Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default hideous AAD speakers, the "2000 Series"

A friend of mine happened to get a pair of these:
http://www.aadsound.com/products/images/cn_b_1_219.jpg, specifically the
floorstanding units toward the right of the photo.
IMHO, these speakers are examples of the High End gone awry, at its worst.
The frequency response seems to have been contoured to serve as a hearing
aid for hearing impaired individuals in their latter years, who have
disposable income for this sort of folly.

The construction quality is remarkable, which is what lead my friend to go
for them. The lead lined cabinets are the most inert I've personally
sampled. It just shows that bad design decisions can always overcome quality
construction AAD remarks they are not imported into the U.S., perhaps
because the sound is tailored to Far East preferences.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Gary Eickmeier

Robert Morein wrote:

A friend of mine happened to get a pair of these:
http://www.aadsound.com/products/images/cn_b_1_219.jpg, specifically the
floorstanding units toward the right of the photo.
IMHO, these speakers are examples of the High End gone awry, at its worst.
The frequency response seems to have been contoured to serve as a hearing
aid for hearing impaired individuals in their latter years, who have
disposable income for this sort of folly.

The construction quality is remarkable, which is what lead my friend to go
for them. The lead lined cabinets are the most inert I've personally
sampled. It just shows that bad design decisions can always overcome quality
construction AAD remarks they are not imported into the U.S., perhaps
because the sound is tailored to Far East preferences.

So who makes them? Why are you concerned about them? With all of the
drivers on the front of the box, I would not be interested enough to
even audition them. Obviously the product of clueless furniture makers.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

Three drivers, excessive?
Phil Jones, designer, a mere furniture maker?
I think not. Something more diabolical is at work here.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Gary Eickmeier

Robert Morein wrote:

Three drivers, excessive?

.... all on the front of the box.

Phil Jones, designer, a mere furniture maker?
I think not. Something more diabolical is at work here.

Nothing more nor less than just another direct-firing loudspeaker. It is
based on 1950s concepts of how a speaker should be made. But this
wouldn't be the forum to get into that, with all of the ankle biters
that populate this group.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

So who makes them? Why are you concerned about them? With all of the
drivers on the front of the box, I would not be interested enough to even
audition them. Obviously the product of clueless furniture makers.

Simple Gary, just turn the box around backwards, and they will be
at the rear, where you like them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

You might ask him how many drivers HIS speakers have.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Robert Morein wrote:

Three drivers, excessive?

... all on the front of the box.

I have to try to infer what you prefer.
Side-mounted woofer, allowing a narrow front baffle, for reduced cabinet
diffraction effects?
I am aware of the theoretical advantages, but many very fine speakers have
been made with front mounted drivers. Sometimes felt is used to reduce
cabinet diffraction.

The voicing problem I notice with these speakers is, I think, the result of
voicing decisions.
The tweeter is surrounded by a moderately large horn. This is known to louse
up phase coherence, causing a loss of vocal intelligibility I associate with
Klipsch.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
A friend of mine happened to get a pair of these:
http://www.aadsound.com/products/images/cn_b_1_219.jpg, specifically the
floorstanding units toward the right of the photo.
IMHO, these speakers are examples of the High End gone awry, at its worst.
The frequency response seems to have been contoured to serve as a hearing
aid for hearing impaired individuals in their latter years, who have
disposable income for this sort of folly.

The construction quality is remarkable, which is what lead my friend to go
for them. The lead lined cabinets are the most inert I've personally
sampled. It just shows that bad design decisions can always overcome
quality construction AAD remarks they are not imported into the U.S.,
perhaps because the sound is tailored to Far East preferences.

Hi Rob!

I find that really hard to believe. I used to own a pair of Platinum Audio
monitors designed by the very same Phil Jones and they were very competent
within their performance envelope. And at least in my room they had quite
remarkable low end for such small speakers. I think that enterprise went
bust due to some bungled takeover and not the quality of the product. IIRC
the speakers were very room dependent and required precise placement or else
they sounded bright. They were also quite expensive considering their
limitations at around $2.5K per pair and I only bought them used at half the
price.

I just cannot imagine that Phil would have so completely "lost it".

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

So who makes them? Why are you concerned about them? With all of the
drivers on the front of the box, I would not be interested enough to even
audition them. Obviously the product of clueless furniture makers.

Gary Eickmeier

Another dumb bose-ass!

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Gary Eickmeier

Margaret von B. wrote:

Hi Rob!

I find that really hard to believe. I used to own a pair of Platinum Audio
monitors designed by the very same Phil Jones and they were very competent
within their performance envelope. And at least in my room they had quite
remarkable low end for such small speakers. I think that enterprise went
bust due to some bungled takeover and not the quality of the product. IIRC
the speakers were very room dependent and required precise placement or else
they sounded bright. They were also quite expensive considering their
limitations at around $2.5K per pair and I only bought them used at half the
price.

I just cannot imagine that Phil would have so completely "lost it".

Another dumb Platinum ass!

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

[...]

In fairness to Phil Jones, this line is not imported into the U.S. My
friend must have obtained them as a part of a very small special lot.
I read in some publication, somewhere, that some speakers for the Far
East market are voiced specificall for certain instruments, among them the
sitar, and would sound unbalanced to the Western ear. So I draw no
conclusions about Phil Jones's talent, or the sound of the Platinums. At the
NY Hifi exchange, they used to have a dissected Platinum driver on display,
and it was most impressive.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Margaret von B. wrote:

Hi Rob!

I find that really hard to believe. I used to own a pair of Platinum
Audio monitors designed by the very same Phil Jones and they were very
competent within their performance envelope. And at least in my room they
had quite remarkable low end for such small speakers. I think that
enterprise went bust due to some bungled takeover and not the quality of
the product. IIRC the speakers were very room dependent and required
precise placement or else they sounded bright. They were also quite
expensive considering their limitations at around $2.5K per pair and I
only bought them used at half the price.

I just cannot imagine that Phil would have so completely "lost it".

Another dumb Platinum ass!

Gary, glad to see you're getting into the swing of things.
Your next step is to choose your implacable opponent, whose ego you will
attempt to demolish for the next few years.
Choose wisely. Currently, some of the most contentious individuals are
already engaged, but I think Margaret is free.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

Gary Eickmeier said:

Another dumb Platinum ass!

You adapted fast!
Art thou a borg, perchance? ;-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George Middius

Sander deWaal said to Bosemeier:

You adapted fast!
Art thou a borg, perchance? ;-)

Bosey is still in training for full 'borgdom. He is a veteran Kroopologist,
though. Not to mention a puritanical, bible-thumping fascist.

..
..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

Gary, glad to see you're getting into the swing of things.
Your next step is to choose your implacable opponent, whose ego you will
attempt to demolish for the next few years.
Choose wisely. Currently, some of the most contentious individuals are
already engaged, but I think Margaret is free.

I tried, but she wouldn't have me.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

Margaret von B. wrote:

Hi Rob!

I find that really hard to believe. I used to own a pair of Platinum
Audio monitors designed by the very same Phil Jones and they were very
competent within their performance envelope. And at least in my room they
had quite remarkable low end for such small speakers. I think that
enterprise went bust due to some bungled takeover and not the quality of
the product. IIRC the speakers were very room dependent and required
precise placement or else they sounded bright. They were also quite
expensive considering their limitations at around $2.5K per pair and I
only bought them used at half the price.

I just cannot imagine that Phil would have so completely "lost it".

Another dumb Platinum ass!

Gary Eickmeier

I see. What did you not like about the sound of the Platinum monitors? What
amp did you drive then with?

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Gary Eickmeier

Robert Morein wrote:
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Another dumb Platinum ass!

Gary, glad to see you're getting into the swing of things.
Your next step is to choose your implacable opponent, whose ego you will
attempt to demolish for the next few years.
Choose wisely. Currently, some of the most contentious individuals are
already engaged, but I think Margaret is free.

I quote,

"Another dumb bose-ass!

Cheers,

Margaret"

I have no idea who she is, and don't care. Her comment to me
communicates nothing but animosity, the basic spirit of this group. Or
at least some of the bad apples. I just wanted to illustrate the
intelligence level of her comment with equal time. Sort of a tit for tat.

I don't intend to stay, in any case.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

Robert Morein wrote:
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Another dumb Platinum ass!

Gary, glad to see you're getting into the swing of things.
Your next step is to choose your implacable opponent, whose ego you will
attempt to demolish for the next few years.
Choose wisely. Currently, some of the most contentious individuals are
already engaged, but I think Margaret is free.

I quote,

"Another dumb bose-ass!

Cheers,

Margaret"

I have no idea who she is, and don't care. Her comment to me communicates
nothing but animosity, the basic spirit of this group. Or at least some of
the bad apples. I just wanted to illustrate the intelligence level of her
comment with equal time. Sort of a tit for tat.

I don't intend to stay, in any case.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
small drivers. :-)

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the rear!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the rear!

And needing an "equalizer."

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:34:44 GMT, Jenn

"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the rear!

And needing an "equalizer."

And a stand to prop it up.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before
you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all
have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the
rear!

And needing an "equalizer."

For bottom end boost.

And a stand to prop it up.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Clyde Slick" said:

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the rear!

ROTFLMAO!!! Really!!!

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Robert Morein wrote:
[...]

Marge clearly likes her sex objects surrounded by very large magnets
and driven by high current amplifiers.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before
you
come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all
have
small drivers. :-)

And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the
rear!

And needing an "equalizer."

And a stand to prop it up.

And hasn't improved its performance since its heyday of 1972.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: "Clyde Slick" said:
:
:
: Gary, dear, sounds like you need to go and grow some more penis before you
: come back. But it is a well known fact that the guys with 901's all have
: small drivers. :-)
:
:
: And, at least 89% of the time, pointed in the wrong direction, to the rear!
:
:
: ROTFLMAO!!! Really!!!
:
: --
:
: "Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
: - Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

at least, it's recreational :-) and opinionated
R.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:03:18 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

I don't intend to stay, in any case.

Ah, how many have said that, only to still be here years later when
someone else re-visits the NG and says, "I don't believe you people!
How shallow is your learning curve!?" :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

wrote:

I don't intend to stay, in any case.

Ah, how many have said that, only to still be here years
later when someone else re-visits the NG and says, "I
don't believe you people!

Maybe 8-10 people. More probably think it?

How shallow is your learning curve!?" :-)

In most parts of the Usenet world things actually change
over a period of 3-5 years.

This place probably won't change until Middius dies or gets
too senile to post. He has long been too senile to make
sensible posts or mature posts, but that hasn't stopped him.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"paul packer" wrote in message

[snip]
This place probably won't change until Middius dies or gets too senile to
post. He has long been too senile to make sensible posts or mature posts,
but that hasn't stopped him.

Arny, you appear to be a type A with a mesomorphic body build. As such, this
predisposes you to coronary heart disease or a stroke. You could actually
end up in a situation where you are completely crazy, but unable to type.

It is more likely that this group will end up in Middius's kind hands, once
you are listening to organ music for the rest of eternity.;

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel

In , Robert Morein wrote :

It is more likely that this group will end up in Middius's kind hands,

I agree, moreover we have no evidences that Middius is really a human
being... IMHO this kind of plague is eternal. ;-)

--
"Nobody seemes to have actaully read what i wrote.
But what's new around here?"

Dave Weil, Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:57:15
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

It is more likely that this group will end up in Middius's kind hands,

I agree, moreover we have no evidences that Middius is really a human
being... IMHO this kind of plague is eternal. ;-)

Middius as "Deus Ex Machina".....I like that thought. :-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel

In , Sander deWaal wrote :

Lionel said:

It is more likely that this group will end up in Middius's kind hands,

I agree, moreover we have no evidences that Middius is really a human
being... IMHO this kind of plague is eternal. ;-)

Middius as "Deus Ex Machina".....I like that thought. :-)

I like it too... if I am the scene shifter.

--
"Nobody seemes to have actaully read what i wrote.
But what's new around here?"

Dave Weil, Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:57:15
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George Middius

Sander deWaal said to Gibberella:

Middius as "Deus Ex Machina".....I like that thought. :-)

Thank's Mr. Dewdle for, admitting you think like a machine. LOl! ;-)

..
..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

George Middius said:

Sander deWaal said to Gibberella:

Middius as "Deus Ex Machina".....I like that thought. :-)

Thank's Mr. Dewdle for, admitting you think like a machine. LOl! ;-)

1001011010010011110110100
010011110000101010101111001

0011011101011010010 !

0100101 ;-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Ruud Broens" said:

He, that doesn't happen to be the cellphone nr
of Cameron ?

A Cameron of 8 megapixels? Oh dear, the detail! ;-)

Djaz,
R.

Da phunk, dude.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

: "Ruud Broens" said:
:
: He, that doesn't happen to be the cellphone nr
: of Cameron ?
:
:
: A Cameron of 8 megapixels? Oh dear, the detail! ;-)
:

you're right, can get enuf detail here and there :-)

: Djaz,
: R.
:
:
: Da phunk, dude.
:
: --
:
: "Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."

it's like, it's the beginning of some rao-rap,
already
Rdy