Phil Allison

Default Simple AM tuner?

"Patrick Turner"

** Ohhhhh no - here we ****ing go again - another off topic,
Turneroid, boring concerto for solo trumpet. Loads of dud and sour notes
included - whether you dam well like them or not.

I use a couple of AM tuners, one of which is a 4 tube type,
with RF amp, mixer, IF amp, cathode follower detector with diodes,
and a tone control with +/- 6 db of adjust at 10 kHz.
This has a nice SET AF amp with two tubes, and NFB.
The AF BW is 20Hz to 10 kHz.

** The Turneroid is once again describing his kitchen radio.

AM tuners with at least the ones with a 6BE6, or 6AN7 input tube, with a
6BA6
IF amp, and proper IF transformers with a switchable
coupling coil on the first IFT to increase the IF BW, and thus the AF BW,
are sometimes found in some of the japanese Kenwood receivers,
and perhaps some other old radios, whose AF amps and speakers are crap,
but whose RF stages are passable.

** The Turneroid is one again describing his wet dreams.

the solid state AM tuners I have heard have poor AF BW,
and rather high distortion levels.

** Who the hell gives a fart ridden, smelly ** **** ** what the
Turneroid HAS NOT EVER ****ING SEEN ???

This repulsive, posturing, autistic PIG thinks his ** ignorance** is in
and of itself ** NEWS ** that planet earth must be just dying to hear
!!!!!

Lemme tell you - there is only one Turneroid piece of news the planet
needs to read - his obituary.

I have a real beaut in mind.

........... Phil

Patrick Turner

Phil again spits the dummy in a big way because I dared to
to say a lot more about what to look for if looking for an AM tuner.

Stand alone tubed AM tuners are thin on the ground.

Some are too primitive to function with low distortion,
wide AF bandwidth, and thus be a pleasure to listen to,
especially with the better quality AM signals being transmitted by
some stations, ( but certainly not by all ).

My kitchen radio which I designed and built is better than a Quad
AM tuner I have, and better than all the other old radios I have heard,
repaired, tweaked, etc,
bcause I took the trouble to eliminate the major non linearities
which riddle nearly every two tube AM tuner used so commonly in
most old designs.

Folks who have incorporated my ideas into their sets have always been happy.

My kitchen radio is as follows:-

I use an old loosely coupled RF input coil, with a 4 metre long wire
antenna, set up over a window where I found the reception to be best.
The chassis is earthed via a 1 metre wire to a water pipe running under
where the radio sits.

The RF input stage is a twin triode remote cut off type, used to
control the signal level from the AVC voltage generated in the detector.
There is a twin stagger tuned RF input stage to the input of the 6AN7
frequency converter with enough selectivity to prevent cross modulation
of a wanted 300 watt weak station, which may be only 45 kHz
away on the dial from a station pumping out 5,000 watts, only a mile away .
There is little sideband cutting and restriction of AF BW with my input stage.
There are two IFTs, the first with a sliding coil, to vary the critical coupling

between each winding, and thus flatten the bandpass filter contour of the IF
amp,
to suit wide AF BW, yet still have steep skirt selectivity.
I use a 6BX6 with current FB from an unbypassed cathode R to amplify
the IF, and the last coil of IFT2 is fed to a CF using a 12AU7.
No AVC is applied to the freq.converter, or IF stage, so the
IF signal is amplified far more linearly than with a 6BA6,
or other vari mu tube, which have to produce around
15vrms to make the sufficient output voltage to power the last IFT and detector.

From the CF cathode there is a germanium diode which is pre-biased with
with a constant DC to keep the diode turned on, so the diode does not
add flat spots to the signal when the signal is weak.
There is a second CF, to drive a passive tone control, and finally
a 250k pot adjusts the gain to a two stage feedabck amp, with an SET
EL34 driven by a 12AX7, both halves paralled.
The mono speaker is a 12" reflexed, plus a tweeter.
It is non tiring to listen to, and goes loud enough
with 1/4 of a watt, and can be listened to at 3 feet away for hours

A lot can be done with tubes in AM tuners, it just takes
a month or two of study,
and a pile of usable parts, and about a month's full time to build and de-bug.

The local but 300watt station I really liked had a rythm and blues show on
fridays,
and it was just dreamy.
But now that station has gone to FM.
The Govt run ABC Radio National and the excellent sounding print handicapped
station
are the other two left worth a listen; both put out a good signal, most of the
time,
but the ABC sometimes clips and limits its sound, which makes the announcers
sound very nasally.

