Dan S

Default Xtant 1001dx amp,loose part, no sound

I posted about this a couple weeks ago.Powers on, fan runs, but no sound.I
have looked it over and noticed the square piece in the picture, circled in
red: http://home.earthlink.net/~dan4406/xtxnt2.jpg is loose.It slides back
and forth, looks like it has some clear goop near the bottom suppose to keep
it in place.
I am curious if anyone here thinks this could be the problem?What is this
piece called?
I have called a few stereo repair shops in my city and 1st said they would
have to send it to xtant to repair and the other shop wants $69 up front
just to look at it ( but will apply to the repair).
Anyone have any thoughts on this.I don't have much money to spend on fixing
this.Thanks.

pete

"Dan S" wrote in message
I posted about this a couple weeks ago.Powers on, fan runs, but no sound.I
have looked it over and noticed the square piece in the picture, circled

in
red: http://home.earthlink.net/~dan4406/xtxnt2.jpg is loose.It slides back
and forth, looks like it has some clear goop near the bottom suppose to

keep
it in place.
I am curious if anyone here thinks this could be the problem?What is this
piece called?
I have called a few stereo repair shops in my city and 1st said they would
have to send it to xtant to repair and the other shop wants $69 up front
just to look at it ( but will apply to the repair).
Anyone have any thoughts on this.I don't have much money to spend on

fixing
this.Thanks.

The component is a transformer. There are a number of wires coming out of
this and they should be soldered to the board underneath. If the transformer
is not mounted correctly that could have caused one or more of the wires to
break away.
Look underneath the board in the region of the transformer - look closely at
there the wires attach. Broken connectors may be obvious, or you may have to
resolder each one to be sure. The transformer itself should be mounted in
some way that reduces stress on the connectors - if its just been left
floating then thats a pretty sure recipe for the wires breaking. The "clear
goop" could be epoxy resin mounting.
If you're not comfortable with handling and soldering electronic components,
keep in mind that botched attempts to repair will either trash the amp, or
cost a lot more than $69 to repair. How does $69 compare with the cost or
replacing the amp?

ampdoc

$69.00 is too high for an estimate, most shops around here (including mine)
only charge $15.00 for an estimate, and actually the part referenced in the
photo is an inductor. I totally agree about botched repair attempts, I had a
newer Fosgate brought into the shop yesterday that was broken beyond
resonable repair... the guy yanked the burned transistors off the MEHSA
strips with pliers, taking off the coper and the traces from the pcb with
it, along with breaking chunks out of the PCB. If you don't have a good
local shop UPS it over, estimate is $15.00 and we will call for aproval
before we fix it.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc
"pete" wrote in message

"Dan S" wrote in message
[...]

Dan S

[...]

I don't mind paying for the repair but I just don't have the money to spend
$300 fixing this.
a repair under $150 would be fine.sounds like there may only be labor and
not parts involved here.

Stephen Narayan

Contact Ge0 on this group he can repair it for you....if you can't
find his email address from any of his recent posts contact me by
email and I'll fwd it to you..

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:41:25 GMT, "Dan S" wrote:

[...]

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection |
No System.....yup that's right.
Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html