Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Food for Thought

My little group of audio nuts has been at it again. At a recent get together,
one of our older group members brought up an interesting point. He opined
that since CD replaced vinyl as his major program source, he finds that he is
more uneasy about the sound of his system and is less satisfied listening to
it. This has brought on a spate of equipment upgrading, but he says that he
has never been able to recreate the feeling of real music playing in real
space with digital that he got from vinyl. His final "upgrade" was to go down
into the basement and haul his old Empire 698 Troubadour turntable/arm/Sure
V-15 out of storage and and hook it up. The first record he played (so he
asserts) instantly brought back the sense of excitement and realism that he
has been missing in his system since retiring his record playing apparatus.

Others then chimed in (there are variably 6 to 10 of us in this group, 7 were
at this meeting, including me). Several said that they had been harboring
similar thoughts. One said that he no longer had a turntable setup but had
thought seriously about buying a new one for some time. He said that he was
encouraged by this discussion to move that project to the front burner.
Several others agreed that they had long nursed a niggling suspicion that
they no longer enjoyed listening to music with the passion and enthusiasm
that had once characterized their involvement in the audio hobby. A few,
myself included, said that they had never "abandoned" vinyl and listened to a
mix of digital and analog sources on a regular basis. I mentioned that I had
some records that were so much better than their CD counterparts, that it
wasn't even a contest. The Mercury recording of Stravinky's "Firebird" by
Antal Dorati and the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra comes to mind here. The
single-sided, multi-disc, virgin vinyl, 45-RPM pressing of this recording by
Classic records sounds so much better, so much more real than does the SACD
reissue (or the previous CD re-mastering supervised by the recording's
original producer Wilma Cozert Fine) that its hard to believe that both
versions come from the same master tape! On the other hand, I have digital
recordings (both commercial and ones that I have made myself) that are so
startlingly real as to raise goosebumps. I also have both vinyl and CD
recordings that are simply atrocious. I have found, however, that I have a
much higher percentage of LPs that sound unlistenably terrible than I do of
CDs. Mostly, CDs range from lackluster and mundane sounding to truly great
rather than awful to transcendently religious listening experiences which
characterizes the gamut of LPs.

So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board. Have any of you
noticed that you don't enjoy listening to your audio system today as much as
you did in vinyl days? If you fall into this category, do you have any
theories as to why? If you have happily left LP behind with no regrets, I'd
like to hear your opinions as to why you think many people still get more
enjoyment from LP than CD and why you do not. Please, let's avoid the obvious
remarks about about surface noise, limited dynamic range, wow-and-flutter (as
obviously vinyl-philes seem to be able to listen around those and don't find
them annoying).

Let the games begin!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

I don't listen as much or enjoy recorded music as much since switching to
digital as my main source, but this may because of being older as well as
the change in medium. However, I really don't think so. In fact have a
theory that one of the reason music became "background" and "transportable"
to feed the ADD-like listening habits of teenagers and twenty-somethings is
that digital doesn't hold interest like analogue. All I know is I enjoy my
RTR tapes the most, many of my records, and my SACDs more than I do ordinary
CD's. My listening increased greatly the first year or two after SACDs came
out, but then the supply of music of interest to me dropped away and I
eventually drifted away to my photographic hobby.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] max.boswell@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 27, 5:26 am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

LP's sound better: no one seems to know precisely why. The dialectic
among audiophiles has continued for years and years, most discussants
seeking, in the main, technical explanations/justifications. I, too,
seldom find listening to a CD--and by now I have many--as satisfying
as listening to my collection of LP's. After years of reading debates
about the differences, and attending audiophile society meetings, I've
come to think that techno jargon and techno hypotheses alone can't
come up with persuasive reasons. Maybe listening is not just a
'aural' experience, maybe there are other factors at play. Perhaps
those of us believe we hear a difference are "in" the music (or trying
to be in it) with more than our ears. Maybe the listening we do is a
cerebral activity, or an activity employing more than our ears - our
minds, our bodies somehow. Perhaps we've been trying to explain the
differences between the digital and the analog from the wrong
premises. I'm not meaning to imply that vinyl listeners are "better"
listeners or more "sensitive," only that maybe they hear differently,
with other senses than just ears. In the end, there may be
philosophical or even medical explanations for the question that has
never been put to rest since the beginning of the wars between the
vinylites and the cd-ites. Maybe we should look at ourselves, the
vinylites, to learn how we listen, and compare ourselves to the
honorable cd-ites, and see what they have or don't have, how they
listen, etc. Maybe it's like red states and blue states or blue
collar white collar or whatever. Let's look for reasons in new
places.
max
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

I really do think so. Older vinyl lovers miss two things: the rituals of
vinyl play (which encompass the appreciation of liner notes and larger
album art, as well as actually preparing he LP and setup for playback)
and the euphonic distortions of vinyl (which can be captured
entirely on CD, by 'needledrops')

Many times when they opine like this they are attempting the impossible:
comparing what they hear now to what they recall hearing before 1985 or
so...and from that dubious exercise of logic, they conclude that digital
is flawed!

