Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adam[_2_] Adam[_2_] is offline

Default aux return/send

hey. i have a ****ty mackie mixer.. the aux returns are both stereo, but
each aux send is mono.. when i have say aux1 on a stereo track it's
predominantly on the left side.. if i pan 100% to the right there's
always a reading on the left master fader (when i apply no effect there
is no signal on the left side).. is this because i have it setup wrong or
because my mixer doesn't have a stereo send? if it matters i have the
effect comming sent to post vs setting it to pre.. any suggestions?
Thanks,

-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 30, 12:42 pm, Adam "" wrote:
hey. i have a ****ty mackie mixer.. the aux returns are both stereo, but
each aux send is mono..

No, you don't have a ****ty Mackie mixer (unless it's CFX or DFX
series - those are kind of ****ty). You have a ****ty understanding of
signal routing through a mixer. You can download Mackie's ****ty
manual for your mixer which will probalby explain everything. Or
download their ****ty Compact Mixer Reference Guide at:

http://www.mackie.com/support/compactmixer/index.html

when i have say aux1 on a stereo track it's
predominantly on the left side.. if i pan 100% to the right there's
always a reading on the left master fader (when i apply no effect there
is no signal on the left side).. is this because i have it setup wrong or
because my mixer doesn't have a stereo send?

Please clarify what you're talking about. The Aux Sends are, as you
observed, mono. Many stereo effect units, but not all, have one jack,
usually the left input, that sends a mono signal to both channels of
the effect unit. If you connect the Aux Send to that jack, AND you
connect the stereo output to the left and right Aux Return inputs, AND
you have the effect unit set up properly, you should get a reasonably
well balanced effect signal coming back into the mixer. But of course
if the INPUT CHANNEL is panned all the way to one side, then the Main
Mix will naturally be heavy on that side.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Adam "" wrote:
hey. i have a ****ty mackie mixer.. the aux returns are both stereo, but
each aux send is mono..

Because the channel strip is mono. You got a mono signal coming down the
strip, and the aux buss splits it off.

when i have say aux1 on a stereo track it's
predominantly on the left side..

How are you putting a stereo track into a mono channel strip?

if i pan 100% to the right there's
always a reading on the left master fader (when i apply no effect there
is no signal on the left side).. is this because i have it setup wrong or
because my mixer doesn't have a stereo send? if it matters i have the
effect comming sent to post vs setting it to pre.. any suggestions?

Okay, you have a stereo signal source. It's coming into channel strip 1
(left) and channel strip 2 (right), and you have those two strips panned
left and right respectively so they are sent to left and right of the
stereo buss.

Now, you take channel strip 1, and you bring up aux 1 on it, so some of
that lefthand signal is sent to aux 1. You take channel strip 2, and you
bring up aux 2 on it, so some of the righthand signal is sent to aux 2.

Now, you have left and right aux sends on aux 1 and 2 out. If it makes
you feel better you can put sticky tape on the aux 1 and 2 knobs that say
AUX L and AUX R.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Adam "" wrote:

hey. i have a ****ty mackie mixer

CFX or DFX? Those are the really ****ty ones.

I have a Mackie mixer, too, but mine isn't ****ty like yours is. I
wonder what is the difference?

Mine came with a manual, which is handy for figuring out aux sends and
returns and gain staging and stuff like that. If yours came without a
manual, through the wonders of the Internet thing you might be able to
locate and download it, heck, maybe even read it. No telling what-all
you might learn that way.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86[_2_] Agent 86[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

You can download Mackie's ****ty
manual for your mixer which will probalby explain everything. Or
download their ****ty Compact Mixer Reference Guide at:

http://www.mackie.com/support/compactmixer/index.html

And it's way less ****ty than that old Trubitt book.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 30, 6:59 pm, Agent 86 wrote:

http://www.mackie.com/support/compactmixer/index.html

And it's way less ****ty than that old Trubitt book.

Thank you, thank you, ladies and gennelmen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

i have everything set up correctly.. maybe i explained it wrong. let me
try again. say i plug the pod xt into channels 1 and 2 (left on 1 and
right on 2) OR connecting it to the stereo line in inputs. either way,
when i have aux 1 turned up halfway, for either scenario, when i pan to
all the way to the right there are still levels comming out of the left
channel of the master track (the db levels for left and right on the
main mix). I've read the manuals. I've posted enough in this group to
realize that you assume everyone does things half ass and doesn't read
manuals when they have a question.
-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 30, 9:21 pm, Adam wrote:
i have everything set up correctly.. maybe i explained it wrong. let me
try again. say i plug the pod xt into channels 1 and 2 (left on 1 and
right on 2) OR connecting it to the stereo line in inputs. either way,
when i have aux 1 turned up halfway, for either scenario, when i pan to
all the way to the right there are still levels comming out of the left
channel of the master track (the db levels for left and right on the
main mix).

