
suggestion 1st. and if I get no satisfaction I will air all, but for
now I will err on the side of caution and thank you for your advise.

At some point you have to decide that it's time to give up or set
things aside for a while. It doesn't really matter what the guy's

problem
was - you needed your gear. It would have been nice to have it

upgraded
but if that wasn't going to happen by the time you needed it,

wouldn't
it have been better to simply go with what you had, or try to find
something else in its place? People are only human.

Upgraded was perhaps the wrong choice of words it was a replacement of
a poorly working part with an improved new one. I have been using an
alternative and now wont be able to switch easily mid project. I was
dissapointed as I said, but now am just ****ed off at being lied to. My
time frame wasn't all that acurate either it's been about a month and a
half I've been waiting when I was told a week.
Paul

Glitch

Yes I could have requested it back and still not been able to use it,
it need more than just an upgrade. For this I will except the
reponsiblity of my decision to leave it with him. I still hope he gets
it together and does the work. I have been informed off group that this
may indeed be the case.
I'm just ****ed he didn't tell me at the start that he had no intention
of getting to it till he'd finished other work that was already 7 weeks
behind. I would have made other plans.
I recently purchased a 6 thousand dollar fiddle because the repair man,
doing a complete restoration on my 1732 fiddle, said it would be three
months before I could play it again. This was difficult to deal with
especially considering the additional cost of the restoration, but in 3
months he was done as stated and in the mean time I had an instrument I
was very happy to play.
I can't do this with every bit of gear that goes down and there has
been a lot lately.
I just like to be perpared for the situation with the facts as they are
known.

..

Glitch

Like the members of Bitch Slap this may have to remain a mystery. The
repair person in question after an extented period of inactivity is
back on the bench and my gear is currently disasembled and in progress.
He thanked me for not mentioning his name and I will not do so now.
I'm sorry if I stirred up an unneccesary temptest in a teapot, but I
felt I needed some advise and perhaps a stick to wield.
Thanks for all your replies
Paul

Glitch wrote:
Hi Laurence,
I suppose I did moan and reveal too much background. There was

actually
more but I truncated it.
The gear is useless to me without the repairs and I know of no one

else
who does this work. To describe it is to name the individual. To tell
you the gear will do almost as much. I would prefer to do that off
group.
Sorry if this sounds mysterious, You'd understand instantly if I tell
you what I'm having done.
Paul

I'm as much of a gear slut as anybody, but I have to ask what piece of
gear can be absolutely essential to a project.

I realize this project sounds major to you, but to me recording music
is 90% players and songs, and 10% gear.

I'd like to think you could substitute, or do without said piece of
gear...unless you are making a 100% Moog record and your modular Moog
is broken.

Sometimes less gear can be more, are you sure you absolutely have to
have this piece of gear?

Analogeezer

Sloth

I've been waiting a year and a half.

"Bryson" wrote in message
k.net...
It took him a while to return my goods too......and long waits for
email replies, etc.

Paul Gitlitz

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:00:54 GMT, Paul Gitlitz
wrote:

The gear is done and on it's way. I have a tracking #. Once again I
thank all for suggestions and concern even if it was partial selfish
concern. The repair person in question is sounding more like himself
and so I will chalk this up to an anomaly and my bad luck.
Paul Gitlitz

david

wrote:

The gear is done and on it's way. I have a tracking #. Once again I
thank all for suggestions and concern even if it was partial selfish
concern. The repair person in question is sounding more like himself
and so I will chalk this up to an anomaly and my bad luck.
Paul Gitlitz

Personally, I think it's in very bad taste for you to have put this in
front of rap, only so you can get yours back quicker. Or get it back at
all.

You've knowingly left the door wide open for anyone of us here to walk
unknowingly into the same month and a half long, very ****ty
experience.

And what's this about a couple other people chimming in with their woes
with the same nameless dude???

Telling the truth about a business transaction is not a nasty thing.
It's a heads up.

