Andrew Barss

Default Power level differences DVR/CD player

I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo TX-SR 303), and have run into a
puzzle. Connected to the CD drive, it sounds great, with a ton of volume
(turning the volume up to 25%, in an 18x18 room, is more than enough).

But it barely puts out anything at all when I'm playing my TiVo and TV.
There is a signal there, but even at maximum volume it's not much more
than the TV's speakers. The manual, though very clear, only describes
how to hook up one component at a time, not a HT system with TiVom, DVD,
CD, and VCR all together.

I know I've got something hooked up wrong, but I don't know what. There
is a direct RCA cable link from the CD player to the CD inputs on the
receiver, and a direct connection between the TiVo's audio out to Video1
inputs on the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated --

Andy Barss
ScottW

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo TX-SR 303), and have run into a
puzzle. Connected to the CD drive, it sounds great, with a ton of volume
(turning the volume up to 25%, in an 18x18 room, is more than enough).

But it barely puts out anything at all when I'm playing my TiVo and TV.
There is a signal there, but even at maximum volume it's not much more
than the TV's speakers. The manual, though very clear, only describes
how to hook up one component at a time, not a HT system with TiVom, DVD,
CD, and VCR all together.

I know I've got something hooked up wrong, but I don't know what. There
is a direct RCA cable link from the CD player to the CD inputs on the
receiver, and a direct connection between the TiVo's audio out to Video1
inputs on the receiver.

On my Pioneer you have to associate the input selected with with either the
analog input or the digital coax input. I think Video1 may be default
selected to the coax digital input. Try changing the source selection to
analog. Can't read the button labels on Onkyo web site but mine has a
source selection that toggles from input from auto (where its supposed to
take whichever input has a signal but it doesn't work that well) to digital
to analog and back to auto.

ScottW

George Middius

Andrew Barss said:

I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo TX-SR 303), and have run into a
puzzle. Connected to the CD drive, it sounds great, with a ton of volume
(turning the volume up to 25%, in an 18x18 room, is more than enough).

But it barely puts out anything at all when I'm playing my TiVo and TV.
There is a signal there, but even at maximum volume it's not much more
than the TV's speakers. The manual, though very clear, only describes
how to hook up one component at a time, not a HT system with TiVom, DVD,
CD, and VCR all together.

I know I've got something hooked up wrong, but I don't know what. There
is a direct RCA cable link from the CD player to the CD inputs on the
receiver, and a direct connection between the TiVo's audio out to Video1
inputs on the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated --

Check the receiver's audio input settings. They should be Fixed (not Variable).
Same for the Tivo's output. Also, make sure you're using the Tivo's analog audio
outputs (not digital).