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:26:28 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting. One thing that I have always found fascinating about the
audiophile community is how many of us are photographers - and pretty serious
ones, at that. I have met hundreds of audiophiles in my life and a very high
percentage of them cite photography as their "other'" consuming interest. I
wonder what that says about us as a group?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:49:00 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

A lot of "CD-ites" will tell you that you prefer vinyl because you like the
"rituals" associated with LP listening: the careful slipping of the disc out
of it's cover and carefully holding it by the rim with the thumb and the
label area with the rest of the hand as one gingerly places it on the
turntable. The ritual of placing the record clamp on the record, running the
record brush over the surface, or squeezing the trigger of the anti-static
gun, cleaning the stylus with a stylus brush and painting it with "Stylast"
-all of which rituals engender an anticipation that's lost when dropping a CD
into the tray of the player. I think it's more than that, but these rituals
COULD be at least part of the story.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath David E. Bath is offline

In article ,
Sonnova writes:

So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board. Have any of you
noticed that you don't enjoy listening to your audio system today as much as
you did in vinyl days? If you fall into this category, do you have any
theories as to why? If you have happily left LP behind with no regrets, I'd
like to hear your opinions as to why you think many people still get more
enjoyment from LP than CD and why you do not. Please, let's avoid the obvious
remarks about about surface noise, limited dynamic range, wow-and-flutter (as
obviously vinyl-philes seem to be able to listen around those and don't find
them annoying).

I am just old enough to remember the dawning of the stereo era and my
father had a excellent system based on an Akai RTR and a Garrard
turntable. Several of my friends' fathers also had some excellent
systems too. When I was in college I started spending a lot of time in
high-end stores and bought a quite good but modest LP-based system. I
continued upgrading my system after I graduated and was a happy LP
camper until I heard an early CD system at a high-end salon playing
"Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits. I then began my CD odyssey and
I've rarely looked back.

For me, a well mastered CD has a superior soundstage and much better
highs and lows than any LP I've heard. I do occasionally pull out a LP
that I have not been able to find on CD and I really don't enjoy it. I
still go to one of the few high-end stores that is in my area and I
still prefer CDs. I was never really happy with any of the things you
asked to not be mentioned above because I could never listen through
them during soft passages. I also have never heard an LP that had
convincingly real sounding cymbals, which is something CD can do very
well for me.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

I really do think so. Older vinyl lovers miss two things: the rituals of
vinyl play (which encompass the appreciation of liner notes and larger
album art, as well as actually preparing he LP and setup for playback)

Or alternatively:

-- "Vinyl lovers" don't care a lick for the "rituals" including the
album art, and just like the way some or all of them sound.

-- "CD lovers" like the convenience, smaller size, and that they are
more "modern", thereby affecting what they think they hear.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

LPs sound better to some, sometimes, and the reasons are can be various,
but not particularly mysterious.

as listening to my collection of LP's. After years of reading debates
about the differences, and attending audiophile society meetings, I've
come to think that techno jargon and techno hypotheses alone can't
come up with persuasive reasons.

And that's because you've tested those hypotheses?

Maybe listening is not just a
'aural' experience, maybe there are other factors at play.

That is undoubtably true, and not mysterious. Perception of audio
sound quality is not influenced only by sound, in typical (non-blind)
situations. It is influenced by other sensory input during the audition,
as well as a priori knowledge and expectation. If you seriously want to
isolate 'sound quality' as the sole influence, then you have to perform
the 'audition' blind and with no trivial cues as to the format.

Really, some 'audiophiles' make this out to be more of a profoundly
mysterious issue than it is. Experimental psychology as well as product
testing recognized the pitfalls of 'sighted' quality perception long ago.
It doesn't require new philosophical or medical paradigms.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
snip

So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board. Have any of you
noticed that you don't enjoy listening to your audio system today as much
as
you did in vinyl days? If you fall into this category, do you have any
theories as to why? If you have happily left LP behind with no regrets,
I'd
like to hear your opinions as to why you think many people still get more
enjoyment from LP than CD and why you do not. Please, let's avoid the
obvious
remarks about about surface noise, limited dynamic range, wow-and-flutter
(as
obviously vinyl-philes seem to be able to listen around those and don't
find
them annoying).

Let the games begin!

At the risk of not being considered an audiophile, I listen as much now to
classical CDs as I did to classical LPs two decades ago and RTR tapes three
and four decades ago.

I would certainly concur that some of the earliest CD releases were poorly
mastered for the new medium, and that some of the best LPs sounded better
than some of these early CDs. The best of the SACD remasterings of older
recordings sound better than those old LPs, at least on my system.

Regards,

Ed Presson

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Well, the cynical amd superficial amongst us might say both are hobbies
involving lots of "boy toys". However, I think it goes deeper than that.