Sorry, but I still don't get what you're talking about.

What Aux 1 are you turning halfway up? Aux 1 Send or Aux 1 Return?
What is Aux 1 send connected to?
What is Aux 1 Return connected to?
What is the input to the Pod? A guitar plugged directly into it?

And finally, what mixer do you have? They have model numbers, you
know, and they aren't all the same.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:21 pm, Adam wrote:

What Aux 1 are you turning halfway up? Aux 1 Send or Aux 1 Return?

-There are two AUX Return/Sends. Each channel on the mixer has an option
to turn up AUX 1 and AUX 2. Then there is a section on the mixer that
has a "AUX 1 Master" knob with a "AUX 1 Select" button for it to be
"PRE" or "POST." There are also two knobs for both AUX Returns. I Have
the Aux 1 Master halfway up, as well as the AUX 1 Return; I have the AUX
1 Select set to "post."

What is Aux 1 send connected to?

-Lexicon MPX1 Left Input

What is Aux 1 Return connected to?

-Lexicon MPX1 Outputs

What is the input to the Pod? A guitar plugged directly into it?

-I Connect the guitar to the POD input and then the left/right outputs
going into channels 5-6 (which is a stereo line in on the mixer)

And finally, what mixer do you have? They have model numbers, you
know, and they aren't all the same.

-MACKIE 1202-VLZ PRO

Thanks again for the help,

-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On May 1, 1:37 pm, Adam wrote:

-MACKIE 1202-VLZ PRO

-I Connect the guitar to the POD input and then the left/right outputs
going into channels 5-6 (which is a stereo line in on the mixer)

That's reasonable. Without the reverb connected (or the Aux Return 1
turned all the way down) and the Pan control on channel 5-6 in the
center you should get reasonably balanced stereo out of the Pod.

What is Aux 1 send connected to?

-Lexicon MPX1 Left Input
What is Aux 1 Return connected to?

-Lexicon MPX1 Outputs

OK, that explains why what's coming out of the reverb (to the Aux
Returns) is left-heavy. Here, let me read to you from the manual:

"Mono Applications: Using the MPX 1 Inputs with a Mono Source

Many of the programs in the MPX 1 are designed to process stereo input
signals. These programs will also work and sound great with mono
signals - but you need to configure the unit for mono. It will not
automatically compensate for single-wire mono input connections.

There are two ways to use the MPX 1 in an installation where its
inputs will be driven from a single, mono source:
· Use a Y-connector to send the signal to both inputs.
· Connect the mono signal to either the Left or Right input connector,
then
change the System mode Audio Input Mode parameter. If the Left input
is
connected, change the setting to Mono (L only). If the Right input is
connected, change it to Mono (R only). "

That's what you gotta do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:21 pm, Adam wrote:
i have everything set up correctly.. maybe i explained it wrong. let me
try again. say i plug the pod xt into channels 1 and 2 (left on 1 and
right on 2) OR connecting it to the stereo line in inputs. either way,
when i have aux 1 turned up halfway, for either scenario, when i pan to
all the way to the right there are still levels comming out of the left
channel of the master track (the db levels for left and right on the
main mix).

Sorry, but I still don't get what you're talking about.

What Aux 1 are you turning halfway up? Aux 1 Send or Aux 1 Return?
What is Aux 1 send connected to?
What is Aux 1 Return connected to?
What is the input to the Pod? A guitar plugged directly into it?

And finally, what mixer do you have? They have model numbers, you
know, and they aren't all the same.

And are the patch cables TRS or TS? That can matter going into the
stereo channels.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

thanks again for all the help,

-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

Adam wrote:

how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

I have racks full of effects, and they're all connected in this "one in,
two" fashion. I felt like you at first, but it really is fine.

I'm sure someone will give you an answer, and most likely there answer
will be "a lot more".

If you're hell bent on feeding the MPX-1 will a stereo signal, use sends
1 and 2 (and 3 and 4, etc.) as your L and R sends. The returns would
stay the same. Also remember that a return is an input, so you can come
back into the mixer on mono or stereo input faders.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:

how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

If you've got two Aux Sends, just reserve one for use on channels
panned L, the other for channels panned R. But work out just why you
need a "stereo" send. Should you maybe be using channel or group
Inserts?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 3, 1:24 pm, Adam wrote:
how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo?

This isn't something that you find on budget priced mixers. You
probably wouldn't like an answer like $80,000. And generally they're
not used as effect sends, they're used as headphone cue sends so you
can easily make a stereo headphone mix.

The reason why it's rare to feed an effect device in stereo from a
single channel is simple - there's only a mono signal going into the
channel, so there's no "stereo source." It would make some degree of
sense to have a stereo effect send on a stereo mixer channel, but then
you don't usually find stereo input channels on mixers that have
stereo aux (headphone cue) sends.

