Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute

Default A discriminating audiophile among the Jesuits

No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down silicon
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.

-- Gerard Manley Hopkins, The Windhover

Jesuits are known for being exceedingly clever but this Hopkins is
something else altogether. He is not only a tube fancier, he is
remarkably prescient about the Plodding Ps which infest these
conferences and their silicon delusions -- "blue-bleak embers" is a
touchstone description of that chilling, greyed-out silicon sound. And
when they stumble and wound their pride and joy, they gash (gall,
windgall aka windpuff, which is an injury to a horse's ass -- brilliant
chain of associations!) the protruding heatsinks anodized in
pretentious gold and scarlet. An image "ah my dear" to warm the heart
of any redblooded tubie!

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Jem Raid

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Alas I don't see the connection between Audiophiles and Jesuits

Jem

Dramatised - Photography
Granularised - Photographs
Black and White - Prints
Blue and White - Cyanotypes
http://jemraid.wikispaces.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute

Jem Raid wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There's no "connection between Jesuits and audiophiles". I don't do
generics; it is enough to lave them to the silicon slime. There is a
clear connection between a particular Jesuit and the audiophile
persausion, as I have disclosed above from parsing his own text.

I might pick the same nits you try to infect me with about your sig.
No, my dear fellow, I have worked in the theatre (and television and
films for that matter) and the only dramatization is not photography.
And if your photographs are all "granularised" (perhaps you mean
"granulated", in which case I would advise you not to put your coffee
on your work while you add sugar), you can't be much of a photographer.
As for black and white being only prints, fah chrisesake, this is the
twenty-first century: you can say "minstrels" aloud. And, while we're
about it, why should blue and whites be limited to Cyanotypes; the cops
will have something about that, as will the Delftware subchapter of the
Crockery Collectors of the Universe. If you want to throw stones, don't
stack them up at convenient overarm distance from your own glasshouse.

Welcome to the nuttier fringe of hi-fi.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On 22 Apr 2006 17:34:19 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

conferences and their silicon delusions -- "blue-bleak embers" is a
touchstone description of that chilling, greyed-out silicon sound. And
when they stumble and wound their pride and joy, they gash (gall,

As for black and white being only prints, fah chrisesake, this is the
twenty-first century: you can say "minstrels" aloud. And, while we're
about it, why should blue and whites be limited to Cyanotypes; the cops
will have something about that, as will the Delftware subchapter of the
Crockery Collectors of the Universe. If you want to throw stones, don't
stack them up at convenient overarm distance from your own glasshouse.

Welcome to the nuttier fringe of hi-fi.

Andre Jute

I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone?
:-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority

"paul packer" wrote in message
On 22 Apr 2006 17:34:19 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

conferences and their silicon delusions -- "blue-bleak embers" is a
touchstone description of that chilling, greyed-out silicon sound. And
when they stumble and wound their pride and joy, they gash (gall,

As for black and white being only prints, fah chrisesake, this is the
twenty-first century: you can say "minstrels" aloud. And, while we're
about it, why should blue and whites be limited to Cyanotypes; the cops
will have something about that, as will the Delftware subchapter of the
Crockery Collectors of the Universe. If you want to throw stones, don't
stack them up at convenient overarm distance from your own glasshouse.

Welcome to the nuttier fringe of hi-fi.

Andre Jute

I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone?
:-)

There is an expression, "jesuitical reasoning", which is identical to, but
preceded the "R.A.O. Debating Trade" by several hundred years:
http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualNLs/relliars.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Jem Raid

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

[...]

Ohhh!

I think Granularised sounds much better than Granulated
After all they are 'ised rather than 'ated.

And as for my name, I am from Birmingham UK.

Jem

Interesting granularised (granulated, translation for Andre) Cyanotype, or
Blue Print
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20619005@N00/130957974/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
paul packer wrote:
I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone?

I often wonder where he gets his 'silicon slime' free recordings to enjoy
on his tubes. Perhaps he records everything himself on a Revox G36?

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Eiron

paul packer wrote:

I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone? :-)

It's Andre being brilliantly funny without being malicious, for a change.
Though he is mistaken in his interpretation, as Hopkins was obviously
criticizing valves. Silicon refers to the glass of the tube; shine, blue-bleak,
embers, vermillion, to his problems with heating his cathodes. He would have
known of the work of Guthrie and Edison, but transistors were still a pipe-dream.

Further proof is found in his 'The Candle Indoors' where he bemoans the
short lifespan of valves and has a sly dig at fans of tetrodes:

Come you indoors, come home; your fading fire
Mend first and vital candle in close heart’s vault:
You there are master, do your own desire;
What hinders? Are you beam-blind, yet to a fault
In a neighbour deft-handed? Are you that liar
And, cast by conscience out, spendsavour salt?

I think John Donne wrote a poem about the use of a long-tailed pair as a
phase-splitter.

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:37:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

paul packer wrote:
I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone?

I often wonder where he gets his 'silicon slime' free recordings to enjoy
on his tubes. Perhaps he records everything himself on a Revox G36?

Why would you assume that he is either rational or consistent?
Besides, it's a plain fact that there's a lot more silicon in one of
his tube amps than in any solid state amp. It's what glass is made
from.