The less cynical might say it involves economics...both tend to require a
certain amount of affluence to participate fully (eg. acquire, use, and
master to the state of the art).. However, I think it goes deeper than that
as well.

Both hobbies involve a very strong aesthetic appreciation as well as an
appreciation of engineering excellence in the equipment used to reach the
highest level plateaus of excellence.
Both hobbies have both an active and a passive component to them, and
therefore are adaptable to mood and circumstances.
Both hobbies are essentially solo endeavors (although involving often other
people on the periphery, the seminal decisions and much of the creativity
involved are solo).
Both hobbies require literally an "education" via reading and other
assimilation in order to master them.

I suspect somewhere in these factors lies the clue to the psychological
profile of both groups.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_3_] Doug McDonald[_3_] is offline

Sonnova wrote:

Interesting. One thing that I have always found fascinating about the
audiophile community is how many of us are photographers - and pretty serious
ones, at that.

Interesting. I do photograph, and I find digital to be ever so much
better than film. I do miss the magic of the chemical process (I'm
a chemist.) But digital really is oh so much better, and less
frustrating. Digital has the magic of Photoshop to compensate
for the lack of chemicals when doing your own darkroom stuff.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

I really do think so. Older vinyl lovers miss two things: the rituals of
vinyl play (which encompass the appreciation of liner notes and larger
album art, as well as actually preparing he LP and setup for playback)

Or alternatively:

-- "Vinyl lovers" don't care a lick for the "rituals" including the
album art,

I'd believe that if I hadn't read rather more than a few vinylphile
testimonials to the contrary. Certainly *some* vinylphiles miss the ritual
(which doesn't exclude also missing the 'sound')

Indeed, the album art is the only this *I* miss about the LP era.

and just like the way some or all of them sound.

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. It wasn't an either/or claim.

-- "CD lovers" like the convenience, smaller size, and that they are
more "modern", thereby affecting what they think they hear.

Undoubtedly we like most of those things, but as to modernity,
CDs are hardly the latest technology, as perhaps you've noticed.
As for what I 'think' they hear, I 'think' I hear
perfect pitch stability and freedom from surface noise on CDs --
remedying two of the annoyances I 'thought' I heard on LPs.
Happily, objective reality accords with what I 'think' in
this case.

Btw, it's also true that I prefer clear glass to colored glass,
for seeing what's on the other side. I just 'think'
it's a more accurate view.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_3_] Doug McDonald[_3_] is offline

So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board.

It's very simple. There are two things: some people actually
are attuned to bad reproduction. They adore the erros of analog,
especially clicks and pops and surface grunge.

The second is that some people are attuned to tweeking. They love
the care and feeding that LPs required. They are not as addicted to
CDs (or MP3s) as they were to LPs because it is too easy.
The addiction to LPs is actually an addiction to the sense of
success that some people get when successful at something hard.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 28, 4:23*pm, Doug McDonald wrote:
So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board.

It's very simple. There are two things: some people actually
are attuned to bad reproduction. They adore the erros of analog,
especially clicks and pops and surface grunge.

Not fair. Those are the errors that vinylphobes notice. Vinylphiles
are more attracted the that warm, resonant phase distortion, some
rolloff of otherwise harsh high frequencies, and maybe a little
unintentional vibrato, aka flutter.

The second is that some people are attuned to tweeking. They love
the care and feeding that LPs required. They are not as addicted to
CDs (or MP3s) as they were to LPs because it is too easy.
The addiction to LPs is actually an addiction to the sense of
success that some people get when successful at something hard.

Addiction is the wrong word here, but the point is a good one. Getting
good reproduction from digital is as easy as pushing a button. Getting
good reproduction from analog is something you have to earn through
hard work. Definitely a greater sense of accomplishment in the latter.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Doug McDonald wrote:

So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board.

It's very simple. There are two things: some people actually
are attuned to bad reproduction. They adore the erros of analog,
especially clicks and pops and surface grunge.

The second is that some people are attuned to tweeking. They love
the care and feeding that LPs required. They are not as addicted to
CDs (or MP3s) as they were to LPs because it is too easy.
The addiction to LPs is actually an addiction to the sense of
success that some people get when successful at something hard.

You can't imagine other options?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:43:35 -0700, Doug McDonald wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

Interesting. One thing that I have always found fascinating about the
audiophile community is how many of us are photographers - and pretty
serious
ones, at that.

Interesting. I do photograph, and I find digital to be ever so much
better than film. I do miss the magic of the chemical process (I'm
a chemist.) But digital really is oh so much better, and less
frustrating. Digital has the magic of Photoshop to compensate
for the lack of chemicals when doing your own darkroom stuff.

