James Chambers

Default 2003 Chevy S10 Factory Stereo

Well, I just bought a new S10 and went with the AM/FM Stereo w/no CD because
I was just going to put in an aftermarket system. I have heard some
conflicting information on this and hope someone can give me a definate
answer. I was told that I would have to relocate the factory unit in order
to keep the door chimes, dome lights and that replacing the factory stereo
could impact the air bag and ABS systems. Any truth to this and if so, how
involved is relocating the original unit? Any tips?

TIA
jc

Supernoma

No, a lot of vehicals are becoming that way, but I know for sure on my
friends '03 Xtreme that he just switched the decks, no other effort
involved.

--

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
-Woody Allen
"James Chambers" wrote in message
Well, I just bought a new S10 and went with the AM/FM Stereo w/no CD

because
I was just going to put in an aftermarket system. I have heard some
conflicting information on this and hope someone can give me a definate
answer. I was told that I would have to relocate the factory unit in

order
to keep the door chimes, dome lights and that replacing the factory stereo
could impact the air bag and ABS systems. Any truth to this and if so,

how
involved is relocating the original unit? Any tips?

TIA
jc

David

Definative answer: If your 'lights on' and 'key in' chime comes through the
radio speaker, then your radio IS included in the 'class 3 databus' that
controls many vehicle functions. The vehicle manufacturers won't make the
ABS and airbag systems dependent on the radio due to safety reasons.

If the chime come from inside the dash (rather than a speaker), then you can
safely replae the radio without losing vehicle functions...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"James Chambers" wrote in message
Well, I just bought a new S10 and went with the AM/FM Stereo w/no CD

because
I was just going to put in an aftermarket system. I have heard some
conflicting information on this and hope someone can give me a definate
answer. I was told that I would have to relocate the factory unit in

order
to keep the door chimes, dome lights and that replacing the factory stereo
could impact the air bag and ABS systems. Any truth to this and if so,

how
involved is relocating the original unit? Any tips?

TIA
jc

Jim

My experience exactly. Mine didn't have door chimes going through
speakers, and I have removed my factory deck, so far didn't experience
anything strange or out of the ordinary, and it's been about 8 months.

I noticed that a friend's 2003 Blazer had his going through the
speakers, he has OnStar and XM.

Good Luck..

Jim