Pug Fugley

Default Xtant 603 questions

Well, if you remember my previous posts I'm still kicking around the idea of
getting an amp to simplify and replace my Zapcos & Symbilink stuff. I found
out today that it will cost a small fortune to get my big Zapco repaired
(thanks to faulty parts that they put in it) and this is the 2nd time it's
been repaired so I just can't keep doing that.

So if I replace them, I'll have a budget of about $450. So far the Xtant 603
and Orion 7005 have the features I want and I'm leaning towards the Xtant
because of their reputation. But I have some questions about the 603:

1) First off, why the hell are there so many refurbished 603's??? There are
TONS of them on Ebay, all refurbished. I don't mind buying refurb if the
quality is just as good as new..any reason not to go refurb?

2) The specs are kind of confusing the way they say them. All I want is a
24db/octave high pass variable crossover on the front channels, and a
24db/octave variable low pass on the sub channel. Is that how it works on
this amp?

3) Lastly, are the pre-MTX amps preferred over the current ones?

I'll also welcome any suggestions for other 3 or 5 channel amps with 24db
variable crossovers built in for around $450-ish.

Also interested in any opinion on the Orion 7005. It just seems cheaper
though.

Gmac

1) it is a relitivly new amp they may have had a bad run of them
2) YEP
3)The only effect I can see from xtant and mtx coming together is in
the A series amps the a basicaly an mtx amp repackaged but they do not
hide it, the x series amps are still top notch amps but they are not
toys they are set them once and go. They are not manufatured for the
everyday person, Doing the setting alot are done usinf jumpers or
potentiamoters that are located right on the circuit board.

If you want a simpler amp look at the jl 500/4 it has two strong front
channels and two low powered rear channels wich is great, I have always
had a problem with 4 channel amps because for good imaging you want the
rears to have much less power and very often alot of power goes to
waset, and a reasonable sub channel.
stay away from the alpine 5 channel amps
Can not thing of ne other 3 channels besides the xtant.

--
Gmac

Pug Fugley

"Gmac" wrote in message

1) it is a relitivly new amp they may have had a bad run of them
2) YEP
3)The only effect I can see from xtant and mtx coming together is in
the A series amps the a basicaly an mtx amp repackaged but they do not
hide it, the x series amps are still top notch amps but they are not
toys they are set them once and go. They are not manufatured for the
everyday person, Doing the setting alot are done usinf jumpers or
potentiamoters that are located right on the circuit board.

Oh I don't mind that. If you think some jumpers and pots are hard to work
with you should try wiring up a system with a combination of part RCA and
part Zapco Symbilink! That's one reason I want to simplify the setup
itself..I don't mind if the amp itself has lots of options. I just want to
get rid of some wiring and some components.

Gmac

Well then go for it, it will be a great amp. But now I got no problem
with pots and jumpers I just like to change setting constintly and
having to take the cover off to do that would suck

--
Gmac

Paul Vina

Any of the Xtants are fine, pre or post Mitek. Second, a refurb is anything
that goes back to a manufacturer for *any reason*. If a dealer goes under
and send their stock back to the manufacturer, it's a b-stock, or refurb. I
would have no problem buying a refurb.

Paul Vina

.net...