Brian Huether

Default Large Diaphram Condenser for Electric Guitar?

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

Paul Bawol

Audio Technica 4050

....Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

"Brian Huether" wrote in message
I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

Scott Dorsey

Brian Huether wrote:
I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

None, really. You really don't want anything with an etched top end there.
Tirrell Payton

dynamic. shure sm57 right up on the cab.
if you really want to use a condenser, you can have one to capture the sound
of the "room" but this is not necessary.
"Brian Huether" wrote in message
I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

Les Cargill

Brian Huether wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

I'd start with dynamics. The Marshall V67 works pretty well on clean
electric, but it's a little detailed on the top for fuzzy geetar.

--
Les Cargill

Rob Adelman

Paul Bawol wrote:

Audio Technica 4050

I second that. Depends on your budget though. On the advise of Ty Ford,
I replaced mine with the Gefell M900 and it is great on my guitar
cabinet. But it cost about twice that of the 4050.
-Rob

http://www.gprime.com/html/microphones/m900.html

Kurt Albershardt

Brian Huether wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

ISTR Ty recommending the Microtech-Gefell M900, especially when paired
with the Amek 9098i.

LJM

Blue Baby Bottle

Jim

Brian Huether wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

P Stamler

Blue Dragonfly.

Peace,
Paul
EggHd

As some mentioned non large diaphram condensors, don't forget the Royer ribbon.
Great for guitar.

---------------------------------------
Lou Gimenez

as far as large diagphram mics go I like 4050's for guitar
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

Neil Henderson

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

U-47fet.

IMO, anyway.

NeilH
Ty Ford

In Article , Rob Adelman
wrote:

Paul Bawol wrote:

Audio Technica 4050

I second that. Depends on your budget though. On the advise of Ty Ford,
I replaced mine with the Gefell M900 and it is great on my guitar
cabinet. But it cost about twice that of the 4050.
-Rob

http://www.gprime.com/html/microphones/m900.html

AHA! But which mic pre were you using!!?? And, wasn't the sound you got
approximately 2x as impressive as the AT4050?

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article , Kurt Albershardt
wrote:
Brian Huether wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

ISTR Ty recommending the Microtech-Gefell M900, especially when paired
with the Amek 9098i.

You do and Rob A. has attested that he too has heard the "magic" I was
referring to.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Bryson

I don't know, Scott....The Lin6 PODxt has a U67 model to put on it's speaker models.

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Brian Huether wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

None, really. You really don't want anything with an etched top end there.

Chris Seifert

I agree with Paul,
The dragonfly has worked great for me on numerous sessions for
tracking and guitar overdubs.
Chris
Wavetrap

(P Stamler) wrote in message ...
Blue Dragonfly.

Peace,
Paul

Rob Adelman

Ty Ford wrote:

AHA! But which mic pre were you using!!?? And, wasn't the sound you got
approximately 2x as impressive as the AT4050?

Regards,

Ty Ford

I had the Amek for a while. But I settled on the John Hardy. Never did
get to try the 4050 through the John Hardy, though.

The Gefell 2 X the AT? Hard to say, but it does have more depth and
better tone. Wonderful microphone.

Bob Olhsson

In article , Tom Paul
wrote:

I noticed that the stones were micing guitar amps with LDC's that
looked like they might have been 4050's. That was on the recent HBO
concert. Anyone know what those mics were?

I'm sure they were made by the highest bidder!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN 615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/olhsson.html

Edvard Puskaric

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:51:25 +0100, "Brian Huether"
wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

Don't. I've never heard anything more disgusting in front of a heavy
guitar(amp). Stick with an SM57. If you want a larger diaphragm mic,
try an MD421. The 57 does magical things to the harmonic content of a
guitar amp's sound. You do not want anything delicate sounding and/or
too transparent there.
Rob Adelman

Edvard Puskaric wrote:

Don't. I've never heard anything more disgusting in front of a heavy
guitar(amp).

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize I have been doing it wrong for the last 20
plus years.

EggHd

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize I have been doing it wrong for the last 20
plus years.

To be fair (and I don't know about the other poster) you pretty much record
your guitar as a hobby.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize I have been doing it wrong for the last 20
plus years.

To be fair (and I don't know about the other poster) you pretty much record
your guitar as a hobby.

Well I can tell the sound of a well recorded guitar. And it can be with
a LDC as well as dynamics, ribbons etc. You aren't saying that great
"professional" guitar tracks on records have never been recorded with a
large diaphram condenser, are you?

Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

To be fair (and I don't know about the other poster) you pretty much record
your guitar as a hobby.

I didn't realize that made my opinion invalid. I'll keep that in mind.

EggHd

You aren't saying that great
"professional" guitar tracks on records have never been recorded with a
large diaphram condenser, are you?

Nope.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

I didn't realize that made my opinion invalid. I'll keep that in mind.

It doesn't make your opinion invalid. But when you make a statement saying "I
guess I've been wrong for 20 years" it's a bit misleading to me.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:
I didn't realize that made my opinion invalid. I'll keep that in mind.