Doug McDonald

The only thing about digital vs film is that digital photographs are still
not as good as Kodachrome slides. Sure, for snapshots, digital is great, and
at 10 megapixels, its even great for large 16 X 20 prints. But on a big
screen high-definition TV, whether direct view or a projection set, viewing
digital pictures, even at 10 megapixels does not yield anywhere near the
crystal-clear resolution and quality of a Kodachrome slide projected with a
decent slide projector, and I miss that. Otherwise, what you say about the
joys of digital photography are correct.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

I really do think so. Older vinyl lovers miss two things: the rituals of
vinyl play (which encompass the appreciation of liner notes and larger
album art, as well as actually preparing he LP and setup for playback)

Or alternatively:

-- "Vinyl lovers" don't care a lick for the "rituals" including the
album art,

I'd believe that if I hadn't read rather more than a few vinylphile
testimonials to the contrary. Certainly *some* vinylphiles miss the ritual

I'd accept that, but not the absolute sort of statement that "older
vinyl lovers miss two things:"

(which doesn't exclude also missing the 'sound')

Indeed, the album art is the only this *I* miss about the LP era.

and just like the way some or all of them sound.

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. It wasn't an either/or claim.

Well, you DID say vinyl lovers miss two things. Some do indeed like
vinyl for other reasons.

-- "CD lovers" like the convenience, smaller size, and that they are
more "modern", thereby affecting what they think they hear.

Undoubtedly we like most of those things, but as to modernity,
CDs are hardly the latest technology, as perhaps you've noticed.

Of course I've noticed. But as perhaps you've noticed, CDs are in the
"modern" format of digital, as opposed to the older technology of
analogue.

As for what I 'think' they hear, I 'think' I hear
perfect pitch stability and freedom from surface noise on CDs --
remedying two of the annoyances I 'thought' I heard on LPs.
Happily, objective reality accords with what I 'think' in
this case.

Btw, it's also true that I prefer clear glass to colored glass,
for seeing what's on the other side. I just 'think'
it's a more accurate view.

That's great; one should listen to what sounds better to them, based on
their sonic priorities.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour[_2_] Mike Gilmour[_2_] is offline

"Doug McDonald" wrote in message
So, What I'd like to do is get opinions from this board.

It's very simple. There are two things: some people actually
are attuned to bad reproduction. They adore the erros of analog,
especially clicks and pops and surface grunge.

The second is that some people are attuned to tweeking. They love
the care and feeding that LPs required. They are not as addicted to
CDs (or MP3s) as they were to LPs because it is too easy.
The addiction to LPs is actually an addiction to the sense of
success that some people get when successful at something hard.

Doug McDonald

Personally speaking I abhor the care handling and cleaning routine that LPs
necessarily require. As my general preference is towards listening to vinyl
that routine is obviously essential to preserve the sonic quality of my
recordings therefore I accept it but grudgingly. I have gone down that route
of tranferring vinyl to CD but still prefer listening to the original LP.
In my collection I've several same recordings on both CD and LP and in most
cases I prefer the LP, to me it gives the illusion of being nearer to real
music in a believable space that I escape into.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:18:30 -0700, Mike Gilmour wrote
(in article ):

[...]

On LPs that sound superior to their CD counterparts, I agree. However, I have
found that transferring these LPs to CD STILL yields a CD that sounds
superior to the CD release of the same title. I have to admit that I have
NEVER done a blind comparison of one of these "super LPs" to a digital copy
of itself to see if I can detect any difference between the LP and the CD
copy of it.

In my collection I've several same recordings on both CD and LP and in most
cases I prefer the LP, to me it gives the illusion of being nearer to real
music in a believable space that I escape into.

Yes, that's a common comment and for the most part, I agree. I have lots of
CDs and SACDs which were bought to replace LPs of the same title, often the
LP still sounds better, but in some cases, the LP only hints at what was
obviously on the master tape. A couple of cases in-point off the top of my
head: The Vanguard LP of Virgil Thompson's "Plow that Broke The Plains" and
"The River" suites with Leopold Stokowski and the St. Louis Symphony. I
always thought that the LP sounded pretty good UNTIL I got the SACD
re-release. I was bowled over by how much better the SACD sounded over the
LP. Another case are all of the Everest releases (most of which were recorded
by the late Bert Whyte). Every vinyl copy of any Everest recording I've ever
heard was rubbish - including the original issues. The SACDs that have been
released are beautiful. Also. most VOX/Nonesuch pressing were terrible. The
recent SACD re-release of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe ballet by Skrowejewski and
the Minnesota Orchestra on Mobile Fidelity sounds glorious when compared with
the original Vox-Box release on vinyl (which I have).

OTOH, the Classic Records re-releases on vinyl of many of the RCA Victor Red
Seals sound somewhat better than the BMC released SACDs of these same titles,
with the 45-RPM/single sided reissues sounding best. But having said that,
the Red Seal RCA SACDs sound better than ANY previous re-release of this
material either on Vinyl or CD. I recognize that a lot of this has to do with
the quality of the re-mastering more than it has to do with the media, but,
there it is...

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 28, 7:18*pm, "Mike Gilmour" wrote:

I have gone down that route
of tranferring vinyl to CD but still prefer listening to the original LP.

There are two possible explanations for this:

1) You don't make very good digital copies; or

2) There's something other than the sound which leads you to prefer
playing the original LP.

In my collection I've several same recordings on both CD and LP and in most
cases I prefer the LP, to me it gives the illusion of being nearer to real
music in a believable space that I escape into.

Again, #2 above may offer at least a partial explanation for this.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

It is just down to my personal preference, I also have never completed a
strict blind comparison. I just feel although the CD copy is very good it
still just doesn't for me have that indefinable believability of vinyl - its
probably psychological in nature but there quite strongly for me
never-the-less.
Many may argue that because of the age of my system and the huge
technological advances in the interim I could be convinced otherwise - (but
have not yet been yet). My system harks back to ARC SP11 MkII, Koetsu Onyx
platinum, NRG plus modified Ray Lumley amplifiers, Infinity RS1b speakers
etc. - so generally very much of the 80's.

[...]

I haven't gone down the SACD route therefore I'm unable to comment but do
note with great interest what you say about Red Seal RCA's of which I have a
number.
My LP listening last night was for example was mixed, Elgar's Apostles & The
Kingdom, Boult. Shehedrin's Carmen. Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 Ozwa,
Chabrier Espana Paray and just for comparison the CD and LP of Mark
Knopflers Shangri-Lar, right from the start listening to '5:15am' the LP won
hands down.
Because being content with my system over many years therefore I have not
seeked advancement. I'm now 65 and probably have some age related HF loss
however whilst my system still sounds stunning to me (and others) I'll just
carry on finding good LP's and possibly now explore SACD.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:17:55 -0700, Mike Gilmour wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Yet, I doubt that most of your equipment would be bettered by anything newer
(maybe speakers excepted - they have improved more than electronics). As an
owner of an SP-11 MkII, myself, I can tell you that no modern preamp is any
better, and damned few are as comprehensive or as flexible. It basically
comes down to technology maturity. Amplifiers and preamp circuitry is a
pretty mature technology and little has changed in the last 20 or so years
(except the price).

[...]

I'm not sure you need to explore SACD. I don't find that it sounds
appreciably different from a good, modern, CD player. I have and SACD player
and hundreds of SACDs MOSTLY because Sony sent them to me to review. The
marvelous RCA SACD reissues are hybrid, two-layer discs and the wonderful
remastering that BMC has done on these perennials is as evident on the red
book layer as it is on the SACD layer.

While age is a factor with regard to HF extension in one's hearing, the brain
marvelously compensates. My good friend, J. Gordon Holt is near 80, yet when
he tells me that a certain speaker has terrible (or great) high frequency
performance, I can bank on it being true.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:32:44 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 28, 7:18*pm, "Mike Gilmour" wrote:

I have gone down that route
of tranferring vinyl to CD but still prefer listening to the original LP.

There are two possible explanations for this:

1) You don't make very good digital copies; or

2) There's something other than the sound which leads you to prefer
playing the original LP.

In my collection I've several same recordings on both CD and LP and in most
cases I prefer the LP, to me it gives the illusion of being nearer to real
music in a believable space that I escape into.

Again, #2 above may offer at least a partial explanation for this.

bob

Or, it just might be that he finds that vinyl sounds more like real music
played in real space to him - something that you seem to discount.

There is a certain type of audiophile who is looking for an illusion. That
illusion is of real musicians playing in real space in HIS listening room. We
are, most of us, asking a two-channel medium with imperfect transducers at
each end of the chain to do an impossible task. That being the case, we have
to "fill-in" the reproduction voids with both imagination and technology
which is psychoacoustically consonant with that goal.

Since that is what we are dealing with, it becomes clear that the possibility
exists that "accurate" actually does not necessarily equal more musical or
even more real. For a large number of posters on this group, it seems that
they believe that the more accurate the playback chain, the more realistic
the presentation simply HAS TO BE. There is no doubt that CD is more accurate
than LP, but for some reason, many people find LP more musically engaging. I
believe, that at its best, LP is MORE musical than CD, which does suggest
that the errors introduced by the old phonograph record and the system that
produces and plays it, can be more consonant with the sound of real music
played in a real space. And that this is so because and, in large measure, in
spite of, the fact that it is not terribly accurate.

That puts us in two camps: Those who say that the definition of High Fidelity
- "Faithful to the original" is best served by the performance being recorded
and played-back by systems which are as accurate as technology allows, and
the others who believe that this goal is best served by a palpable illusion
of the original performance. As I see it, neither side is strictly right or
wrong. This is a hobby. One that is hopefully driven by a love of music. LP
or CD, tubes or transistors, whatever gets one closer to the music, closer to
one's own muse, is the correct path.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 29, 3:00*pm, Sonnova wrote:
Or, it just might be that he finds that vinyl sounds more like real music
played in real space to him - something that you seem to discount.

