BigBob

Default Apline 35xx series amps- how good were they really?

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how good the older 35xx series Amps
really were?
All these people keep jabbering on on Ebay about how impressive they were,
sound quality, built in Japan....etc, etc.
I have a couple of MINT older Alpine amps, 3533 and 3525 plus a few other
components in excellent shape, that I bought new in the '80's.
Thinking about building a new kick-ass (for a balding middle age guy with
one bad ear!) mobile set up, with another "minty low mileage driven only on
Sundays" kind of amp, off the e-FIX (Ebay).

What is the real deal? Were they as good as the folks have you believe?

I have been to the Alpine site but manuals are kind of sketchy for those
vintage models.
Alpine site
http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/...oms/FrameMacro
has no info on the 3533 amp at all, other than Pinout wiring, no Wattage,
RMS, THD info. Anyone know what this amp pushed out for power?

Alpine .PDF for 3525 says 60W + 60W bridgeable and thats about it.
Likely this was the maximum 60 Watts max RMS at 2 ohms @ 0.8 %THD,
realistically it would likely be around 30 Watts at 4 ohms @ .08%THD,
right??
Thanks everyone, for your input.
Bob

CJK

They were good amps, I competed for a long time with a 3554 and a 3544, they
are a clean map and produce their rated power.

And best part, the price is right

CJK

"BigBob " no wrote in message
[...]

Mista Bone

I had a pair of the little 3522's, rated 30x2.......Had on in for repair
after car was rearend......it put out 53 watts x 2 into 4 ohms.........at
12.5 volts.

Still have those little suckers, along with my MTX Thunder 4160/280/2160.
Not willing to part with

"BigBob " no wrote in message
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how good the older 35xx series Amps
really were?
All these people keep jabbering on on Ebay about how impressive they were,
sound quality, built in Japan....etc, etc.
I have a couple of MINT older Alpine amps, 3533 and 3525 plus a few other
components in excellent shape, that I bought new in the '80's.
Thinking about building a new kick-ass (for a balding middle age guy with
one bad ear!) mobile set up, with another "minty low mileage driven only

on
Sundays" kind of amp, off the e-FIX (Ebay).

What is the real deal? Were they as good as the folks have you believe?

I have been to the Alpine site but manuals are kind of sketchy for those
vintage models.
Alpine site

http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/...//www.stylesta
ndard.net/oswego/Rooms/FrameMacro
has no info on the 3533 amp at all, other than Pinout wiring, no Wattage,
RMS, THD info. Anyone know what this amp pushed out for power?

Alpine .PDF for 3525 says 60W + 60W bridgeable and thats about it.
Likely this was the maximum 60 Watts max RMS at 2 ohms @ 0.8 %THD,
realistically it would likely be around 30 Watts at 4 ohms @ .08%THD,
right??
Thanks everyone, for your input.
Bob

MZ

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how good the older 35xx series Amps
really were?

They were THIS good! holding arms out in a manner like "i caught a fish
this big"

All these people keep jabbering on on Ebay about how impressive they were,
sound quality, built in Japan....etc, etc.

Those Japanese sure do know how to put an amp together...

Kengland2 Kengland2 is offline
Junior Member

I have a 3525 sitting in front of me now, and I'm preparing to hook it up to my new Kenwood KDC-MP435U. It's been sitting in a box for about 10 years. I had 2 of these--one for my front component speakers, and one for my subwoofer, and the sound was "audiophile," as heard through my Alpine 7903 CD player, and Sony XR-7150 tape deck. The specs I've tracked down on the web are 0.04% THD, but I suspect it may've been as low as 0.01%, and it was definitely rated at 60 Watts per channel, at 4 Ohms, and it is bridgeable, probably to 150-160 RMS Watts. There's NO WAY I would've paid for a component with THD 0.05% or higher--I was VERY picky back in those days... The Kenwood has a THD of 0.1%. The S/N ratio is an estimated 102 dB, and definitely over 92 dB. They just don't make 'em like they used to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post