You might as well learn to work with what you have. You aren't going
to get any better. Of course most mixers, even the low end ones, have
two aux sends per channel, so you could use one for the left and one
for the right feed to an effect unit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

You might as well learn to work with what you have. You aren't going
to get any better. Of course most mixers, even the low end ones, have
two aux sends per channel, so you could use one for the left and one
for the right feed to an effect unit.

When I taught a MIDI course at the University level, I had a student who
insisted that he needed to use two MIDI channels for drums. When I asked
why, he said, "Because they're stereo".
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:

how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

It'll cost you ten cents. Get some white tape, and write "AUX 1 LEFT"
"AUX 1 RIGHT" and stick them over everything that says "AUX 1" and "AUX 2"
on the console. Then use more white tape to put "AUX 2 LEFT" and "AUX 2
RIGHT" on the Aux 3 and Aux 4 labels. Voila! You have stereo aux busses
now!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:
how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

It'll cost you ten cents. Get some white tape, and write "AUX 1 LEFT"
"AUX 1 RIGHT" and stick them over everything that says "AUX 1" and "AUX 2"
on the console. Then use more white tape to put "AUX 2 LEFT" and "AUX 2
RIGHT" on the Aux 3 and Aux 4 labels. Voila! You have stereo aux busses
now!
--scott

Great humor. Of course, this wouldn't get the AUX output to follow
the pan pots.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:
how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

It'll cost you ten cents. Get some white tape, and write "AUX 1 LEFT"
"AUX 1 RIGHT" and stick them over everything that says "AUX 1" and "AUX
2"
on the console. Then use more white tape to put "AUX 2 LEFT" and "AUX 2
RIGHT" on the Aux 3 and Aux 4 labels. Voila! You have stereo aux busses
now!
--scott

Great humor. Of course, this wouldn't get the AUX output to follow
the pan pots.

I think there's a twelve step program for people who like to move panpots
around mid song.

Blue Oyster Cult Anonymous, or something like that.

More cowbell!

Less panpot!

But it was a pretty cool effect if you were a stoned 15 year old with
headphones, back in the day.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 3, 6:54 pm, Agent 86 wrote:

I think there's a twelve step program for people who like to move panpots
around mid song.

Just because you have pan pots doesn't mean that you have to move
them. It's pretty tricky to position something where you want it in a
stereo field at the level you want it when you have to do it by
adjusting the level of both channels independently. We've come a long
way since we had to walk ten miles to school in the snow (uphill, both
ways).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:
how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..

It'll cost you ten cents. Get some white tape, and write "AUX 1 LEFT"
"AUX 1 RIGHT" and stick them over everything that says "AUX 1" and "AUX 2"
on the console. Then use more white tape to put "AUX 2 LEFT" and "AUX 2
RIGHT" on the Aux 3 and Aux 4 labels. Voila! You have stereo aux busses
now!

Great humor. Of course, this wouldn't get the AUX output to follow
the pan pots.

Why would you want that? That defeats the whole purpose of aux busses.

I don't think any console has ever been built that way... the aux would
not only be postfader but post-aux.

I suppose you could get API to build you one, but you wouldn't like it.
Working with postfader effects is a bloody pain.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
chestek chestek is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tobiah wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:24:42 -0400, Adam wrote:
how much does it cost, roughly, to get a mixer where the aux sends are
stereo? any suggestions on a model? i need to replace this mixer soon
anyways..
It'll cost you ten cents. Get some white tape, and write "AUX 1 LEFT"
"AUX 1 RIGHT" and stick them over everything that says "AUX 1" and "AUX 2"
on the console. Then use more white tape to put "AUX 2 LEFT" and "AUX 2
RIGHT" on the Aux 3 and Aux 4 labels. Voila! You have stereo aux busses
now!

Great humor. Of course, this wouldn't get the AUX output to follow
the pan pots.

Why would you want that? That defeats the whole purpose of aux busses.

I don't understand why that defeats the "whole purpose" of aux busses?
A true "stereo" effects unit will image differently if the input signal
comes in "panned" left or right, and the engineer might want to have
that imaging follow the panning of the source track as well.

I don't think any console has ever been built that way...

Well, my Sony MXP-3036 comes configured with a stereo aux send (5 and 6)
that has a dedicated panpot, AND a switch to allow it to follow the
2-mix panpot (postfader) if you like. Mostly it gets used for headphone
cue mixes, but you can certainly use it for an effects send too.

Of course (getting back to the OP's question above), MXPs are going for
between $8000-$15,000 (US$), draw about 1000 watts of power (without
automation), require 1 1/2 to 2 tons of air conditioning year-round, and
run about 8 feet wide. Probably overkill for the OP.... :-}

the aux would
not only be postfader but post-aux.

??????