I discount it because it isn't physically possible, given what he's
said. If he prefers the LP to an accurate CDR of the LP, then that
preference is based on something other than the *sound* of them,
because the sound of the two will be pretty much identical.

You're right about the fact that this is all about illusion. But the
illusion is not necessarily a function of the sound; it is a function
of the entire experience of LP vs. CD. And once you eliminate sound as
an explanation, you're left only with non-sonic factors. You seem to
not want to give up sound as an explanation, but in the case of LP vs.
CDR, that explanation isn't available.

believe, that at its best, LP is MORE musical than CD, which does suggest
that the errors introduced by the old phonograph record and the system that
produces and plays it, can be more consonant with the sound of real music
played in a real space. And that this is so because and, in large measure, in
spite of, the fact that it is not terribly accurate.

You do realize how implausible that is, don't you? The only way that a
more distorting medium can sound more like the original is if the
added distortion somehow reverses distortion earlier in the chain. I
think we can be pretty sure that's not what's happening. The more
plausible explanations a

1) He just likes the sound with the added distortion, and convinces
himself that he likes it because it "sounds closer to the real thing,"
even though it demonstrably doesn't.

2) The act of playing an LP influences his sonic judgment.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:07:10 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 29, 3:00*pm, Sonnova wrote:
Or, it just might be that he finds that vinyl sounds more like real music
played in real space to him - something that you seem to discount.

I discount it because it isn't physically possible, given what he's
said. If he prefers the LP to an accurate CDR of the LP, then that
preference is based on something other than the *sound* of them,
because the sound of the two will be pretty much identical.

I can't answer that because I have never A-B'd the two in a blind test so as
to make that determination. Logic says that they would be identical, and if,
in a blind test, I couldn't tell the LP from a CD made from it, then I'd have
to agree with that logic.

You're right about the fact that this is all about illusion. But the
illusion is not necessarily a function of the sound; it is a function
of the entire experience of LP vs. CD. And once you eliminate sound as
an explanation, you're left only with non-sonic factors. You seem to
not want to give up sound as an explanation, but in the case of LP vs.
CDR, that explanation isn't available.

I don't give up the sound as an explanation. It is my theory that the analog
distortions introduced by the LP are complementary to the music, and while
definitely not accurate, are, nonetheless, more "musical".

believe, that at its best, LP is MORE musical than CD, which does suggest
that the errors introduced by the old phonograph record and the system that
produces and plays it, can be more consonant with the sound of real music
played in a real space. And that this is so because and, in large measure,
in spite of, the fact that it is not terribly accurate.

You do realize how implausible that is, don't you? The only way that a
more distorting medium can sound more like the original is if the
added distortion somehow reverses distortion earlier in the chain.

Ah, I think we have hit upon a key phrase that might explain the seeming
difference in our outlook. You said, above, that more distortion can't sound
more like the original unless that distortion cancels other distortions
introduced earlier in the chain. At this point, it is not about the
presentation sounding more like the original. See, most of us weren't there
when the original was made, therefore the actual sound of the original is
largely irrelevant to the listening experience. What is relevant is how
musically satisfying the reproduction is to the listener. Whatever it takes
to complete the mental "picture" of real musicians playing in real space is
the important goal of music reproduction in the listening room - at least as
I see it. If an LP does that better than a CD, then so be it. Like I've said
before, I have LPs that sound so good, its difficult to believe that its a
recording, on the other hand I've digital recordings that give mighty
convincing glimpses of the muse too.

I think we can be pretty sure that's not what's happening.

I'm not as sure about that as you are.

The more
plausible explanations a

1) He just likes the sound with the added distortion, and convinces
himself that he likes it because it "sounds closer to the real thing,"
even though it demonstrably doesn't.

This is a good stab at it. It might not "sound closer to the real thing", but
it might sound more like real music played in real space. Like I said. few of
us have been lucky enough to be present at the "real thing", and thus don't
know what it actually sounded like. What we do have is our own particular
vision, based partially on aural memory and partly on imagination about what
the real thing "ought" to sound like.

BTW, I was lucky enough to be present at the recording of one very famous LP.
The recording, by Verve, in the early 1960's of Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd's
famous "Jazz Samba" album. It was recorded to 35mm magnetic film at "All
Souls Unitarian Church" in Washington DC, and I was there courtesy of a radio
station engineer friend of mine who found the venue for Byrd.

2) The act of playing an LP influences his sonic judgment.

That MIGHT be true to some extent, but certainly in my case I don't give it
much weight.

bob

There's no way that I'm going to convince you of this, but when distortion
"fills-in the blanks" of an incomplete facsimile, the brain integrates those
distortions into the overall experience, and depending upon what that
experience is, it can enrichen that experience. Digital lacks the vinyl
artifacts, therefore the facsimile of the performance in incomplete in a way
that can sound threadbare to some listeners. The analog artifacts "complete"
the picture, albeit with distortions not present in the original sound and
this can sound more "whole" than the more accurate, but more incomplete
digital presentation. This is hard to explain, but I hope that I have made my
hypothesis clear.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"bob" wrote in message
On Sep 28, 7:18 pm, "Mike Gilmour" wrote:

I have gone down that route
of tranferring vinyl to CD but still prefer listening to the original LP.