You may also be doing the guilty party a big favor.

Once you've got the damn thing back in your hands, you may want
reconsider your choice.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Jim

"david" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I agree, Thats like walking down the street and falling into a manhole, then
the next day standing there watching someone make the same mistake and not
warning them. Maybe my analogy is a little extreme, but if it was a store
(or any other business) that had given you some ****, you'd certainly be
here telling the whole thing, with detail.

Jim

nmm

Jim wrote:
"david" wrote in message
In article , Paul

Gitlitz

wrote:

[...]

But there is also the fact that "****ing off someone who isn't
returning your equipment anyway, won't get it back any faster"

You have to get someone to go by his place and take it back.. once your
gear is safe, then tell everyone.

Ty Ford

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:03:49 -0500, david wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

I think your interpretation of Paul's motive is not quite on. I think he
meant to reach out to see if it was a solo problem without wanting to "out"
the individual unfairly.

As it turns out, I was having a similar experience with the person. After
Paul and I chatted, I contacted the person and let him know what was
happening. I think things got better for EVERYONE involved after that.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Paul Gitlitz

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:13:44 -0500, Ty Ford
wrote:

I think your interpretation of Paul's motive is not quite on. I think he
meant to reach out to see if it was a solo problem without wanting to "out"
the individual unfairly.

As it turns out, I was having a similar experience with the person. After
Paul and I chatted, I contacted the person and let him know what was
happening. I think things got better for EVERYONE involved after that.

Once again Ty I am indebted to you for speaking on my behalf. This was
exactly what I hoped would happen, not ****ing folks off, raising
unsavory gossip or making everyone leery of who they transact with. If
I felt sure that this was to be a continuing problem I would
definitely give a headsup to our community.
I think the acid test here is would I send another piece of gear to
this fellow.
In truth I would hesitate a bit then, I would, however I would give
more time allowance. If I really needed something in a hurry I'd
either rent or put out an SOS to you guys.
My main disappointment so far is that fellow in question didn't really
offer too much of an apology and had offered to overnight it to me at
one point and hasn't even followed through with that.
Paul Gitlitz

There's only one repair that I can think of that there seems to be one
person that does. Wow...does that sentence even make sense? So, I
hate to say it, but now I'm going to think about that person that
sticks out in my mind as he's the only person that I know that does
this sort of repair. He's also mentioned on this site all the time, by
everyone as the go to person for this sort of repair.

While I don't think what Paul did is bad, I sort of think this is like
getting a moving violation ticket and taking drivers ed. True it
doesn't go on your insurance, but your insurance sees something
happened. They assume the worst.

This is exactly the case here. I will always be leary of this person
now...and he might not even be the culprit.

Later,

Rob Reedijk

Sloth wrote:
I've been waiting a year and a half.

"Bryson" wrote in message
k.net...
It took him a while to return my goods too......and long waits for
email replies, etc.

It's quite funny. I can think of at least three people who this might be.
They are all people who work on vintage gear and have fabulous reputations
for their work. And that's why it can take a while to get it back---
because they are so good that they have so much demand for their work
that they always end up being backed up.

And then there's my problem...

I have been waiting for a powered rack for my of pair of 32254 compressors
from Neve/Vintage gear guy for 7 months now. Anyone have one for sale?
Seriously, he's promised me "next week" one time too many. Problem is, his
price is fabulous. But if anyone has one now, ready for sale, let me know.
But nothing in the insane $1000 range that some brokers are trying to get.
I know what the parts cost.

Rob R.

Rob Reedijk

Rob Reedijk wrote:
And then there's my problem...

I have been waiting for a powered rack for my of pair of 32254 compressors
from Neve/Vintage gear guy for 7 months now. Anyone have one for sale?
Seriously, he's promised me "next week" one time too many. Problem is, his
price is fabulous. But if anyone has one now, ready for sale, let me know.
But nothing in the insane $1000 range that some brokers are trying to get.
I know what the parts cost.

