Posted to rec.audio.car
John Taylor John Taylor is offline

Default Amplified Equalizer(newbie)

I hope this group is open to newbie questions, if not, please excuse it.

Back in the 80's I had a stereo system installed in my work van. The
receiver or head unit I think they are called now wasn't anything special
may have even been stock. They installed a Clarion 5 band equalizer which if
I remember was amplified. They also installed two 5" tweeters and two 6 x 9
coaxial both of decent quality (I believe). Well the short of it was that it
sounded really good. Good separation of tones, I could hear instruments I
never knew were in a particular tune. Instrumental tunes sounded especially
good with very little distortion or static at high volumes. In the past I've
always listened to music with the treble high and the bass low, so I believe
have more interest in the high tones rather than heavy bass as music seems
to be listened to today.

Questions if anyone cares to answer. I'm sure it's still possible to install
such a system but what should I be looking for?

Do they still make amplified equalizers? Road noise is a problem in a van so
volume is required or desirable.

Is this a system I could or should install myself or should I take it in and
have it installed at a car audio shop?

I'm in Ann Arbor, MI any thoughts on a good shop for all this?

Thanks in advance,

John T.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chrisngem Chrisngem is offline

Always open to newbie questions - everyone has to start somewheres.

One thing: since you're looking for an amp/EQ, I would figure it would
be relatively modest - what's your budget?

And will this be going into a stock vehicle, or are there other
components installed?

--
Chrisngem

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Taylor John Taylor is offline

Thanks for the response. As far as budget I'm not sure how much all this
costs I was thinking somewhere in the area of $1,000.00 to $1,500.00. That
said though I spend alot of time on the road and would really like some good
sound.

I've probabably already dated myself but I like 60's & 70's rock & roll,
acid rock and so forth. Sounded quite good with my old system.

Vehicle is a stock E350 ford work van. There are speakers currently in the
door only (I believe) If I remember correctly the old system had tweeters
in the doors (maybe dash though) and coaxials in the wall behind the driver
that seperates the cab from the cargo area.

Amplified FM antennas CLM in ND Tech 8 December 26th 06 04:14 PM
Amplified Thunderform Question Tony F Car Audio 8 April 1st 06 12:28 AM
Amplified AM/FM Antenna Wil Tech 3 November 24th 04 03:17 PM
Best Amplified FM Antennae? Dan Tech 0 February 11th 04 03:16 AM
need amplified tv antenna for wheelchair Richard Galli Car Audio 1 November 13th 03 07:04 AM