Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Smith Dave Smith is offline

Default self powered speakers

I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver in the living
room. It's a hassle dealing with the remote and I have no interest in
surround sound or being loud. So what I'm considering is hooking up all
of my components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using self
powered speakers.

I have listened to the Bang and Olufsen's at the mall and was not very
impressed, especially at the price point. But perhaps that was due to
the setting. Since this will be for the living room I am not looking
for speakers for use in critical listening, but of course I do want
them to sound good.

Any recommendations?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 23, 4:54*pm, Dave Smith wrote:

Any recommendations?

Advent made a reasonable self-powered speaker - hard to find.
Revox made an excellent self-powered speaker - very nearly impossible
to find in the US.
Accoustat made a pre-amp/line-level driven electrostatic in the past -
not sure if that meets your needs given your resistance to the B&O
Price-point. Jensen and JBL made quite feeble and febrile attempts at
the same as did BIC. And, of course, Martin-Logan made/makes such
speakers at the price of a small house.

After which are the entire run of self-powered sub/sat systems from
the likes of Advent/AR/Jensen et.al. distinguised by their
unremarkability. And if you want "NEW", your choices at a limited
price-point are even fewer and less remarkable.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Smith Dave Smith is offline

I suppose another option would be to hook all my components into the tv
for simplicity and then power the speakers with a very small high end
amplifier. Maybe a Naim. I'm open to thoughts.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:

I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver in the living
room. It's a hassle dealing with the remote and I have no interest in
surround sound or being loud. So what I'm considering is hooking up all
of my components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using self
powered speakers.

I have listened to the Bang and Olufsen's at the mall and was not very
impressed, especially at the price point. But perhaps that was due to
the setting. Since this will be for the living room I am not looking
for speakers for use in critical listening, but of course I do want
them to sound good.

Any recommendations?

Wharfedale 8.2 Pro.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver
in the living room. It's a hassle dealing with the remote
and I have no interest in surround sound or being loud.
So what I'm considering is hooking up all of my
components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using
self powered speakers.

Any recommendations?

Check out the wonders of the world of professional audio. Powered speakers
are very common, there.

While they aren't self-powered, I've long appreciated my NHT Pro A-10 studio
monitors for music listening.

I have a number of friends who are using Behringer B2030As, some for
surround, some in stereo.

Mackie HR 824s sound good.

If you can find them used, the Paradigm "Active 20" powered monitors were
very good.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

On 23 Aug 2008 21:54:53 GMT, Dave Smith wrote:

I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver in the living
room. It's a hassle dealing with the remote and I have no interest in
surround sound or being loud. So what I'm considering is hooking up all
of my components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using self
powered speakers.

I have listened to the Bang and Olufsen's at the mall and was not very
impressed, especially at the price point. But perhaps that was due to
the setting. Since this will be for the living room I am not looking
for speakers for use in critical listening, but of course I do want
them to sound good.

Any recommendations?

AudioEngine 2 or AudioEngine 5 maybe? See
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/ and
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...audioengine-a5

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver in the living
room. It's a hassle dealing with the remote and I have no interest in
surround sound or being loud. So what I'm considering is hooking up all
of my components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using self
powered speakers.

I have listened to the Bang and Olufsen's at the mall and was not very
impressed, especially at the price point. But perhaps that was due to
the setting. Since this will be for the living room I am not looking
for speakers for use in critical listening, but of course I do want
them to sound good.

Any recommendations?

If you want 'active speaker' as we pros call them, look at the lower end
pro-audio offerings. There's lots to choose from and some are totally
excellent. Of course you won't find them in your hi-fi shop but some models
may be stocked by MI dealers. You would get some decent advice in
rec.audio.pro.

What's your budget ? How loud (and how low) do you want to go etc. All this
info will help find the right speaker for you. I doubt a PMC would ever
disappoint btw. They do cater for both the hi-fi and pro market.
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DJ[_3_] DJ[_3_] is offline

Hi Dave,

I was just researching this very topic yesterday. The stand-out value in a
powered speaker system that I found was the ADAM Audio A7. It was available
yesterday on clearance, but today it looks to be sold out at Musician's
Friend anyway. They are saying that it's discontinued. Behringer makes a
good monitor called TRUTH that you could examine. There are many available
at your local pro audio/music store for you to audition, or you could go on
eBay or just do a search on Bizrate, or Shopzilla, or even Amazon, etc. to
find discounts on these type of monitors.

Happy listening!

-DJ

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I would like to completely eliminate my stereo receiver in the living room.
It's a hassle dealing with the remote and I have no interest in surround
sound or being loud. So what I'm considering is hooking up all of my
components to the tv inputs (I have lots) and then using self powered
speakers.

I have listened to the Bang and Olufsen's at the mall and was not very
impressed, especially at the price point. But perhaps that was due to the
setting. Since this will be for the living room I am not looking for
speakers for use in critical listening, but of course I do want them to
sound good.

Any recommendations?

Powered Speakers versus Powered Mixers [email protected] Pro Audio 9 February 23rd 06 02:09 PM
D.A.S powered speakers JGreen Pro Audio 0 May 26th 04 07:43 PM
Powered Speakers? MS General 24 October 27th 03 02:37 AM
M-Box with Powered speakers IS Pro Audio 3 September 15th 03 04:30 PM
Powered Speakers Billy Bee Pro Audio 0 September 8th 03 05:24 PM