I can't believe it!!!!!

I after I posted the above I checked my messages and low and behold! My
rack has been delivered!

Glad I didn't name names.

Rob R.

rickymix

My impression is that some techs, because of their good nature,
take on too many projects, more than they can handle. It's not like
they're out there soliciting this work; it comes to them because
they're so good and in demand. And they're just too nice to say, "No"
when we ask for their help.
So I personally don't feel right about getting angry with them or
bad-mouthing them when these projects drag on, since they're doing me a
favor to begin with. But I certainly understand the frustration.
I think Paul took as high of a road as was possible, given his
situation. Happily it all worked itself out. I don't think Paul
should "Out" the tech involved, but it would be pretty classy if the
tech "Outed" himself here and made an apology or explanation of some
type. Not that I'm holding my breath in anticipation or anything....
:)
Cheers, Rick.

Agreed. I know that in my dayjob, I've been in situations where I just
can't get it all done. My co-workers are all much happier if I just
let them know what's going on then trying to hide everything.
Again, if it's who I'm thinking of, it's not the work that's in
question as we've all either had or heard someone else that's had his
repairs done. An outing by said person wouldn't make me not want to
use him in the future, but the uncertainty of the situation might.
later,

play_on

On 31 Jan 2005 21:11:00 GMT, Rob Reedijk
wrote:

Sloth wrote:
I've been waiting a year and a half.

"Bryson" wrote in message
k.net...
It took him a while to return my goods too......and long waits for
email replies, etc.

It's quite funny. I can think of at least three people who this might be.
They are all people who work on vintage gear and have fabulous reputations
for their work. And that's why it can take a while to get it back---
because they are so good that they have so much demand for their work
that they always end up being backed up.

And then there's my problem...

I have been waiting for a powered rack for my of pair of 32254 compressors
from Neve/Vintage gear guy for 7 months now. Anyone have one for sale?
Seriously, he's promised me "next week" one time too many. Problem is, his
price is fabulous.

Unfortunately often you do get what you pay for. Maybe it's worth an
extra hundred or two if you get your gear back in a few weeks instead
of a few months.

But if anyone has one now, ready for sale, let me know.
But nothing in the insane $1000 range that some brokers are trying to get.
I know what the parts cost.

Are you talking about a Neve part, or a custom built PS? There
probably quite a few guys out there who could build one.

Al
play_on

If a guy can't deliver reasonably close to when promised, it's a drag
and it's unprofessional. I'd rather be told upfront that it's going
to take two months, rather than become disappointed or ****ed off.

Al

On 31 Jan 2005 13:38:03 -0800, "rickymix"
wrote:

[...]

Bryson

david wrote:

wrote:

The gear is done and on it's way. I have a tracking #. Once again I
thank all for suggestions and concern even if it was partial selfish
concern. The repair person in question is sounding more like himself
and so I will chalk this up to an anomaly and my bad luck.
Paul Gitlitz

Personally, I think it's in very bad taste for you to have put this in
front of rap, only so you can get yours back quicker. Or get it back at
all.

You've knowingly left the door wide open for anyone of us here to walk
unknowingly into the same month and a half long, very ****ty
experience.

And what's this about a couple other people chimming in with their woes
with the same nameless dude???

I was just guessing who it might be based on my similar experience.
My experience wasn't quite as bad though, so I didn't name names either.

Timmy

Telling the truth about a business transaction is not a nasty thing.
It's a heads up.

You may also be doing the guilty party a big favor.

Once you've got the damn thing back in your hands, you may want
reconsider your choice.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

Joe Sensor

Mike Rivers wrote:

Now, every well known overhauler and modifier is going to be asked
"You aren't that guy they were talking about on rec.audio.pro who
didn't get the gear back when promised, are you?"

Exactly. Once the cat was out of the bag, the "mystery person" should
have done the right thing and come here and made amends. Only fair. And
I do believe most of them read these posts or at least hear about them.