I am unable to suggest where anyone might buy an AM tuner;
I have a few laying around, but I would prefer to keep them awhile longer.

Someone told me AM broadcasting will grind to an end
within a few years, because digital radio will become affordable, and dominant
in the market place.
So to enjoy old radios, we will have to make our own local
very low power AM re-transmitters.

Below, Phil has little to contribute on the subject of AM tuners,
and ends his post by wishing I was quite dead,
after using all sorts of swear words,
so I can't imagine why anyone would ever take him seriously.

Patrick Turner.

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

John Byrns

In article , "Phil
Allison" wrote:

"Patrick Turner"

** Ohhhhh no - here we ****ing go again - another off topic,
Turneroid, boring concerto for solo trumpet. Loads of dud and sour notes
included - whether you dam well like them or not.

How do you figure this is Off Topic? It's certainly not Off Topic here in
rec.audio.tubes, check the charter if don't believe me.

I use a couple of AM tuners, one of which is a 4 tube type,
with RF amp, mixer, IF amp, cathode follower detector with diodes,
and a tone control with +/- 6 db of adjust at 10 kHz.
This has a nice SET AF amp with two tubes, and NFB.
The AF BW is 20Hz to 10 kHz.

** The Turneroid is once again describing his kitchen radio.

OK, but it is an interesting radio, and as is often the case, the design
contains some elements that I don't agree with, and others that I do, but
in any case it is worth examining, and considering. This kitchen radio
would make an interesting subject for a detailed article on Patrick's web
pages, or maybe it already is well covered there, I admit that I have only
visited Patrick's web pages for information on his transformers, which are
clearly an area where he is second to none, and where I fully agree with
his opinions.

In "aus.hi-fi", where this thread originated prior to your brining it
here, you said, " ** Try to track down a pre loved Audiosound AM100 -
Aussie made tuner. It uses just two valves. Best hi-fi AM broadcast
tuner ever made - and I do not say that lightly." Why don't you give us
a little more detail on this Audiosound AM100 tuner, like what makes it so
great, what sort of circuit topology does it use, what two valves does it
use, and does it use any semiconductor devices? Give us something with
more meat than these simple one liners.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
John Byrns

Hi Patrick,

Have you posted the schematic for your "kitchen radio", it might help
answer a few of my questions that follow.

You say you use "an old loosely coupled RF input coil", "loosely coupled"
is sort of vague, but of more interest is the tuning of the primary and
secondary windings of the RF input coil. Am I correct in assuming that
the secondary winding of the RF input coil is tuned by the main variable
tuning capacitor? How is the primary of the RF input coil tuned, does it
resonate with the antenna above or below the MW broadcast band?

Your RF input stage using a twin triode remote cut off tube sounds most
interesting. Can you give us a few words describing the circuit topology
these two triodes are used in? Is AVC voltage applied to both triodes?

You say you use a twin stagger tuned RF filter network between the RF
amplifier and the frequency converter stages. Does this mean you use a
four gang tuning capacitor, one gang for the Antenna coil, two for the RF
interstage network, and the fourth gang for the local oscillator? Why did
you pick a "twin stagger tuned RF" network, instead of a double tuned
bandpass filter network, to use between the stages? How to you maintain
the proper "stagger" of the two filters as you tune across the MW band?

You mention a sliding coil on the first IFT to vary the coupling, was this
set once when the radio was built to achieve the desired response, or is
it adjustable in use by some sort of front panel control?

Does applying AGC voltage to only the RF stage provide enough control to
attenuate local 50 kW flame throwers?

How about putting a schematic on your web pages?

Regards,

John Byrns

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

[...]

From the CF cathode there is a germanium diode which is pre-biased with
[...]

Phil Allison

"John Byrns" ...
"Phil Allison"

"Patrick Turner"

** Ohhhhh no - here we ****ing go again - another off topic,
Turneroid, boring concerto for solo trumpet. Loads of dud and sour

notes
included - whether you dam well like them or not.

How do you figure this is Off Topic?

** It was posted on aus.hi-fi is response to a question about were to BUY
an basic AM tuner.

............ Phil

Patrick Turner

John Byrns wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Have you posted the schematic for your "kitchen radio", it might help
answer a few of my questions that follow.

I should indeed post the circuit of the kitchen radio which I have used for the last
5 yrs.
People may doubt it even exists, so I will post picture soon.

You say you use "an old loosely coupled RF input coil", "loosely coupled"
is sort of vague, but of more interest is the tuning of the primary and
secondary windings of the RF input coil.