There are two possible explanations for this:

1) You don't make very good digital copies; or

2) There's something other than the sound which leads you to prefer
playing the original LP.

I believe that is called "begging the question". You rule out any other
possibility by fiat, then conclude it must be one of these two.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Doug McDonald wrote:

It's very simple. There are two things: some people actually
are attuned to bad reproduction. They adore the erros of analog,
especially clicks and pops and surface grunge.

It might be that some older music lovers just have a lot of records and
never got around to replacing them.

The second is that some people are attuned to tweeking. They love
the care and feeding that LPs required.

I think there is a lot to that.

I have a many records I listen to; they are in good shape and it's what I
grew up on. I'd never advise anyone to get involved with records unless
they just want to make it a hobby, and have plenty of disposable income. I
personally don't see the point, from a music and sonic standpoint. Some
music may sound as good on records, as CD. But, say, for lieder and Wagner
opera, the limitations of records are very obvious. That does not mean one
cannot enjoy them if that's what they have. But why start out backwards?

Also, in many respects, phono cartridges are just men's jewelry. One only
need look at the latest line of Koetsu pick-ups. Most men don't want to
wear jade earrings. But they have no qualms about putting jade and gold on
their record player.

Michael
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
On Sep 29, 3:00*pm, Sonnova wrote:
Or, it just might be that he finds that vinyl sounds more like real music
played in real space to him - something that you seem to discount.

I discount it because it isn't physically possible, given what he's
said. If he prefers the LP to an accurate CDR of the LP, then that
preference is based on something other than the *sound* of them,
because the sound of the two will be pretty much identical.

It should be. There could be ways to screw that up, of course.
Or even a simple thing like, the output level of the playback CDP being
different enough from that of the phono stage, to produce an audible
level difference (whcih can easily 'translate' into a report of 'quality' difference).
Level matching would be a must for a fair comparison...as would
doing the comparison 'blind', which would be tough since it
would require time-synching.

You're right about the fact that this is all about illusion. But the
illusion is not necessarily a function of the sound; it is a function
of the entire experience of LP vs. CD. And once you eliminate sound as
an explanation, you're left only with non-sonic factors. You seem to
not want to give up sound as an explanation, but in the case of LP vs.
CDR, that explanation isn't available.

Analogophiles, for whatever reason, seem to really want to believe that
there's something ineffable that digital can't capture, even when
it's just a 'capture' of an analog recording like an LP
(rather than of a live event).

believe, that at its best, LP is MORE musical than CD, which does suggest
that the errors introduced by the old phonograph record and the system that
produces and plays it, can be more consonant with the sound of real music
played in a real space. And that this is so because and, in large measure, in
spite of, the fact that it is not terribly accurate.

You do realize how implausible that is, don't you? The only way that a
more distorting medium can sound more like the original is if the
added distortion somehow reverses distortion earlier in the chain.

Or later. The other way would be if it luckily mitigates 'typical'
loudspeaker and listening room response errors...whatever those might be.
(They'd have to be typical enough to account for LP preference in
a wide variety of speakers and rooms.)

All of which seems odd because, before the dawn of CD, the deficiencies of
LP playback were a common source of complaint in the audio hobby world.
Regardless of whether some feel CD did not fulfill the promise,
they can't deny what the 'state of play' was before it, and how
eagerly a new solution was awaited...and why.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

I have not followed this thread in any detail but have seen the lines it
has taken. Aside from the obvious problem of comparing apples to apples
for the same recording on different media we are left still where many of
these questions start. What part of what is percieved is in the signal
when it reaches the ear and what part the end product of the perception
process of the brain.

I mention again a test to address this question. A lp was recorded into a
digital format. With the usual attempts to control potential confoundrs
such as playback level etc. people were asked to tell which was which in a
blind test. They could not.

Thus any factor that is said to be added or lost or otherwise modified by
media choice did not appear. What ever was on the lp was faithfully and
realistically captured in full as far as listening alone goes.

If a lp is made of a mic feed and from the same feed put on a cd then any
difference appearing in the test would be most logically a product of
something being added by the lp recording process and not the cd. This is
because the above test already established that whatever signal is fed it
is there to be played back via the cd.

If the lp is said to have some different attribute then it is on the order
of signal processing and added effects in nature that did not exist at the
mic feed.. If the mic feed is as "real" as can be captured then whatever
the added lp attribute can not bemore "real" nor "musical" compared to the
music as it was being recorded and found at the mic feed.

One can like the added signal processing and effects but that is another
matter. It is a processing and effect outcome not intended by the artists
involved or they would have added it themselves as an artistic decision.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
bob wrote:
[...]