I suppose you could get API to build you one, but you wouldn't like it.
Working with postfader effects is a bloody pain.

I use postfader effects almost all the time. I'm not following why
they're a bloody pain. As opposed to pre-fader effects???

--scott

JChestek
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On May 5, 12:24 pm, chestek
wrote:

I don't understand why that defeats the "whole purpose" of aux busses?
A true "stereo" effects unit will image differently if the input signal
comes in "panned" left or right, and the engineer might want to have
that imaging follow the panning of the source track as well.

This is true for certain processors, but many of them just combine the
left and right inputs, send them to one "engine" and get a stereo
output. The input panning is preserved in the "dry" output if you're
using it in-line using a wet/dry mix coming out, but the stereo that
comes from the reverb processor is whatever environment it's
simulating.

So, to turn on my condescending mode, if you really understood your
effect processor, it would be a valid thing to look for, but then if
you had a true stereo processor, understaood it, and used it in that
mode, you'd probably have a console with a couple of stereo auxiliary
sends.

Well, my Sony MXP-3036 comes configured with a stereo aux send (5 and 6)
that has a dedicated panpot, AND a switch to allow it to follow the
2-mix panpot (postfader) if you like. Mostly it gets used for headphone
cue mixes, but you can certainly use it for an effects send too.

There are a few others, and it's easy for digital consoles to do. The
Mackie dxb gives you a choice of pairing two aux sends "knobs" as a
level and a pan, or as two level controls. Most people use them as
you do, for cue mixes when in the stereo mode.

I use postfader effects almost all the time. I'm not following why
they're a bloody pain. As opposed to pre-fader effects???

Most people use post-fader effect sends. Pre-fader effects are kind of
a special effect, when you fade out a channel and leave the reverb
up.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Tobiah wrote:
If they made a 'stereo send', wouldn't they just take the split signal
after the pan pot?

There are consoles that have stereo sends. All of the stereo sends that
I've ever seen have had a dedicated pan pot to that send. The channel
fader's pan pot still has nothing to do with the stereo aux send.

Using a mono aux send to feed an outboard reverb, etc is very common.
Even if the reverb has a L/R input.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 06 May 2007 01:55:07 GMT, Raw-Tracks
wrote:

There are consoles that have stereo sends. All of the stereo sends that
I've ever seen have had a dedicated pan pot to that send. The channel
fader's pan pot still has nothing to do with the stereo aux send.

Using a mono aux send to feed an outboard reverb, etc is very common.
Even if the reverb has a L/R input.

I don't know if the op has quite realised that an effect in a send
loop is normally set to 100% wet.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
I don't know if the op has quite realised that an effect in a send
loop is normally set to 100% wet.

I'm starting to realize that.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
chestek chestek is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On May 5, 12:24 pm, chestek
wrote:

I don't understand why that defeats the "whole purpose" of aux busses?
A true "stereo" effects unit will image differently if the input signal
comes in "panned" left or right, and the engineer might want to have
that imaging follow the panning of the source track as well.

This is true for certain processors, but many of them just combine the
left and right inputs, send them to one "engine" and get a stereo
output. The input panning is preserved in the "dry" output if you're
using it in-line using a wet/dry mix coming out, but the stereo that
comes from the reverb processor is whatever environment it's
simulating.

I know that; That's what I meant to say by "true "stereo" effects unit".
(maybe the quotation marks threw you off!) ;-)

So, to turn on my condescending mode, if you really understood your
effect processor, it would be a valid thing to look for, but then if
you had a true stereo processor, understaood it, and used it in that
mode, you'd probably have a console with a couple of stereo auxiliary
sends.

And I do almost all of my work on such consoles all the time (SSL E and
J, Sony MXP, etc). Shoot, even mixing in the box in Protools or Logic I
can set up stereo effects sends easily. But it's pretty rare for me to
feel the need to send a stereo signal to an effects processor, so I save
the resources for other uses.

Well, my Sony MXP-3036 comes configured with a stereo aux send (

There are a few others, and it's easy for digital consoles to do.

yup, see above. Many ways to skin that cat.

I use postfader effects almost all the time. I'm not following why
they're a bloody pain. As opposed to pre-fader effects???

Most people use post-fader effect sends. Pre-fader effects are kind of
a special effect, when you fade out a channel and leave the reverb
up.

This I know also....I was trying to get Scott to explain why post-fader
effect sends are such a "bloody pain in the ass".....

JChestek

adding aux send/return adam Pro Audio 7 January 5th 07 01:20 AM
POD- "send/return" monitoring [email protected] Pro Audio 6 July 21st 05 02:01 PM
return of the digipots Fox Vacuum Tubes 2 April 1st 05 07:56 AM
If you like I could send you a PDF dale Pro Audio 3 March 1st 05 05:27 AM
The Return of the King Sandman Audio Opinions 4 December 24th 03 07:19 AM