Many old readios had such a coil, with one winding of litz wire pied coils to
resonate
with a tuning gang section, and the other litz wire winding which is not closely
coupled to
tuned winding, because they didn't want the antenna and its capacitance to react
with
the tuned winding. It just means there is a fair gap on the coil former
between the two coils.
Another way of doing a similar thing is to use a tap down the bottom of the tuned
coil,
so the coil acts as an auto tranny, and the tap is a low impedance input.
Oe other receiver I have uses a ferrite rod antenna, whose single coil acts
as the L of the input LC network, and these input circuits are fairly high Q,
and getting the oscilator to track the tuned peak in the RF response isn't all that
easy.
But the one I have has been cajoled into co-operating after selecting
values rather carefully, and the 6BE6 6BA6 mixer IFamp does pretty well for itself

Am I correct in assuming that
the secondary winding of the RF input coil is tuned by the main variable
tuning capacitor?

Yes. Standard practice on 1,001 old radios which don't use ferrite antennas.

How is the primary of the RF input coil tuned, does it
resonate with the antenna above or below the MW broadcast band?

I am not sure where the self resonance occurs; wherever it is, it probaly varies
with the length of wire used as the antenna, ideally about 2 metres is plenty for
local stations.

Your RF input stage using a twin triode remote cut off tube sounds most
interesting. Can you give us a few words describing the circuit topology
these two triodes are used in? Is AVC voltage applied to both triodes?

The description of the RF input is more correctly and accurately described as
follows,
from my notes, which I have dug out again after 5 years:-

Input coil is an old radio loosely coupled two winding coil,
with an adjustable ferrite core. I acquired a few of these after installing
ferrite antennas in other older radios.
one of the 3 tuning gangs tunes the "secondary" of this RF input tranny.
I have a carbon 39k resistor to couple this first LC to a second LC tuned circuit,
and the coil is 1/2 a section from an IFT with a ferrite core which I reduced the
turns
to make it work with a tuning gang section.
This comprises the stagger tuned input, so the BW at the bottom end of the band
remained wide enough to not do much sideband cutting at 530 kHz.
At the top end of the band, 1,700 kHz, the RF BW wide enough.

The RF amp is a 6ES8, or 6BQ7, and is a cascode amp, with a 22k resistance load.
The bottom section has its gain controlled by the AVC voltage.
Its gain with a powerful local is quite low, and although the linearity
of such a stage is poor if a signal of 20vrms were to be considered,
at a mV at which it operates, the linearity is quite good.
The 6AN7 mixer is an Oz made triode heptode, with fixed bias of -1.4v applied
to the RF input, and the oscilator input is taken from the triode oscillator
grid, which has a tuned LC attatched, powered by a winding from the triode anode
circuit.
The rest I have explained.

There are thus only two cascaded tuned circuits prior to the mixer input, but these
are enough to produce sufficient selectivity of a weak 300w station 2XX at say 1,008
kHz
and reject the effect of a 5,000 watt station 2CA at 1,053 kHz, when both these
stations are
within a mile of each other and only 4 miles away from where I live.
Nearly all other radios, especially the SS types would allow 2CA to be heard in the
background
when tuned to 2XX.
Other powerful interstate stations at 1,008 kHz sometimes also interferred with 2XX,

but I found a short wire antenna worked best to minimise this, and
a different cure to using a ferrite rodded antenna, which has to be
directioned to favour the wanted station.

I have been toying with the idea of using a 2 mHz IF frequency,
which would then allow somewhat more critically coupled IFTs,
but because the IF is higher than 455 kHz, the IF BW would be greater
if the Q of the IF circuits was the same as with the 455 kHz.
I should not then need a variable coupling on IFT1.
In order to broaden the IF BW, 100k resistors have been used to shunt all 4 IFT
coils,
and this acts as damping to reduce the Q, which would be too high
to maintain enough IF bandwidth to prevent sideband cutting, thus restricting the AF
BW.
We need 20 kHz of IF BW, so that we get +/- 10 kHz of AF bandwidth.
Most old radios have only 4 to 8 kHz of IF BW, which permits only
2 to 4 kHz of AF BW.
SS IF stages are often single tuned circuits, not even real critically coupled IFTs,

so they don't have a true bandpass flat topped selectivity shape, and BW
is often so poor as to allow only 2 kHz of AF BW, and boosting the treble control
to compensate does nothing, because the roll off above 2 kHz is severe.