FYI recording chain wes SP11 Delta DiO 2496 soundcard Adobe Audition
CD
Tried again today and recorded LP to CD, playback level matched and I still
continue to prefer the LP to the CD copy, no doubt it's an illusion for
whatever reason.
However I accept illusionary as no double blind tests were involved in my
choice of my equipment, just my ears after a period of home trial.
I accepted this as with my choice of cables. I still prefer to this day the
unmanageable and generally unsightly Cogan-Hall as I believe they sound much
better than other cables I've heard the system though I'm sure double blind
tests would show otherwise. I accept the illusion though scientifically I
would really prefer to know the specific reason why this happens atall.

You're right about the fact that this is all about illusion. But the
illusion is not necessarily a function of the sound; it is a function
of the entire experience of LP vs. CD. And once you eliminate sound as
an explanation, you're left only with non-sonic factors. You seem to
not want to give up sound as an explanation, but in the case of LP vs.
CDR, that explanation isn't available.

Analogophiles, for whatever reason, seem to really want to believe that
there's something ineffable that digital can't capture, even when
it's just a 'capture' of an analog recording like an LP
(rather than of a live event).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:49:52 -0700, Mike Gilmour wrote
(in article ):

bob wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, I don't think computer sound cards do a very good job at
this (unless they are VERY expensive professional cards from the likes of
Apogee, and the like). I've always had better results (sonically) from CDs
made on my TASCAM CD-RW700 stand-alone CD recorder.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:48:08 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I think that this is a given. Yes, when a CD and an LP are made from the SAME
master tape, and they sound different (for whatever reason) then we must
assume that something was added to, or is missing from, one or the other
mediums either in the mastering process or in the playback -and maybe both.

If the lp is said to have some different attribute then it is on the order
of signal processing and added effects in nature that did not exist at the
mic feed.. If the mic feed is as "real" as can be captured then whatever
the added lp attribute can not bemore "real" nor "musical" compared to the
music as it was being recorded and found at the mic feed.

Agreed.

One can like the added signal processing and effects but that is another
matter.

Actually, I think its the heart and crux of the matter. If the added signal
processing and effects make one medium sound better to a lot of listeners
than do the versions without these added signal processing and effects, then
that's THE difference. Remember, we are NOT talking about reality here.
Ostensibly none of us were at the original recording session, we are talking
about the illusion of having some imagined reality reproduced in our own
listening rooms.

It is a processing and effect outcome not intended by the artists
involved or they would have added it themselves as an artistic decision.

Not necessarily. If the limits of the medium available at the time of
mastering resulted in a certain sound, then believe me, everybody from the A
& R guy down to the disc mastering engineer is going to do whatever is
necessary and possible and practicable to make the finished result sound like
the master tape.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
[...]

Ok, thanks, a valid point regarding the sound card. I'll try again tomorrow
on what I have, which is a Tascam DA-45HR DAT and burn the CD from the
digital output. I'll use high speed on the DAT to be at it's best quality.
I've done many HR recordings of live venues on this DAT with Millenia Media
HV-3B mic pre and Neumann mics in the past so I know of its transparency.
Similiarly like you I also used to collect CD promo's, as I presented a two
hour live jazz programme each week on local radio for years so still my jazz
collection exceeds that of my classical choices by a considerable margin.
(My only wish is that I'd done it all a lot earlier when vinyl promo's were
available)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
[...]

Actually, many modern computer sounds cards , and certainly those of the M-audio Delta class,
do a *very* good job at this. I use an M-Audio 2496 myself for LP transfers.

I've always had better results (sonically) from CDs
made on my TASCAM CD-RW700 stand-alone CD recorder.

But your evaluation probably suffered from the same methodologiccal flaw that the Mike
acknowledges in his. I.e., it wasn't done double blind. And that's imporatant because there's
no objective reason to expect a REAL sonic difference between recording from LP on a
Delta 2496 and your standalone Tascam, assuming matched levels and a non-pathological
computer environment for the M-audio card.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 05:59:36 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

bob wrote:
[...]

Computers tend to be noisy environments with all manner of high frequency
square-waves and general hash flowing around and radiating from them. While
many sound card vendors are careful to provide as much common-mode protection
as possible, the amount of shielding needed to keep this garbage out of the
incoming audio is generally only available in very expensive cards. Try this.
using a shorting plug on the input, try making a CD on your computer of
NOTHING and then play it back on your stereo system. You'll have to turn the
volume up, of course, but you will hear what I'm talking about. Now, use a
good, stand-alone recorder like the earlier mentioned TASCAM and make a
recording on it from the similarly shorted analog inputs and listen to it. It
will likely be pretty close to dead quiet.

Oil For Food? Lionel Audio Opinions 0 October 16th 04 10:01 PM
Food for mind Lionel Audio Opinions 0 January 27th 04 10:35 PM
More food for thought Sandman Audio Opinions 3 January 25th 04 08:50 PM
Studio Food Johnston West Pro Audio 40 December 15th 03 07:45 PM