It doesn't make your opinion invalid. But when you make a statement saying "I
guess I've been wrong for 20 years" it's a bit misleading to me.

Maybe you are reading too much into it? I have been monitoring and
recording electric guitar amps through many types of microphones for
about 25 years and have typically preferred LDC's. And I feel I have a
good ear for this stuff even if I don't have gold records to prove it.

I responding to a statement that said: "I've never heard anything more
disgusting in front of a heavy guitar(amp)". Though he has a right to
that opinion, I would gather that many pro's and non-pro's alike would
disagree with that opinion. I'm one of them.

EggHd

And I feel I have a
good ear for this stuff even if I don't have gold records to prove it.

Look, I don't want to start an argument and maybe I shouldn't have commented.
But this is another weird statement to me. Gold records or not, you don't have
clients or releases. You record your own guitar in your own home studio.

"I've never heard anything more
disgusting in front of a heavy guitar(amp)".

And I said that I didn't know what that poster's experience was either. Who
knows what they meant by heavy guitar? It may mean death metal sounds.

Though he has a right to
that opinion, I would gather that many pro's and non-pro's alike would
disagree with that opinion. I'm one of them.

And I 100% agree with that, but I still say that the response that you gave was
very misleading.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

Look, I don't want to start an argument and maybe I shouldn't have commented.

Right. I never claimed any credentials. Usenet info is free, and buyer
beware.

But this is another weird statement to me. Gold records or not, you don't have
clients or releases.

Well I have had some clients paying and not paying over the years. Never
recorded a guitarist that didn't end up telling me it was the best sound
anyone ever recorded for him/her. Your right, I haven't had any
commercial releases.

You record your own guitar in your own home studio.

See above.

"I've never heard anything more
disgusting in front of a heavy guitar(amp)".

That doesn't sound like a pro. Pretty misleading, huh?

And I 100% agree with that, but I still say that the response that you gave was
very misleading.

I figured..

EggHd

I never claimed any credentials. Usenet info is free, and buyer
beware.

Of course.

Never
recorded a guitarist that didn't end up telling me it was the best sound
anyone ever recorded for him/her.

That could mean a lot of things. I don't know if anyone has come to me and
said that I have captured the best guitar sound they have ever had, so you got
me there. But I can't be sure the guitarists we have both recorded have them
same expectations.

Your right, I haven't had any
commercial releases.

Again, it shouldn't matter. I was just commenting on your not having a gold
record. It's not easy to get one without a commercial release.

"I've never heard anything more
disgusting in front of a heavy guitar(amp)".

That doesn't sound like a pro. Pretty misleading, huh?

Can't tell.

---------------------------------------
Geetar Dave

I like the Dragonfly too. It's marvellous on a clean fender-type amp sound.
However, it usually covers more acoustic sources for me.

The Baby Bottle is doing great things for me on amp cabinets.

I've come to really like the V67g for roomy I-wish-I-was-Jimmy-Page sounds lately.

-dave
www.themoodrings.com (green ring = sounds)

(Chris Seifert) wrote in message . com...
I agree with Paul,
The dragonfly has worked great for me on numerous sessions for
tracking and guitar overdubs.
Chris
Wavetrap

(P Stamler) wrote in message ...
Blue Dragonfly.

Peace,
Paul

Ty Ford

wrote:

I was wondering what is considered a good large diaphram condenser for
recording heavy electric guitar.

-brian

Don't. I've never heard anything more disgusting in front of a heavy
guitar(amp). Stick with an SM57. If you want a larger diaphragm mic,
try an MD421. The 57 does magical things to the harmonic content of a
guitar amp's sound. You do not want anything delicate sounding and/or
too transparent there.

It very much depends on the mic and preamp. I believe I read that the stones
have been using 4050 on cabs.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

EggHd

I can. That person has obviously never heard a good LDC in front of a good
amp.

That could be. They may have a crappy guitar, amp and style that doesn't sound
right with an LDC.

The comment was either naive or inflammatory, or both.

As I found the response to be.

That it pitted
the two of your against each other is regrettable.

To which I admitted in a post.

---------------------------------------

Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

The comment was either naive or inflammatory, or both.

As I found the response to be.

But that isn't what you said. If I had a professional track record,
would that have made my response not inflammatory in your opinion?

EggHd

But that isn't what you said. If I had a professional track record,
would that have made my response not inflammatory in your opinion?

Regarding being naive? Yes. Inflammatory? If you were insinuating that you
had 20 years of success recording guitar, yes.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

But that isn't what you said. If I had a professional track record,
would that have made my response not inflammatory in your opinion?

Regarding being naive? Yes. Inflammatory? If you were insinuating that you
had 20 years of success recording guitar, yes.

Ok, fair enough. If your definition of success is only determined by
revenue created (which seems to be a theme with you). Perhaps you could
qualify that with (financial) success. Then again I have heard plenty of
hugely "successful" records with some rotten sounding guitars.

Someone could have hugely successful results recording a song and yet
not have any success selling the record for reasons that have nothing to
do with the quality of the recording.

EggHd

Guys, don't make me come in there!!

Are we there yet? How much longer? Rob's hitting me for no reason........