Michael M. Koch

Default The state of thee music industry in general, and Pro Audio...

Okay, so we all know that the studio biz in in the ****ter. (More or less.
NOTE: this statement applies to the New York Metro / Tri-State area, and I
cannot personally vouch for anywhere else. Although I would suspect it
applies to the recording industry in general.) The questions I present to
YOU, the people at the front and in the proverbial trenches are thus:

1. Will the glory days of lots of big-budget projects for everybody come
back, and if so how soon?

2. Where will the next big boom in recording come from? (Another round of
hip hop, indie rock, dance, etc.)

3. Will MP3 eventually kill the CD in much the same way as CD's have all but
killed casettes?

I'm just curious as to what people's opinions and thoughts are in these
stressful times as we all try to make sense of the big picture.

I have no answers.
Mike.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Michael M. Koch" wrote in message ...

Okay, so we all know that the studio biz in in the ****ter.

Quick.... flush it! It's so crowded, we'll split what doesn't go down.

The questions I present to
YOU, the people at the front and in the proverbial trenches are thus:

Front?.... Nah. Trenches? I'm there - not proverbial, very, very real.

1. Will the glory days of lots of big-budget projects for everybody come
back, and if so how soon?

No. Only for the chosen few. (Egg Hd?)

2. Where will the next big boom in recording come from?

A nuclear blast ?

3. Will MP3 eventually kill the CD in much the same way as CD's have all but
killed casettes?

No way.

I'm just curious as to what people's opinions and thoughts are in these
stressful times as we all try to make sense of the big picture.

Sorry this is so short, but I'm trying to make sense out of a next gig.

I have no answers.

Come to think of it... I guess I didn't either.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

SPLDesign

I'd be interested in reading that article about the aging boomers filling the
gap. What is PSW? Is that another newsgroup? Thanks.
John LeBlanc

"SPLDesign" wrote in message

What is PSW? Is that another newsgroup? Thanks.

PSW stands for ProSoundWeb, a damned fine Internet destination for pro
audio: http://www.prosoundweb.com

Be sure to stop by the RecPit and visit Fletcher's and Harvey's forums.

John

EggHd

1. Will the glory days of lots of big-budget projects for everybody come
back, and if so how soon?

If there are lots of big records and big trends. Not knowing the demo of the
posters, it's not unusual for another generations of producers/engineers and
studios to be now doing the work and the "older" people sitting idle.

Who ever has a recent hit on their resume will be working but that's what's
it's always been about.

2. Where will the next big boom in recording come from? (Another round of
hip hop, indie rock, dance, etc.)

When we all find out about it it may be already on the way down.

3. Will MP3 eventually kill the CD in much the same way as CD's have all but
killed casettes?

We'll see.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

Labels will ask artists for a triple album each time as opposed to the
double they are getting these days!

Where does this information come from?

---------------------------------------
willp17

(SPLDesign) wrote in message ...
I'd be interested in reading that article about the aging boomers filling the gap. What is PSW? Is that another newsgroup? Thanks.

PSW is ProSoundWeb, a recording forum. This particular article was in
Mixerman's forum on the RecPit. I gotta tell ya, it is food for
thought! Here's a little bit of it and the url to the article is at
the bottom.

The Next Big (or Old?) Thing
An Exercise in Self-Convincing Reality

By: Larry Mistrot (Associate Writer)
2003-06-27

"Could it be that the Next Big Thing in popular music could come from
a completely unexpected direction - mom & pop? That's right kids, your
dad may be competing with your favorite pop diva or boy band –
climbing the charts on the Internet. Not so! Incredible! Not
possible! - you say?

Today more and more baby-boomers are getting back to their roots -
musically speaking. Those who gave up the notion of ever having their
music distributed at all in the past can take another look at the
possibility of claiming their 15 minutes of fame right now. And it
wouldn't be a surprise to see them turn some heads - or ears, that is.

Dormant musicians with 30 years behind them in playing, writing,
producing and maybe even performing are dusting off their axes, buying
new ones and getting into the groove with the latest music production
technology. But this time things are different. No more scrimping and
scrapping for more available tracks or trying to figure a way to avoid
sound degradation due to numerous generations of "ping-ponging." All
of that has been taken care of now.

Musicians that were born and bred in the 60's were raised on a
fundamental understanding of what makes popular music work - since
they were there to see it emerge. That's right, even today's music has
the same basic components."

Read the whole article at:

http://www.musicdish.com/mag/?id=8255
Michael M. Koch

The Next Big (or Old?) Thing
An Exercise in Self-Convincing Reality

By: Larry Mistrot (Associate Writer)
2003-06-27

As a fan of all things Rock & Roll, this is a very intriguing concept. I can
definately imagine scores of indie rock people being totally enamored with
40-to-60-somethings coming out with a new album (CD, whatever you want to
call it.) And by the sheer novelty of it, who knows, the first group to do
this would probably be really huge and all over MTV and on TRL and all that
nonsense. UNTIL... thee 33 1/3 second attention span of the 13 to 18 year
old demographic is exhausted, the novelty wears off, and then it's back to
boy bands and Russian lesbians. The old rockers will still be around, but I
don't see that being the next 'big thing' any more than the White Stripes
have made 16-track 1-inch the next 'big thing'. My apologies for the
cynicism.

I know nothing
Mike.

"Could it be that the Next Big Thing in popular music could come from
a completely unexpected direction - mom & pop? That's right kids, your
dad may be competing with your favorite pop diva or boy band -
climbing the charts on the Internet. Not so! Incredible! Not
possible! - you say?

EggHd

Labels will ask artists for a triple album each time as opposed to the
double they are getting these days!

Where does this information come from?

It's called conjecture. Surely you've heard of it.

It looks like a statement to me. How do you see that as being conjecture?

---------------------------------------
Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:21:09 -0400, "Michael M. Koch"
wrote:

Great. The guy performing life-saving heart surgery is really the bass
player in "Powerslave", an Iron Maiden tribute band.

Sounds kinda like a Village People tribute band. Don't
want to know...

Chris Hornbeck,
guyville{at}aristotle{dot}net
question Authority

litepipe

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
"Album concept?" Horse**** - they want to preserve the income they
(and everyone else along the food chain) get from selling the other
dozen songs nobody really wants to hear.

Yeah, there really aren't a lot of what I would consider "great" albums
anymore. There are some ofcourse, but a lot of the times I hear stuff that
shouldn't have made it. I don't think that the trend going back to singles
is such a bad idea. Maybe there would be more quality and more of a chance
for smaller artists to prosper.

--litepipe

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

Didja hear that two famous groups who I don't think I've ever heard
and whose names escape me have just announced that they won't sell
their music by the song through Apple's iTunes? They say they want to
preserve the album concept. One is one of the ones that came out
against Napster,

I just heard about that, it's Metallica.

and the other is about the same.

Did you hear this NPR story on Itunes featuring Stephen St. Croix,
who is "addicted," has 7,000 songs he bought off Itunes, and whose
current goal is to "go a day without buying a song:"

http://discover.npr.org/features/fea...l?wfId=1308449

"Album concept?" Horse**** - they want to preserve the income they
(and everyone else along the food chain) get from selling the other
dozen songs nobody really wants to hear.

I wonder how many "Deep Album Cuts" (Claasic Rock Radio's term, ten
years ago, for an album's "minor hit") are being bought off Itunes.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )