Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Larry Lindstrom Larry Lindstrom is offline

Default Advice For Fix of AKG K270 Headphone?

Hi Folks:

Please tell me if there is a more appropriate group to post this
question.

I have a 10 year old AKG K270 headphone.

I've been happy with it.

Now the right ear cup has gone silent. I can get it to come back
if I wiggle the headphone cable where it enters the left ear
assembly.

I'd like to survey the situation, and see if this is something I
might fix myself.

I can't figure out how to get access to the insides of the left ear
assembly.

I did find a picture on AKG's site that shows an exploded diagram
of the headphone, at

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...5d2461a150.pdf

There is a small round plate on the left side, 1 3/8 inch in
diameter, item 11, that appears to cover a screw, which will allow me
to get into the assembly so I can access the wires at the end of the
headphone cable.

This plate has two indentations, one with a lip that I can get a
knife under, that might allow me to pry it off. The other indentation
is 90 to that one with no lip. I don't know if this plate is pried
off or screwed off.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks
Larry
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...055d2461a150.p
df

There is a small round plate on the left side, 1 3/8 inch in
diameter, item 11, that appears to cover a screw, which will allow me
to get into the assembly so I can access the wires at the end of the
headphone cable.

This plate has two indentations, one with a lip that I can get a
knife under, that might allow me to pry it off. The other indentation
is 90 to that one with no lip. I don't know if this plate is pried
off or screwed off.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

I had a similar situation with my similarly aged Grados and ended up
sending them to the factory even though I might only need a new
connector plug. In my case, I chose to trust expertise.

Proceed with caution!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Larry Lindstrom Larry Lindstrom is offline

On Jul 11, 2:21*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,
*Larry Lindstrom wrote:

Hi Folks:

* *Please tell me if there is a more appropriate group to post this
question.

* *I have a 10 year old AKG K270 headphone.

* *I've been happy with it.

* *Now the right ear cup has gone silent. *I can get it to come back
if I wiggle the headphone cable where it enters the left ear
assembly.

I had a similar situation with my similarly aged Grados and ended up
sending them to the factory even though I might only need a new
connector plug. In my case, I chose to trust expertise.

Proceed with caution!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen:

I'm in a bit of a time crunch, I'd like them this weekend.

The leather on the cushion is also cracking.

These headphones have given me a lot of good service over the
years.

I think you're right, this deserves a factory fix.

I'll see what other responses I get, but I'll probably get in touch
with the AKG Monday.

Thanks
Larry

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

*Larry Lindstrom wrote:

[...]

My sales guy lent me a pair of his to get me through a session! Pretty
good ten years after the purchase. Plan B was to buy $30 Sennheisers at
Guitar Center.

Good luck!

Stephen

headphone advice Alfred Amerio Tech 4 November 19th 06 11:59 AM
RCA to Headphone converter: do not want wireless headphone hpeter Car Audio 4 September 26th 06 02:50 PM
Dolby headphone or just traditional Hi-Fi headphone? Taru Tech 0 July 17th 06 04:33 PM
Headphone advice - Arnii continues to impress outside of RAO Margaret von B. Audio Opinions 57 December 11th 05 07:23 AM
Headphone Advice jim Audio Opinions 4 January 12th 05 02:21 PM