I also have a Radiola 805G chassis which was touted as being a "Rolls Royce"
of AM sets, with 3 gang tuner cap, 2 x tuned RF coils, and input pentode,
and two stage IF, and the sound was described as the "finest available" but
when I aligned the sample I found properly, the AF BW was 2 kHz.
This set has a full PP AF amp with 6V6 outputs, and my version of paraphase 6SL7
input,
and highly modified detector and tone control circuits to replace the appallingly
concieved existing circuits.
The IFTs are damped with Rs across the coils, and the set just
manages 7 kHz of AF BW, over 3 times what it was ex the factory in 1958.

Most old radios were just junk, in terms of audio BW, thd/imd, & noise.
The SS types using just 3 transistors were worse.
There were some solid state receivers with "real" IFTs which were better,
such as the early discrete component Pioneer.
A guy gave me one, but alas the ferrite adjustable cores had been glued in tightly,
and a turn on these horrible tiny little coils in tiny cans with an allen key
fractured a couple of the cores, rendering them useless.

There are some very awful TRF 3 pin chip tuners around.

One could make a reasonable TRF with 4 LC circuits, but usually the Q
has to be high for selectivity, and 4 tuned LC coils are needed,
but they are a pain to adjust for tracking, and the AF BW lousy, so I prefer
the superheterodyne with IFTs.

I did try to make a synchrodyne, with wide AF BW, using tubes,
But I gave up after a fortnight, and went to the s.het, which was far better.

You say you use a twin stagger tuned RF filter network between the RF
amplifier and the frequency converter stages. Does this mean you use a
four gang tuning capacitor, one gang for the Antenna coil, two for the RF
interstage network, and the fourth gang for the local oscillator? Why did
you pick a "twin stagger tuned RF" network, instead of a double tuned
bandpass filter network, to use between the stages?

There is only one pair of stagger tuned circuits, prior to the RF amp, which is a
simple
amp with R load.
The tuning of the two RF LC coils spreads apart as the radio is tuned to
the bottom end of the band, but comes closer at the top end.

How to you maintain
the proper "stagger" of the two filters as you tune across the MW band?

By adjustment of the ferrite cores, trimmer caps, and adjustable vanes
on the tuning gang.
It did take a long time to align the front end, and make the oscillator
track properly.

You mention a sliding coil on the first IFT to vary the coupling, was this
set once when the radio was built to achieve the desired response, or is
it adjustable in use by some sort of front panel control?

knob on the front turns 90 degrees, with a rod reaching back to a lever,
which slides a coil about 3/8 of an inch on IFT1, thus either making the response
nose of the IFT pointed, or rabbit ear.
I normally leave it set for wide band.
The side skirts of the selectivity remain steep enough.

Does applying AGC voltage to only the RF stage provide enough control to
attenuate local 50 kW flame throwers?

The AVC ( AGC ) voltage is appied to only the input RF amp.
The AVC action is not as good as sets where the AVC is also applied to
the mixer and IF stage, so the 300w station has to be turned up a little,
and the 5 kw station down a little, which I don't mind.
( Flame throwing broadcasts from ppl like Andre and Phil
are completely rejected by this radio.)

When I tested the radio with a variable input source, I was satisfied
that it had a good amount of overload capacity, probably
50 kW would be OK, when the RF amp acts almost cut right off,
with the couping from the copper canned input LC coils
becoming due to stray capacitive coupling, rather than relying
onj passing through the cascode circuit.
Reducing the antenna length reduces RF input, but the antenna shouldn't be too
short,
or I get reciever noise.

How about putting a schematic on your web pages?

Eventually I will, when I upgrade the content, soon, since the prices are all old
fashioned
after two years, and I have collected more stuff to post.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

John Byrns

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

[...]

From the CF cathode there is a germanium diode which is pre-biased with
[...]

Patrick Turner

How do you figure this is Off Topic?

** It was posted on aus.hi-fi is response to a question about were to BUY
an basic AM tuner.

........... Phil

Somebody cross posted a reply at aus.hi-fi to RAT,
and afaik, to make a bigger better opportunity to flame me.

The thread has now moved on beyond the initial request
for where a bloke could buy an AM tuner.

Patrick Turner.

Phil Allison

"Patrick Turner"

How do you figure this is Off Topic?

** It was posted on aus.hi-fi is response to a question about were to

BUY
an basic AM tuner.

Somebody cross posted a reply at aus.hi-fi to RAT,
and afaik, to make a bigger better opportunity to flame me.

** The reply from the Turneroid was posted exactly as I stated above - ie
all useless, self aggrandising and WRONG.

Lucky for the Turneroid my flames are only verbal.