So, the *real* 'silicon slime' is Jute himself! :-)

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion Andre Jute wrote:

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

There's no "connection between Jesuits and audiophiles". I don't do
generics; it is enough to lave them to the silicon slime. There is a
clear connection between a particular Jesuit and the audiophile
persausion, as I have disclosed above from parsing his own text.

You're a mental case.

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
robert casey

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I often wonder where he gets his 'silicon slime' free recordings to enjoy
on his tubes. Perhaps he records everything himself on a Revox G36?

Most any vinyl recorded before 1965 or so is likely "free of silicon".
Or geranium. Recording studios and master cutters used tubes before then.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Mark Harriss

paul packer wrote:

I love Andre's posts---I never understand a word. Translation anyone?

I often wonder where he gets his 'silicon slime' free recordings to enjoy
on his tubes. Perhaps he records everything himself on a Revox G36?

Why would you assume that he is either rational or consistent?
Besides, it's a plain fact that there's a lot more silicon in one of
his tube amps than in any solid state amp. It's what glass is made
from.

So, the *real* 'silicon slime' is Jute himself! :-)

I don't think he's even seen silicon otherwise he'd recognise the
"blue-bleak embers" description as that of the colour of silicon
and not some metaphor for sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . net,
robert casey wrote:
I often wonder where he gets his 'silicon slime' free recordings to
enjoy on his tubes. Perhaps he records everything himself on a Revox
G36?

Most any vinyl recorded before 1965 or so is likely "free of silicon".
Or geranium. Recording studios and master cutters used tubes before
then.

True. But then with the inherent distortion of vinyl it doesn't much
matter. And the 1/4" master will have removed all the transients anyway.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Mark Harriss

Eiron wrote:
paul packer wrote:

[...]

Jesus didn't appear to like tetrodes all that much either:

"Why do you see the speck of chaff that is in your brother's eye, but
don't consider the beam that is in your own eye?"
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

There's no "connection between Jesuits and audiophiles". I don't do
generics; it is enough to lave them to the silicon slime. There is a
clear connection between a particular Jesuit and the audiophile
persausion, as I have disclosed above from parsing his own text.

You're a mental case.

Well, that certainly cleared up the mystery. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

paul packer said to Sillybot:

You're a mental case.

Well, that certainly cleared up the mystery. :-)

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

paul packer said to Sillybot:

You're a mental case.

Well, that certainly cleared up the mystery. :-)

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

He isn't even a real engineer.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:29:52 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

paul packer said to Sillybot:

You're a mental case.

Well, that certainly cleared up the mystery. :-)

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Drunkie, you're falling to "attention" before the Sober Up Now orders are
given.

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

Just to clarify, you're not Stupey. You're Pukey, or Drunkie, or Stinkie.
OK?

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:34:40 -0400, George M. Middius
wrote:

Drunkie, you're falling to "attention" before the Sober Up Now orders are
given.

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

Just to clarify, you're not Stupey. You're Pukey, or Drunkie, or Stinkie.
OK?

Just to clarify, who cares? You're irrelevant, which is not a big grey
thing with a long trunk - that's a Cadillac.

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

"Pukey Stinkerton, reporting for duty!" hic "No I am not drrrunk Sarge,
boot I'll tail you a stoolie ... er, a ... a shorty ... nae it's sporty
wi' the lads, aiiight!" hic

Drunkie, you're falling to "attention" before the Sober Up Now orders are
given.

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist". ;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

Just to clarify, you're not Stupey. You're Pukey, or Drunkie, or Stinkie. OK?

Just to clarify, who cares?

You do, obviously, else you wouldn't have tried to correct what you
thought was a misstatement of *your* belief. I'm sure you're well within
your privileges as Laird o' the Manger to top off yer glass, bein' it's
gone six bells, ahoy, mateys, swing the truncheon deep and twirl those
curtain rods smart! hic

Pukey Stinkerton, Peer of the Realm! All hail! Come back, Pukey, we're all
at attention for yer wizzdumb. The loo can wait, y'know. Dish it up while
ye've got a chance!

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

news
wrote:

Drunkie, you're falling to "attention" before the Sober Up Now orders are
given.

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist".
;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

Just to clarify, you're not Stupey. You're Pukey, or Drunkie, or Stinkie.
OK?

Just to clarify, who cares? You're irrelevant, which is not a big grey
thing with a long trunk - that's a Cadillac.

What's that big pink thing with a long trunk that's dancing before your
eyes?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

Drunkie, you're falling to "attention" before the Sober Up Now orders are
given.

Don't forget that Stupey also thinks Arnii Krooborg is a "scientist".
;-)

No I don't, but I think that Hiddius is stuck at age seven..........

Just to clarify, you're not Stupey. You're Pukey, or Drunkie, or Stinkie.
OK?

Just to clarify, who cares? You're irrelevant, which is not a big grey
thing with a long trunk - that's a Cadillac.

What's that big pink thing with a long trunk that's dancing before your
eyes?

That would be a low-rider Cadillac owned by a pimp, surely?

http://www.usenet.com